Russia influences election

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: Russia influences election

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote:Of course he denied the 2014 statements this morning. I have to believe finding out where $100 million (or any amount) of investments came from would be easy.
When a Russian oligarch pays $100m for a $40m property, does that count as part of the trail? I mean, that was back in 2008, but it's a pretty tidy sum for 2 year's "nothing" from the time Trump snagged the property to the time he sold it ... Maybe the poor boy was thinking back to that $60m gain from 7 years before as an 'investment'
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Making the White House press pool great again.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Don't overlook the big picture.

The real story here is that animeright.news has been scooped by Alex Jones.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Paingod wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Of course he denied the 2014 statements this morning. I have to believe finding out where $100 million (or any amount) of investments came from would be easy.
When a Russian oligarch pays $100m for a $40m property, does that count as part of the trail? I mean, that was back in 2008, but it's a pretty tidy sum for 2 year's "nothing" from the time Trump snagged the property to the time he sold it ... Maybe the poor boy was thinking back to that $60m gain from 7 years before as an 'investment'
Keith Obermann: Follow The Money
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I like CNN's "Ties to Russia" page, where you can click on a Trump associate and see how they link back to Russia/Putin.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wonder where the U.S. press pictures are of this?

Enlarge Image

It's weird to see him use the same enthusiastic smile and hand shake with the Russian ambassador that he did with Angela Merkel.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed May 10, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote:I wonder where the U.S. press pictures are of this?

Enlarge Image
That may be a rhetorical question by you, but in case it's not (and for the benefit of others), no U.S. press was allowed in for this.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote:That may be a rhetorical question by you, but in case it's not (and for the benefit of others), no U.S. press was allowed in for this.
Weird, right? :wink:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Not at all. And I'm sure that Rip will be along any minute with a completely rational explanation...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

TheMix wrote:Not at all. And I'm sure that Rip will be along any minute with a completely rational explanation...
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TheMix wrote:Not at all. And I'm sure that Rip will be along any minute with a completely rational explanation...
Hold on, let me take a crack at this.

They're discussing financial incentives to be delivered to Trump and/or his family members/golfing buddies in exchange for policy concessions.

No, wait, that's wrong, let me try again.

They're discussing an upcoming tea party.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

NickAragua wrote:
Hold on, let me take a crack at this.

They're discussing financial incentives to be delivered to Trump and/or his family members/golfing buddies in exchange for policy concessions.

No, wait, that's wrong, let me try again.

They're discussing an upcoming tea party.
Polls are meaningless this early?

Really though, I don't think it's in this country's best interest to keep up this RvD charade. Fireball nailed it. To put his statement in to my own interpretation, we're likely headed for crisis and we have to rely on a republican Congress to avert it. For my experience, constantly attacking their constituency is only going to entrench them. It feels as though, in the end both sides would burn the baby to save their own righteousness.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Smoove_B wrote:
El Guapo wrote:That may be a rhetorical question by you, but in case it's not (and for the benefit of others), no Fake News was allowed in for this.
Mortoned.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Lord Mortis wrote:we're likely headed for crisis
Headed for a crisis? We're IN a crisis and have been for quite a while. If our only hope is to rely on members of the GOP to break rank and start pushing against the grain? Yeah, I'll be curled up in a ball over there too, hoping I just die instead.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:
Headed for a crisis? We're IN a crisis and have been for quite a while. If our only hope is to rely on members of the GOP to break rank and start pushing against the grain? Yeah, I'll be curled up in a ball over there too, hoping I just die instead.

I don't think that's true. I don't even think tanking the health care of 24 million Americans will put us in crisis. (It'll suck ass but not put nation in crisis) but if allegation of the US becoming a puppet regime turn out to be founded and Congress ushers in the completion of our becoming a banana republic... Game over, man. Game over. That's a license for everything wrong moving forward. I resist to avert crisis.

Now if you want to localize crisis, then yeah. For example, the city of Flint, Mi has been in crisis for three fucking years and that's fucked up but the state and the nation keeps on keeping on.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Smoove_B wrote:
El Guapo wrote:That may be a rhetorical question by you, but in case it's not (and for the benefit of others), no U.S. press was allowed in for this.
And just in case anyone missed, one of the people that Trump met with today was the Russian Ambassador Sergei Kislyak, whose interactions with Mike Flynn led to Flynn’s firing. I'm sure they have a perfectly good reason to bar the US press when Russian media was apparently allowed.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Holman

Post by Holman »

I believe I read that it wasn't "Russian media" but photographers who were part of the Russian staff. Their pics were then released to Russian media.

The effect is the same, but it's not quite the case that Russian reporters were present. (Likely there were no questions asked, for instance.)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote:I believe I read that it wasn't "Russian media" but photographers who were part of the Russian staff. Their pics were then released to Russian media.

The effect is the same, but it's not quite the case that Russian reporters were present. (Likely there were no questions asked, for instance.)
Also:
Black Lives Matter.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Holman wrote:I believe I read that it wasn't "Russian media" but photographers who were part of the Russian staff. Their pics were then released to Russian media.

Thanks much for the clarification, that makes sense I guess. Agreed on the effect.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:

Also:
Trump: Oooh, one of the Russians left this nice pen behind. Everything is coming up Trump!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:
It will be alright Smoove. Just put all of your faith in Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. What could go wrong?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enough wrote:

Thanks much for the clarification, that makes sense I guess. Agreed on the effect.
As I understand it, the Russian photographer works for TASS.
Of course, we only know that thanks to photos from Russia's state news agency. Their photographer was the only one allowed in the meeting, while U.S. journalists were kept out.

That’s right. Although the encounter between Trump, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, and Ambassador Sergei Kislyak took place in the center of American power, it was TASS, the official Russian news agency, that had the pictures.

According to Andrei Sitov, the TASS bureau chief in Washington, the Russian photographer who took the photos covers Lavrov full time and came with him on the plane. He was presented to the White House as the official photographer.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote:I wonder where the U.S. press pictures are of this?

Enlarge Image

It's weird to see him use the same enthusiastic smile and hand shake with the Russian ambassador that he did with Angela Merkel.
Look at the human body reaction to things.

Try and find another picture of Trump with such a flush face.

Trump 

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Not that a Russian reporter travelling to the White House in order to report on the meeting would have been what we come to think of as a reporter anyhow...
Enough

Post by Enough »

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/ ... 8822802432

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Why do none of the Trump-Russia leaks come from Russia?
"Why does Russia never leak?" I asked the investigative journalist sitting opposite me in a dingy Moscow café.

He took gulp of espresso coffee, then after realizing I wasn't joking, he told me.

"Because they kill you, of course," he said.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Putin insists on meeting Lavrov during phone call.
Last edited by malchior on Thu May 11, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ya think?!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote:Ya think?!
Wait until you read the article I just edited in. It makes it all the more hilarious. The man is a fucking moron surrounded by fucking morons. I'm going to call it now (kiddingly) - this will be the worst administration ever. They can't stop tripping over their own feet.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

So wait, I don't get it, do the Russians want Trump to be president or not? You'd think making him look like a corrupt idiot would be counterproductive.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

NickAragua wrote:So wait, I don't get it, do the Russians want Trump to be president or not? You'd think making him look like a corrupt idiot would be counterproductive.
Only from our perspective. I'm sure Putin is happy to play this fiddle both ways as he wants to - one day we're a hostile force and he needs to manhandle us. Yay for Putin, savior of the motherland! The next day he's negotiating and working with us. Yay for Putin, protector of the motherland!

Life in Russia is very different from ours. When was the last time you were stopped by the police and expected to pay your fine right then and there to the cop, without a receipt?
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

NickAragua wrote:So wait, I don't get it, do the Russians want Trump to be president or not? You'd think making him look like a corrupt idiot would be counterproductive.
It is my impression that "the Russians" want to tank the credibility of the US to the world and to its citizenry and Trump plays into their hands at every turn and Congress backs him. Our government, economy, and our way of life depend on our faith and global faith in our government and its symbiosis with the people of our country and our allies around the world. That symbiosis is eroding day by day. As to whether or not Trump is trying to destroy us by his own traitorous effort or he is patsy, I have no idea.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The probable answer is that Trump is so damn easy to manipulate and is in so over his head. He is a fucking moron. Putin is not. It is like a cat playing with a mouse.

Putin has shown he takes calculated chances. Putin manipulated Trump into meeting Lavrov. That could have worked in Putin's favor just because of the optics of meeting the foreign minister while his circle is under investigation. However then Trump on a whim fires the head of the guy investigating that meddling the day before Lavrov shows up. Putin wins again! You can't make up this level of ineptitude.

*Of course, there is always the possibility that Trump is a super genius playing very, very, very dumb but his entire life pretty much discounts that.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

My guess is that Russia mainly wants a weak and ineffectual US president. Being easy to manipulate is just a bonus.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote:
"Tricked" them? He's mugging for the camera!

Is the POTUS incapable of saying "No Cameras" to a foreign team visiting the Oval Office?

He certainly said it to the U.S. press.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
My guess is that Russia mainly wants a weak and ineffectual US president. Being easy to manipulate is just a bonus.
Getting Trump elected made the US look silly. It also kept HRC from being elected which was likely Putin's primary objective. All this other fall out (how horribly bad Trump has been thus far, the potential end of American Democracy, etc.) is icing on a delicious cake for him.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Holman

Post by Holman »

Remus West wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Getting Trump elected made the US look silly. It also kept HRC from being elected which was likely Putin's primary objective. All this other fall out (how horribly bad Trump has been thus far, the potential end of American Democracy, etc.) is icing on a delicious cake for him.
That's the *charitable* interpretation.

What investigations could reveal is a straight-up quid pro quo: help with the election in exchange for an end to sanctions and a freer hand for Russia to meddle elsewhere.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Paingod wrote:
Only from our perspective. I'm sure Putin is happy to play this fiddle both ways as he wants to - one day we're a hostile force and he needs to manhandle us. Yay for Putin, savior of the motherland! The next day he's negotiating and working with us. Yay for Putin, protector of the motherland!

Life in Russia is very different from ours. When was the last time you were stopped by the police and expected to pay your fine right then and there to the cop, without a receipt?
Trust me, I know, having emigrated from there. If you're trying to install a puppet as head of state though, it's generally best practice not to make the puppet look incompetent. Unless the state is next door and can be trivially steamrolled (like, for example, Chechnya), so that you can just send in the army to stomp everyone if things get too out of control.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Puppetry is too hard. Weakness, disarray, and distrust of institutions serve just as well.