Religious threats and violence

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Authorities investigating recent bomb threats against Jewish institutions nationwide arrested a former journalist Friday morning and said he was behind at least some of the threats, describing them as part of the man’s campaign to harass a woman.

The arrest in St. Louis appears to be the first made in response to a recent wave of bomb threats at Jewish centers and schools across the country in recent days. Headstones also have been vandalized at Jewish cemeteries in Missouri, Pennsylvania and, most recently, upstate New York.

But officials said Friday that they don’t believe the man — Juan Thompson, 31 — was behind all of the calls or the vandalism.
Thompson is a journalist who was fired from the Intercept, an investigative journalism website, for fabricating quotes and misleading colleagues to cover his tracks. In an editor’s note last year, the publication said Thompson had engaged in “a pattern of deception” and wrote that he created fake email accounts to impersonate people.
Thompson was charged with cyberstalking for allegedly communicating at least eight threats to Jewish Community Centers as part of a sustained campaign of harassment targeting a woman.
According to the complaint, the woman and Thompson had been in a romantic relationship, and after their relationship ended, he began sending defamatory emails and faxes to her workplace, making false reports that she was involved in criminal activity and making threats to the Jewish centers in her name. Attempts to reach the woman were not immediately successful.
Thompson’s page also expresses disdain for President Trump and white people generally. “White folk are trash,” he wrote in a tweet about the Oscars. He praised black women for their opposition to Trump “The only person to call Trump a fascist in the #dncdebate is a black woman,” he wrote. “Of course. Black women are the root of left mvmnts.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Re: Religious threats and violence

Post by Moliere »

"Religious threats and violence"

I already created Islam and ISIS threads. :wink:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote:WaPo
Those praying for God to send an evil white supremacist are once again let down. Sigh. :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

em2nought wrote:
Those praying for God to send an evil white supremacist are once again let down. Sigh. :wink:
I'll copy & paste what I offered up to your commanding officer.
Paingod wrote:
Rip wrote:Surprise, surprise. They arrested someone for bomb threats to Jewish Community Centers, Jewish schools and other Jewish organizations and they are an anti-Trumper.
You're seriously excited that the one of the people accused of delivering threats is just a garden-variety asshole and not a Pro-Trumper? That's the best news you can muster from "Go Team Trump!" ... ? Good odds that this asshole simply thought it would be a good time because of the environment Trump has fostered, despite not being a rabid supporter. He's more of an opportunist leeching off Trump's evil.

You're right. That's cause to :dance:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Paingod wrote:
em2nought wrote:
I'll copy & paste what I offered up to your commanding officer.
Paingod wrote:
Rip wrote:Surprise, surprise. They arrested someone for bomb threats to Jewish Community Centers, Jewish schools and other Jewish organizations and they are an anti-Trumper.
You're seriously excited that the one of the people accused of delivering threats is just a garden-variety asshole and not a Pro-Trumper? That's the best news you can muster from "Go Team Trump!" ... ? Good odds that this asshole simply thought it would be a good time because of the environment Trump has fostered, despite not being a rabid supporter. He's more of an opportunist leeching off Trump's evil.

You're right. That's cause to :dance:
If you're not willing to own it, deflect it. :wink:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

em2nought wrote:If you're not willing to own it, deflect it. :wink:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..............................................

Seriously, you gotta stop, I can't catch my breath.....

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rip

Post by Rip »

:violin:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Well, this thread is going well.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isn't it, though?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Skinypupy wrote:Well, this thread is going well.
I've missed you guys too. :wink:
raydude

Post by raydude »

Rip wrote: :violin:
I'm so glad you think they caught the one guy responsible for all the vandalism. Now explain how he managed to jet all around the country and vandalize the cemeteries. I'm sure you can blow the case wide open, cochise. 8-)
Rip

Post by Rip »

raydude wrote:
Rip wrote: :violin:
I'm so glad you think they caught the one guy responsible for all the vandalism. Now explain how he managed to jet all around the country and vandalize the cemeteries. I'm sure you can blow the case wide open, cochise. 8-)
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/05/us/brookl ... index.html
Authorities have determined that tombstones disturbed at a historic Jewish cemetery in New York this weekend were damaged by environmental causes and not by vandalism.

A New York City Police Department hate-crime task force had been investigating whether the damage to the granite and marble tombstones at Washington Cemetery in Brooklyn was intentional.
The task force concluded its investigation on Sunday, finding that the cause was environmental, which can include soil erosion and lack of maintenance.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
A new wave of threats were made late Monday and Tuesday to Jewish schools and institutions, including the New York and Washington offices of the Anti-Defamation League, according to that group and other officials.

These latest bomb threats came as a letter signed by every U.S. senator was sent to top law enforcement officials in the Trump administration, asking them to do more in response to the bout of threatening messages that have continuously rattled Jewish groups this year.
The senators’ letter and the new threats underscored the anxiety still present in Jewish communities four days after a disgraced former journalist was arrested and charged with being responsible for a handful of the threatening messages.

Authorities have accused 31-year-old Juan Thompson of making at least eight of the more than 100 threats that have been reported. The FBI, which has called its investigation of the threats “a top priority,” said they do not think Thompson was behind all of the calls or responsible for the vandalism of headstones at three Jewish cemeteries.
The threats Tuesday targeted facilities in at least eight states, Washington, D.C., and Toronto, officials said.

“Four ADL offices in Atlanta, Boston, New York and Washington D.C. received telephoned bomb threats today,” Jonathan A. Greenblatt, the ADL’s chief executive, said in a statement. “This is not ‘normal.’ We will not be deterred or intimidated.”
Greenblatt said that the new threats included those to “at least six JCCs and three day schools in Oregon, Wisconsin, Illinois, New York, Florida, Maryland and Toronto.” The Jewish Community Center Association of North America said that “several” facilities received threats made via telephone calls or emails Monday night or Tuesday morning.
In their letter, lawmakers said that the threats “are not isolated incidents,” and called them an anti-Semitic attempt to spread fear nationwide.

“This is completely unacceptable and un-American,” the senators wrote. “We are concerned that the number of incidents is accelerating and failure to address and deter these threats will place innocent people at risk and threaten the financial viability of JCCs, many of which are institutions in their communities.”

The letter was addressed to Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, Attorney General Jeff Sessions and FBI Director James B. Comey, two of whom have spoken out about the threats or reached out to community members.
Rip, did you smuggle a phone into Juan Thompson's St. Louis jail?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also great is that this one included three Mass. Jewish institutions. That includes one of the local Jewish day schools, Solomon Schechter. That's not the Jewish day school that my daughter attends, although she was accepted there in addition to the one that she is going to, and we considered sending her there (and we have friends who send their kids there). And presumably if this stuff continues her school is reasonably likely to get a bomb threat eventually.

And, of course, all it takes is one asshole to do actual violence for this to become a huge crisis.
Black Lives Matter.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Rip wrote:[
Authorities have determined that tombstones disturbed at a historic Jewish cemetery in New York this weekend were damaged by environmental causes and not by vandalism.

A New York City Police Department hate-crime task force had been investigating whether the damage to the granite and marble tombstones at Washington Cemetery in Brooklyn was intentional.
The task force concluded its investigation on Sunday, finding that the cause was environmental, which can include soil erosion and lack of maintenance.
Just because someone drops dead of a heart attack doesn't mean murders aren't committed daily.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

tgb wrote:
Rip wrote:[

Just because someone drops dead of a heart attack doesn't mean murders aren't committed daily.
In Riplandia of False Equivalence, it most certainly does.
Rip

Post by Rip »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/10/us/nypd-i ... index.html
One man is using technical skills to disguise his voice and spoof his phone number while threatening Jewish religious centers and schools across the country, the head of police intelligence for New York City told CBS.

On Thursday, John Miller said one person is behind most of the bomb threats, while others have been perpetrated by copycats.
Miller said there are clues that may lead to the primary offender's capture.
Miller said the main culprit is a man who uses a voice changer to sound on the phone like he is a woman. He also uses voice over internet protocol and phone spoofing to make calls appear to be coming from a number at the Jewish center or school that is the subject of the threat.
:whistle:
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

whistle emoji what you sycophant.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kinda related I guess, although neither a threat nor violence, just assholery: my 12 YO daughter came home from middle school the other day, visibly upset. Wife pressed her to know what was wrong and she said a kid at school called her "Logan's Jew slut" (Logan is her best friend). Punk kid looked at her and then said "what, you are a Jew, aren't you? You sure look it".

This was as she was sitting down in the cafeteria to eat...no provocation or anything.

Wife talks to principal and principal tells her she's had a big uptick in cases like this since the election. I guess those kids' comments are fake,too, to make Trump look bad, and the uptick is just a damn coincidence.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Rip wrote:
Environmental causes are a hoax.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Rip wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/10/us/nypd-i ... index.html
One man is using technical skills to disguise his voice and spoof his phone number while threatening Jewish religious centers and schools across the country, the head of police intelligence for New York City told CBS.

On Thursday, John Miller said one person is behind most of the bomb threats, while others have been perpetrated by copycats.
Miller said there are clues that may lead to the primary offender's capture.
Miller said the main culprit is a man who uses a voice changer to sound on the phone like he is a woman. He also uses voice over internet protocol and phone spoofing to make calls appear to be coming from a number at the Jewish center or school that is the subject of the threat.
:whistle:
It's really telling that your first thought in posting this article is not "Hey guys, they're closing in on the terrorist fucker who's scaring everyone." It's "Hey guys, I told you so." Talk about completely missing the point.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Damn, that one guy has been really busy.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Skinypupy wrote:Damn, that one guy has been really busy.
That's what I was thinking. I hope he has unlimited minutes.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Breitbart is saying it's Obama.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Breitbart is saying it's Obama.
So are Trump and Rip.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Don't they say that about everything?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

tgb wrote:
So are Trump and Rip.
Superfluous to write that Trump is saying something after it's been written that Breitbart says it. And now, apparently that applies to "Deep State" Hannity as well. (Hannity talks about it, Trump tweets or exec orders something about that within 24 hours of the show).
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

tgb

Post by tgb »

Alefroth wrote:He's now a master of disguise.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/11/us/muslim ... tore-fire/
Setting a dumpster on fire seems strangely apropos.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You guys are getting too far ahead. It takes Rip time to scour the internet for a single instance of fraud in this matter each time you post about an incident. Can you hold off until he's had a chance to bring the ratio down to at least 1 in 5?
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Israelis hold teen over US bomb threats
Israeli police say a 19-year-old man with American and Israeli citizenship is suspected of making threats against Jewish institutions worldwide.

Police arrested the suspect in the south of Israel on Thursday morning over threats against Jewish communities in the US, New Zealand and Australia.

He was detained by Israeli cyber-fraud police, after an inquiry with the FBI and other law enforcement agencies.

Last month an ex-US journalist was arrested for several of the threats.

Investigators say that 31-year-old suspect's alleged calls were part of a bizarre campaign against a former girlfriend.

But Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said on Thursday the latest suspect's motives are unclear.

Investigators say the Israeli teen used camouflage technologies to disguise the origin of his calls.

He is also suspected of making threats against an airline, at one point forcing a plane to make an emergency landing in order to be searched for explosives.

In the US, more than 120 hoax bomb threats have been made against Jewish schools, synagogues and cultural centres since earlier January, according to the Anti-Defamation League.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dude, you stole Rip's thunder. You KNOW he's the one who reports on this kind of thing.
He won. Period.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:Dude, you stole Rip's thunder. You KNOW he's the one who reports on this kind of thing.
Just another foreigner stealing an American job.

:D
Rip

Post by Rip »

http://torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/40074
Update: On Monday, January 15, 2018, the Toronto Police Service announced that investigators have determined the events described in this news release did not happen.
:ninja:
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Why the ninja?

Oh, right...you have a personal war going against anyone who's Muslim and you enjoy it when you can point out a bad apple in the group. I forgot. You may proceed with your prejudice.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The suspect in a string of stabbings during a Hanukkah celebration at a rabbi's Monsey, New York, home was found with "blood all over him," a law enforcement source with direct knowledge of the case told CNN on Sunday.

Grafton Thomas was driving a Nissan Sentra across the George Washington Bridge into New York City when his car's tag was captured by a license plate reader at about 11:45 p.m. Saturday, about an hour after the attack, authorities said.
Five people were taken to area hospitals after the suspect entered the Hanukkah celebration in the New York suburb and began stabbing people, according to police and witnesses.

The victims are Hasidic Jews, the Orthodox Jewish Public Affairs Council for the Hudson Valley Region said in a tweet. Two people are in critical condition, council co-founder Yossi Gestetner told CNN.

One of the victims is the son of Rabbi Chaim Rottenberg, at whose home the attack unfolded, and another victim suffered head wounds and is in serious condition, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. The rabbi's son is recovering, he said.
There were at least 100 people in the home at the time, as the rabbi was "lighting the candle" on the seventh night of Hanukkah, Kohn said.
This is the second stabbing in Monsey since November. An Orthodox Jewish man was stabbed several times November 20 while walking to synagogue, officials said. He was taken to a hospital where he underwent surgery.

Saturday's stabbing is the 13th act of anti-Semitism in New York in the past three weeks, in addition to other hateful incidents targeting the black, Latino and LGBT communities, Cuomo said.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman

Post by Holman »

It's being reported that Grafton Thomas (the Hanukkah attacker) has no known ties to extremist organizations and a long history of schizophrenia.

That doesn't make it any better, and it doesn't even absolve him of antisemitism, but somehow it does seem like a relief to not see an organized terror group behind this.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Federal prosecutors on Monday filed hate crimes charges against the man accused of charging into a rabbi’s New York home with a machete, wounding five as they celebrated Hanukkah.

A criminal complaint points to ... handwritten journals and online search history as evidence the 37-year-old sought to target Jews, a day after [his] family said the suspect has “no known history of anti-Semitism” and attributed his alleged actions to “profound mental illness.”
A cellphone recovered from his car revealed recent searches for phrases like “German Jewish Temples near me” and “Why did Hitler hate the Jews,” the document states.
The suspect’s browser history showed queries related to Nazis, Jews and synagogues dating back to at least Nov. 9, according to the complaint filed in Manhattan by the U.S. Attorney’s office for the Southern District of New York.
Some writings refer to Adolf Hitler and “Nazi Culture” alongside drawings of a swastika and Star of David, the document says, while others question “why [people] mourned for anti-Semitism when there is Semitic genocide.”