The Trump foreign policy thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:47 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:46 pm Google understands I'm right, why can't you, stupid brower?!
:coffee:
For the record it started as a typo. It was "browers" and I removed the s instead of moving it. Stupid detail orientated readers!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ictionary/
For some reason, Mozilla doesn't have a Canadian localization team, but I know that even the British dictionary doesn't quite cut it for the truly patriotic.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

What's really odd is that even the American spellchecker is just missing words. They aren't Canadian or british words or spellings. It's like it's using a reader's digest version of the english language. When your vocabulary is better than the computer dictionary, that's not you being awesome, it's the computer dictionary sucking.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Chaz wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:20 pm He did the delete and repost because he originally misspelled "cemetery".

I wouldn't necessarily rule out that the helicopter was going to take off from the lawn behind the ambassador's house. When they land on the WH south lawn, there's also trees pretty close, and they have to land on three 10' wide discs that they put out, one wheel on each. The guys flying this thing are real good at their jobs, I bet they could get in and out of there without breaking a sweat.
Maybe, maybe not.

But it's clear that POTUS motorcades in Paris *are* possible, as Trump rode in one the next day, and as every president has always ridden in one when a meeting occurred in some building other than the US ambassador's residence.

More to the point, they planned this whole trip knowing about Parisian geography, scheduled events, and the possibility of rain in November. So why the big failure?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, see, I hate when we get bogged down discussing the details. Any sort of discussion of the specifics of his excuse practically legitimizes the excuse by treating it as sincere. It's a trap.

It is not sincere, it is not valid, it is not honest. He didn't go for whatever freaking reason, except for the one that he tweeted out to the world. That's how he works.

We have already agreed that barring a world-wide crisis, he should have been at that ceremony. That's it. Period. There wasn't a world-wide crisis, there wasn't even a crisis in his pants as far as we know. The rest is meaningless rehashing of the details that are clearly lies that both the Right and Left engage in far too often. Analyzing the lie is more respect that it deserves. He might as well have said visitors from outer space arrived for his scheduled anal probe. Sorry the dead, I can't get out of it, there's an alien's finger in my ass right now.

These are lies, he's a liar, whether it was raining or it was not raining doesn't actually matter, because rain is not a valid excuse in any world except drumpf's mind maybe. Getting into arguments (Fox vs CNN for example) about the quantity of rain at that particular time of day at that particular geographic location is all bullshit. Arguing about rain gives the appearance that if there was enough rain it would make his lies a valid excuse. But it wouldn't.

That's the danger about treating his excuses as sincere then attempting to prove/disprove them. If he said the helicopter was green and it turns out it was yellow, then that proves he's a liar. Conversely, if it turns out the helicopter was actually green, he's telling the truth. QED.

It's all bullshit. All of it. He should have been there. He wasn't. Trying to justify his absence is bullshit. Trying to "prove" his excuse couldn't be true is also of limited value. Because we can all agree that ANY excuse that wasn't about catastrophic emergencies is not a valid excuse, EVEN IF the details of the excuse are absolutely 100% true.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just tired.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If you're going to attack France, do it on the anniversary of the Paris terrorist attacks. Classic Trump!

Trump's attack on Macron lacked 'common decency', France says
US President Donald Trump's tweets mocking his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron were inappropriate and showed a lack of "common decency", France says.

On Tuesday, Mr Trump attacked Mr Macron over nationalism, plans for a European army and the French leader's ratings.

"We were marking the murder of 130 of our people," French government spokesman Benjamin Griveaux said, referring to the 2015 Paris attacks.

It follows Mr Trump's awkward Armistice Day visit to Paris over the weekend.

Mr Griveaux said 13 November was a date for France to mark the tragic incidents of three years ago in Paris and Saint-Denis, when co-ordinated suicide bombings and mass shootings killed 130 people and wounded hundreds more.

"So I will reply in English: 'common decency' would have been the appropriate thing," he told reporters on Wednesday.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lacks common decency.

I'm pretty sure that was the original campaign slogan focus groups thought it was too straight forward and didn't angry up the blood enough.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Finally, some news on the diplomatic front that is totally normal.

Trump Appoints Immigrant as Ambassador to South Africa
  • President Donald Trump is handing another US ambassadorship to a member of his Mar-a-Lago resort that costs $200,000 to join.
  • This time it's the long-vacant role as US ambassador to South Africa, and Lana Marks is Trump's pick.
  • Marks is Trump's pick as the top US diplomat to the second-largest African economy. Sheis likely best known as a handbag designer. Her sought-after bags can cost as much as $400,000.
  • Marks is the fourth member of the Mar-a-Lago club Trump has tapped for an ambassadorship.
The nomination of Lana Marks as ambassador to South Africa, yet another Mar-a-Lago member tapped for such an honor, is certain to raise some uncomfortable questions about whether President Donald Trump is rewarding longtime members of his exclusive, pricey Mar-a-Lago club.

In a statement from the White House on Wednesday Trump announced several new appointments to key administration posts, including that of Marks.

Marks is the founder and chief executive of Lana Marks Inc., a luxury fashion-accessories company.

Rather than crossing swords with honorary consuls or hosting royals for high tea, Marks is best known for her high-dollar handbags.

According to the Palm Beach Daily News, the South African-born entrepreneur has a legacy of lawsuits, past and present.

"In more than a dozen past lawsuits against her in Aspen, New York, California and South Florida, Marks has repeatedly been accused of stiffing her attorneys, accountants, landlords and employees. She is also embroiled in bitter, international legal battles in South Africa and Israel with her siblings over a family trust and the care for their 89-year-old mother," the news outlet reports.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:52 pmThe world is disintegrating in front of me. How do you guys stand it?
Broad cell phone coverage to pacify the masses, high fat diets to slow them down, and sugar to dull their minds.

Not a far-reaching conspiracy, just a number of different agencies working on their own to keep us all hooked on their own poisons. Put them together and "outrage" doesn't extend far beyond Facebook.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:08 am Finally, some news on the diplomatic front that is totally normal.
Right. Finally some normality!
Trump Appoints Immigrant as Ambassador to South Africa
"In more than a dozen past lawsuits against her in Aspen, New York, California and South Florida, Marks has repeatedly been accused of stiffing her attorneys, accountants, landlords and employees. She is also embroiled in bitter, international legal battles in South Africa and Israel with her siblings over a family trust and the care for their 89-year-old mother," the news outlet reports.
"So let's look at your key qualifications: Customer of President. Grifter. No Questions Asked."
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

The nomination of Lana Marks as ambassador to South Africa, yet another Mar-a-Lago member tapped for such an honor, is certain to raise some uncomfortable questions about whether President Donald Trump is rewarding longtime members of his exclusive, pricey Mar-a-Lago club.
Wait, are there people that still think this is in doubt? I thought this was well established by now. Drumpf has taken "pay to play" to new heights; heights assumed unreachable previously.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Honestly, if Trump is reelected, what are the odds that we have Ambassador Dennis Rodman at some point before 2024? Gotta be at least 70%, right?
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:36 am Honestly, if Trump is reelected, what are the odds that we have Ambassador Dennis Rodman at some point before 2024? Gotta be at least 70%, right?
Why not? Dennis will get NK to shut down all those missile bases. Guaranteed.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

TheMix wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:32 am
Wait, are there people that still think this is in doubt? I thought this was well established by now. Drumpf has taken "pay to play" to new heights; heights assumed unreachable previously.
What the heck are you talking about? tRump ran on the message and promise of "draining the swamp" and he has followed through on his campaign promises. He told me himself he did.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Remus West wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:20 pm
TheMix wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:32 am
What the heck are you talking about? tRump ran on the message and promise of "draining the swamp" and he has followed through on his campaign promises. He told me himself he did.
Maybe he meant to say "re-purposing the swamp"?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

link

"And then he says... forgive me, cannot stop with laughing... he says... it was 'very cool and very legal'!"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Dude - we are killing...*it?*
Holman

Post by Holman »

OMG I just realized that you can see Trump lurching in there in the background, trying to look important while he scans the room and exactly nobody seems thrilled to see him.

This is like when the cool kids ditch their dorky tag-along at the prom.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Nobody even seems to acknowledge him. I'd love it so very much except it reflects the damage he is doing to our nation on the international stage.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

Holman wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:07 pm OMG I just realized that you can see Trump lurching in there in the background, trying to look important while he scans the room and exactly nobody seems thrilled to see him.

Seems like he's just entering the room to me.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stessier wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:55 pm Seems like he's just entering the room to me.
I didn't want to jump in and I'm often seen as contrary (because I often am) but that's all I see as well. I hate defending drumpf on even the most trivial level, but I don't see anything but many men walking into a room with many other men.
naednek

Post by naednek »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:59 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:55 pm Seems like he's just entering the room to me.
I didn't want to jump in and I'm often seen as contrary (because I often am) but that's all I see as well. I hate defending drumpf on even the most trivial level, but I don't see anything but many men walking into a room with many other men.
often? :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

naednek wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:51 pm often? :P
Notice that I said "seen as", not that I recognize it as true, only that the perception has a factual basis!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:55 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:07 pm OMG I just realized that you can see Trump lurching in there in the background, trying to look important while he scans the room and exactly nobody seems thrilled to see him.

Seems like he's just entering the room to me.
He is. Alone and unwelcomed. When was the last time you saw a clip of a POTUS enter a room on the international scene with literally nobody greeting him?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OK, but he IS greeted. Watch the video again, he is greeted by a short man that comes on the screen on the right and they begin talking to each other.

But yeah, I bet no one is flocking to him , but this video doesn't feed my need to see that happening.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Unagi wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:36 pm OK, but he IS greeted. Watch the video again, he is greeted by a short man that comes on the screen on the right and they begin talking to each other.

But yeah, I bet no one is flocking to him , but this video doesn't feed my need to see that happening.
There's definitely at least 1 satellite dude orbiting and addressing him. I have no idea if that's out of the ordinary or not.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

He is the leader of the largest economy in the world. You would expect much more than a single usher to greet him at an economic summit. That all he gets is that sends very clear signals that the rest of the world is moving on without the US as much as possible due to him. Whether it is him, as a person, or him simply being elected and thus signalling how unreliable we are, the world is moving along without us.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As much as he gripes about the rest of them not pulling their weight, you'd think he'd be happy about it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Remus West wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:14 pm He is the leader of the largest economy in the world. You would expect much more than a single usher to greet him at an economic summit.
It's a narrow, tiny, seconds long video of him entering a busy room with a flood of other people of equal importance. He's not the Queen of England.

You are of course free to interpret the video as you like. I just don't see it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Remus West wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:14 pm He is the leader of the largest economy in the world.
Thank you so much for using that particular turn of phrase, vs. the old, certainly now untrue saw which makes my eye twitch when I hear or read it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

From Fox & Friends talking head to State Department talking head to Undersecretary of State for Propoganda Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs to UN ambassador. Not a bad career arc...

Heather Nauert 'to replace Nikki Haley as US envoy to UN'
US President Donald Trump is set to announce state department spokeswoman Heather Nauert as his new ambassador to the United Nations, US media report.

One of the reports came from Fox News, where Ms Nauert has previously worked as a presenter.

Nikki Haley had announced in October that she was leaving the post by the end of the year.

Ms Nauert, 48, was made state department spokeswoman in April 2017, her first government position.

Fox News said Mr Trump would tweet about the appointment on Friday morning, while Bloomberg said it had been told of the decision to appoint Ms Nauert by three sources.

The state department has made no comment.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

US President Donald Trump’s “deal of the century,” expected to be rolled out after the elections on April 9, will include a Palestinian state on 85-90% of the West Bank and the division of Jerusalem, according to a Channel 13 News report.
link

If the report is true, this "deal of the century" would be fairly similar to the previous peace proposals. Which would be a positive, since it would mean something resembling traditional foreign policy. Not that I expect much success, particularly with how the administration has damaged the State Department.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isn't Deal of the Century the movie where the main character, played by Chevy Chase, shoots himself in the foot? IIRC it was a broken foot in a cast and he has to put a cork into the cast to stop the bleeding. Probably an apt metaphor.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Is it me or is everything (constructive. He is really good about dismantling things NOW NOW NOW) from POTUS about what he's going to do later, usually after someone else does for him and then later never happens.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Overwhelming majority of Senate Republicans support Trump easing sanctions on Russia
Senate Democrats on Wednesday came up short in a vote to stop the Trump administration from easing sanctions on companies linked to Oleg Deripaska, a Russian billionaire with ties to Russia's president, Vladimir Putin.

A motion to push that resolution forward in the Republican-majority Senate, which required a 60-vote majority to pass, came up three votes shy in a proceeding that saw 11 GOP senators side with Democrats.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Good.

Lord.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Defiant wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:12 pm Overwhelming majority of Senate Republicans support Trump easing sanctions on Russia
Senate Democrats on Wednesday came up short in a vote to stop the Trump administration from easing sanctions on companies linked to Oleg Deripaska, a Russian billionaire with ties to Russia's president, Vladimir Putin.

A motion to push that resolution forward in the Republican-majority Senate, which required a 60-vote majority to pass, came up three votes shy in a proceeding that saw 11 GOP senators side with Democrats.
Also notable is that Bernie Sanders skipped the vote. Considering how close it was, that's a ridiculous choice to make.

But then he also opposed the Magnitsky Act and earlier sanctions, so...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In my mind's eye, Mueller needs to give Trump, the GOP and anyone else involved in whatever happened to our government the Ripley treatment:

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

NATO, Russia fail to agree over missile breach, U.S. to quit treaty
NATO and Russia failed on Friday to resolve a dispute over a new Russian missile that Western allies say is a threat to Europe, bringing closer Washington’s withdrawal from a landmark arms control treaty.

At a meeting of the NATO-Russia Council in Brussels, envoys from NATO’s 29 members renewed their call on Moscow’s deputy foreign minister to destroy a nuclear-capable cruise missile system before a Feb. 2 deadline.

Without a breakthrough, the United States is set to start the six-month process of pulling out of the 1987 Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF), having notified it would do so in early December and accusing Moscow of breaching it.

Russia denies violating the terms of the treaty, which eliminated the medium-range missile arsenals of the world’s two biggest nuclear powers.

“The treaty is in real jeopardy,” NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said. “The sooner Russia comes back into compliance, the better. The treaty has no value if it is not respected, the problem are the Russian missiles in Europe,” he told a news conference after the meeting.

One NATO diplomat said the U.S. ambassador to the alliance told the assembled diplomats and officials that Washington would start the pull-out process from the INF on Feb. 2. The U.S. embassy was not immediately available for comment.
It's fortunate that the USA has a steady hand at the tiller and won't be drifting into a new nuclear arms race.