The Trump foreign policy thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by Daehawk »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:40 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:02 pm Trump is a terrible business man as well. I dont know why his supporters think otherwise.

I have the suspicion that Trump is thinking of his post presidency days and he has big plans to open Trump failures businesses in Russia and is simply using the presidency to butter his future toast.
I kind of assume his family is headed for Russia after the presidency. They're global and they're funding people to keep them connected and internationally black market wealthy for a generation until what have you done for me lately comes to call.
It would solve those nagging tax issues Trump seems to collect. Did he ever release his tax info?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well done.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

"I hold both countries responsible. I think that the United States has been foolish. I think we've all been foolish. ... And I think we're all to blame."
He's right, we have our share of blame - Russia couldn't have meddled in our election if we didn't have elections to meddle!

Remember, you can't spell Russia without U, S and A.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:37 pm
$iljanus wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:04 pm
Alefroth wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:14 pm
$iljanus wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:13 pm The mouthpiece of the administration, Fox News, will have The Toddler's back of course and apply the appropriate spin to keep the true believers loyal.
Pretty strong language from Fox News even- http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/07/ ... ussia.html
Hannity Wormtongue will make it all better.
I'm anxious to see his performance.
It's about as nauseating as you'd expect.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:01 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:40 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:02 pm Trump is a terrible business man as well. I dont know why his supporters think otherwise.

I have the suspicion that Trump is thinking of his post presidency days and he has big plans to open Trump failures businesses in Russia and is simply using the presidency to butter his future toast.
I kind of assume his family is headed for Russia after the presidency. They're global and they're funding people to keep them connected and internationally black market wealthy for a generation until what have you done for me lately comes to call.
It would solve those nagging tax issues Trump seems to collect. Did he ever release his tax info?
Can Mueller sopina them?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:31 am

Well done.
I look forward to the videos of Red Hats shooting dictionaries in their backyards because they obviously have a liberal bias.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Daehawk wrote:Trump is a terrible business man as well. I dont know why his supporters think otherwise.
Decades of Trump branding himself as a terrific businessman. It was literally a huge false advertising campaign perpetrated on the American public.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Skinypupy wrote:

Well done.
I look forward to the videos of Red Hats shooting dictionaries in their backyards because they obviously have a liberal bias.
"The only book of words we need are the words in the Good Book! Except for the hippy love and forgiveness parts, of course."
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:58 am
Alefroth wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:37 pm
$iljanus wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:04 pm
Alefroth wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:14 pm
$iljanus wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:13 pm The mouthpiece of the administration, Fox News, will have The Toddler's back of course and apply the appropriate spin to keep the true believers loyal.
Pretty strong language from Fox News even- http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/07/ ... ussia.html
Hannity Wormtongue will make it all better.
I'm anxious to see his performance.
It's about as nauseating as you'd expect.
This is about right:

Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

:pop:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:03 am

Well done.
Blacks infiltrating whites. That's all you need to know.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Defiant wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:41 am

:pop:
Me, me, me. Wah, wah. Fake news.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

He's practically a superhero.

Nothing says formidable like crapping on your allies while stroking your opponent.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:38 pm He's practically a superhero.

Nothing says formidable like crapping on your allies while stroking your opponent.
Keep your friends confused, and your enemies satisfied.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there no mental test for US President?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:46 pmIs there no mental test for US President?
That test is, I think, based on the VP and a pile of cabinet members. Pence would never consider that. He clearly seems to think Trump has wings and a halo.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Guess the mild outrage is only for the cameras - not a shock.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No peace in our their lifetimes.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

malchior wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:03 pm Guess the mild outrage is only for the cameras - not a shock.

Man, if only that guy had any power to do anything about anything.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:00 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:46 pmIs there no mental test for US President?
That test is, I think, based on the VP and a pile of cabinet members. Pence would never consider that. He clearly seems to think Trump has wings and a halo.
Pence seems to think that he's in so deep that if Trump burns, he burns along with him, so he pretends he has a wings and a halo. Behind closed doors? I bet Pence hates Trump more than anyone. Trump's idiocy is going to destroy him.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump claims he misspoke(!):

Reuters wrote:Trump says he meant to say in Helsinki that he saw no reason why it would not be Russia that interfered in elections
Watch this again. Start at the 0:55 mark.

There is no way--no way--he intended blame Russia there. He absolutely did not mean to say "no reason why it would not be Russia."

He's lying like a bastard to our faces.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Getting caught up on that one word is a fool's errand. Of course he's lying now, but Trump made like 20 minutes of other statements at that press conference that support the same conclusion.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Then this (today):

Trump: "I accept our intelligence community's conclusion that Russia's meddling in the 2016 election took place. Could be other people also. A lot of people out there."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

What a spineless fuck.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AP
House Republicans have used a party-line vote to block a Democratic measure aimed at condemning President Donald Trump’s stunning comments in Helsinki, Finland, about Russia. It was the first vote testing how Congress will react to Trump’s remarks.
By 230-183, the House rejected a Democratic measure endorsing Speaker Paul Ryan’s remarks criticizing Russia. The Wisconsin Republican said “there is no question” Russia interfered in the elections and said there is “no moral equivalence” between the two countries.

The two-page Democratic proposal summarized Ryan’s points and said the House “expresses its agreement” with them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:10 pm AP
House Republicans have used a party-line vote to block a Democratic measure aimed at condemning President Donald Trump’s stunning comments in Helsinki, Finland, about Russia. It was the first vote testing how Congress will react to Trump’s remarks.
By 230-183, the House rejected a Democratic measure endorsing Speaker Paul Ryan’s remarks criticizing Russia. The Wisconsin Republican said “there is no question” Russia interfered in the elections and said there is “no moral equivalence” between the two countries.

The two-page Democratic proposal summarized Ryan’s points and said the House “expresses its agreement” with them.
Jesus. They won't even officially agree with their own leader's statement mildly condemning Trump.
Black Lives Matter.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Enlarge Image
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:07 pm What a spineless fuck.
His walk-back performance today has all the sincerity and credibility of his apology for the Access Hollywood tape.

He's struggling to read the statement without ad libbing, but he can't help himself, and every time he goes off-script he undercuts everything.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:Then this (today):

Trump: "I accept our intelligence community's conclusion that Russia's meddling in the 2016 election took place. Could be other people also. A lot of people out there."
Oh, the fat man in the basement theory. Yeah I guess it could have been him too.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

What's sad is that the GOP had the opportunity to behave like adults and rein Trump in very early in his Presidency. I honestly believe they could have tamed Trump's wilder impulses had they stood up to him early on. Instead they chose to give into a toddler vs teaching him right from wrong, and now we've got a monster beyond our wildest dreams.

But you know what? Live by the Trump, die by the Trump. Enjoy your minor half-assed victories and your Supreme Court pick. Because the image of the party has been tarnished forever. And we're not done yet. Just wait until the depth and scale of the corruption is finally revealed.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:49 pm
He's lying like a bastard to our faces.
Well, it *is* a day ending in a Y, so why would we expect anything different?
Captain Caveman

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:25 pm But you know what? Live by the Trump, die by the Trump. Enjoy your minor half-assed victories and your Supreme Court pick. Because the image of the party has been tarnished forever. And we're not done yet. Just wait until the depth and scale of the corruption is finally revealed.
You have more hope than I do. He delights in the corruption being revealed because the inability or unwillingness for anyone to do anything about it shows how powerful he is.

Shit gets revealed all the time. He revealed himself as a Putin stooge for the 100th time yesterday, gaslights everyone today with a transparently bullshit cover story, and the GOP will gleefully and eagerly embrace the excuse as credible in order to carry on role-playing that everything's normal.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:10 pm AP

Look! More spineless fucks.

Althoyh we can't be sure exactly how many. Were any of those votes against because it wasn't harsh enough language?

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anyone have a quick link so I can see who those 230 were? Guess I'll be writing yet another useless email to my Congressroach.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:25 pm What's sad is that the GOP had the opportunity to behave like adults and rein Trump in very early in his Presidency. I honestly believe they could have tamed Trump's wilder impulses had they stood up to him early on. Instead they chose to give into a toddler vs teaching him right from wrong, and now we've got a monster beyond our wildest dreams.

But you know what? Live by the Trump, die by the Trump. Enjoy your minor half-assed victories and your Supreme Court pick. Because the image of the party has been tarnished forever. And we're not done yet. Just wait until the depth and scale of the corruption is finally revealed.

Ironically, I see this as a point of redemption possibility for the GOP. I think we've hit sufficiently low that reasonable republicans can run against this GOP establishment and I would debate supporting them. Imagine republicans stepping up and saying conservatism has lost its way. "I'm here to say we can ask for more fiscal responsibility than is being offered by the democratic party and a greater burden on personal responsablity. I do have at least some sort of allegiance to America First but I denounce where the GOP in this regard. I denounce this adminstration and every thing it stands for. I denounce its support framework and every member of Congress who holds it in place. I denounce the nature of superpacs and will not accept them. I denounce and sort of GOP purity test. I stand against religion holding sway over laws." I'd have to at least listen and when quite frankly after Trump is out, I'd consider making my voice heard in the primaries on the right, which I think would lock me in to voting that same voice in the general. Only right now, first things first, Trump must go. Until he's gone and is not replaced by a veritalble clone or worse, there I can't even consider a reasonable republican at any level.
Captain Caveman

90%+ Republicans support Trump. Trump is the GOP.

Go against that grain of conservatism and you're boned. See Mark Sanford for one recent example.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:42 pm Anyone have a quick link so I can see who those 230 were? Guess I'll be writing yet another useless email to my Congressroach.
It was a party line vote. So it was...all of them. The Republicans, that is.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:54 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:42 pm Anyone have a quick link so I can see who those 230 were? Guess I'll be writing yet another useless email to my Congressroach.
It was a party line vote. So it was...all of them. The Republicans, that is.
Mullen (R, OK) just on NPR defending Trump. Saying the questions asked at the Helsinki press conference were unfair. Comparing Trump to Reagan, saying that Reagan praised Gorbachev in public but criticized him privately, lots of other irrelevant comparisons in attempt to justify. So I guess the moment has passed and the GOP has gotten their fucks ducks back in a row.

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm looking at the long game.

Trump's GOP is unsustainable. The country is getting more progressive. He's only in power because of a perfect storm.

I know the argument will be made that gerrymandering etc. makes them unstoppable but I don't buy it. The GOP cannot stay in power without pulling in independents and other swing voters, and I don't see those swing voters being hunky dory with the way things are going.

Plus, we all know that the GOP is only going to support Trump as long as it's politically beneficial to do so. Once the tide turns and he becomes a liability, they'll be falling all over themselves to claim they never really liked the guy in the first place.

I know we've seen that Trump "bucks historical trends" but that's what outliers do. He's a sample size of one. We have decades of history that show us Trump's GOP isn't a long-term winner.

Frankly I'm kind of tired of the attitude of some on the left that the bad guys won and we may as well just get ready to suffer. One Presidential election and everyone's ready to just throw in the towel. I don't understand why in every past election we felt confident that if we didn't like the bums in DC, we'd just vote them out. But now all of a sudden that's an impossibility? We're doomed to be ruled by deplorables the rest of our lives? Bullshit. Fuck those guys. Were taking this country back.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I share your cautious optimism, and I believe we're in for the fight of our lives and that failure isn't an option.

But I can't so easily dismiss Trump as a one-off. I think it's more correct to see his rise as something that was impossible in the past but is possible now, and that's the problem.

Trump is the absolute triumph of the nationalist Goldwater who couldn't win in 1964 and the racist George Wallace who couldn't make it at the national level in 1968 and the Fascist Pat Buchanan who had no chance in the 1990s. That should scare us, especially as we see other democracies falling down this same hole.