The Trump foreign policy thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote:
El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:24 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 am And here I was wondering what would trigger the next recession. “The president” was not on the short list.
Really? President Trump was at the top of my short list.
Yeah, I was just about to post the same thing to the thread about the Fed a couple of nights ago when the board went down. The only foreseeable threats to the economy at the moment are self-inflicted ones, and Trump is just the guy to inflict them.

By itself, this won't derail the expansion. If it snowballs, though....
Eh, who am I kidding? The election results is one of the reasons I went back to school.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Enough

Post by Enough »

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:55 am

Seems legit.
Pssst, Carl...blue horseshoe hates Anacott Steel.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Enough

Post by Enough »

Oh no, who does Drumpf pick? Coal or cold, sexy steel?
While tariffs could increase domestic demand for metallurgical coal -- which is used in the steelmaking process -- most of the market for that fuel is abroad. About 75 percent of the coking coal U.S. miners produced in 2017 was sold internationally...
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

On eve of Netanyahu-Trump talks, AIPAC chief calls for Palestinian statehood
What's needed, Howard Kohr declares, is 'two states for two peoples: One Jewish with secure and defensible borders, and one Palestinian with its own flag and its own future'
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, has told South Korean envoys that he is willing to begin negotiations with the United States on abandoning its nuclear weapons and that it would suspend all nuclear and missile tests while engaged in such talks, South Korean officials said on Tuesday.

President Trump reacted with guarded optimism to the news, which potentially represented a major defusing of one of the world’s most tense confrontations.
link
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I wonder what NK's angle is here. I can't imagine they're honestly going to be open to denuclearizing. Perhaps agreeing to these talks it's a signal that they've developed their capacities to a point that they know they can't be fucked with and they're ready to try to extract some concessions. I don't know... I'm just skeptical that this development means that NK is willing to begin cooperating.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Newsweek
When Donald Trump said North Korea “called a couple of days ago” in a speech to the Gridiron Club Saturday, he was actually referring to a call from South Korea, a White House official told South Korean news agency Yonhap.
Of North Korea, he said, “They, by the way, called up a couple of days ago.”

“‘We would like to talk.’ And I said, ‘So would we, but you have to denuke, you have to denuke,’” said Trump.

The unnamed National Security Council official on Monday told Yonhap: “President Trump did not have a call with the North Koreans.”

The official said the president was in fact referring to a March 1 phone call with South Korean President Moon Jae-in, during which the two leaders “noted their firm position that any dialogue with North Korea must be conducted with the explicit and unwavering goal of complete, verifiable, and irreversible denuclearization.”

A White House official confirmed to CNN that Trump was talking about the March 1 conversation with Moon. During that call, Moon “briefed President Trump on developments regarding North Korea and inter-Korean talks,” according to the White House.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I wonder if Trump told South Korea that they had to denuke.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Part of me thinks Trump may have inadvertently deescalated by coming across as a "he's just crazy enough to actually attack us!" kind of leader. It's not the persona a president should adopt, but in this case being crazier than a tiny tyrant on the other side of the world may have worked.

Of course, the rest of the world took a step back and started reassessing their ties to the US in light of the fact that a loose canon was in charge. So overall, it's still a losing situation.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Or maybe the new news is a rehashing of old news.

@nktpnd wrote:Waking up to big Korea news, but this is just not true. KCNA quoted Kim Jong-un saying basically this after the July 4th Hwasong-14 test. The cost for denuclearization is the end of the "hostile policy" (and subsequently the alliance).
So, essentially, the argument seems to be that one possible prerequisite for denuclearization would be severing the military ties between South Korea and the USA. Since Trump seems hellbent on severing ties with all American allies, maybe that is a thing that could happen. But I'm not holding my breath. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Good luck on this, Paul Ryan (and I'm only being mildly sarcastic!)

Black Lives Matter.
Rip

Post by Rip »

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... ks/554939/
President Trump has threatened to “totally destroy North Korea,” respond with “fire and fury” to its nuclear weapons, and said “they’re going to be in trouble like few nations ever have been in trouble in this world.” His remarks have caused commentators, including at The Atlantic, to worry that Trump could essentially taunt Kim Jong Un into a war. And then, suddenly, South Korea said Tuesday that the North was open to talks with the U.S., including on renouncing its nuclear weapons program—something Kim Jong Un had never put on the table before. Could that mean that Trump’s blustery rhetoric ... worked?

Not all the words from Washington have been bellicose, of course. Sometimes the administration has managed to seem both threatening and conciliatory on the same day. Trump has warned Kim about the size of his nuclear button. Rex Tillerson, the U.S. secretary of state, has said the U.S. is ready for talks with no conditions. James Mattis, the U.S. defense secretary, has said all options are on the table, which presumably includes war as well as talking. Sometimes the administration has appeared to reverse itself within hours—as when Tillerson said last October that the United States has “three channels open to Pyongyang.” Not long after, Trump tweeted: “I told Rex Tillerson, our wonderful Secretary of State, that he is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man. Save your energy Rex, we’ll do what has to be done!”
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah...no. I mean it is a factor but more likely and reasonable is this view that China and Russia are much bigger influencers here.

In the end, Kim probably has accurately posited that Trump is a scam artist. To paraphrase the theory in the op ed, Kim Jong Un now sees that China has a stable market dictatorship and Russia wants to run a gas pipeline right through them giving him an out from being a hermit kingdom. Rapprochement with security provided economically and militarily from those partnerships is way more likely than the North Koreans actually taking Trump seriously. What is more likely is we'll be packing our bags and leaving SK. That's good in a way but in another way our power is diminished and reputation tarnished as a force of stability. In the end, I expect we'll be seeing much more China and Russia walking all over this rank amateur if this happens as people realize where the center of power has shifted.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

NK's near-term goal is to peel SK away from the US. As long as Trump is calling the shots, Kim can play the reasonable one.
Holman

Post by Holman »

SK and NK also both took the occasion of the Olympics and the negotiations involved to carry on more diplomacy than is usually possible. Whatever is happening, it probably isn't being driven by the US State Department.

For some damn reason we still do not even have an ambassador in South Korea.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The Trump administration on Thursday imposed fresh financial sanctions on Russian government hackers and spy agencies to punish Moscow for interfering in the 2016 presidential election and for a cyberattack against Ukraine and other countries that officials have characterized as “the most destructive and costly” in history.

Sanctions also were imposed on individuals known as “trolls” and Russian organizations that supported them in connection with the election interference.

The administration on Thursday also alerted the public that Russia is targeting the U.S. energy grid with computer malware that could potentially sabotage the systems.

The move seeks to deter Russia from tampering in this year’s midterm elections and is intended to signal that the United States will not allow Russian aggression in cyberspace to go unchallenged.
The sanctions stand in contrast to President Trump’s reluctance to blame the Kremlin for its interference in the 2016 presidential race despite the U.S. intelligence community’s conclusion that Moscow did so.

The action comes on the heels of the United States, France and Germany joining Britain in denouncing Russia for a brazen poison attack that has left a former Russian spy and his daughter comatose in a Salisbury, England, hospital. On Wednesday Britain expelled 23 Russian diplomats in retaliation.
Mnuchin said that his department intends to impose additional sanctions to hold Russian officials and oligarchs “accountable for their destabilizing activities by severing their access to the U.S. financial system.”
Something something barn door...
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Well they can't time travel, so sanctions for past transgressions are perfectly fine with me.

We already knew Russian hackers were targeting the power grid, but thanks for the heads up, as late as it is, anyway.

The administration doesn't get any particular kudos for doing what should be default responses to this behaviour from Russia, but neither does it get criticism, at least from me. Which is actually it's own kind of kudos, considering how much of their actions warrants criticism.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Color me shocked that the administration actually imposed sanctions Russia on something. Or is this a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

neither does it get criticism, at least from me. Which is actually it's own kind of kudos, considering how much of their actions warrants criticism.
This.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Defiant wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:12 pm Color me shocked that the administration actually imposed sanctions Russia on something. Or is this a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing?
I think it's more of a case of "what's the minimum the administration can do to be able to claim that they are tough on Russia".
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:36 pm
Defiant wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:12 pm Color me shocked that the administration actually imposed sanctions Russia on something. Or is this a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing?
I think it's more of a case of "what's the minimum the administration can do to be able to claim that they are tough on Russia".
Have we learned nothing? There is no such minimum for Trump to be able to claim something. :wink:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:36 pm
It's definitely that.

According to Maddow and others I've heard, the new list of sanctions is copy-pasted from the list of indictments issued by Mueller. In other words, we're sanctioning people whom we've already more-or-less sanctioned, or at least who can already expect to have extreme difficulty doing business with Americans.

Mueller's list was very specific and targeted to the social media side of the attacks on our election. It had nothing to do (unless accidentally) with the kind of political assassination the UK is responding to. It really gives the appearance of trying to do something against Russia while actually doing as little as possible, and it's literally the only action Trump has taken against Russia since his inauguration.

Putin probably isn't unduly put out by it (especially as the administration still refuses to implement the earlier mandated sanctions targeting Russian defense-related industries and even Putin indirectly).

I'm sure the UK is very very impressed with our president's steadfast resolve.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Have we threatened Panama yet?
An international arbitration court ruled late Tuesday against the Trump Organization's effort to win back control of a landmark luxury hotel in Panama after it was evicted by the owners earlier this month over allegations of "horrific" mismanagement.

The arbitrator's decision effectively upheld the firing of Trump's hotel staff, the takeover of its bank accounts and physical removal of the Trump name from the hotel, which made headlines on March 5.

It appears to leave the Trump Organization with no other legal recourse except to seek damages for loss of income over the 12 years left on its management contract in Panama, according to the 32-page ruling, details of which were viewed by Univision.

Trump's hotel management company was seeking an emergency court order to restore the status quo at the former Trump International Tower & Hotel in Panama, allowing it to return to running the 70-story mixed use condo hotel with a distinctive sail-like design that dominates Panama City's Pacific coast skyline.

The arbitrator for the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the world’s leading court for settling commercial disputes, found that the management contract had been breached, but wrote: "I cannot conclude that TrumpCo has met the standard ... for allowing a provisional order mandating a reversion to the status quo."

The court's decision represents a major setback for the Trump hotel group after it also lost control of hotels in Canada and New York and raises questions over its legal strategy. Ironically, one of Trump's arbitration attorneys authored a paper outlining the legal precedent for limited legal remedy in breach of contract cases in the hotel industry. Because of the conflict of interest Trump had to find a replacement lawyer at the last minute.
The dispute began as a private legal matter. But between late February and early March the two sides waged a very public battle for physical control over the hotel. Trump's company barricaded itself in the hotel and hired security guards. The owners responded by getting a court order from a Panama judge, and bringing police in tactical gear to evict Trump's staff, all in front of journalists and cameras.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nice canal you got there. Shame if something were to...you know...happen to it. <Cohen puts toothpick back in mouth and walks away>
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

How bad do you have to be to be accused of mismanagement in Panama?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Meh, give Trump's hotel back, or we'll bomb you like we did in '89. Except this time, we will make sure to drop an accidental bomb on the Mossack and Fonseca office building, now that Trump's biz has shown up in the Panama Papers.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
President Trump congratulated Egyptian President Abdel Fatah al-Sissi on his landslide reelection victory, the White House said Monday — an election critics derided as a sham that all but guaranteed al-Sissi a second term in office.

The statement is another signal of the Trump administration’s stated goal to improve relations with Egypt after his predecessor Barack Obama declined to invite Sissi to the White House because of concerns about his human rights record. It comes shortly after Trump faced widespread pushback for congratulating another foreign leader, Russian President Vladimir Putin, who similarly won a race that was broadly criticized as neither free nor fair.

“The two leaders affirmed the strategic partnership between the United States and Egypt, and noted that they look forward to advancing this partnership and addressing common challenges,” the White House said Monday in a statement.

In his bid for a second four-year term, Sissi won with more than 97 percent of the vote in an election that drew about 41 percent turnout, according to the Associated Press. The vote was held from March 26 to 28.

He faced no serious opponent, with all credible challengers pushed out of the race; Lt. Gen. Sami Annan and Col. Ahmed Konsowa, both former military commanders, had been accused of breaking military regulations by announcing their presidential bids, and former prime minister Ahmed Shafik was reportedly intimidated after he had announced his intentions to run for president.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

97%. Great ratings!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

I guess it should not be a concern at all that Trump is essentially building a coalition of un-Democracy right now? Or that it is based on a racist, nationalist ideology with an increasingly closed off economy?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I finally figured out what this whole clusterfuck reminds me of.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Chinese ambassador ensures China will "strike back very soon"
Chinese ambassador to the U.S., Cui Tiankai, criticized what he called protectionism out of the White House.

"Such protectionism will not protect anybody. It will not protect American workers or American farmers," Cui said.
Can someone just please tell Trump that we're "great" now? I'd like to stop all this winning.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Ugh, I don't care how tiny the nation, you should never treat a person the way Trump does the Lithuanian president.

Article
Trump instructed one of his guests, Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite, to praise him on camera, just as he said she had done privately in the Oval Office. She obliged, saying changes to NATO would not be possible without the United States and that its “vital voice and vital leadership” are important.

Trump pressed her: “And has Donald Trump made a difference on NATO?”

Those in the room laughed, as she confirmed he has made a difference. As she continued to speak, Trump cut her off.

“And, again, NATO has taken in billions of dollars more because of me, because I said, ‘You’re delinquent, you’re not paying,’ to many of the countries,” Trump said. “Is that right? Many of the countries weren’t paying.”
This makes me sick and embarrassed for our country.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Fitzy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:39 pm Ugh, I don't care how tiny the nation, you should never treat a person the way Trump does the Lithuanian president.

Article
Trump instructed one of his guests, Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite, to praise him on camera, just as he said she had done privately in the Oval Office. She obliged, saying changes to NATO would not be possible without the United States and that its “vital voice and vital leadership” are important.

Trump pressed her: “And has Donald Trump made a difference on NATO?”

Those in the room laughed, as she confirmed he has made a difference. As she continued to speak, Trump cut her off.

“And, again, NATO has taken in billions of dollars more because of me, because I said, ‘You’re delinquent, you’re not paying,’ to many of the countries,” Trump said. “Is that right? Many of the countries weren’t paying.”
This makes me sick and embarrassed for our country.
He's just trying to emulate his mentor.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I read a couple of major Lithuanian newspapers online, I was curious to see what they wrote about this summit - they mostly praised Dalia Grybauskaite on her excellent English and barely mentioned anything that Trump was saying.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is Twitter a way to communicate foreign policy? In Trump's America it is. This was posted at ~6:30 this morning:
Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and “smart!” You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!
And then almost an hour ago:
Our relationship with Russia is worse now than it has ever been, and that includes the Cold War. There is no reason for this. Russia needs us to help with their economy, something that would be very easy to do, and we need all nations to work together. Stop the arms race?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I thought he just recently told Russia "bring it on, we'll win!" in terms of an arms race?
Hodor.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

From the 30,000' view, the Syria thing looks like a coordinated way for us to show that we're not in cahoots with the Ruskies. You know, over someone else's country.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Rip

Post by Rip »

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Macron throwing Trump some real shade this morning:

Macron sending a message to Trump right now: If the U.S. withdraws from the world, the entire international system collapses.

"If you ask me, I do not share the fascination for new strong powers, the abandonment of freedom, and the illusion of nationalism."
Hodor.