Thread for 'Alt-Facts'

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Thread for 'Alt-Facts'

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Maybe he's talking about the bomb at the Atlanta Olympic games? Oh wait, that wasn't a terrorist attack - it was done by a white guy.
Right but I think we can all agree that we clearly remember hearing Richard Jewell yelling 'Allahu akbar!' at the time.
It was labeled as terrorism according to wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Rudolph
Eric Robert Rudolph (born September 19, 1966), also known as the Olympic Park Bomber, is an American domestic terrorist convicted for a series of anti-abortion and anti-gay-motivated bombings across the southern United States between 1996 and 1998, which killed two people and injured over 120 others.[1]
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A travel ban to and within Atlanta so would have prevented this terrible incident.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jeff V wrote:A travel ban to and within Atlanta so would have prevented this terrible incident.
The South had a sort of travel ban in place for certain people. Some say that was the cause for eventual burning of Atlanta...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Was this already covered? Can't keep up with all the bullshit.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Maybe he's talking about the bomb at the Atlanta Olympic games? Oh wait, that wasn't a terrorist attack - it was done by a white guy.
Oh, I'm sure he probably is. However, if he repeats the words "radical Islam" enough times, his supporters won't care/believe that it was actually a home-grown white Christian.
Nope, it's about making shit up in order to justify the curbing of the Bill of Rights. Make Government Bigger Again!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's a good day for the Alt-Facts. From Pyperkub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoSF_2- ... e=youtu.be

The Murder rate is at a 47 year high.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The stream of bullshit and lies coming out of the White House is so strong, it kind of feels like I'm watching World War Z. It's impossible to escape, and I'm afraid it'll overwhelm everyone in time.

Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Who is this Jake Tapper dude, and does he actually have some spine, or is it all for show and ratings? I've seen his name come up a few times now regarding pushing back on the bs more than the other news sheep.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Was this already covered? Can't keep up with all the bullshit.
Yeah, sorry, I let the thread down. Honestly cannot keep up...there's way too much. Someone warned me about that early on. Maybe I should just link to Politifact in the first post? :P

Let's just say there are lots of lies...LOTS. Daily. And the biggest liars are loudly criticizing everyone else for lying. It's mind-numbing, which I think is probably the goal. Well played, if so.

Also, speaking of lying liars and the lies they repeat, whither Kelly Ann Conway? Has her desiccated shell (with fully functioning, oversized mouth) been retired to a broom closet in the WH somewhere?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

There is a great appearance by Jake Tapper on Colbert's Late Show where they talk about meeting on the campaign trail as junior reporters following McCain. He gets what's going on and is doing a pretty decent job standing his ground.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
tgb

Post by tgb »

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Politico
Touting the first jobs report of Donald Trump’s tenure, White House press secretary Sean Spicer claimed without evidence Friday that the jobs figures “may have been phony in the past, but it’s very real now.”

Spicer, addressing reporters at the afternoon briefing, did not back up the assertion that previous federal jobs reports were “phony,” as Trump repeatedly said during the campaign without backing up the claim. But Spicer nonetheless confirmed that the president believes the figures are legitimate now that they signal economic growth under his administration.

“In the past, the president has referred to particular job reports as phony or totally fiction,” a reporter asked. “Does the president believe that this jobs report was accurate and a fair way to measure the economy?”

“I talked to the president prior to this, and he said to quote him very clearly,” Spicer said. “They may have been phony in the past, but it’s very real now.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

And everybody laughed at that in a good-natured way... HA HA HA HA HA HA! Welp, that's Trump, amiright? Oh man, that is rich!

Too bad he's serious you wankers.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote:And everybody laughed at that in a good-natured way... HA HA HA HA HA HA! Welp, that's Trump, amiright? Oh man, that is rich!

...and probably believes it himself. The man is dazzled by his own brilliance.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote:And everybody laughed at that in a good-natured way... HA HA HA HA HA HA! Welp, that's Trump, amiright? Oh man, that is rich!

I'm seeing Twitter light up with indignant complaint about the reporters' laughter, but I don't think this is the press being complicit with Trump alt-reality. The initial question wouldn't have been asked that way if there weren't a sense that Trump's past claims were 100% bullshit.

Most of all, notice that no one took Spicer's/Trump's implication and reported it as truth. Spicer's answer is being reported as weird, not definitive.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Not sure if it's posted anywhere but Feb 15 and Feb 16 had higher gains. Also saw a media release by some flunky about the great feb 17 numbers next to the press release from last year about how they were too low.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Holman

Post by Holman »

tjg_marantz wrote:Not sure if it's posted anywhere but Feb 15 and Feb 16 had higher gains. Also saw a media release by some flunky about the great feb 17 numbers next to the press release from last year about how they were too low.
https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/8 ... 6737340420
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

That's the one! Thanks :)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
tgb

Post by tgb »

Just thought I'd share the t-shirt that arrived the other day.

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, Trump dropped unemployment from 42 percent to 4.7 percent in less than 3 months! :shock:
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:Wow, Trump dropped unemployment from 42 percent to 4.7 percent in less than 3 months! :shock:
He hired everyone who showed up for the inauguration. They are now gainfully employed as voices in his head.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

tgb wrote:Just thought I'd share the t-shirt that arrived the other day.

Love it. Must have.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

hepcat wrote:Wow, Trump dropped unemployment from 42 percent to 4.7 percent in less than 3 months! :shock:
Without passing any legislation or signing any EOs that actually had anything to do with jobs!

It's a festivus miracle!!
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
tgb

Post by tgb »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Microwaves, huh? This morning on the Today show she claimed that everyone knows you can be spied on by your TV. :roll:
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk, ice cream? Ice cream, Mandrake? Children's ice cream!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
morlac

Post by morlac »

malchior wrote:
Right but I think we can all agree that we clearly remember hearing Richard Jewell yelling 'Allahu akbar!' at the time.
Talk about Alt Facts... poor guy is still getting blamed for it.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Jeff V wrote:Microwaves, huh? This morning on the Today show she claimed that everyone knows you can be spied on by your TV. :roll:

Not entirely untrue...

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/smart-tv- ... ttlement/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2 ... t-way-spy/

If it's connected to the net, it can be used to spy.
Holman

Post by Holman »

https://twitter.com/tomtomorrow/status/ ... 9983454208
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote:Microwaves, huh? This morning on the Today show she claimed that everyone knows you can be spied on by your TV. :roll:
I thought Smart TVs had been demonstrated to not only have the capacity to spy on you, but in fact had been (though not for gubmint)

http://www.snopes.com/2016/02/12/samsun ... vs-spying/

Pretty much anything with a mic and voice recognition records info and stores it somewhere for a period of time. There have been court cases about subpoenas for Alexa data.

http://crimefeed.com/2016/12/alexa-do-y ... of-things/

Laptops left on have had their cameras taken over by botnets...

https://www.howtogeek.com/210921/how-to ... ou-should/

The idea that there is such a thing as a general contemporary privacy when we are nigh constantly surrounded by Internet enabled active electronic recording devices is kind of a happy naivete.

Edit, this was a timely thing to show up in my FB feed:

tgb

Post by tgb »

That was part of the same interview, I think.

stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

tgb wrote:Kellyanne thinks the gubment is spying on you through your microwave.

I never did trust that Redenbacher guy.
Turning microwaves into Cameras?

If there were chewing gum and paper clips involved, I suppose MacGyver could manage to do that...
Enough

Post by Enough »

LordMortis wrote:
I thought Smart TVs had been demonstrated to not only have the capacity to spy on you, but in fact had been (though not for gubmint)

Pretty much anything with a mic and voice recognition records info and stores it somewhere for a period of time. There have been court cases about subpoenas for Alexa data.

The idea that there is such a thing as a general contemporary privacy when we are nigh constantly surrounded by Internet enabled active electronic recording devices is kind of a happy naivete.

And that's why A Brave New World is a much closer analog to our current situation than 1984.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
tgb

Post by tgb »

Enough wrote:
LordMortis wrote:

And that's why A Brave New World is a much closer analog to our current situation than 1984.
Perhaps, but Lord of the Flies is probably closest of all.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It doesn't have to be an either/or proposition. When Bannon is finished, you'll have A Brave New World for the exploiters and Nineteen Eighty-Four for the exploitees.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch