The Trump foreign policy thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Remus West

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by Remus West »

malchior wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:18 pm Wut? He was a murderous thug authoritarian who broke his nation's economy and politics.

Tweet no longer there. Screen shot?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Holman

Post by Holman »

Remus West wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:19 am Tweet no longer there. Screen shot?
Found a pic.

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Independence from Civilization?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Who is in charge of that twitter account? I think they are likely in line for a big promotion from t"I love brutal dictators"Rump.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:34 am Independence from Civilization?
From white minority rule.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Our Supreme Leader at work deluding himself:
4) Trump national security staff though the idea of Taliban at Camp David on 9/11 quite crazy - so Trump cut them out of process, ran it himself with a coterie of especially abject inner aides. Only ...
5) The Taliban representatives insisted on signature first, visit to America only later. There was in fact no deal, Trump's Nobel fantasy began to drift out of reach ...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Early Monday afternoon, acting Customs and Border Protection head Mark Morgan offered some peace of mind to Bahamians seeking humanitarian relief in the United States after Hurricane Dorian, following the news that some were turned away for not having visas.

“This is a humanitarian mission,” Morgan said. “If your life is in jeopardy and you’re in the Bahamas … you’re going to be allowed to come to the United States, whether you have travel documents or not.” He said the processing would be handled expeditiously.

Then President Trump offered a very different message. In a later Q&A with reporters, Trump emphasized that “bad people” could exploit the process and warned against welcoming Bahamians.

“We have to be very careful,” Trump said. “Everybody needs totally proper documentation. Because, look, the Bahamas had some tremendous problems with people going to the Bahamas that weren’t supposed to be there.”

(While he did not specify who those people are, a number of Haitian immigrants live in some of the communities hit by the hurricane.)

The president added, “I don’t want to allow people that weren’t supposed to be in the Bahamas to come into the United States — including some very bad people and very bad gang members.”

So, shortly after Morgan said people didn’t need to have documents, Trump said they did. And shortly after Morgan emphasized a quick process, Trump suggested it would need to be very thorough.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Fortunately Trump has devised an expedited review process to address this situation:

Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

trump thinks giving Iran $15 billion is a good idea

The political gymnastics that the right will put themselves through to justify this will be epic.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

GungHo wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:10 pm trump thinks giving Iran $15 billion is a good idea

The political gymnastics that the right will put themselves through to justify this will be epic.
And yet somehow thought that Obama giving them back their money as part of the nuclear deal wasn't. At least Obama's money wasn't taxpayer money, and was in conjunction with our actual allies.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:52 pm
GungHo wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:10 pm trump thinks giving Iran $15 billion is a good idea

And yet somehow thought that Obama giving them back their money as part of the nuclear deal wasn't. At least Obama's money wasn't taxpayer money, and was in conjunction with our actual allies.
No, one of their ministers made fun of Bolton after he left.

Trump is as simple as that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:53 pm Tit for tat continues.
That in turn followed new US sanctions on Russia over Crimea and alleged election interference, which led to the expulsion of 35 Russian diplomats.

President Barack Obama had ordered those expulsions, along with the closure of two compounds, last December.
Yahoo News
The Obama administration’s public rationale for the expulsions and closures — the harshest U.S. diplomatic reprisals taken against Russia in several decades — was to retaliate for Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election. But there was another critical, and secret, reason why those locations and diplomats were targeted.

Both compounds, and at least some of the expelled diplomats, played key roles in a brazen Russian counterintelligence operation that stretched from the Bay Area to the heart of the nation’s capital, according to former U.S. officials. The operation, which targeted FBI communications, hampered the bureau’s ability to track Russian spies on U.S. soil at a time of increasing tension with Moscow, forced the FBI and CIA to cease contact with some of their Russian assets, and prompted tighter security procedures at key U.S. national security facilities in the Washington area and elsewhere, according to former U.S. officials. It even raised concerns among some U.S. officials about a Russian mole within the U.S. intelligence community.

American officials discovered that the Russians had dramatically improved their ability to decrypt certain types of secure communications and had successfully tracked devices used by elite FBI surveillance teams. Officials also feared that the Russians may have devised other ways to monitor U.S. intelligence communications, including hacking into computers not connected to the internet. Senior FBI and CIA officials briefed congressional leaders on these issues as part of a wide-ranging examination on Capitol Hill of U.S. counterintelligence vulnerabilities.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trump is locked and loaded and limp as a soggy biscuit. The guy is a liar.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
President Trump leveled one of his harshest critiques of globalism on Tuesday at the U.N. General Assembly, promoting the “America First” approach that has defined his presidency on issues of defense, trade and immigration before a body built on multilateral cooperation.

Trump read the address in a somber monotone, rarely punctuating words or pausing for emphasis, but his message for the 74th session of the annual gathering of world leaders was clear.

“The future does not belong to globalists,” Trump said. “The future belongs to patriots.”

He argued that a globalist worldview had “exerted a religious pull over past leaders, causing them to ignore their own national interests,” and called on other nations to “embrace its national foundations.”
“If you want freedom, take pride in your country,” he said. “If you want democracy, hold on to your sovereignty. If you want peace, love your nation.”
Most emblematic of his approach on trade, Trump said, was with China, with which the United States has been embroiled in an escalating trade war.

China, Trump said, has “embraced an economic model dependent on massive market barriers, heavy state subsidies, currency manipulation, product dumping … and a theft of intellectual property.” Trump called for an overhaul of the World Trade Organization, arguing that China should not be able to “game the system at others’ expense” through it.

“I will not accept a bad deal for the American people,” Trump said.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Nationalism!

Except for other nations when it negatively impacts US economic interests.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trump also emphasized his desire to limit the United States engagement around the world militarily.

“The United States does not seek conflict with any other nation,” he said during his 37-minute address. “We desire peace, cooperation, and mutual gain with all. But I will never fail to defend America’s interests.”
He also took a hard line against Iran, arguing that the governing regime was “squandering the nation’s health” and vowed to “stop Iran’s path toward nuclear weapons.”

“All nations have a duty to act. No responsible government should subsidize Iran’s blood lust,” Trump said. “As long as Iran’s menacing behavior continues, sanctions will not be lifted. They will be tightened. Iran’s leaders will have turned a proud nation into just another precautionary tale of what happens when a ruling class abandons its people and embarks on a crusade for personal power riches.”
Holman

Post by Holman »

That speech was so limply delivered Trump didn't even try to go off-script. He just wasn't there for it. You could watch his eyes getting more and more tired as he tracked the teleprompter.

By the end, weirdly, he was covered in a sheen of sweat. It's almost like he was preoccupied with an exposed scandal or something.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump poises to abandon the Kurds..again. America has not been kind to these people. We should be ashamed but we are probably beyond shame.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That news story is great, but I think the real story is from the official statement released by the White House:

I guess his administration is at the point where he's just being quoted directly for foreign policy matters because there's no one left to translate his inane ramblings into something that doesn't sound like a 3rd grader worked on it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:00 am

I guess his administration is at the point where he's just being quoted directly for foreign policy matters because there's no one left to translate his inane ramblings into something that doesn't sound like a 3rd grader worked on it.
There are dozens of people with intern-level qualifications that worked on that.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is also a holy shit moment when you realize Turkey muscled our President out of the way to attack our ally. We've burned the Kurds before but this may be one of the weakest stances ever taken by an American President. A minor power quasi-ally asked us to betray a steadfast ally in what appears to be crooked circumstances. Yeah - that isn't going to be forgotten anytime soon.
Holman

Post by Holman »

News is that the Pentagon has been completely blindsided by this development. No planning, no consultation.

Does this originate with a foreign phone call, a Fox pundit's complaint, or just Trump suddenly flailing to get hold of a news cycle?

Nice that he manages to blame our unilateral abandonment of Kurdish allies on Europe, though. That's the kind of Trumpian flourish that Putin appreciates.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hmm, will the announcement that Turkey will buy some Patriot missile batteries come in the near future? Trump is rather transactional and he can be all about bringing Turkish cash to American defense contractors. I shouldn't be surprised that sanctions haven't been applied yet due to their purchase of a Russian air defense system. Then again, who benefits from such a purchase and a weakening of a US ally in Syria. Hmmm....

He's moved on from ISIS and has no clue or most likely just not interested in the the value of maintaining a relationship with the Kurds to counterbalance ISIS, Syria, Iran and Russia in the region.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Here you go: actual footage of U.S. forces abandoning an ally who has fought for us and alongside us.

God bless America.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:23 pm It is a little weird to see you guys jump in on my Turkey hating.

Kurds have always been good friends to us but we always take Turkey's side because they are bigger and more powerful.
Rip wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:23 pm It is a little weird to see you guys jump in on my Turkey hating.

Kurds have always been good friends to us but we always take Turkey's side because they are bigger and more powerful.
Somewhere out there, his Rip sense tingling, our old friend realizes he made a huuuuge mistake.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And at the same time, he's on Twitter posturing over American military might. He's an absolute shit-weasel.

Turkey, Europe, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Russia and the Kurds will now have to.....

...figure the situation out, and what they want to do with the captured ISIS fighters in their “neighborhood.” They all hate ISIS, have been enemies for years. We are 7000 miles away and will crush ISIS again if they come anywhere near us!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The announcement came after a phone call with Erdogan. I wonder if Biden was brought up..... :think:
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if anyone but Trump came up.
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

"Great and unmatched wisdom"

Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

What the everliving fuck?

"Great and unmatched wisdom"?

Always good to see the president threatening to "totally destroy and obliterate" the economy of a putative ally for doing what he just told them they could do, but when exactly has he "done it before"?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

"A...if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). "

He's gone from Bond villain to pulp villain!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

CNN:
Sen. Lindsey Graham, one of President Donald Trump's strongest Republican defenders in Congress, blasted Trump Monday over his decision to remove US troops from northern Syria as Turkey plans a military offensive in the region, saying it was "shortsighted and irresponsible."

"This impulsive decision by the President has undone all the gains we've made, thrown the region into further chaos. Iran is licking their chops. And if I'm an ISIS fighter I've got a second lease on life. So to those who think ISIS has been defeated you will soon see," Graham said during an interview on Fox News' "Fox and Friends."

"I hope I'm making myself clear how shortsighted and irresponsible this decision is in my view," the South Carolina Republican added.
Now Lindsey Graham grows a spine?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Pardon my ignorance here, but why does a Senator from South Carolina have a vocal interest in what's going on in Syria? Is this a hot button issue in South Carolina and I just don't understand something as a NJ resident? To be clear, it's absolutely a BFD, but I'm confused at his sudden concern (for this). Does he serve on some committee I'm not connecting to this?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Graham isn't alone.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

He's chairman of the United States Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs, if that makes a difference. He was also an Air Force Reserve colonel. And, from what I remember, he's been fairly vocal on foreign policy in the past.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:31 pm Pardon my ignorance here, but why does a Senator from South Carolina have a vocal interest in what's going on in Syria? Is this a hot button issue in South Carolina and I just don't understand something as a NJ resident? To be clear, it's absolutely a BFD, but I'm confused at his sudden concern (for this). Does he serve on some committee I'm not connecting to this?
I'm not sure which you're aware of, so here's the full list.
Graham, Lindsey (R-SC)
  • Graham, Lindsey (R-SC)
    Committee on Appropriations
  • Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
  • Subcommittee on Department of Defense
  • Subcommittee on Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
  • Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development
  • Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs (Chairman)
  • Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies

Committee on Foreign Relations
  • Subcommittee on Africa and Global Health Policy (Chairman)
  • Subcommittee on Multilateral International Development, Multilateral Institutions, and International Economic, Energy, and Environmental Policy
  • Subcommittee on Near East, South Asia, Central Asia, and Counterterrorism

Committee on the Budget

Committee on the Judiciary (Chairman)
  • Subcommittee on Border Security and Immigration
  • Subcommittee on Crime and Terrorism
  • Subcommittee on Intellectual Property
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, it was a genuine question. I guess I've associated him with being Trump's toadie for so long now I was completely confused at his stance on this. I guess I kinda figured there were more pressing domestic issues he had a problem with. Apparently not.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

In my great and unmatched wisdom, I'm going to go make a ham sandwich for lunch.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.