The Trump foreign policy thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

PLW

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by PLW »

If I were the intelligence community I would give Pence the Presidential briefing and limit Trump's knowledge of specifics to the greatest extent possible.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Rip

Post by Rip »

There are always at least two submarines in that zone. Any moron would know that we have had two or more subs there since WW2.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

That's some nice justifying right there.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

OUR WORDS ARE BACKED WITH NUCLEAR WEAPONS!
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Chaz wrote:That's some nice justifying right there.
No, Rip isn't justifying anything -- he's just leaking classified information from his Navy days. It's very presidential of him. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rip

Post by Rip »

Geez is anyone surprised that the US maintains submarines on patrol of the coast of Russia and China?

Come on people now you are just being obtuse.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:Geez is anyone surprised that the US maintains submarines on patrol of the coast of Russia and China?

Come on people now you are just being obtuse.
It has to be tough to maintain the level of hypocrisy that you've had to since Trump won. :lol:
He won. Period.
Rip

Post by Rip »

It is nearly impossible to give away the location of a modern submarine to the point of putting it in danger. The only people that know exactly where it is are all onboard. The most anyone else knows is what operating area it is in. Each operating area covers thousands of square miles. Nothing but a red herring.

On the bright side it gives the contrarians something to muse over rather than worrying about something that may actually be a problem. So knock yourselves out. At the end of the day no one who is involved in operating those subs gives two shits about who Trump tells "there be subs lurking off the Korean coast".
Enough

Post by Enough »

Rip wrote:It is nearly impossible to give away the location of a modern submarine to the point of putting it in danger. The only people that know exactly where it is are all onboard. The most anyone else knows is what operating area it is in. Each operating area covers thousands of square miles. Nothing but a red herring.

On the bright side it gives the contrarians something to muse over rather than worrying about something that may actually be a problem. So knock yourselves out. At the end of the day no one who is involved in operating those subs gives two shits about who Trump tells "there be subs lurking off the Korean coast".
So far you are doing nothing but deflecting when it comes to real problems with the Trump admin.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Holman

Post by Holman »

The particular fact of two subs (rather than one or none or eight) isn't the point.

Have you read the transcript? It's Trump's bragging and need to impress that matters. It's the same deep, needy, dangerous character flaw that led Trump to betray the Israelis and damage the war against ISIS just so he could impress the Russians Putin told him to entertain.

The bigger issue with this transcript, though, is the praise of Duterte's violence. It's absurd, clueless, frightening, and telling all at once.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's fun to watch Rip justify things Trump does that he railed against Obama for. I almost feel bad for the poor guy. He's really working overtime these days.
He won. Period.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Holman wrote:The particular fact of two subs (rather than one or none or eight) isn't the point.

Have you read the transcript? It's Trump's bragging and need to impress that matters. It's the same deep, needy, dangerous character flaw that led Trump to betray the Israelis and damage the war against ISIS just so he could impress the Russians Putin told him to entertain.

The bigger issue with this transcript, though, is the praise of Duterte's violence. It's absurd, clueless, frightening, and telling all at once.
I started a detailed response like this and just said nah. Nice job.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rip

Post by Rip »

Holman wrote:The particular fact of two subs (rather than one or none or eight) isn't the point.

I know it isn't the point. That is why I chose to argue about that rather than about the point because the point is nothing more than bitching about water being wet. Of course Trump is a long winded braggart who doesn't have a clue whether what he is tossing out there is fact or just something some dude in a uniform told him on the way to the bathroom.

I will still take a POTUS who is touched over one who is evil, ALL DAY LONG.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rip wrote:I will still take a POTUS who is touched over one who is evil, ALL DAY LONG.
If you weren't a right-winger you'd have more choices.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:I will still take a POTUS who is touched over one who is evil, ALL DAY LONG.
Luckily, you got both. #YGG

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:
You've officially become a parody. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, get back to your Wikileaks conspiracy stuff. Hannity needs you!
He won. Period.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Rip wrote:
You're funny. :)

Have you seen the president's budget? It might as well be titled "Destroying the lives of the little people to increase the wealth of the .1%" Subtitled "Muahhahahahaha!" And with a picture of a mustachioed villain tying Lady Liberty to some train tracks.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

And totally no one cares. Well, except the Pentagon. They cared.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Rip wrote: I will still take a POTUS who is touched over one who is evil, ALL DAY LONG.
How quaint.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hepcat wrote:
Rip wrote:
You've officially become a parody. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, get back to your Wikileaks conspiracy stuff. Hannity needs you!
Are you sure he hasn't officially become a caricature? I thought he was already a parody. I can't keep up.
Holman

Post by Holman »

link
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Me too. Where are we going with this? Trying to examine if Trump is crazy or evil? I don't think he's the former, though he is taking on or appealing to a touch of senility. I think a case can be made that he's either dupe or he's evil and I can't tell which. It's hard to accept the later, which is why we all go with former. I mean McConnell and Ryan? There's overt evil for ya.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Can "we" please stop pretending this President and his administration is not a threat to National security? This is a disgrace. Our best partner - by a million miles can't trust us any longer with confidential data. We generally work off the same data! I can't wrap my mind around the fact that there aren't people hanging off the emergency alarms. I actually hope they are doing so behind the scenes because we are in big trouble otherwise.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Did he really pull "But her emails" again?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote:
Me too. Where are we going with this? Trying to examine if Trump is crazy or evil? I don't think he's the former, though he is taking on or appealing to a touch of senility. I think a case can be made that he's either dupe or he's evil and I can't tell which. It's hard to accept the later, which is why we all go with former. I mean McConnell and Ryan? There's overt evil for ya.
Pssst...he was in full drama queen mode and insinuating Hillary and/or Obama are evil.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump foreign policy disaster - he was expected to endorse Article 5 in his speech but didn't. This has to be seen as a deliberate move by the White House.

Macron literally covered his face during the speech to probably make an otherwise unprintable remark.
Enough

Post by Enough »

And Trump yet again shows his true colors at the meeting trying to do his version of the Johnson treatment,
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/8 ... 3188221952

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, there had been talk of pie.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Pssst...he was in full drama queen mode and insinuating Hillary and/or Obama are evil.
True, but at least he admitted that Trump is crazy.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Enough wrote:And Trump yet again shows his true colors at the meeting trying to do his version of the Johnson treatment,
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/8 ... 3188221952
If he wasn't our president this would be pretty hysterical. Unfortunately for us though... :cry:

Still had to laugh at him straightening his suit jacket at the end and thinking Two scoops for me!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That smug, self satisfied look on his face after he pushes his way to the front perfectly sums up his character. Or lack thereof. I believed this long before he scammed his way into the White House: he has a face that was made to be smacked.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

A backpfeifengesicht.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump's foreign policy has crystallized in the past two weeks as love for Putin, Erdogan, and the Saudis, help for ISIS, admiration for Duterte, and contempt for Israel and our NATO allies.

This trip has really made a statesman of him.
Enough

Post by Enough »

I just love how Trump was unable to say anything critical about Saudi Arabia now that he's president but he sure had the cajones to rip NATO a new one as he stood in front of the NATO 911 memorial. Winning!
Last edited by Enough on Thu May 25, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Trump to EU: Germany Is ‘Bad, Very Bad’ for Selling Too Many Cars in the U.S.
In a closed-door meeting with European leaders Thursday, President Trump ripped Germany for running a trade surplus with the U.S., calling the nation “bad, very bad” or “evil, very evil,” depending on the translation.

“Look at the millions of cars that they’re selling in the USA. Horrible. We’re gonna stop that,” Trump added according to Der Spiegel, which heard about the conversation from someone in the room. EU Commission leader Jean-Claude Juncker reportedly stood up for Germany and defended the practice of free trade.

Trump’s apparent pledge to end German car sales in the U.S. is a dumb one considering how many German cars are made in the U.S. As Slate notes, Daimler, Volkswagen, and BMW all manufacture hundreds of thousands of cars in the Trump-loving South each year.

A separate report from the newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung noted that Trump’s chief economic adviser Gary Cohn also made a fool of himself in the meeting. In the meeting Cohn reportedly spoke about striking separate trade deals with Germany and Belgium, which wouldn’t be possible since EU nations negotiate trade deals as a group. This is a point Germany’s Chancellor Angela Merkel had to make to Trump nearly a dozen times when they met last month.

“The EU side was terrified about the lack of awareness,” Der Spiegel reports.
To be fair, back when America was at peak greatness, Germany was very bad indeed. It makes perfect sense for Trump to go there. #MAGA #DailyGodwin

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

What a goddamned embarrassment.

We could probably power the planet for for several years if we could connect turbines to everyone spinning in their graves right about now.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

There are hundreds of Trump embarrassments, and new ones come out every day. Some of them are huge, alliance-wrecking disasters, while others are just bush-league idiocies.

Here's a thread on how Trump got on a call with the PM of Denmark and thought he was talking to the king.
Spoiler:
Denmark does not have a king.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, but look at what we would have had to deal with had we gone against the wishes of our Russian overlords. People not losing health insurance, respect on the global stage, funding for science - it would have been a goddamn liberal-infested nightmare.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Enough wrote:I just love how Trump was unable to say anything critical about Saudi Arabia now that he's president but he sure had the cajones to rip NATO a new one as he stood in front of the NATA 911 memorial. Winning!
The whole point of this trip appears to be to weaken Europe and NATO. Party of Reagan!

Putin got waaaay more than he paid for out of this election.