Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: The Semi-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread

Post by Zarathud »

America: Yes, Roger Stone is a jackass.

Tucker Carlson keeps hurting America.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

An interesting plagiarism scandal is breaking out around Jill Abramson (former NY TImes Editor) in her just released book 'Merchants of Truth'. The thread is worth a read as Michael Moynihan lays out errors and plagiarized text with their sources. Not a great look considering her high profile.

Full thread here

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I always assume that when high profile people release a book, it's almost completely ghost written anyway, so I don't really care what happens to any of it, not the book, not the "writer, not the writer. I'm just not a fan. If it's not dishonest, it's at least misleading, and I don't like it.

If the book is plagiarized, even if just small portions, I'm perfectly happy with whatever consequences come of it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:27 pm I always assume that when high profile people release a book, it's almost completely ghost written anyway, so I don't really care what happens to any of it, not the book, not the "writer, not the writer. I'm just not a fan. If it's not dishonest, it's at least misleading, and I don't like it.

If the book is plagiarized, even if just small portions, I'm perfectly happy with whatever consequences come of it.
But in this case the author was a journalist and editor. Isn't it weird that a professional writer would use a ghost?

(Some fallout from all this is that I learned that Eisenhower used a ghost writer for his memoir Crusade in Europe. Somehow this made me sad.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:01 pm But in this case the author was a journalist and editor. Isn't it weird that a professional writer would use a ghost?
Probably. I just don't care, because as I said, any high profile personality releasing a book automatically warrants the assumption that someone else wrote it or was a collaboration. I mean, your point is logical, but I just don't care because they are all paying someone else to write it for them in my mind. That doesn't make it true, it's just how I view these things.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Oh shit! (Bezos vs. AMI)
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Dick pics you say?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Damn. Probably sorry they went up against Bezos.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:33 pm Dick pics you say?
Semi-erect manhood to be precise.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:18 pm Oh shit! (Bezos vs. AMI)
Just heard about this and read Bezos’ letter. Holy shit is right. I hope he burns AMI to the ground and pisses on the ashes. Pecker made a rather significant miscalculation about how much Bezos could afford not to care about people seeing his dick.

Whole thing reminds me of Freeman’s “Good Luck” scene in Dark Knight.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holy crapola... :shock:

:pop:
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I suspect the Huffington Post has been praying for the day they could run the headline, “Bezos Exposes Pecker”. :lol:
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Amazon Suggestion for David Pecker:
Because you considered "Blackmailing the Richest Man Who Ever Lived," we recommend you "Get an Orange Jumpsuit."
:lol: :clap:
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I'm not always crazy about Amazon, but I'm pretty high on Bezos right now. That was the best thing I've read in ages. Fuck AMI and David Pecker.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Bezos ain’t dicking around!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kurth wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:27 am I'm not always crazy about Amazon, but I'm pretty high on Bezos right now. That was the best thing I've read in ages. Fuck AMI and David Pecker.
Agreed. Going up against the National Enquirer is the rare event that would make me actively cheer for Jeff Bezos.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Help me out, I don't speak tech.

I assume that screenshot means National Enquirer is hosted by Amazon or something?
hepcat

Re: The SemiI-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread

Post by hepcat »

I erroneously assumed at first that Huber was trying to say AMI and Amazon are bed buddies because AMI uses AWS (Amazon Web Services) for hosting/services...which millions of companies/people also do. However, I realized I was wrong after reading some of his follow up comments, and that Huber seems to be saying is that since AMI uses AWS, they should just cut them off.
Covfefe!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Is it really just occurring to Pecker that extortion and blackmail might just contravene his immunity deal? Seriously, do they have Rudy Guiliani giving them legal advice?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The most discouraging thing about all this is that most legal experts are claiming that AMI probably isn't guilty of any real crime. Other than being slimy, of course.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

At least their reputation for journalistic integrity will take a PR hit. Their market is super sophisticated right leaners, and they won't stand for this shit.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:39 am At least their reputation for journalistic integrity will take a PR hit. Their market is super sophisticated right leaners, and they won't stand for this shit.
You almost had me there . . . .

(And you probably would have if not for the second sentence.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't actually know who their market is, but it's the inquirer, so it's a tabloid (sophisticated), and it has been identified as helping drumpf by buying and killing anti-drumpf stories (right leaning), so I figured...
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:27 am The most discouraging thing about all this is that most legal experts are claiming that AMI probably isn't guilty of any real crime. Other than being slimy, of course.
Do you have any links to people saying that? I'd like to hear why it isn't extortion.

Edit: I've found a few articles saying AMI likely did nothing wrong around how they came into possession of the pictures (which I get), but they also note the evidence Bezos lays out, if true, is textbook extortion.
Last edited by stessier on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Well, FWIW here's one from CNN (although he's kind of neither here nor there):

Spoiler:
CNN Chief Legal Analyst @jeffreytoobin on the National Enquirer's alleged conduct: "It's disgraceful journalism, it's disgraceful behavior. Whether it's an actual crime?...I'm not prepared to say...off the top of my head that this is definitely a crime." https://cnn.it/2GtHUmY
Last edited by gilraen on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Bezos exposes Pecker.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think Toobin needs to ponder a bit more.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:55 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:27 am The most discouraging thing about all this is that most legal experts are claiming that AMI probably isn't guilty of any real crime. Other than being slimy, of course.
Do you have any links to people saying that? I'd like to hear why it isn't extortion.

Edit: I've found a few articles saying AMI likely did nothing wrong around how they came into possession of the pictures (which I get), but they also note the evidence Bezos lays out, if true, is textbook extortion.
NPR had a bit on it this morning and they also were hesitant to say whether or not AMI committed a crime. To me, it's unfathomable to think they didn't. But I guess the law treats cases like this, in which no demand for money or other material gain is made (one of the things NPR's legal analyst brought up), differently than I would have expected.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

In several of the emails, AMI counsel was very sure to say they came about all the pics and texts legally. That doesn't necessarily mean that they did, but if they took that much care to claim it was legal, I doubt they'd immediately turn around and commit a crime.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:53 pm In several of the emails, AMI counsel was very sure to say they came about all the pics and texts legally. That doesn't necessarily mean that they did, but if they took that much care to claim it was legal, I doubt they'd immediately turn around and commit a crime.
Maybe they got the same representatives as Trump?

Edit: Here's an article from Wapo (amusingly) from 2017 talking about the subject. It appears the trickiness comes from the interaction of them having the legal right to publish the pictures and what they are requesting Bezos do to stop their publication. The article doesn't provide any conclusions, just that it is a tricky, poorly defined area...which is something we always want in our laws. :roll:

Here's an article that delves into the history of the crime of informational blakcmail and argues it shouldn't be illegal at all.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:53 pm In several of the emails, AMI counsel was very sure to say they came about all the pics and texts legally. That doesn't necessarily mean that they did, but if they took that much care to claim it was legal, I doubt they'd immediately turn around and commit a crime.
If they had reason to believe the person they obtained them from did not obtain them legally, what does that say? I know you can't legally sell a stolen car you bought legally and buying goods a reasonable person would believe were obtained illegally has legal complications, doesn't it or does freedom of the press Donald Trump that?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I wonder if Bezos (or his girlfriend) was using an iPhone... The UAE seem pretty tight with the Saudis these days.

But I suppose it could have just as easily have been the Russians doing a solid for Trump (who certainly seemed pleased when the story about Bezos' divorce broke last month).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Phone doesn't matter. It's the signal and they're all compromised.

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:11 pm Phone doesn't matter. It's the signal and they're all compromised.
It depends on how the texts/images were acquired. Getting at the data in transit requires access to the infrastructure, while Karma simply requires (or required, if Apple has fixed the vulnerability) the target's phone number.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:11 pm Phone doesn't matter. It's the signal and they're all compromised.
Related to Max's comments, getting access to the data in mid-stream doesn't help if the data is encrypted. Accessing the phone itself can get around that if the phone itself is not encrypted. A quick google tells me far more apps are end to end encrypted now than I expected, although I didn't delve into data storage encryption on phones.

My co-workers have always assumed their data is compromised at all times, and use VPN's and end to end encryption as a matter of principle. I mostly do what they do because they mock me if I don't. My texts to my wife about picking up some milk on the way home are encrypted. Yay.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:20 pm
It depends on how the texts/images were acquired. Getting at the data in transit requires access to the infrastructure, while Karma simply requires (or required, if Apple has fixed the vulnerability) the target's phone number.
They have the infrastructure, that's the point. The simpler way I'd more likely, of course, but let's not kid ourselves that it's the only way.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've said it before, but someday this is going to make an absolutely amazing movie. Trump, hookers peeing on beds, Jeff Bezos having his electronic devices compromised by foreign agents. But right now? Holy shit. We'll all be lucky to survive.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

May you live in interesting times.