Russia influences election

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Enough

Re: Russia influences election

Post by Enough »

For those on twitter be sure to use that Russian troll bot test link I posted before this, it's absolutely nuts how many bots you can find! I was just reading a thread under a Stephen Miller tweet and noticed a few prominent commentators responding with crazy conspiracy theories about Obama and Clinton. This one scored 10/10, as did this one and the other a 9/10. That was the first three I checked. Stephen Miller is correctly scored as not a bot with 0/10.

Here's the original tweet I was mentioning:

https://twitter.com/redsteeze/status/931553574034780162
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
malchior

Post by malchior »

Politico digs up a trip to Russia in 1987 that they argue may have been orchestrated by the KGB.

Also he "coincidentally" ran a $130K ad campaign against NATO shortly after returning...during the cold war. Good thing no one bothered to look into his past. Which is almost understandable since he ran a DDOS against the media by being obviously too incompetent for the job. (This ad claimed is sourced pretty murkily but appears true so far).

Holman

Post by Holman »

Wow.

There's no question that the trip and later trips and financial deals were made. For this to be a nothingburger, the Soviet/Russian intelligence agencies would have to have decided that Donald Trump was the one wealthy American businessman that they would allow to play around in Russia and with Russian oligarchs with no strings attached.

Of course it's possible that they were stymied and outwitted at every turn by Trump, who is of course well-known for his integrity and his immunity to the allure of easy money, special access, flattery, and the chance to make an end run around competitors.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:35 pm WaPo
The House Ethics Committee released a statement Thursday saying it had “determined to investigate” allegations that “Nunes may have made unauthorized disclosures of classified information, in violation of House Rules, law, regulations, or other standards of conduct.”

Nunes denied the charges as “entirely false and politically motivated,” blaming “several leftwing activist groups” for filing complaints with the Office of Congressional Ethics. Nunes said his recusal — which applies only to the committee’s Russia investigation — would be in effect while the House Ethics Committee looks into the matter. He noted that he has asked to speak with that committee “at the earliest possible opportunity in order to expedite the dismissal of these false claims.”
The House Ethics Committee has cleared House Intelligence Committee chairman Devin Nunes of any wrongdoing in its investigation into whether the Republican improperly disclosed classified information to the Trump White House.

The decision, announced on Thursday, paves the way for Nunes to officially return to the helm of the Intelligence Committee’s expansive Russia investigation.

Nunes announced in April, after the Ethics investigation was opened, that he would cede day-to-day control of the Russia probe to Texas Rep. Mike Conaway.
The Ethics Committee said in a statement clearing Nunes that it had consulted classification experts in the intelligence community to analyze information that Nunes shared with the White House regarding the Obama administration’s unmasking of Trump associates.

“Based solely on the conclusion of these classification experts that the information that Representative Nunes disclosed was not classified, the Committee will take no further action and considers this matter closed,” the Ethics Committee said in its statement.

Nunes welcomed the decision but criticized the Ethics panel’s decision to open an investigation in the first place.

“I’d like to thank the Ethics Committee for completely clearing me today of the cloud that was created by this investigation, and for determining that I committed no violation of anything — no violation of House Rules, law, regulations, or any other standards of conduct,” Nunes said in a statement.

“While I appreciate the Ethics Committee’s work, I need to reiterate that the allegations against me were obviously frivolous and were rooted in politically motivated complaints filed against me by left-wing activist groups. I respect the ethics process, but I remain dismayed that it took an unbelievable eight months for the Committee to dismiss this matter,” he added.
http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/07/house ... stigation/

Back to work!
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, now they can get back to digging up all the crimes by the Trump Klan for the impeachment. :pop:
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Meanwhile:

Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm beginning to think the "die in jail" comments might actually be correct.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

People in the Trump organizations just have the worst memories.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:41 am I'm beginning to think the "die in jail" comments might actually be correct.
Don't tease.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From earlier this year.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

If it looks and smells like collusion...
https://twitter.com/DavidWright_CNN/sta ... 2989776899
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:45 am
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:41 am I'm beginning to think the "die in jail" comments might actually be correct.
Don't tease.
John Schindler has been teasing us with this all year.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sure. Eventually teasing gets tedious as you wait. And wait.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This will come together - when you step through the timeline they were telling us they were doing it. Roger Stone was talking about the emails coming at the end of August. They almost certainly have these guys over a barrel as long as Trump doesn't start a constitutional crisis over it. I think it is far to assume we can't count on the GOP to help us if it comes to that.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

We'll see.
Holman

Post by Holman »

If I had to write this novel, we'd see the GOP desperate to avoid confronting the facts as they built and built over the course of 2018 until it became clear that they would be a deciding factor in the 2018 elections. At that point, mushy GOP wafflers like Graham and Collins would suddenly declare themselves Deeply Concerned and try to retroactively sell the stalled congressional investigations as deliberate but relentless, and they would demand that a few sacrificial lambs like Kushner and Conway resign immediately.

After 2018, Democrats will lead the investigations, and that's when we'll see impeachment.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

There's a new book coming out (apparently next week) - "Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House." The book contains lots of quotes from White House insiders, including Bannon describing the June 2016 Trump Tower meeting as "treasonous".
Donald Trump’s former chief strategist Steve Bannon has described the Trump Tower meeting between the president’s son and a group of Russians during the 2016 election campaign as “treasonous” and “unpatriotic”, according to an explosive new book seen by the Guardian.

Bannon, speaking to author Michael Wolff, warned that the investigation into alleged collusion with the Kremlin will focus on money laundering and predicted: “They’re going to crack Don Junior like an egg on national TV.”

Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House, reportedly based on more than 200 interviews with the president, his inner circle and players in and around the administration, is one of the most eagerly awaited political books of the year. In it, Wolff lifts the lid on a White House lurching from crisis to crisis amid internecine warfare, with even some of Trump’s closest allies expressing contempt for him.
Should be an interesting week once that book comes out.

I'm really not sure what to make of Bannon giving those quotes. Is he convinced that Trump's going down and trying to save himself? Of course, at least going by the quotes, part of his issue seems to be that the treason was done poorly, not that it was done at all.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

This made me chuckle, "'Any information,' [Bannon] said, could then be '“dump[ed] … down to Breitbart or something like that, or maybe some other more legitimate publication'”.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:09 pm
After 2018, Democrats will lead the investigations, and that's when we'll see impeachment.
Yeah, I'm officially recanting the "first half of 2018" prediction that I made right after Trump was elected. Mueller's taking longer than expected, and I didn't count on the R Party dutifully rallying around Trump. That should be a kiss of political death, but somehow....

At this point it would take the 25th-amendment solution to meet my original timeline, and if we aren't hearing anything about that after Trump publicly threatened to start a nuclear war, then I don't see the palace coup coming, either. Apparently the GOP is fine with both criminal and crazy. A year ago I did not believe that they'd go there.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:05 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:09 pm
Yeah, I'm officially recanting the "first half of 2018" prediction that I made right after Trump was elected. Mueller's taking longer than expected, and I didn't count on the R Party dutifully rallying around Trump. That should be a kiss of political death, but somehow....

At this point it would take the 25th-amendment solution to meet my original timeline, and if we aren't hearing anything about that after Trump publicly threatened to start a nuclear war, then I don't see the palace coup coming, either. Apparently the GOP is fine with both criminal and crazy. A year ago I did not believe that they'd go there.
There's almost no way that Trump is leaving office before 2019. Unless he decides to leave (unlikely, but who knows with him), all he needs to do to stay in office is hold onto 1/3rd of the Senate (which you can do with only deeply red states).

If democrats can take at least one chamber of Congress in the 2018 elections, though, then they can really let loose with investigative subpoenas, which opens up a range of possibilities. Though it's still hard to see them getting enough votes to convict on impeachment, no matter what comes to light.

The big potential wildcard, though, is what happens if Mueller decides he can proceed with a criminal indictment against a sitting president.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wait and see what the elections bring. It'll be particularly interesting to see how many incumbent Republicans are challenged in the primary by anti-Trump candidates and what kind of message the Democrats come up with. You might see a lot of support flip if remaining in his corner becomes universally toxic and adverse polls make the incumbents skittish.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:46 pm
Wait and see what the elections bring. It'll be particularly interesting to see how many incumbent Republicans are challenged in the primary by anti-Trump candidates and what kind of message the Democrats come up with. You might see a lot of support flip if remaining in his corner becomes universally toxic.
You're probably going to be disappointed on the number of anti-Trump Republicans running in 2018. Most likely it's going to be limited to Romney plus maybe a few House candidates in blue states. More likely it's going to go in the opposite direction - the 2018 election will make the GOP caucus smaller (at least in the House, possibly in the Senate), but *more* pro-Trump.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

That kind of remains to be seen, especially if Dems start polling in landslide numbers. How many will have the spine to stick with Trump if his brand becomes toxic to their careers? If the Dems prove a vulnerability, either the incumbent will feel the pressure to recant his support or a challenger will smell blood and jump into the primary fray.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:09 pm That kind of remains to be seen, especially if Dems start polling in landslide numbers. How many will have the spine to stick with Trump if his brand becomes toxic to their careers? If the Dems prove a vulnerability, either the incumbent will feel the pressure to recant his support or a challenger will smell blood and jump into the primary fray.
I'm not betting on Republicans putting the country above their own base. The base still loves Trump.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:31 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:09 pm That kind of remains to be seen, especially if Dems start polling in landslide numbers. How many will have the spine to stick with Trump if his brand becomes toxic to their careers? If the Dems prove a vulnerability, either the incumbent will feel the pressure to recant his support or a challenger will smell blood and jump into the primary fray.
I'm not betting on Republicans putting the country above their own base. The base still loves Trump.
I'm betting on them acting in their own self-interest. If sticking with Trump proves to be a certain path to unemployment, they might change their tune. The Trump base is not enough to sustain them in many locations.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:46 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:31 pm
I'm betting on them acting in their own self-interest. If sticking with Trump proves to be a certain path to unemployment, they might change their tune. The Trump base is not enough to sustain them in many locations.
Aye, that's the key. Those of us in blue or bluish states have trouble understanding how caving in to Trump's deplorables can be a winning strategy anywhere except in the most hopelessly failed red states. I keep expecting the Republican Establishment to come to its senses and stand up for its version of what's right, and yet it keeps rolling over.

What we discount, I think, is the deplorables' dedication. They vote, and they get all the attention, and so they drive the party's agenda. 1/3 of the electorate will dominate if another 1/3 doesn't care enough to vote and the remaining 1/3 is disorganized and unmotivated or is being systematically suppressed.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

While we're probably drifting this thread off-target, this little nugget from Arizona might be a harbinger of backlash to come.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:01 pm While we're probably drifting this thread off-target, this little nugget from Arizona might be a harbinger of backlash to come.
That whole thing reeks of "we were going to go under anyways, but now we can blame it on 'the libruls' instead of our own failings".
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:23 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:01 pm While we're probably drifting this thread off-target, this little nugget from Arizona might be a harbinger of backlash to come.
That whole thing reeks of "we were going to go under anyways, but now we can blame it on 'the libruls' instead of our own failings".
From the way outside it just looks a like a sort of mob justice which I do not condone but then what comes around goes around. I don't see how you can advertise that Football should not be political as a restaurant. That's the precise disconnect that drives me nuts.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm going nuts trying to figure out which Trump news goes in which thread.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:38 pm I'm going nuts trying to figure out which Trump news goes in which thread.
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I suppose we should probably let this thread die and wrap all the Russia stuff in with the "investigation" thread.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Maybe time to bump this thread back up. State Dept. Was Granted $120 Million to Fight Russian Meddling. It Has Spent $0.
As Russia’s virtual war against the United States continues unabated with the midterm elections approaching, the State Department has yet to spend any of the $120 million it has been allocated since late 2016 to counter foreign efforts to meddle in elections or sow distrust in democracy.

As a result, not one of the 23 analysts working in the department’s Global Engagement Center — which has been tasked with countering Moscow’s disinformation campaign — speaks Russian, and a department hiring freeze has hindered efforts to recruit the computer experts needed to track the Russian efforts.

The delay is just one symptom of the largely passive response to the Russian interference by President Trump, who has made little if any public effort to rally the nation to confront Moscow and defend democratic institutions. More broadly, the funding lag reflects a deep lack of confidence by Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson in his department’s ability to execute its historically wide-ranging mission and spend its money wisely.

Mr. Tillerson has voiced skepticism that the United States is even capable of doing anything to counter the Russian threat.

“If it’s their intention to interfere, they’re going to find ways to do that,” Mr. Tillerson said in an interview last month with Fox News. “And we can take steps we can take, but this is something that once they decide they are going to do it, it’s very difficult to pre-empt it.”
:grund:
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Why would they fight something that doesn't actually exist? I mean, Putin said so and Trump believes him, so why are we still talking about this? :roll:

Besides, we all know that Russian meddling only matters when we get to blame it on Obama.

Why did the Obama Administration start an investigation into the Trump Campaign (with zero proof of wrongdoing) long before the Election in November? Wanted to discredit so Crooked H would win. Unprecedented. Bigger than Watergate! Plus, Obama did NOTHING about Russian meddling.
So Obama started the investigation with no proof of Russian meddling. Also, he did nothing to stop Russian meddling. Sounds legit.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

So as a reminder, the federal government has concluded beyond a reasonable doubt that an enemy foreign power interfered with our elections and will most certainly interfere with them again this year, and the President has refused to authorize ANY countermeasures to prevent this.

Dereliction of duty, impeach his ass NOW.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GUCCIFER 2.0 identified as probable Russian intelligence agent. GUCCIFER 2.0 was the supposed solo Romanian hacker who hacked the DNC.

VPN slipup

Edit: whoops, I see LM mentioned this in passing in another thread. Probably deserves more attention though.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I only mention it in passing because I don't know how much I trust the source and I don't want to spread dis-information because I'm smart enough to see recognize when sources I don't trust are full of shit. If they're not it's yuge.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, I hesitated when I saw the orgs that were publishing it. You could be right.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-target ... 1523018826

Problem is now I can't even trust this after the Administration expelled diplomats turned out to be the Administration is letting Russia choose a bunch of new diplomats

Every time I give the benefit of the doubt and hope, fake news comes out a day later to tell me sorry, your faith and hope are just too cute, naive little boy.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:36 am https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-target ... 1523018826

Problem is now I can't even trust this after the Administration expelled diplomats turned out to be the Administration is letting Russia choose a bunch of new diplomats

Every time I give the benefit of the doubt and hope, fake news comes out a day later to tell me sorry, your faith and hope are just too cute, naive little boy.
Are these the sanctions based on the list that was just cribbed from (I think Forbes?) list of wealthiest Russians, after a more carefully tailored list was drafted by State Department staff and thrown away?
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've not read a lot on it, but some of the people on the new list are oligarchs thought to be tied to Manafort and other aspects of the Russia probe. This has led some analysts to speculate that the list might have been put together by McMaster as a parting shot, possibly without Trump's knowledge of the specifics.

Of course it's up to the administration to actually *enforce* sanctions after announcing them. It's not an automatic system.