Trump's Immigration Policy

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Trump's Immigration Policy

Post by Isgrimnur »

As The Meal has noted, the catchall thread for Trump behavior is a bit bloated. The discussion of major issues of his approach, I believe, would be better served with dedicated threads.

Revised Executive Order
President Trump signed a new travel ban Monday that administration officials said they hope will end legal challenges over the matter by imposing a 90-day ban on the issuance of new visas for citizens of six majority-Muslim nations, authorities said.

In addition, the nation’s refu­gee program will be suspended for 120 days, and it will not accept more than 50,000 refugees in a year, down from the 110,000 cap set by the Obama administration.
The new guidelines name six of the seven countries included in the first executive order but leave out Iraq. That nation will increase cooperation with the United States on additional security vetting under separate negotiations and its citizens are not subject to the new order, according to a fact sheet provided by the administration.

A Department of Homeland official, speaking on the condition of anonymity on a call with reporters, said Iraq was “treated differently” in part because the country had agreed to “timely repatriation” of their citizens if they were ordered deported from the United States.

The new order provides other exceptions not contained explicitly in previous versions: for travelers from those countries who are legal permanent residents of the United States, dual nationals who use a passport from another country and those who have been granted asylum or refu­gee status. Anyone who holds a visa now should be able to get into the country without any problems, though those whose visas expire will have to reapply, officials said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Re: Trump's Immigration Policy

Post by Smoove_B »

The ACLU has a document posted with the tracked changes from the January ban.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

8-)

:x
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Holman

Post by Holman »

https://twitter.com/journorosa/status/8 ... 5235232769

He has been an American citizen for more than 30 years.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jesus Christ. It doesn't say who told him this, though - Homeland Security? ICE specifically? Trump?
Black Lives Matter.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Fake news alive and well.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Rip wrote:Fake news alive and well.
Real news, but with uncertain sources. Needs clarity. Not fake, unless you're calling a man who has paid for your freedoms with his family's blood a liar out of hand without any evidence to back that up.

A quick story. It does need more detail, in particular who told him this.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Fair enough. From Google it looks like people are figuring out what's going on with this. Information appears to be coming from "Ramsay Talks", the organization where supposedly Khan was to speak in Toronto.

Hopefully this turns out to be nonsense (and there are some odd / suspicious parts to the story, so reason to be skeptical).
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote: https://twitter.com/journorosa/status/8 ... 5235232769

He has been an American citizen for more than 30 years.
I sincerely doubt this is true. I think this should be viewed with a heaping dose of skepticism until verified. Others suggest as much, too.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Paingod wrote:
Real news, but with uncertain sources. Needs clarity. Not fake, unless you're calling a man who has paid for your freedoms with his family's blood a liar out of hand without any evidence to back that up.

A quick story. It does need more detail, in particular who told him this.
It all depends on how it's framed. I tend to be with Rip on this one to the extent this is circulated and reported on with any assumption of credibility (not that I've seen that, to be clear).

I think the definition of "fake news" is pretty much up for debate these days, but I would include anything purporting to be "news" that comes from highly dubious sources.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kurth wrote:I think the definition of "fake news" is pretty much up for debate these days, but I would include anything purporting to be "news" that comes from highly dubious sources.
I agree that it's up for debate. I fall firmly in the camp of "It's all news, and the stories unfold. Some of it will shake out as false - and that's news too." To me the only truly "Fake News" is stuff that's completely invented and fictitious - but even news about that is still news.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That guy looks just like Defiant.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Afghan family released after detention in Los Angeles
A family from Afghanistan detained on their arrival in Los Angeles last week despite holding special visas granted for the father's service to the U.S. government in that country has been released, their attorneys said Monday.

Lawyers for the family of five, who have not been publicly identified, said that it was still not clear to them why the father, mother and their three sons were taken into custody at Los Angeles International Airport on Thursday, interrogated and held for some 40 hours.

But attorney Robert Blume portrayed the detention as a mistake by U.S. immigration authorities, saying: "The government swung and missed on this one. They just got it wrong."

The family's detention came at a time of increased concern among immigrant rights advocates about tougher scrutiny of visitors as part of U.S. President Donald Trump's crackdown on immigration on national security grounds.

All five members of the family were released on Monday before an emergency hearing sought by their lawyers in U.S. District Court in Santa Ana, California.

During that hearing attorneys for the U.S. Department of Justice did not offer a reason for the family's detention but said the visa they held did not preclude further vetting by immigration agents if warranted.

All five family members, including the couple's three young sons, were ordered to appear at a second hearing scheduled for April 5.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch