Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Month renewal is up Oct 21/2019. $1337.51 USD of roughly $1700 USD (CDN conversion) as of Sept 1/2019. Paypal Donation Link Here

Russia influences election

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

catarsiss

Re: Russia influences election

Post by catarsiss » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:39 pm

I sometimes think that Russiagate is a planned attempt to divert attention from the Trump's real weak points: a strange political course, flirting with countries provoking world conflicts and violating human rights, personal interests of a businessperson and his real estate empire, turning the USA into the world's largest offshore (yeah), they are still following the Cold War topics. The U.S. Needs a post-Mueller reality check. Russia has no real influence other than nuclear weapons now.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:02 pm

I am skeptical.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Fri May 03, 2019 4:08 pm

More. Keep it up.

Holman

Post by Holman » Fri May 03, 2019 4:28 pm

Let's check in for the firm pushback against Russia's attack on our democracy.

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

Unagi

Post by Unagi » Fri May 03, 2019 4:38 pm

Well, let's hope he catches some hell for saying "Russian Hoax" at the very least... right? I mean even his goddamn AG said as much....

so sick of this shit.

Also, of course he lied then above when he said they didn't talk about it. Breaking News. :roll:

Holman

Post by Holman » Sat May 04, 2019 8:37 pm

Trump endorses Putin.

How... even...? The fact of the Russian attack isn't even a question. Trump is insisting that because he dodged conspiracy charges the Russian attack never even happened.

You do not got more venal, stupid, and traitorous than our president.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:18 pm

I'm sure it was just a coincidence that Mitch McConnell blocked changes to election security after receiving donations.
"It's not surprising to me that Mitch McConnell is receiving these campaign contributions," the Brennan Center for Justice's Lawrence Norden told Sludge last month. "He seems single-handedly to be standing in the way of anything passing in Congress around election security, and that includes things that the vendors might want, like money for the states to replace antiquated equipment."

McConnell's actions seemed even more out of balance with his party, as the Senate Intelligence Committee⁠—led by Republicans⁠—released a report later on Thursday claiming Russians have targeted voting systems in all 50 states in 2016. Though there was no evidence votes were changed, in Illinois "Russian cyberactors were in a position to delete or change voter data."
For $4K (on paper), no less. I can only imagine what's going on behind the scenes. But this is one of those situations where you'd think how it would look might cause someone to think about maybe not taking these donations, but nope. Not members of the GOP.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:25 am

Smoove_B wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:18 pm
I'm sure it was just a coincidence that Mitch McConnell blocked changes to election security after receiving donations.
"It's not surprising to me that Mitch McConnell is receiving these campaign contributions," the Brennan Center for Justice's Lawrence Norden told Sludge last month. "He seems single-handedly to be standing in the way of anything passing in Congress around election security, and that includes things that the vendors might want, like money for the states to replace antiquated equipment."

McConnell's actions seemed even more out of balance with his party, as the Senate Intelligence Committee⁠—led by Republicans⁠—released a report later on Thursday claiming Russians have targeted voting systems in all 50 states in 2016. Though there was no evidence votes were changed, in Illinois "Russian cyberactors were in a position to delete or change voter data."
For $4K (on paper), no less. I can only imagine what's going on behind the scenes. But this is one of those situations where you'd think how it would look might cause someone to think about maybe not taking these donations, but nope. Not members of the GOP.

While you are reading Newsweek about Russia and the Worst American of our lifetime

https://www.newsweek.com/company-russia ... ll-1397061
Rusal, the aluminum company partially owned by Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, announced plans to invest around $200 million to build a new aluminum plant in Kentucky just months after the Trump administration removed it from the U.S. sanctions list.

The new aluminum plant, slated to be built in the home state of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, will be the biggest new aluminum plant constructed in the U.S. in decades. Rusal will have a 40 percent stake in the facility.

"Rusal, one of the leading global aluminium producers, and Braidy Industries Inc., a U.S. base holding company which owns both Veloxint, an MIT-incubated lightweighting solutions company, and NanoAl, a Northwestern University incubated materials research and technology company, announce an intent to establish a joint project in Ashland, Kentucky, USA to produce flat-rolled aluminium products for the U.S. automotive industry," according to a company press release.

Holman

Post by Holman » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:39 pm

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:51 pm

LordMortis wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:25 am
Smoove_B wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:18 pm

While you are reading Newsweek about Russia and the Worst American of our lifetime

https://www.newsweek.com/company-russia ... ll-1397061
Rusal, the aluminum company partially owned by Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, announced plans to invest around $200 million to build a new aluminum plant in Kentucky just months after the Trump administration removed it from the U.S. sanctions list.

The new aluminum plant, slated to be built in the home state of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, will be the biggest new aluminum plant constructed in the U.S. in decades. Rusal will have a 40 percent stake in the facility.

"Rusal, one of the leading global aluminium producers, and Braidy Industries Inc., a U.S. base holding company which owns both Veloxint, an MIT-incubated lightweighting solutions company, and NanoAl, a Northwestern University incubated materials research and technology company, announce an intent to establish a joint project in Ashland, Kentucky, USA to produce flat-rolled aluminium products for the U.S. automotive industry," according to a company press release.
Don't forget the DOT projects he got via his DOT Secretary wife fair and square, either. Maybe the $200M from Russia was make good for making her sell her Vulcan Marterials (road pavers) stock.

These people are looting the country at unprecedented levels in both scale and flagrancy.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

malchior

Post by malchior » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:10 am

Think this is the best thread for this ... the wild story last night by former Overstock CEO Patrick Byrne is crazy. He is claiming that agents reporting up to Peter Strok and James Comey sanctioned an operation where he was told to start a romantic relationship with Maria Butina to get information on Russian espionage. It is being met with intense skepticism and Comey has flat out denied it already. Cuomo also had him on for an interview last night where he seemed pretty coherent about it but it doesn't make sense. The FBI has a lot of tools that don't involve bringing in a civilian to romance a suspected Russian intelligence asset. It feels way too risky for them. My very uninformed guess is that the FBI used him where he volunteered and didn't direct him as described. Instead, he got enmeshed by her and her support network and ultimately the Russians have kompromat on him. They are now using him to push 'deep state' propaganda out into the Fox News space. But perhaps that is too far fetched and this guy just is an attention seeker.

Edit: Some people are saying Byrne is known as a bit of an odd character who has bankrolled conspiracy theory sites in the past. This is sounding like another fine 'information' era spiral of 'deep state' nonsense.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:46 am

Are we absolutely sure Byrne isn't really John McAfee in disguise?

Also, how long until Fox and Friends declare Byrne to be an American hero, and Trump tweets out something about him...using multiple exclamation marks?

edit: answer: not long. I see he's already taking up a lot of their news right now. As a matter of fact, I can't seem to find any interviews with Byrne being done by anyone BUT Fox this morning.

My favorite quote from the nutjob during a Trump Media Fox News interview:
every time I see one of these things, somebody drives 600 miles to gun down 20 strangers in the mall, I guess I feel a bit responsible.”
Sounds like someone just wants to feel important and will tell people anything to seem important. Almost 3 years of Trump has made such things easily recognizable.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic