The Trump foreign policy thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by Max Peck »

RunningMn9 wrote:But when you are firing that far, that's an awful lot of propellant you are igniting in the tube - even with a RAP round. That's gotta be impressive to watch fire.
Kim seems to think so.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

They've been building up for decades towards making the first hours of the war something close to a decapitation. Even if they can't cripple military and political leadership immediately, the economic destruction and civilian displacement would be catastrophic for SK and terrible for countries connected to it.

NK would lose the war, but even beyond the awful human cost, they would take the Pacific economy down with them.

Obviously I'm assuming the threat is as serious as the Pentagon seems to think it is. Is there any serious argument out there that NK is a paper tiger?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

And NK's missile test seems to have failed miserably.

Hopefully that's the the side door we need to avoid further escalation.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote:And NK's missile test seems to have failed miserably.

Hopefully that's the the side door we need to avoid further escalation.
More likely Trump will escalate with public humiliation. Snarky tweet in 3...2...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Real shame you cant just take out gworious well fwed widdle weader and his top smilers and be done with them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm looking forward to Amazon updating their recommendation algorithms to address this report:
Jared Kushner found a White House economic advisor by browsing Amazon, Vanity Fair reported Saturday.

Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser, was asked by Trump to do research on China, and turned to Amazon, the report said.

There, he found a book co-written by Peter Navarro and was struck by its title, "Death by China."

Kushner then cold-called Navarro and invited him to be an adviser to the Trump campaign, according to the report. Navarro now directs the White House National Trade Council and serves as the Assistant to the President.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm looking forward to Amazon updating their recommendation algorithms to address this report:
Jared Kushner found a White House economic advisor by browsing Amazon, Vanity Fair reported Saturday.

Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser, was asked by Trump to do research on China, and turned to Amazon, the report said.

There, he found a book co-written by Peter Navarro and was struck by its title, "Death by China."

Kushner then cold-called Navarro and invited him to be an adviser to the Trump campaign, according to the report. Navarro now directs the White House National Trade Council and serves as the Assistant to the President.
Coming soon to Amazon...the Amazon Political Advisor section. We can supply both food and a political advisor for that policy meeting or emergency meeting in the situation room!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

"Alexa, should we invade North Korea?"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daveman wrote:"Alexa, should we invade North Korea?"
Alexa, which direction is north?

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

He could ask Ivanka. Despite her hazily-defined role, she's about to make an official visit to Germany because Trump hasn't nominated a Deputy Secretary of State.

People have begun to point out how Trump's disinclination to appoint actual diplomats greatly increases the power and influence of the family members who are filling in for them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, here we go.
President Trump has determined a course of action for responding to North Korea's continued nuclear missile development program, a senior administration official told reporters Wednesday, with U.S. military preparations "underway" for potential action.

"What the president has done is he's made a decision for us to pursue a certain course," the official told reporters in the White House briefing room, "and that course obviously has a number of options associated with it depending on how the situation develops in the future.

Asked by a reporter to clarify what preparations are underway, the official declined to provide more information, saying, "I don't think we're going to describe those in any detail."
Based on the level of approval for the last two decisions, I'm going to guess missiles and Twitter are involved.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He must have watched the remake of Red Dawn last night...
He won. Period.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Smoove_B wrote:Well, here we go.
President Trump has determined a course of action for responding to North Korea's continued nuclear missile development program, a senior administration official told reporters Wednesday, with U.S. military preparations "underway" for potential action.

"What the president has done is he's made a decision for us to pursue a certain course," the official told reporters in the White House briefing room, "and that course obviously has a number of options associated with it depending on how the situation develops in the future.

Asked by a reporter to clarify what preparations are underway, the official declined to provide more information, saying, "I don't think we're going to describe those in any detail."
Based on the level of approval for the last two decisions, I'm going to guess missiles and Twitter are involved.
This feels for all the world like the run-up to Iraq to me, only faster, stupider and even less well considered. No matter what NK does or doesn't do, we're in for an ever-escalating barrage of scary talk from Trump, ended with a declaration that NK has been given every opportunity to cooperate and now we're in immediate and mortal danger. Then while half the world looks around going, "WTF" the Korean Peninsula becomes one giant war zone that may or may not expand to kill all of us.
Holman

Post by Holman »

This is like Iraq if Iraq had all-but-overlapped Israel with nukes, nerve gas, thousands of artillery pieces pointed directly at Tel Aviv, the world's largest refugee crisis just waiting to happen, China as an enigmatic protector, and not one drop of oil.

The comparison falls apart, though, because Saddam Hussein was still a rational actor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Maybe rest a little easier? Trump's senate field trip NK briefing had nothing.
And one unnamed Republican senator told the Washington Post that senators did not get “straight answers on what the policy is regarding North Korea” during the briefing.

“Several senators asked specifically, ‘What is the policy?’ and the briefers gave us very, very few details,” the senator said.

“There was very little, if anything new,” Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) told the Washington Post. “I remain mystified about why the entire Senate had to be taken over to the White House rather than conducting it here.”
I've seen other reports that Trump himself was present at the briefing for less than 15 minutes.

No mention of Jared attending.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's a classic power move -- the Senate comes to the Emperor, the Emperor does not go to the Senate.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump: 95 percent appearance, 5 percent substance.

(I'm feeling generous)
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

"ridiculous adjective" bit?

That is fantastic.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Holman wrote:This is like Iraq if Iraq had all-but-overlapped Israel with nukes, nerve gas, thousands of artillery pieces pointed directly at Tel Aviv, the world's largest refugee crisis just waiting to happen, China as an enigmatic protector, and not one drop of oil.

The comparison falls apart, though, because Saddam Hussein was still a rational actor.
To be clear, I'm not suggesting that NK and Iraq are analogous - NK is clearly a more serious threat - but rather that the escalation of propaganda feels similar to me.
Holman

Post by Holman »

geezer wrote:
Holman wrote:This is like Iraq if Iraq had all-but-overlapped Israel with nukes, nerve gas, thousands of artillery pieces pointed directly at Tel Aviv, the world's largest refugee crisis just waiting to happen, China as an enigmatic protector, and not one drop of oil.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that NK and Iraq are analogous - NK is clearly a more serious threat - but rather that the escalation of propaganda feels similar to me.
Oh, I know. I'm just pointing out the folly of Trump believing he can follow the old Regime Change script.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Max Peck wrote:It's a classic power move -- the Senate comes to the Emperor, the Emperor does not go to the Senate.
This was my assumption/take from the very beginning. It was all about dominance.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is bizarre though because he wants these people to work with him and displays like this alienate them when they are pointless. He continues to show he is truly a master negotiator.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

malchior wrote:It is bizarre though because he wants these people to work with him and displays like this alienate them when they are pointless. He continues to show he is truly a master negotiator.
I disagree. I think that it would be more appropriate to say "to work for him". I think that he thought he'd be a CEO (<cough>dictator</cough>). He expects people to just do what he says.

He clearly had zero understanding of how the ... well, everything, really... works.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

TheMix wrote:He clearly had zero understanding of how the ... well, everything, really... works.
Yup. He wanted to come in and run the government like a business, because that's all he has experience with. Since he wants to do it his way, that's what he's doing. He delegates off everything he can and expects all of his "employees" in the government to work for him since he's THE PRESIDENT, dammit. When they don't, it's epic hissy-fit time.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So what are the chances he's going to totally crack and make some insane statements?
For his part, Mr. Trump, a confirmed homebody, has expressed dread about the trip, asking aides whether it can be shortened to five days from nine. His advisers concede that the intense schedule — dozens of interactions with leaders from the Middle East and Europe, over a range of delicate issues — could produce unscripted, diplomatically perilous moments.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

A source close to the Whitehouse said that aides have also planned a regimen of tranquilizers and stimulants, designed to keep the President alert enough to smile for cameras, but unable to articulate well enough to offend anyone. Dr. Fareed Matoes will be on hand to ensure the dosages are regulated properly throughout the trip.
Black Lives Matter

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote:So what are the chances he's going to totally crack and make some insane statements?
For his part, Mr. Trump, a confirmed homebody, has expressed dread about the trip, asking aides whether it can be shortened to five days from nine. His advisers concede that the intense schedule — dozens of interactions with leaders from the Middle East and Europe, over a range of delicate issues — could produce unscripted, diplomatically perilous moments.
Here's the thing. These trips aren't just meet and greets and photo ops. Substantive discussions of issues and policies occur between heads of state. Things that Trump is obviously ignorant of and which he has shown no interest in understanding. Can you imagine Trump getting into a discussion regarding possible solutions to the Israeli-Palestinian issue? "Who knew peace could be so hard?" Or discussing a coordinated effort with our ME allies on how to contain Iranian influence? Or discussing with our NATO partners what to do about Russia? "Why can't we just be friends?" He's totally out of his depth in this (as in most areas of governing), but he won't be on home soil, it's going to be a very rigorous trip, and he's totally inadequate to the task. God save the United States!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

India and Pakistan are jockeying to meet Trump last, thus ensuring U.S. war on the other one.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Given Trump's penchant for playing to his audience, I'd be worried if I was Israel about Trump's visit to Saudi Arabia.

"Look - no one's better at wiping the Zionist Entity off the face of the Earth than Donald Trump - everyone's saying it."
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apparently the idiot in chief has already offended Israel by cancelling a visit to Masada because they wouldn't let him land his helicopter on top of an ancient fortress.

He's his own worst enemy,
He won. Period.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hepcat wrote:Apparently the idiot in chief has already offended Israel by cancelling a visit to Masada because they wouldn't let him land his helicopter on top of an ancient fortress.

He's his own worst enemy,
Don't underestimate how badly this is playing in Israel, either. Despite his hawkish rhetoric (which has actually been, like everything else about his presidency, wildly vacillating), Irael is turning against him, as reported here:

TRUMP CANCELS VISIT TO ANCIENT MASADA SITE AFTER ISRAEL REFUSES HELICOPTER LANDING
Unlike former presidents who have made the trip, such as George W. Bush and Bill Clinton, Trump declined to land the helicopter at a base of the historic site and then take the cable car up, preferring to cancel the visit altogether.

Masada, a UNESCO World Heritage site that the cultural agency calls a creation of “majestic beauty,” is built upon a mountain overlooking the shores of the Dead Sea in southern Israel’s Judean desert, some 60 miles southeast of Jerusalem. It is one of the country’s archaeological wonders.

Martin Indyk, former U.S. ambassador to Israel, tweeted that a raft of decisions on the Trump administration in regard to the visit has “soured” Israel’s mood. As well as the Masada cancellation, Trump will only spend 15 minutes at the national Holocaust memorial Yad Vashem, a move likely to offend the Israelis.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hepcat wrote:Apparently the idiot in chief has already offended Israel by cancelling a visit to Masada because they wouldn't let him land his helicopter on top of an ancient fortress.

He's our worst enemy,
FTFY
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Art of the "Deal".
Holman

Post by Holman »

A bright toddler is easier to manage.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Basically: Smile and nod. Wait for a real president in a few years.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From that article:
As well as the Masada cancellation, Trump will only spend 15 minutes at the national Holocaust memorial Yad Vashem, a move likely to offend the Israelis.
And 10 of those minutes will be spent trying to find gift shop to get the perfect coffee mug to give to Mike Pence.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

With the remaining 5 minutes complaining loudly about how he's being persecuted and dehumanized more than anyone else in history.
Black Lives Matter

Holman

Post by Holman »

Don't forget the time spent tweeting that Holocaust was a terrific miniseries that got ratings almost as high as The Apprentice.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Believe me, I know persecution, it should end.

I just made that up or am I prescient?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump: "We need a Final Solution to the Middle East problem. Have you heard that expression before, for this particular type of an event?"