Democrat Rising Stars?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kurth

Democrat Rising Stars?

Post by Kurth »

Who are the rising stars for the Democrats? I think one may be Seth Moulton from my old town of Marblehead, MA.
Moulton, a decorated Iraq War veteran from Marblehead, is putting himself on the front line of opposition to President Trump — and right in the middle of the battle over Trump’s controversial executive order to keep citizens of some Muslim-majority countries out of the United States.

. . .

Moulton’s a different kind of Massachusetts Democrat. A Harvard graduate, he became a Marine after 9/11 and served four tours of duty in Iraq, even though he said he opposed the war.

He’s also edgier and less concerned about collegiality. He first won office by beating longtime Democratic incumbent John Tierney. As a freshman congressman, he challenged President Obama’s push to send more troops to Iraq “without a plan to secure the peace,” as Moulton put it. He also backed Representative Tim Ryan of Ohio in his unsuccessful effort to oust Nancy Pelosi as House minority leader. In the aftermath, Moulton got a leadership position as senior whip to Steny Hoyer, the Democratic whip, and a seat on the House Armed Services Committee. He will also serve as vice chairman of an effort to reach out to younger Democrats.

. . .

Moulton’s adding his voice to the fray just as Democrats are listening for a voice for the future. Bernie Sanders is old. Pelosi has been around a long time, and so has Chuck Schumer of New York, the new minority leader in the Senate. Back in Massachusetts, Senator Elizabeth Warren is caught between unhappy supporters on the left and detractors on the right, who don’t like her ultra-liberal positions or demeanor.
He also just made fun of Paul Ryan's work-out routine, too, so there's that!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Re: Democrat Rising Stars?

Post by Kraken »

I like the cut of his jib. Wasn't a big fan early on because he seemed too conservative, but his outspoken Trump resistance has proved me wrong.

Of course, us Massholes always like to cheer for the latest generation of Kennedys too. Dunno if scions of a dynasty can be "rising stars," but there they are.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

He's been in Congress for 16+ years now, but Adam Schiff is getting some publicity for his anti-Trump efforts.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The district attorney from Law and Order?
It's almost as if people are the problem.