The Trump foreign policy thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by $iljanus »

The mouthpiece of the administration, Fox News, will have The Toddler's back of course and apply the appropriate spin to keep the true believers loyal.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If those types of OpEd pieces come in and they start opening calling Trump an traitor en masse, I suspect he'll just start to casually ramp up his thoughts that members of the media should be jailed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Not trying to overload with Ryan Lizza related material but he is right on in his Esquire piece.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:If those types of OpEd pieces come in and they start opening calling Trump an traitor en masse, I suspect he'll just start to casually ramp up his thoughts that members of the media should be jailed.
Or audits are in somebody's future...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Political punditry seems to be collectively freaking the fuck out right now, to the point where I was wondering whether I was missing something worse, like whether Trump had agreed to some sort of grand bargain with Russia.

What impact will this have? Who can say. Partly this depends on how this plays out on the non-Fox cable news this evening. Of course with all of the information out on Trump already, a "big" impact is maybe 1 - 2 points of approval rating.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Some Republicans in Congress sharply criticize Trump's comments on Putin

But will they do anything more concrete than offer criticism? :think:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Don't worry - Paul Ryan has our back! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I like how he somehow makes it sound like the House Committee on Intelligence is the imprimatur of credibility needed to believe the intelligence community.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Defiant wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:44 pm Some Republicans in Congress sharply criticize Trump's comments on Putin

I just read the criticism - it was mild at best. Graham called it a "missed opportunity". Are you fucking kidding me? If Obama said that he'd be jumping on his desk right now demanding impeachement. To hell with them all. Our nation is being stolen away and they are mildly kvetching.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Fucking disgraceful.

Fucking disgraceful.

He stands there and attacks our defenders in order to curry Putin's favor. And he does nothing while Putin goes out of his way to gloat over the victory.

Fucking disgraceful.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:43 pm Political punditry seems to be collectively freaking the fuck out right now, to the point where I was wondering whether I was missing something worse, like whether Trump had agreed to some sort of grand bargain with Russia.

What impact will this have? Who can say. Partly this depends on how this plays out on the non-Fox cable news this evening. Of course with all of the information out on Trump already, a "big" impact is maybe 1 - 2 points of approval rating.
Reading between the lines, Trump gave Putin carte blanche to manipulate the midterms. That blue ripple is already looking smaller.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

malchior wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:50 pm I just read the criticism - it was mild at best. Graham called it a "missed opportunity". Are you fucking kidding me? If Obama said that he'd be jumping on his desk right now demanding impeachement. To hell with them all. Our nation is being stolen away and they are mildly kvetching.
Sasse's and Flake's response seem reasonable coming from someone from the same party, as does this one:
A senior GOP congressional aide told CNN it's "shocking he would disrespect our intel community on foreign soil. Next to Putin."
But if they aren't going to follow through with anything concrete, it's all for naught.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:43 pm Political punditry seems to be collectively freaking the fuck out right now, to the point where I was wondering whether I was missing something worse, like whether Trump had agreed to some sort of grand bargain with Russia.

It feels like the straw that is being used as an excuse to finally admit that the camel's back has been broken for some time.

Like everyone just agrees that it's time. The exaggerated indignation is just cover for not taking a stand sooner.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Reading between the lines, Trump gave Putin carte blanche to manipulate the midterms. That blue ripple is already looking smaller.
Thinking about it some more, I think one possible impact of this clusterfuck of a meeting is that I think this will convince more of the political punditry to take seriously the notion that Trump really may be compromised by the Russian government in some form. I think that will shape coverage going forward, and give the "Trump as a traitor" narrative more traction.

But as you say, I do worry more and more about active Russian interference in the midterms. Given gerrymandering and other structural advantages, the GOP can lose by a lot and still win the House. So they wouldn't need to change that many votes (directly or indirectly) to change the outcome of an election. And while there's a risk of getting caught...at this point, if you're Russia, as long as you succeed in helping the GOP retain control, how much do you really worry about the consequences of getting caught?
Black Lives Matter.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Defiant wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:44 pm Some Republicans in Congress sharply criticize Trump's comments on Putin

NARRATOR: They will not.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:50 pm I like how he somehow makes it sound like the House Committee on Intelligence is the imprimatur of credibility needed to believe the intelligence community.
I read it as, "Even the clown show that is the House Committee recognizes this." :character-jestercolor:
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

How anyone still respects this sycophantic lapdog is beyond me.
malchior

Post by malchior »

He lost Cavuto! Well I guess that is a who cares moment...

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Fireball wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:06 pm

NARRATOR: They will not.
Hey, spoilers!

Oh, who am I kidding, we can all see this coming a mile away.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I forgot to even talk about the Putin claim that he had evidence that US Intelligence and Law Enforcement conspired to help get $400 M of Russian money (illegally earned by Bill Browder natch!) to the Clinton campaign in 2016. Of course, the right underground is already seizing on that. Do you think Putin says that with anyone but Trump up there next to him? Of course not. It is fucking ludicrous and our President just nodded along.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rep Dana Rohrabacher on Bloomberg TV says US meddles in Russian elections at "much higher rate" than Russia does in our elections
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Captain Caveman wrote:

How anyone still respects this sycophantic lapdog is beyond me.
Isn't it spelled "Amerika" now, Comrade Pence?
Black lives matter!

Holman

Post by Holman »

Gary Shteyngart wrote:NYT: "So disorienting was Mr. Trump’s performance at times it fell to Mr. Putin to try to cushion the blow.

When a reporter asked whether Mr. Trump had raised objections to Russia’s annexation of Crimea, Mr. Putin answered that of course [Trump] objected. Mr. Trump was silent."
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:04 pm I do worry more and more about active Russian interference in the midterms. Given gerrymandering and other structural advantages, the GOP can lose by a lot and still win the House. So they wouldn't need to change that many votes (directly or indirectly) to change the outcome of an election. And while there's a risk of getting caught...at this point, if you're Russia, as long as you succeed in helping the GOP retain control, how much do you really worry about the consequences of getting caught?
They don't even need to change results -- only sow enough confusion and distrust to de-legitimize results, spur recounts and lawsuits, and generally destroy voter confidence. And Trump as much as said that tampering will be blamed on the Chinese.

“I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how; but what is extraordinarily important is this — who will count the votes, and how.” --Joseph Stalin
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The 21 most disturbing lines from Donald Trump's press conference with Vladimir Putin
6. "But we have lots of sources now and the United States is much different than it was a number of years ago when we weren't unable to extract what we could extract today. So today we're number one in the world at that, and I think we'll be out there competing very strongly."

Uh, so, um, what?

7. "I hold both countries responsible. I think that the United States has been foolish. I think we've all been foolish. ... And I think we're all to blame."

This is a line that will live in infamy. Trump, asked directly, "Do you hold Russia at all accountable for anything in particular," responded with this there's-plenty-of-blame-to-go-around response. It's a stunning response to what should be a very straightforward answer: Yes, I believe our intelligence community and the Senate Intelligence Committee that Russia actively meddled in the election to help me, hurt Clinton and sow chaos. It's hard to properly contextualize what it means when the American president, standing beside the Russian president, says that he can't say whether Putin or the US intelligence apparatus is to be believed.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:13 pm The mouthpiece of the administration, Fox News, will have The Toddler's back of course and apply the appropriate spin to keep the true believers loyal.
Pretty strong language from Fox News even- http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/07/ ... ussia.html
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

At least he didn't bow.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Defiant wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:51 pm
Based on that statement, and the statements of other conservatives, I might raise their level from "concerned" to "very concerned".

Not that they will actually do anything about it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, we're beyond someone making an official statement or voicing their opinion via Twitter. Wake me up when they actually goddamn do something. Better yet, nudge me when they vote along party lines like the cowards they all are.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I know what the GOP is thinking. They obviously believe McCain isn't thinking clearly due to his health problems. That explains the confusion he obviously suffers from.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

First Trump gets played by Putin in the meeting and press conference and then:

Humiliated by Putin on FOX NEWS!!! If this didn’t damage the US it would be a lot funnier.
He added: “I don't want to insult President Trump when I say this -- and I may come as rude -- but before he announced that he will run for presidency, he was of no interest for us.
He was a rich person, but, well, there's plenty of rich persons in the United States,” Putin said of Trump. “He was in the construction business. He organized the beauty pageants. But no, it would never occur to anyone that he would think of running for president.
Putin argued Russia wouldn’t have the resources to track Trump had it wanted to do so. To make a point, Putin said the annual St. Petersburg Economic Forum usually draws 500 business leaders and most of them are industrial tycoons on a “greater scale” than Trump as a businessman.
Ok it actually is funny. Jesus he needs to go.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I looked on Trump's Twitter feed for his now typical set of replies to anyone's accusations that Trump is a nobody and not even rich. Trump didn't Tweet anything about Putin's remarks yet, but I'm sure he will once he's done going after restaurants and the Democrats.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trump is a terrible business man as well. I dont know why his supporters think otherwise.

I have the suspicion that Trump is thinking of his post presidency days and he has big plans to open Trump failures businesses in Russia and is simply using the presidency to butter his future toast.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:02 pm Trump is a terrible business man as well. I dont know why his supporters think otherwise.

I have the suspicion that Trump is thinking of his post presidency days and he has big plans to open Trump failures businesses in Russia and is simply using the presidency to butter his future toast.
I kind of assume his family is headed for Russia after the presidency. They're global and they're funding people to keep them connected and internationally black market wealthy for a generation until what have you done for me lately comes to call.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:14 pm
$iljanus wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:13 pm The mouthpiece of the administration, Fox News, will have The Toddler's back of course and apply the appropriate spin to keep the true believers loyal.
Pretty strong language from Fox News even- http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/07/ ... ussia.html
Hannity Wormtongue will make it all better.
Black lives matter!

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:04 pm
Alefroth wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:14 pm
Hannity Wormtongue will make it all better.
I'm anxious to see his performance.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Putin should have just put Trump in a headlock during the press conference and gave him a bunch of noogies while saying “Who is your papa” with a wedgie as his finishing move.
Black lives matter!