Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jaymann

Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States

Post by Jaymann »

I heard about this on Joe Rogan's podcast. Well worth watching (part one) and fairly even handed. I knew most of this, but fascinating to see it summarized in a one hour video, especially the analysis of Woodrow Wilson.
Spoiler:
Even Teddy Roosevelt was a shill for the robber barons.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Re: Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States

Post by Holman »

I no longer give Oliver Stone the benefit of the doubt. As a muckraker, he's capable of bringing unacknowledged sins to light, but he's often shown a slant that goes beyond bias to outright conspiracy theory. I put him alongside Howard Zinn and Noam Chomsky that way.

I haven't seen this series, but the reviews from generally liberal sources seem to say the same thing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

That was my impression watching the first episode. Yes, America has done some bad things, but don't act like Russia is a paradise under the communists.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Moliere wrote:That was my impression watching the first episode. Yes, America has done some bad things, but don't act like Russia is a paradise under the communists.
I don't think he is making that case. Will wait until I see part 2.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter