Russia influences election

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Rip

Re: Russia influences election

Post by Rip »

First they came for Crimea and Obama did nothing. Then they shot down an airliner and Obama did nothing. They invaded Ukraine and Obama did nothing. They propped up Syria and helped beat down the rebellion and Obama did nothing. Then they interfered in the election to help make sure Obama's pick for successor was defeated and there was nothing left Obama could do.

:pop:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:First they came for Crimea and Obama did nothing. Then they shot down an airliner and Obama did nothing. They invaded Ukraine and Obama did nothing. They propped up Syria and helped beat down the rebellion and Obama did nothing. Then they interfered in the election to help make sure Obama's pick for successor was defeated and there was nothing left Obama could do.

So you're whistling a Quisling tune now? :whistle:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rip

Post by Rip »

Max Peck wrote:
Rip wrote:First they came for Crimea and Obama did nothing. Then they shot down an airliner and Obama did nothing. They invaded Ukraine and Obama did nothing. They propped up Syria and helped beat down the rebellion and Obama did nothing. Then they interfered in the election to help make sure Obama's pick for successor was defeated and there was nothing left Obama could do.

So you're whistling a Quisling tune now? :whistle:

Hardly. I think Russia is dangerous and has been very belligerent. I hope they can be persuaded to change course be it by carrot or stick.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I've asked this I don't know how many times - but we'll try again - what could Obama have done? You keep criticizing him over Russian actions in the past. They put sanctions in place which had a major effect on their economic growth shortly afterwards. What else could they have done?

And I find it rich that you are complaining that we "didn't do anything" when they act against foreign powers but when they act against *your damn country* it is a shrug.
Rip

Post by Rip »

malchior wrote:I've asked this I don't know how many times - but we'll try again - what could Obama have done? You keep criticizing him over Russian actions in the past. They put sanctions in place which had a major effect on their economic growth shortly afterwards. What else could they have done?

And I find it rich that you are complaining that we "didn't do anything" when they act against foreign powers but when they act against *your damn country* it is a shrug.
I'm not shrugging about it. I'm just not trying to use it to convince people that a future POTUS is nothing more than Putin's lapdog. I'm all for building up our capabilities and using them to counter Russia.

To answer your question, here is a start.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/pet ... mea-crisis

Certainly not this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... in-invaded
But the main concern was Russian President Vladimir Putin.

As U.S. officials told us recently, the White House feared that if the Ukrainian military fought in Crimea, it would give Putin justification to launch greater military intervention in Ukraine, using similar logic to what Moscow employed in 2008 when Putin invaded large parts of Georgia in response to a pre-emptive attack by the Tbilisi government. Russian forces occupy two Georgian provinces to this day.

Looking back today, many experts and officials point to the decision not to stand and fight in Crimea as the beginning of a Ukraine policy based on the assumption that avoiding conflict with Moscow would temper Putin's aggression. But that was a miscalculation. Almost two years later, Crimea is all but forgotten, Russian-backed separatist forces are in control of two large Ukrainian provinces, and the shaky cease-fire between the two sides is in danger of collapsing.

"Part of the pattern we see in Russian behavior is to test and probe when not faced with pushback or opposition," said Damon Wilson, the vice president for programming at the Atlantic Council. "Russia's ambitions grow when they are not initially challenged. The way Crimea played out, Putin had a policy of deniability, there could have been a chance for Russia to walk away."

When Russian special operations forces, military units and intelligence officers seized Crimea, it surprised the U.S. government. Intelligence analysts had briefed Congress 24 hours before the stealth invasion, saying the Russian troop buildup on Ukraine's border was a bluff. Ukraine's government -- pieced together after President Viktor Yanukovych fled Kiev for Russia following civil unrest -- was in a state of crisis. The country was preparing for elections and its military was largely dilapidated and unprepared for war.

There was a debate inside the Kiev government as well. Some argued the nation should scramble its forces to Crimea to respond. As part of that process, the Ukrainian government asked Washington what military support the U.S. would provide. Without quick and substantial American assistance, Ukrainians knew, a military operation to defend Crimea could not have had much chance for success.

"I don't think the Ukrainian military was well prepared to manage the significant challenge of the major Russian military and stealth incursion on its territory," said Andrew Weiss, a Russia expert and vice president for studies at the Carnegie Endowment, told us. This was also the view of many in the U.S. military and intelligence community at the time.
Ever since the annexation of Crimea in March, 2014, there have been a group of senior officials inside the administration who have been advocating unsuccessfully for Obama to approve lethal aid to the Ukrainian military. These officials have reportedly included Secretary of State John Kerry, his top Europe official, Victoria Nuland, Defense Secretary Ashton Carter, and General Philip Breedlove, the supreme allied commander for NATO.

Obama has told lawmakers in private meetings that his decision not to arm the Ukrainians was in part due to a desire to avoid direct military confrontation with Russia, one Republican lawmaker who met with Obama on the subject told us. The U.S. has pledged a significant amount of non-lethal aid to the Ukrainian military, but delivery of that aid has often been delayed. Meanwhile, Russian direct military involvement in Eastern Ukraine has continued at a high level.

Even former Obama administration Russia officials acknowledge that Ukraine's decision last year to cede Crimea to Moscow, while making sense at the time, has also resulted in more aggression by Putin.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Is this an actual pivot, or just knocking out a divot? Time will tell...
President-elect Donald Trump accepts the U.S. intelligence community's conclusion that Russia engaged in cyber attacks during the U.S. presidential election and may take action in response, his incoming chief of staff said on Sunday.

Reince Priebus said Trump believed Russia was behind the intrusions into the Democratic Party organizations, although Priebus did not clarify whether the president-elect agreed that the hacks were directed by Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"He accepts the fact that this particular case was entities in Russia, so that's not the issue," Priebus said on "Fox News Sunday."

It was the first acknowledgment from a senior member of the Republican president-elect's team that Trump had accepted that Russia directed the hacking and subsequent disclosure of Democratic emails during the 2016 presidential election.
I don't think we can really take this seriously if it hasn't been tweeted by God-Emperor Orange O'Tang himself.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, he's focused on the important things.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote:Well, he's focused on the important things.
Which raises an obvious question...
Enlarge Image

Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Rip wrote:
malchior wrote:I've asked this I don't know how many times - but we'll try again - what could Obama have done? You keep criticizing him over Russian actions in the past. They put sanctions in place which had a major effect on their economic growth shortly afterwards. What else could they have done?

I'm not shrugging about it. I'm just not trying to use it to convince people that a future POTUS is nothing more than Putin's lapdog. I'm all for building up our capabilities and using them to counter Russia.

Certainly not this.

As U.S. officials told us recently, the White House feared that if the Ukrainian military fought in Crimea, it would give Putin justification to launch greater military intervention in Ukraine, using similar logic to what Moscow employed in 2008 when Putin invaded large parts of Georgia in response to a pre-emptive attack by the Tbilisi government. Russian forces occupy two Georgian provinces to this day.

Looking back today, many experts and officials point to the decision not to stand and fight in Crimea as the beginning of a Ukraine policy based on the assumption that avoiding conflict with Moscow would temper Putin's aggression. But that was a miscalculation. Almost two years later, Crimea is all but forgotten, Russian-backed separatist forces are in control of two large Ukrainian provinces, and the shaky cease-fire between the two sides is in danger of collapsing.

"Part of the pattern we see in Russian behavior is to test and probe when not faced with pushback or opposition," said Damon Wilson, the vice president for programming at the Atlantic Council. "Russia's ambitions grow when they are not initially challenged. The way Crimea played out, Putin had a policy of deniability, there could have been a chance for Russia to walk away."

When Russian special operations forces, military units and intelligence officers seized Crimea, it surprised the U.S. government. Intelligence analysts had briefed Congress 24 hours before the stealth invasion, saying the Russian troop buildup on Ukraine's border was a bluff. Ukraine's government -- pieced together after President Viktor Yanukovych fled Kiev for Russia following civil unrest -- was in a state of crisis. The country was preparing for elections and its military was largely dilapidated and unprepared for war.

There was a debate inside the Kiev government as well. Some argued the nation should scramble its forces to Crimea to respond. As part of that process, the Ukrainian government asked Washington what military support the U.S. would provide. Without quick and substantial American assistance, Ukrainians knew, a military operation to defend Crimea could not have had much chance for success.

"I don't think the Ukrainian military was well prepared to manage the significant challenge of the major Russian military and stealth incursion on its territory," said Andrew Weiss, a Russia expert and vice president for studies at the Carnegie Endowment, told us. This was also the view of many in the U.S. military and intelligence community at the time.
Ever since the annexation of Crimea in March, 2014, there have been a group of senior officials inside the administration who have been advocating unsuccessfully for Obama to approve lethal aid to the Ukrainian military. These officials have reportedly included Secretary of State John Kerry, his top Europe official, Victoria Nuland, Defense Secretary Ashton Carter, and General Philip Breedlove, the supreme allied commander for NATO.

Obama has told lawmakers in private meetings that his decision not to arm the Ukrainians was in part due to a desire to avoid direct military confrontation with Russia, one Republican lawmaker who met with Obama on the subject told us. The U.S. has pledged a significant amount of non-lethal aid to the Ukrainian military, but delivery of that aid has often been delayed. Meanwhile, Russian direct military involvement in Eastern Ukraine has continued at a high level.

Even former Obama administration Russia officials acknowledge that Ukraine's decision last year to cede Crimea to Moscow, while making sense at the time, has also resulted in more aggression by Putin.
So we can commit to oil, and a shooting war with Russia, excellent plan.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
Rip wrote:

Certainly not this.

So we can commit to oil, and a shooting war with Russia, excellent plan.
As opposed to what plan? Bitch, kick out a few diplomats, and enact some meaningless sanctions? Nice plan. Until someone has an answer of how to respond and curtail their activities the entire finger pointing game is of little use.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

LOL
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

malchior wrote:
Because I am 12 years old, I am amused that Trump's name in Russian Cyrillic (Трамп) literally transliterates to tramp. :P

Meanwhile, in other completely unrelated news...

US sanctions five prominent Russians including Litvinenko suspects
The Obama administration has blacklisted five prominent Russians, just 11 days before he leaves office.

Chief federal investigator Alexander Bastrykin and two men wanted in the UK for the murder of Russian dissident Alexander Litvinenko are among them.

The sanctions come amid worsening ties, including claims Russia ran a cyber campaign to influence the US election.

President-elect Donald Trump is seeking to restore closer relations with Russia.

US officials say the sanctions are not related to the hacking but come under a 2012 law designed to punish human rights violators.

The move could be the last visible act against Russia by the outgoing administration, correspondents say.

Under the act named after Russian tax fraud whistleblower Sergey Magnitsky, who died in a Moscow prison in 2009, people on the list have their US assets blocked and are banned from travelling to the US.

It originally targeted officials implicated in Magnitsky's death but has since been broadened to cover other human rights cases.

The five men to be blacklisted are:
  • Alexander Bastrykin, a close aide to President Vladimir Putin and head of the federal investigative agency, who has led campaigns against domestic dissidents and foreign NGOs working in Russia. US officials say he was complicit in the Magnitsky case
  • Gennady Plaksin, former head of the Universal Savings Bank, and Stanislav Gordiyevsky, former investigative agency official. Both are said to be involved in covering up Magnitsky's death
  • Andrei Lugovoi and Dmitry Kovtun, the main suspects in the poisoning of former KGB agent and London exile Alexander Litvinenko in 2006

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did we already cover what Trump said about Russia in 2014?
In the interviews reviewed by CNN's KFile from March 2014, which occurred on NBC News and Fox News, Trump goes as far as to suggest imposing sanctions to hurt Russia economically and then later says he supports such sanctions. Trump also expressed his agreement with former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney's 2012 assessment that Russia is the United States' number one "geopolitical foe."

"Well, Mitt was right, and he was also right when he mentioned in one of the debates about Russia, and he said, 'Russia's our biggest problem, and Russia is, you know, really something,'"

Trump went further speaking with NBC's "Today"on March 14, saying sanctions should be placed on Russia. "We should definitely do sanctions," Trump said while promoting the Miss USA pageant.

"And we have to show some strength. I mean, Putin has eaten Obama's lunch, therefore our lunch, for a long period of time," he said. "And I just hope that Obama, who's not looking too good, doesn't do something very foolish and very stupid to show his manhood. I just hope that doesn't happen."
I wonder what could have changed over the last 2+ years?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B wrote:Did we already cover what Trump said about Russia in 2014?
In the interviews reviewed by CNN's KFile from March 2014, which occurred on NBC News and Fox News, Trump goes as far as to suggest imposing sanctions to hurt Russia economically and then later says he supports such sanctions. Trump also expressed his agreement with former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney's 2012 assessment that Russia is the United States' number one "geopolitical foe."

"Well, Mitt was right, and he was also right when he mentioned in one of the debates about Russia, and he said, 'Russia's our biggest problem, and Russia is, you know, really something,'"

Trump went further speaking with NBC's "Today"on March 14, saying sanctions should be placed on Russia. "We should definitely do sanctions," Trump said while promoting the Miss USA pageant.

"And we have to show some strength. I mean, Putin has eaten Obama's lunch, therefore our lunch, for a long period of time," he said. "And I just hope that Obama, who's not looking too good, doesn't do something very foolish and very stupid to show his manhood. I just hope that doesn't happen."

I wouldn't read to much into it. It's trump, he can flip on a position mid-sentence
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So what does Putin think about all this?
In a biting attack, Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday accused the outgoing U.S. administration of trying to undermine President-elect Donald Trump by spreading fake allegations and said those who are doing it are "worse than prostitutes."

The statement reflected the Kremlin's boiling anger at President Barack Obama's administration, which declined to comment on Putin's accusation.

Asked about an unsubstantiated dossier outlining unverified claims that Trump engaged in sexual activities with prostitutes at a Moscow hotel, Putin dismissed it as "fake" and "nonsense" and said it was part of efforts by Obama's administration to "undermine the legitimacy of the president-elect" despite his "convincing" victory.
One final "Thanks Obama!" it is.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:So what does Putin think about all this?
In a biting attack, Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday accused the outgoing U.S. administration of trying to undermine President-elect Donald Trump by spreading fake allegations and said those who are doing it are "worse than prostitutes."
One final "Thanks Obama!" it is.
Does American democracy have a long history of sex workers controlling the outcome of elections? :?
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Got to admire Putin - even if not truly involved - all he has to do is lean in and *he* is undermining Trump. I feel sorry for Europe right about now - things could get ugly for them as we fall into chaos. Putin is doing well with a very iffy hand.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Good god.
KELLY: It is awkward. And the latest twist is The Wall Street Journal reporting this morning that Trump's national security adviser, Mike Flynn, is under a counter intelligence investigation because of suspected ties to Russia. The Senate Intelligence Committee is also investigating that very question.

So here - here is the question that another CIA veteran put to me after watching Trump's speech this weekend. This is Steve Hall. He was CIA chief of Russia operations. And he asked, what happens when the CIA collects a stellar piece of intelligence that maybe puts Vladimir Putin in a bad light? Steve Hall said, what happens when the CIA briefs Trump, and he wants to know the source? And Hall's quote directly to me was, how can you say, no, we don't trust you with the sourcing of that information? That is a live question today at Langley.
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote:Did we already cover what Trump said about Russia in 2014?

He wasn't on the Kremlin payroll then.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The CIA lies and see what happens.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rip

Post by Rip »

In the eerie world of international espionage, nothing of late has topped the official US accusation that Russian president Vladimir Putin plotted to put US president Donald Trump in power. Now, the tale has become even more salacious with the reported arrest of three Russian cyber experts, one of whom was perp-walked out of a meeting with a bag over his head, and the suspicious death of a former KGB general.

Russia experts say the episode suggests a possible purge related to the US election hack. In a twist of Kremlinology, others say Putin may only be pretending to have arrested and killed cyber operatives. Or, say still others, neither observation may be true. “Can we really trust Russian news?” asks Dave Aitel, a former analyst with the US National Security Agency, and now CEO of Immunity, a cyber intrusion protection firm.

The story of the arrests appears to have broken at the Russian newspaper Kommersant on Jan. 25. The paper reported (link in Russian) the arrests of Sergei Mikhailov, who heads the Center for Information Security, an arm of the Russian intelligence agency known by the acronym FSB; and Ruslan Stoyanov, a senior researcher with Kaspersky Lab, the computer security company.

Both men were last seen the first week of December. The independent newspaper Novaya Gazeta reported that (Russian), in a Stalin-style touch, a bag was suddenly thrown over Mikhailov’s head during a meeting of fellow intelligence officers, and he was led out. Mikhailov has not been seen since. The third arrest was of Dmitry Dokuchayev, a hacker known by the name “Forb.”

In all three cases, the charge is treason, according to Russian news accounts.
From here, the story gets hazy. One way or another, the arrests—according to the Russian media accounts—are linked to the country’s hacking of the US election. One suggestion is that those arrested are among the sources that led US intelligence agencies to conclude categorically that Russia hacked the election, that Putin ordered the hack, and that the objective was to help Trump.

Russian media suggest that one or more of the trio either leaked details of Russia’s role directly to American intelligence, or to Christopher Steele, the former British spy believed to have compiled the so-called Trump dossier. The dossier is a 35-page memo that suggested various links between Trump and Russia, involving information that allegedly made him vulnerable to extortion.

Which leads to the Dec. 26 death of a former KGB general named Oleg Erovinkin. An initial news account at the Russian website Life.ru said Erovinkin had been killed, shot twice in the head. That version quickly morphed into vaguer accounts of a death-under-investigation.

But the larger interesting fact related to Erovinkin’s death was that Steele’s memo cites a a source close to Igor Sechin, the Putin intimate and chairman of Rosneft. And Erovinkin—a long-time senior aide to Sechin—must be that source, a number of the news accounts speculate. Thus, according to these news accounts, there is a link between the Steele memo and Erovinkin’s death.

A big question is why the Kremlin, given its controls over almost all the country’s media, wanted this news out. Among the guesses is that the Kremlin wants firmer confirmation for the US, and perhaps the world, that it in fact did hack the US election.

Aitel, the cyber expert, says the answer is simpler—that the news was “too big not to leak. It is not going to go unnoticed that Kaspersky’s lead researcher went missing.”
http://www.defenseone.com/threats/2017/ ... ck/135048/

:ninja:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fake news!

<I learned that move by reading your posts, you should be proud!>
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ok, so Nigel Farage, far-right UKIP leader and friend of Trump, just visited the Ecuadorian embassy, where Assange is residing. He refused to say what he was doing there, and that he "couldn’t remember what he had been doing in the building."
Nothing suspicious about this at all.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ok well this is getting fucking bananas. There is a whole lot of smoke right now. Luckily the firemen are too busy trying to make sure people in America are sicker and poorer.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This will all end with pictures of prostitutes urinating on hotel beds. Mark my words. :cry:
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote:This will all end with pictures of prostitutes urinating on hotel beds. Mark my words. :cry:
You've said that about every presidency going back a couple decades, though.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Listen, I got a bucket list and I'm gonna stick to it!
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'll concede that this administration offers better odds, but I still don't think they're going to take you up on your offer on this, no matter how many pictures you send.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The fascinating thing is, I don't put that act past Trump. I can seriously see him doing something like that. He's a spiteful, petty man child. I mean, all politicians are to some extent...but good Lord, he takes it to level 10. I cannot remember a president so utterly UNpresidential in my lifetime.

Sadly, that's a plus to many people.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What's also somewhat amusing is that I've got a Sanderista in-law relative who views all this Russia stuff (as is semi-common on the far left) as just McCarthyite anti-Russian hysteria. It's like, except for the part where there's all this evidence including public undisputed ties between Trump's camp and Putin's camp.

I think that's 80% due to being committed to this view of the DNC hacks as brave anti-DNC (and pro-Bernie) truth-telling, as opposed to being an act of Russian sabotage, and 20% Cold War PTSD.
Black Lives Matter.

Post by Default »

hepcat wrote:Listen, I got a bucket list and I'm gonna stick to it!
methinks you are going to need a bigger bucket.

And probably a gallon or two of bleach. :oops:
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Default wrote:
hepcat wrote:Listen, I got a bucket list and I'm gonna stick to it!
methinks you are going to need a bigger bucket.

And probably a gallon or two of bleach. :oops:
This isn't something you can bleach away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, my bucket list DID include "see America vote in a reality tv star as POTUS". It was right below "develop telepathy" and "train a dog to do long division".

...guess it's time to buy a dog.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Russia influences election

Post by Zarathud »

I'll lend you my children. They wet themselves less than a dog. Although you might find that a feature for getting the dog, not a bug.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How are they at math?

Also, have they stopped talking about how much fun it is to bully me? I was running out of lunch money fast there for a while.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Good thing Comey made sure that everyone knew that they were looking at e-mails that might or might not matter to anything before we voted, though.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I saw that - guess it isn't 100% debunked yet. :)

Also I can't wait to hear about FBI leakers and FakeNews tweets around 6 AM.