The Trump foreign policy thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by malchior »

Sample size is pretty small so far but the inability to properly use the word nuclear in sentences may be a good indicator of foreign policy incompetence.
We are the two great nuclear powers," Mr. Trump said. "We have 90 percent of the nuclear, and that's not a good thing, it's a bad thing.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

This guy seems stable.

link

Totally normal for an ex-CIA guy (head of the bin Laden unit) to advocate killing fellow citizens that disagree with him.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

malchior wrote:Sample size is pretty small so far but the inability to properly use the word nuclear in sentences may be a good indicator of foreign policy incompetence.
We are the two great nuclear powers," Mr. Trump said. "We have 90 percent of the nuclear, and that's not a good thing, it's a bad thing.
The Leader does not need your liberal vocabulary to get his point across and can say all he needs in a few very, very simple words. "America" "Strong" "Wall" "No collusion"

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
geezer

Post by geezer »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:00 am This guy seems stable.

link

Totally normal for an ex-CIA guy (head of the bin Laden unit) to advocate killing fellow citizens that disagree with him.
:shock: What a total fucking lunatic.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Holman wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:42 pm Trump is now on the way to meet Putin (100% confirmed as having attacked our democratic process and known to have recently assassinated citizens in the country he just left), so naturally he tweets warm congratulations to the winners of the World Cup and to Putin, specifically, for hosting it.

Oh, and he whined about being criticized and called the media "the enemy of the people."
Well, he's got to get the "next steps" order from his master...can't very well do that with the nosy liberal fake news always around. With a one on one, and no others in the room, they can both speak plainly.

Somebody hasn't seen The Last Jedi
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

link

He's gotta blow off steam *somehow*. He hasn't waterboarded anyone in years.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

geezer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:06 am

link

All I see is a run-of-the-mill 2nd amendment advocate just speaking his mind. In a world without consequences (unless non-white) what is the problem with a little sedition anyway?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

“Thug-civil-servants”

That’s not a hyphenation you see every day.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Interesting takes on some side effects from Trump's Iran policy. Also I would factor in is his trade policy and NATO concerns into this mix. Trump's Presidency will almost certainly be seen as a major dividing line with the Cold War and "American Empire" sandwiched between. The fact that "American Empire" survived a mere ~30 years from the end of the Cold War with no real competitors on the board ahead of us but eventual Chinese ascendancy is going to be analyzed for centuries.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There were lessons to be learned about coming out on top in the Cold War. But those that came to power after were too busy learning the wrong ones to prevent us from squandering it.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The one-on-one meeting with Putin is appalling.

Trump's team is claiming that he didn't want "leaks." But this means we have no independent record of the discussion except the interpreters--and it is a 99.9% certainty that Putin recorded everything, meaning they can selectively release it or even doctor it as they see fit.

Does anyone know who Trump's interpreter would be? Would it be someone from State?

Hopefully they're being debriefed by Mueller and the FBI and the CIA right damn now. And I really wouldn't mind hearing that NATO intelligence agencies had microphones all over the room.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

They were having a private screening of the Pee Tape. No interpretation needed.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:06 am The one-on-one meeting with Putin is appalling.
The first one was appalling. We're now up to #3 and apparently at this point, it's normal.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

In the press conference, Putin just praised cooperation between the US and Russia on "cyber security."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It is awful nice of us to provide a sophisticated test environment. There's only so much to be learned from Ukraine.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Holman wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:19 am In the press conference, Putin just praised cooperation between the US and Russia on "cyber security."
And in his comments, Trump did nothing to condemn Russian interference. All he said was that they talked about it a lot, and "He [Putin] feels very strongly about it, and he has an interesting idea".

:roll:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Captain Caveman wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:31 am And in his comments, Trump did nothing to condemn Russian interference.
Ahem
El Presidente wrote:Our relationship with Russia has NEVER been worse thanks to many years of U.S. foolishness and stupidity and now, the Rigged Witch Hunt!
He's condemned it plenty, as a Rigged Witch Hunt! He just condemning the FBI for investigating, not the hackers they're indicting.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

omg - Trump is going on and on about how he won the election fare-n-square!! And No Collusion. LOLS -

Thaaat's going to be a nice sound-bite.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The cyber security discussion went something like this I guess. "So here is my idea. This will be good for you and me. You will re-organize your nation's cyber defenses. This will give us a gap to attack and cause a calamity. We'll work it so that you will blame it on the Chinese as tariff retaliations. Then you will seize emergency powers so you can release my FUCKING MONEY. GIVE ME MY FUCKING MONEY. Ok? Otherwise - you know what happens..."
Last edited by malchior on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Caveman

And now when asked by a reporter what Russia has done to harm US-Russia relations, Trump doesn't mention Russian interference but instead attacks the Mueller probe and brags about how easily he beat Hillary Clinton.

Reporter then follows up by explicitly asking about interference, and Trump says it's an excuse by Democrats for why they lost the election. He cites his electoral votes. Then ends by saying "no collusion" a bunch of times, and blames people for "telling stories".

Unfreaking real.

Last edited by Captain Caveman on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Disgusting. You know the GOP has to be huddled up right now deciding how they are going to get away with ignoring this complete and utter travesty. It's been real nice guys. Too bad we had to live through the end of a nation.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

geezer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:06 am

link

If you haven't sen The Looming Tower, I highly recommend it. Peter Saarskgard's character is based on this guy, who may be the American most responsible for the 9/11 attacks happening.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Captain Caveman

What a clusterfuck.
Captain Caveman

Holy shit. Another reporter asks him if he wants to denounce Russian interference and he starts by attacking bias in the intelligence committee and "what happened to the server? what happened to Hillary Clinton's emails?"

THIS IS INSANE.

"Putin was very strong in his denial"

Captain Caveman

Watch:

Last edited by Captain Caveman on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Looks like I have a lot to catch up on in this thread, but...

Never mind I see someone else posted this.
Last edited by Defiant on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:19 am In the press conference, Putin just praised cooperation between the US and Russia on "cyber security."
Heh, if I were Putin I would be praising the cooperation of my faithful lapdog too.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:37 am The cyber security discussion went something like this I guess. "So here is my idea. This will be good for you and me. You will re-organize your nation's cyber defenses. This will give us a gap to attack and cause a calamity. We'll work it so that you will blame it on the Chinese as tariff retaliations. Then you will seize emergency powers so you can release my FUCKING MONEY. GIVE ME MY FUCKING MONEY. Ok? Otherwise - you know what happens..."
You forgot the "special deal" on Russian security products (e.g. Kaspersky and voting machine operating systems).
Last edited by Pyperkub on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Captain Caveman

Putin asked about the pee tape!

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:40 am Disgusting. You know the GOP has to be huddled up right now deciding how they are going to get away with ignoring this complete and utter travesty. It's been real nice guys. Too bad we had to live through the end of a nation.
It's only the end of the Republic. There will still be a nation on this continent, it will still be called the USA, it will preserve all the same symbols and hymns, and it will adhere to the structure spelled out in the Constitution. As long as election kabuki continues, most citizens won't even notice that it's a hollow structure run by a dictator to benefit oligarchs.

I am assured that this process can be delayed if the promised blue wave of November doesn't turn into an easily contained blue ripple.
Captain Caveman

malchior

Post by malchior »

That thing was off the walls crazy. It's over.

About the pee tape - I didn't catch who asked it. I wonder if that was a Russian plant because it was a great opportunity for Putin to play around. Putin used it as an opportunity to sow discord and unrest. Even if the material doesn't exist he wants people to know it could but also intimate that he didn't directly order it for plausible deniability. The master at work!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Republican Patriots: Where are you???
Doomsday prepping to support the Federal Gov't much like they were to protecting against its over reach until 2016. I kid you not. Take a look at APIII crap sometime. I made the mistake for reading the comments, Ray and APIII kept showing up, so I started reading and, well, *sigh*.
Captain Caveman

malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Can anyone think of a more disastrous press conference in the history of the Presidency? I can't even come close. That was an above all else epic failure for the ages. Portions of it will be in documentaries for the rest of our lives. The only question will it be shown as truth - deeply shameful and treasonous or false - the beginning of the great alliance.

Edit: I'm raging right now - Trump was specifically asked a masterful question by a reporter about the indictments. And Trump didn't just deflect. He fucking undermined the facts of a filed indictment next to the guy who 100% ordered an attack on our election. That is treason.
Last edited by malchior on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Caveman

People, and especially the media, need to get beyond these "he missed an opportunity to call out Russia!" takes, or explain it away by claiming he doesn't want his election victory undermined. It's so obvious he's working in cahoots with Putin and Russia. He's a willing partner here, and always has been.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Captain Caveman wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:41 pm People, and especially the media, need to get beyond these "he missed an opportunity to call out Russia!" takes, or explain it away by claiming he doesn't want his election victory undermined. It's so obvious he's working in cahoots with Putin and Russia. He's a willing partner here, and always has been.
FWIW - the media I've seen is calling it out. Directly. Several outfits are literally saying it was a disaster already. John King said it was the worst thing he saw in his 30 years covering Washington. #NeverTrump Conservatives are losing their minds right now.
Captain Caveman

Yeah, we'll see if it lasts. The media has the moments of collective outrage-- see Charlottesville-- but quickly snap back to their usual neutral stance of treating him like he's any other normal president.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The print outlets are obviously behind but Sargent at WaPo already posted a piece to talk about it. I expect the Editorial page at WaPO and the NY Times to respond tomorrow. And probably dozens of papers on top I imagine. If not, today for some.