The Trump foreign policy thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stessier

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:38 pm
Remus West wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:25 pm I can't. I already have mine set at "any day now".
I can't imagine living life that way. And I live outside of DC!
Except for El Guapo_DC, I think all of us do! ;)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:10 pm
Remus West wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:22 pm
Remus West wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:25 pm I can't. I already have mine set at "any day now".
I'm depressed a lot lately. I try not to envision the world I'll be leaving to my daughter in large part thanks to the asshattery going on in DC.
Yeah, I understand that. There's a lot of people who are depressed by all the insanity going on. But I've decided that there's no reason to let myself get brought down by all the shenanigans - I'd miss out on too much good that's still around.
True and wise.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:27 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:27 pm
Well...I don't think that we need to worry about El Guapo_DC anymore... :ninja:
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Vorret wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:07 pm I'd like to think someone smart would say "uhhh, no." if Trump decided to nuke NK.
I mean it's not like he can simply press a button on his desk and woopeedoo nukes are off.
I heard that they reset the launch code to pi.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:00 pm
Vorret wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:07 pm I'd like to think someone smart would say "uhhh, no." if Trump decided to nuke NK.
I mean it's not like he can simply press a button on his desk and woopeedoo nukes are off.
I heard that they reset the launch code to pi.
Based on recent photos, there’s only a disconnected phone on his desk.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nah, the phone works. Kim Jong has been getting a lot of late night calls from Trump’s PR guy John Barron lately.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How to Build a Wall and Lose an Empire

A nice summary of exactly how much damage has been done to our foreign policy over the past year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:57 pm How to Build a Wall and Lose an Empire

A nice summary of exactly how much damage has been done to our foreign policy over the past year.
:cry:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:50 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:57 pm How to Build a Wall and Lose an Empire

:cry:
The geopolitical payoff for the Russians has been so tremendous that I'd be surprised if they're the only ones diddling the 2018 midterms and beyond.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

And a reminder that the Chinese aren't quite experts at this yet
BEIJING — A lavish four-hour Lunar New Year show televised to millions across China on Thursday night set off a flood of indignation with its caricatures featuring blackface and African men in animal suits.

The gala, televised by China’s state broadcaster, featured a well-known Chinese actress as an African woman with exaggerated buttocks, a large chest, and a face painted black. Carrying a platter of fruit on her head, she was accompanied by an African man dressed as a monkey.
:doh:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unforseen consequences in two states that Trump won:
A looming global tariff on steel and aluminum proposed by the Trump administration that has already irked the U.S. beverage industry could now potentially have even more far-reaching ramifications for the food and drinks world: Word is spreading that the E.U. may already be preparing to retaliate by taxing signature American imports like Kentucky bourbon and Wisconsin cheese.
It will be hilarious if locals actually are more motivated to walk back their support of Trump because of bourbon and cheese instead of the myriad of other arguably more pressing issues we're currently experiencing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There is no problem until it’s my problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 pmThere is no problem until it’s my problem.
The raw history of humanity.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:27 pm

And a reminder that the Chinese aren't quite experts at this yet
BEIJING — A lavish four-hour Lunar New Year show televised to millions across China on Thursday night set off a flood of indignation with its caricatures featuring blackface and African men in animal suits.

The gala, televised by China’s state broadcaster, featured a well-known Chinese actress as an African woman with exaggerated buttocks, a large chest, and a face painted black. Carrying a platter of fruit on her head, she was accompanied by an African man dressed as a monkey.
:doh:
Redwarlord (who used to post here and is a childhood friend of mine) moved to China back in 2016 as his wife got a teaching job at one of the American universities with an international branch in China. He constantly tells me how wildly racist the Chinese locals are. Especially towards black people and Jewish people.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

There are a few YouTubers who talk about living in China. Not only is the culture extremely racist, but they are bluntly open about stereotypes and individual characteristics. And apparently there are opportunities to exploit that in business -- hiring a white foreigner for status is common. But you'll only be their white monkey and your skills aren't as important as your willingness to work cheaply and illegally.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Weird, I was just reading about Chinese racism in The Atlantic
Many Westerners living in China are surprised to learn that while public discourse is heavily policed, with taboo views on democracy or Mao Zedong harshly punished, Chinese people can be startlingly frank in private conversation, voicing opinions that many Americans would be afraid to express to one another for fear of giving offense. People remark casually and candidly on everything from a person’s weight gain or disability to the supposed collective merits or deficiencies of certain ethnic groups.

This custom makes Trump’s attacks on political correctness appealing to some Chinese, according to Yan Gu, a University of Washington doctoral candidate studying authoritarianism who has researched Chinese online opinion about Trump. Chinese netizens “dislike political correctness and neo-liberal rhetoric,” she told me, noting that “a large portion of Chinese online response” to Obama was “quite racist”; one common slur referred to him as “O-Black.” Sentiment about LGBT issues is rather conservative in much of China, where electroshock therapy is sometimes used as a “cure” for homosexuality.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:22 pm Unforseen consequences in two states that Trump won:
A looming global tariff on steel and aluminum proposed by the Trump administration that has already irked the U.S. beverage industry could now potentially have even more far-reaching ramifications for the food and drinks world: Word is spreading that the E.U. may already be preparing to retaliate by taxing signature American imports like Kentucky bourbon and Wisconsin cheese.
It will be hilarious if locals actually are more motivated to walk back their support of Trump because of bourbon and cheese instead of the myriad of other arguably more pressing issues we're currently experiencing.
CNBC
Stocks fell on Thursday after President Donald Trump said the U.S. will implement tariffs on steel and aluminum imports next week.

The Dow Jones industrial average traded 350 points lower after rising more than 150 points earlier in the day. The S&P 500 declined 0.9 percent, with tech as the worst-performing sector. The Nasdaq composite fell 0.9 percent.

The U.S. will set tariffs of 25 percent for steel and 10 percent for aluminum, the president said. It is unclear whether they will apply to all imports or only metals from certain countries.
Wall Street also digested fresh testimony from Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell. Powell spoke before the Senate Finance Committee later on Thursday.

After delivering prepared remarks, he said: "We don't see any strong evidence yet of a decisive move up in wages. We see wages, by a couple measures, trending up a little bit, but most of them continuing to grow at about two and a half percent. Nothing in that suggests to me that wage inflation is at a point of acceleration."
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

That's our Drumpf... on the cutting edge of 18th century economic policies.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The Trump admin is in talks about rejoining the TPP....
More than a year after President Trump abruptly pulled out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, saying it was a bad deal for the United States, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Tuesday that the United States is discussing rejoining the multilateral trade agreement.

Mr. Mnuchin, speaking at an investment summit meeting sponsored by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, said that renegotiating the trade agreement was “on the table” and that he had been in talks with other countries about what it would take for the United States to reverse course.

Mr. Trump withdrew from the deal in January 2017, dooming President Barack Obama’s signature trade agreement and leaving the 11 other countries in the pact scrambling to renegotiate the deal on their own. But Mr. Trump appears to have found a renewed interest in an agreement that he once described as “a rape of our country.”

“I’ve met with several of my counterparties and other people, and we’ve begun to have very high-level conversations about T.P.P.,” Mr. Mnuchin said, adding that Mr. Trump would still prefer to do one-on-one trade agreements first. “It’s not a priority at the moment, but it is something the president will consider.”
:grund:
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

I would think you guys would be happy.

Steel import tariffs hurt Russia as much as anyone.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think joining the TPP would be great. What I'm banging my head about was the idiotic decision to leave in the first place (which clearly wasn't well thought out).
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rip wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:43 pm I would think you guys would be happy.

As well as Ford, GM, and a number of other big related materials companies that are not steel or aluminum manufacturers, but heavily use their products.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:57 pm I think joining the TPP would be great. What I'm banging my head about was the idiotic decision to leave in the first place (which clearly wasn't well thought out).
My real surprise is they recognized the danger of giving Asia to China for free. Now that Xi has consolidated power he will increasingly turn his view outside of China.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:57 pm I think joining the TPP would be great. What I'm banging my head about was the idiotic decision to leave in the first place (which clearly wasn't well thought out).
The thought was "Obama did it."

What more does Trump need?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The US receives only 2% of Russia's steel exports, which have declined over 60% since 2014.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:15 pm

As well as Ford, GM, and a number of other big related materials companies that are not steel or aluminum manufacturers, but heavily use their products.
CAT, Boeing, what a great move.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

The important thing is that this can't possibly provoke reciprocal tariffs, so we won't ever be hindered in any way.

#MAGA!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

So petty, vengeful, and short sighted.
Hodor.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Grifman wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:43 pm

The US receives only 2% of Russia's steel exports, which have declined over 60% since 2014.
Good, still well over 1M metric tons of finished steel.

Also Turkey is a major exporter so yea screw them. Mexico as well, paying for that wall after all.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:14 amMexico as well, paying for that wall after all.
No, American companies that pay higher prices are paying for that wall. Winning!

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rip

Post by Rip »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:41 am
Rip wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:14 amMexico as well, paying for that wall after all.
No, American companies that pay higher prices are paying for that wall. Winning!
I doubt it. Canada will almost certainly be exempt we can get it there. Or you know from our own steel producers.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Making friends wherever he goes.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:21 am
I doubt it. Canada will almost certainly be exempt we can get it there. Or you know from our own steel producers.
Well, if you're not buying it from Mexico then nobody (but the American taxpayer) is paying for the wall then. And American companies will still be paying higher prices than if they bought the steel from the cheaper sources that are going to be hit by tariffs.

Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

pr0ner wrote:So petty, vengeful, and short sighted.
You just nailed the epitaph, if nothing else.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trade-Warrior Shitgibbon wrote:When a country (USA) is losing many billions of dollars on trade with virtually every country it does business with, trade wars are good, and easy to win. Example, when we are down $100 billion with a certain country and they get cute, don’t trade anymore-we win big. It’s easy!
I really, really want to see those Wharton transcripts.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:46 am
Well, if you're not buying it from Mexico then nobody (but the American taxpayer) is paying for the wall then. And American companies will still be paying higher prices than if they bought the steel from the cheaper sources that are going to be hit by tariffs.
I don't mind paying a little more for something from a friend rather than buying it on the cheap from an adversary.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rip wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:54 am
Max Peck wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:46 am
I don't mind paying a little more for something from a friend rather than buying it on the cheap from an adversary.
and the EU is our adversary because.....?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

If the man had stopped at taking a harder line on trade I'd have been fine with it. There was room to talk about imbalances and the impact on stability. Instead he's shown he is unstable, impulsive, unethical, and a fucking moron. He isn't a reliable partner and they have to look out for themselves. And I can't really blame them. Unfortunately we're all in his disastrous path.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Remus West wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:12 am and the EU is our adversary because.....?
You know what the E stands for, right?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range