Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Re: Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

Post by Pyperkub »

Why Hegseth hasn't been named Head of the VA yet?
while Hegseth's experience as a combat veteran and commentator on Fox would seem to appeal politically to the president, his appointment could extend two disruptive narratives playing out in the White House: marital infidelity and nepotism.

An APM Reports investigation has found Hegseth engaged in two extra-marital affairs with co-workers during two marriages and paid his brother — who had no professional experience — $108,000 to work for him while chief executive of a non-profit. And while running a political action committee in his native Minnesota, Hegseth spent a third of the PAC's money on Christmas parties for families and friends.
Or perhaps he'd fit right in...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

How is this guy not Chief of Staff yet?
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rip wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:35 am
The announcement Thursday night that former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton would replace Gen. H.R. McMaster as President Donald Trump’s National Security Advisor confirms the arrival of a new, distinctive voice in the Trump administration.
On no issue will Bolton’s firm stance present a bigger departure from establishment dogma than his support for an independent Kurdistan.

Bolton has vocally, consistently supported the establishment of an independent Kurdish state, arguing that the Kurds have proven their ability to govern themselves and earned the support of the United States through their reliable cooperation with Washington against a number of jihadist threats, most prominently the Islamic State (ISIS).

The Kurdish people are divided among territories belonging to Turkey, Iran, Iraq, and Syria, making enemies of all these governments. For decades—and in particular recently, when all four countries faced a growing ISIS presence threatening their stability—Kurds of a variety of factions have proven willing to risk the lives of their armies to defend overlapping interests with America. They take their alliance with the United States seriously and rely only on support from Israel among their neighbors.

Yet despite early hope that the Trump administration would support Kurdish aspirations to become independent of the Islamists in Baghdad, Tehran, Ankara, and Damascus, Trump’s Washington has proven fickle. In Iraq, President Trump vowed not to “take sides” between the Kurdish Peshmerga and Iran-backed Shiite militias that have repeatedly threatened to kill Americans. In Syria, America has stood back while Recep Tayyip Erdogan ordered Turkish troops to launch an ethnic cleansing operation against the Syrian Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG/YPJ). The Kurds of Turkey have long been under the heel of an on-again/off-again military occupation in Diyarbakir while Erdogan has arrested any politician who voiced concern for them. It is important to note that, unlike the Peshmerga or the YPG, the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), the violent Kurdish faction in Diyarbakir, is a Marxist, U.S.-designated terrorist organization.
http://www.breitbart.com/national-secur ... istration/

:clap:
We'll see. I'll be happy to give him props if he does. We have bailed on the Kurds too many times since, what 1989? It's shameful. I can't imagine they'd ever trust us again and at the forefront of neneging on partners "for a better deal" is our own POTUS and the Kurds gotta know this.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:52 pm Why Hegseth hasn't been named Head of the VA yet?
while Hegseth's experience as a combat veteran and commentator on Fox would seem to appeal politically to the president, his appointment could extend two disruptive narratives playing out in the White House: marital infidelity and nepotism.

An APM Reports investigation has found Hegseth engaged in two extra-marital affairs with co-workers during two marriages and paid his brother — who had no professional experience — $108,000 to work for him while chief executive of a non-profit. And while running a political action committee in his native Minnesota, Hegseth spent a third of the PAC's money on Christmas parties for families and friends.
He’s the very definition of a modern day Christian at least.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Fortunately it's not this guy:
Enlarge Image

Instead it's Ronny Jackson, the WH physician (appointed by Obama). I don't know his expertise in veteran's affairs, but it could be Trump's least controversial appointment.

Of course it's probably just so Jackson will no longer be in a position to tell Trump to lay off the KFC.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks for clarifying, that's the clown I thought it was.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

He has almost as many degrees on his wall as Windows icons on his desktop. Give that man a job!
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Enough

Post by Enough »

Moliere wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:54 pm He has almost as many degrees on his wall as Windows icons on his desktop. Give that man a job!
No desktop art makes Enough sad.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holy shit, that’s...brilliant.

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Last line super accurate.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:clap:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Apparently (according to journo Twitter) this was another firing-by-tweet? Shulkin knew he was under scrutiny, but Trump didn't contact him personally before announcing his dismissal in 140 characters?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Wouldn't surprise me. Trump's proven that the whole "you're fired" thing was completely an act, and in real life, he absolutely hates that kind of direct confrontation. Have we seen him actually fire someone in person, himself, since taking office?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:52 pm
Fortunately it's not this guy:
Enlarge Image

Instead it's Ronny Jackson, the WH physician (appointed by Obama). I don't know his expertise in veteran's affairs, but it could be Trump's least controversial appointment.

Of course it's probably just so Jackson will no longer be in a position to tell Trump to lay off the KFC.
I would have loved to see Ghoulardi become the personal physician to the president.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh, wow. Just learned that the fired Shulkin is married to my wife's doctor.

Apparently I've been to his house (which was actually quite modest by D.C.-level player standards).
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

David Shulkin: Sacked secretary in parting shot at Trump
Fired US Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin has labelled Washington "toxic" in a parting shot at President Donald Trump.

Mr Shulkin said he was fired because he was opposed to plans within the Trump administration to privatise healthcare for veterans.

President Trump replaced Mr Shulkin on Wednesday with the White House doctor, Rear Admiral Ronny Jackson.

It was the latest in a series of departures from Mr Trump's cabinet.

This month alone, the president has replaced Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and National Security Adviser HR McMaster, while his top economic adviser Gary Cohn also left. Meanwhile, White House communications director Hope Hicks' last day was on Wednesday.

In a scathing column for the New York Times, Mr Shulkin wrote: "As I prepare to leave government, I am struck by a recurring thought: It should not be this hard to serve your country."

He said that in recent months "the environment in Washington has turned so toxic, chaotic, disrespectful and subversive that it became impossible for me to accomplish the important work that our veterans need and deserve".

The former hospital administrator, who first served under President Barack Obama, said "advocates within the administration for privatising" veterans' healthcare services "saw me as an obstacle to privatisation who had to be removed".
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:11 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:52 pm Why Hegseth hasn't been named Head of the VA yet?

He’s the very definition of a modern day Christian at least.

Really? I mean, Really? your attempt at humor is a bit off. That's unlike you.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That was written after watching yet another evangelical defend their claims that Trump is a man of God. A good Christian. It wears on one after a while. I must confess to bouts of extreme cynicism these days. In the past, I've actually defended the very same group around these parts. But, as I said, this current clime is just wearing me down.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, it's really about modern evangelical Christian leadership. Which, incidentally, is a big part of traditional religious support for a church-state separation - the more you get the faith involved in politics, the more the purity of the faith gets sullied.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Head of EPA 'renting' an apartment...or maybe a room...who knows...it is murky from a lobbyist married to an energy lobbyist who has 'no interest in the property'. Reports raised an alarm about his ethics and EPA ran out a retroactive ethics letter. The letter clears him of violating the gift policy because $1500 a month is apparently market rate in DC. To be more clear it is actually $50 a night he physically occupies it. You know because many landlords give people free and clear usage of space on demand. Plus his daughter stays there too while she works in the White House. No one is sure what that arrangement is. Only the best! #draintheswamp

Edit: This is the place where his over-the-top security detail broke down the door because they thought he was having a medical emergency. He was sleeping and EPA paid to replace the door.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

If they justified $1500 in that area as market rate that’s pure bullshit.

It looks like there’s some one bedroom apts around $2000 in the area. 25% less isn’t what I’d call market rate. Not remotely. Plus the article implied it might be a two bedroom. Though with a kitchenette instead of a full kitchen.

At best this was a friend giving a friend a deal. However any federal employee pulling this would be in danger of termination.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Who needs cabinet members when you can keep uninformed talk show opinion hosts on speed dial?
During the first year of the Trump era, the president has patched in Dobbs via speakerphone to multiple meetings in the Oval Office so that he could offer his two cents, according to three sources familiar with these conversations. Trump will ask Dobbs for his opinion before and after his senior aides or Cabinet members have spoken. Occasionally, he will cut off an official so the Fox Business host can jump in.

Dobbs, these sources all independently recounted, has been patched in to senior-level meetings on issues such as trade and tax policy
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm sure no classified information was ever discussed in those meetings. Nothing to see here.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I just heard about Pruitt's Morocco trip.

In short:
-EPA head Scott Pruitt flew a large entourage 1st-class from the U.S. to Morocco for a meeting;
-the trip included two days and nights in Paris on the way there, just because;
-the meeting was 100% about Pruitt lobbying the Moroccan gov't to import U.S. liquefied natural gas;
-the U.S. stockholder with the single greatest interest in natural gas exports is Trump backer Carl Icahn, who personally approved Pruitt's nomination before Trump put it forward;
-the house where Pruitt stayed in D.C. for $50/night is owned by an Icahn nat'l gas company lobbyist;
-none of this has anything whatsoever to do with the stated mission of the EPA.

Rand Paul wrote:.@EPAScottPruitt is likely the bravest and most conservative member of Trump's cabinet. We need him to help @realDonaldTrump drain the regulatory swamp.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rand Paul is just as much a scumbag as the rest of the Trump administration.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wait, Larry Kudlow is now the Director of the National Economic Council? Bring on the young girls and the free cocaine!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

WTF is up with Pruitt's obsession with security? He has more than three dozen full-time security personnel. He has had bullet-proof doors and desks installed in his offices, along with a sound-proof chamber. He never goes anywhere without his guards and armored car, and he seems to believe that passing through the public areas of an airport carries a high risk of being personally attacked.

Paranoid lunatic, or just oligarch strongman chic?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Dismantling environmental regulations and promoting global warming are highly unpopular, so I imagine a lot of people share a justified hostility. IDK that he's hated any more than the rest of Trump's cronies, let alone the head man himself, but I'd be paranoid, too, if I were him. His greatest security is the surety that Trump would replace him with someone even worse.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Enlarge Image
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Oh, well, having the wrong number totally makes up for the fact that he took armed security agents to Disneyland.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:06 am WTF is up with Pruitt's obsession with security? He has more than three dozen full-time security personnel. He has had bullet-proof doors and desks installed in his offices, along with a sound-proof chamber. He never goes anywhere without his guards and armored car, and he seems to believe that passing through the public areas of an airport carries a high risk of being personally attacked.

Paranoid lunatic, or just oligarch strongman chic?
Eco-terrorists, man.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I can't help but notice the tweets complaining about inaccurate numbers failed to supply the correct ones.

So instead of 30 what are we looking at? 23? 19? 8?

How many is multiple? Could 30 be considered multiple? What about 29?

Why let me speculate? Give me the correct, non-outrageous numbers and the conversation ends.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I read that Obama's EPA head had a security detail 1/3 the size, and it was part-time rather than round-the-clock.

And of course there were no bulletproof doors or cones of silence or convoys of armored vans with sirens blaring.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So...about all those death threats which required excessive security.
President Donald Trump cites “death threats” to justify the $3 million round-the-clock security detail for Environmental Protection Agency head Scott Pruitt, who cites his own security to justify lavish spending on first-class air travel.

But details about any threats to Pruitt are sparse. One supposed threat that was investigated was a postcard to Pruitt with the message: “You ignorant f***,” according to EPA records. Authorities also investigated two protesters who interrupted a speech by Pruitt.

The EPA said there were “zero records” about death threats in reply to BuzzFeed investigative reporter Jason Leopold’s request for all information.

The Washington Post sought records under the Freedom of Information Act late last year, asking for “copies of all emails, letters, voicemails and other communication in which Administrator Pruitt was threatened with violence or which were otherwise considered to be threatening to the administrator.” The EPA’s answer, dated early December, was “undetermined,” with “no records released.”
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Not Cabinet level, but still another resignation.

Homeland Security Adviser Thomas Bossert resigning
President Donald Trump's homeland security adviser is resigning in the latest White House departure.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement Tuesday that Thomas Bossert would be leaving his post. She said Trump was "grateful for Tom's commitment to the safety and security of our great country."

Bossert was a point person in the White House on protecting the nation from terror and cyber threats. He also helped spearhead the administration's response to last year's hurricanes in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico.

His exit is the latest in a wave of departures from the West Wing in recent months. It comes a day after new national security adviser John Bolton began his tenure.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
Homeland security adviser Tom Bossert “was pushed out,” multiple White House sources tell @jeffzeleny and @danmericaCNN. Bossert’s departure also caught officials at the National Security council, including those who worked directly with the homeland security adviser, off guard.

Spoiler:
NEWS: Bossert is essentially being fired.

He is resigning at the request of new National Security Adviser John Bolton, I’m told.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Not a cabinet pick, but a judicial nomination

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Ha... she doesn't even know what it is.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Is it weird that not only does her answer not bother me but it sound like the exact non answer she could give to a question like that?