The Trump foreign policy thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't worry. I'm sure he'll make promises to save Israel from the high price of traditional breads We'll send them white bread! It's the best bread! Israel will never fear the challah cost again!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh, come on.
Foreign officials meeting President Trump during his first overseas trip are being told to praise him for winning the Electoral College last year, the New York Times reported Friday.

Embassies and leaders who have met with Trump have been speaking among themselves and with other dignitaries about how to handle the new president, and a number of themes have emerged, the report said.

Among them are suggestions to compliment Trump on his election win, and compare him favorably to former President Obama; not to expect him to know your country's history or hot-button issues; and make a short presentation tailored to his attention span, and don't try to bring up a long list of issues.
I hope no one forgets to pack his binky. We wouldn't want him to throw a tantrum, now would we?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

They're also making sure Trump's favorite meal, steak with ketchup, is always available, in addition to local fare.
Hodor.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Had a very, very ironic thought.

Was cogitating on how worthless, or even destructive, Trump's interactions with other foreign leaders must be, especially in light of the Hill article mentioned above. I wondered if Congress would be moved at all if one or more countries sent notice more or less saying, "please contact us when you have a real President." And as rumblings of discontent and impeachment rise accordingly, the ever-defensive White House then releases the statement, "Since when does the United States let other countries influence who is our President?" :roll:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

pr0ner wrote:They're also making sure Trump's favorite meal, steak with ketchup, is always available, in addition to local fare.
I hope he heads to India soon. :pop:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Good god I am embarrassed by this entire mess. I'd like to send out a big FUCK YOU to all the "red" states. Oh wait. I live in one. Crap. :(
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote:So what are the chances he's going to totally crack and make some insane statements?
For his part, Mr. Trump, a confirmed homebody, has expressed dread about the trip, asking aides whether it can be shortened to five days from nine. His advisers concede that the intense schedule — dozens of interactions with leaders from the Middle East and Europe, over a range of delicate issues — could produce unscripted, diplomatically perilous moments.
A president with diplomatic experience would sure be nice right now. Or at least one with stamina.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I remember the good old days when the worst diplomatic faux pas I had to worry about was Obama giving someone a DVD set for the wrong region...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Alefroth wrote:A president with diplomatic experience would sure be nice right now. Or at least one with stamina.
It's weird. I almost seem to remember him attacking Hillary for being low-energy and unable to deal with the rigors of travel. Now I'm seeing reports that depending on how "exhausting" this trip is, VP Pence might take over for travel duties. Sad.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote:
Alefroth wrote:A president with diplomatic experience would sure be nice right now. Or at least one with stamina.
It's weird. I almost seem to remember him attacking Hillary for being low-energy and unable to deal with the rigors of travel. Now I'm seeing reports that depending on how "exhausting" this trip is, VP Pence might take over for travel duties. Sad.
If only there were some process the human body could undergo that would increase its stamina over time, some kind of process we could repeat two or three times a week that made our health and well-being stronger.

Damn these bodies of ours and their finite energy capacity.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Remus West wrote:Good god I am embarrassed by this entire mess. I'd like to send out a big FUCK YOU to all the "red" states. Oh wait. I live in one. Crap. :(
Rub your nose in it! Rub it!!

It's the only way you'll learn. :violence-smack:
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:
Yeah, where are collapsing Hillary peanut gallery now? My guess is they are preparing an arsenal of Hillary collapsing images with one liners about Obama's failed presidency that somehow is supposed to demonstrate the greatness of their zealotry... Have I mentioned I'm hitting social media overload again and should probably step away again?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Makes me kind of glad that I'm insulated. My only sources of "modern events" are here, CNN, MSNBC, Washington Post, and a few other outlets. Also, Fark, but they don't really do much with politics. I don't have any kind of social media account registered to my name and I am not subjected to rampant Twitter/Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat diarrhea.

I've still felt overloaded since around November 7th.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Alefroth wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:So what are the chances he's going to totally crack and make some insane statements?
For his part, Mr. Trump, a confirmed homebody, has expressed dread about the trip, asking aides whether it can be shortened to five days from nine. His advisers concede that the intense schedule — dozens of interactions with leaders from the Middle East and Europe, over a range of delicate issues — could produce unscripted, diplomatically perilous moments.
A president with diplomatic experience would sure be nice right now. Or at least one with stamina.
Stamina never came up as an issue when Trump was flying around the world to visit his golf courses, but now it's suddenly a big concern.

Funny, that.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote:They're also making sure Trump's favorite meal, steak with ketchup, is always available, in addition to local fare.
This is one thing that doesn't bother me - well, the actual meal choice does, but not that he would prefer it to local fare. When I'm president, it will be that way too - I simply like too few foods and it is much less offensive to skip the local offerings than to throw up on the hosts.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

YellowKing wrote:I remember the good old days when the worst diplomatic faux pas I had to worry about was Obama giving someone a DVD set for the wrong region...
In terms of Israel, Obama made a number of far more serious mistakes than that (His speech to Egypt while avoiding Israel in that same first trip, comparing Palestinian suffering to the Holocaust, etc) that his advisors later admitted they made self imposed blunders that got things off on the wrong foot.

But I would think all of this stuff is completely overshadowed by Trump's passing on intelligence to the Russians.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote:
This is one thing that doesn't bother me - well, the actual meal choice does, but not that he would prefer it to local fare. When I'm president, it will be that way too - I simply like too few foods and it is much less offensive to skip the local offerings than to throw up on the hosts.
When I'm president, I won't do International tours, that's what the VP and Sec State and diplomats are for.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Defiant wrote:But I would think all of this stuff is completely overshadowed by Trump's passing on intelligence to the Russians.
Not if you looked at my FB feed. I broke down and started ignoring people, people I didn't even ignore last October to December.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Paingod wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
If only there were some process the human body could undergo that would increase its stamina over time, some kind of process we could repeat two or three times a week that made our health and well-being stronger.

Damn these bodies of ours and their finite energy capacity.
:clap:
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Defiant wrote:
YellowKing wrote:I remember the good old days when the worst diplomatic faux pas I had to worry about was Obama giving someone a DVD set for the wrong region...
In terms of Israel, Obama made a number of far more serious mistakes than that (His speech to Egypt while avoiding Israel in that same first trip, comparing Palestinian suffering to the Holocaust, etc) that his advisors later admitted they made self imposed blunders that got things off on the wrong foot.

But I would think all of this stuff is completely overshadowed by Trump's passing on intelligence to the Russians.
Wait for it. Who knows what Trump will do once the trip is actually under way. He's still got a 2-day visit in Saudi Arabia plus his overnighter in Jerusalem to get through before he gets out of the Middle East and moves on to his European gaffs. There's plenty of time for the old toddler to outdo Obama.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ooh, here's some nice trivia:
The trip marks the first time since taking office that Trump has spent a night away from the White House at a property that doesn't bear his name.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote:Ooh, here's some nice trivia:
The trip marks the first time since taking office that Trump has spent a night away from the White House at a property that doesn't bear his name.
He's a pathological homebody. During the campaign, he almost always made a point of flying back to NYC every day so that he could sleep at Trump Tower. Not sleeping in his own bed will probably be the worst part of the trip for him, poor boy. Hell, sleeping at the WH instead of his own home probably has him on edge all the time as it is.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B wrote:Ooh, here's some nice trivia:
Give him time and a crayon - I'm pretty sure the White House property will bear his name eventually.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Defiant wrote: Give him time and a crayon - I'm pretty sure the White House property will bear his name eventually.
He'll start selling naming rights to government buildings to pay for his stupid wall. The White House rights he'll sell to his own company for a pittance, with something like a 1000-year contract.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote:
Who knew travel would be so hard.

Jet lag. I just came up with that. Have you heard that before?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump is being treated like a literal king in Riyadh. His portrait is all over the city, medals are raining down on him, feasts and marches are occurring in his honor, and even WH staffers are being honored like heads of state.

You can't say they don't know their audience.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Holman wrote:You can't say they don't know their audience.
The beauty of it all is that Trumptards are interpreting this thinly-veiled manipulation of Trump's ego as the world finally showing the US respect, because of how respect-worthy Trump has made us internationally.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Holman wrote:Trump is being treated like a literal king in Riyadh. His portrait is all over the city, medals are raining down on him, feasts and marches are occurring in his honor, and even WH staffers are being honored like heads of state.

You can't say they don't know their audience.
I read that and immediately start wondering what it is they are going to ask him for in return for all the flattery. I'm guessing we are about to give them double or triple of something we would otherwise never consider giving at all.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

First place to start is the arms deal they just signed.
Make up bags of change
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Some of the deal that is being approved had already been negotiated by the previous administration, but was held up because of concerns over Saudi human rights violations in the Yemen conflict (they've been killing a lot of civilians). Stuff like that isn't an issue anymore, depending on who you ask of course.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

RunningMn9 wrote:First place to start is the arms deal they just signed.
And in a private room away from the cameras President Trump is sitting in a chair in the middle of the floor while Saudi royal princes shower him with money. The king knowingly smiles in the background...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Well, now we know why Jared Kushner called the CEO of Lockheed to pressure them into providing the Saudis with some additional discounts.
Make up bags of change
Rip

Post by Rip »

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/great- ... audi-king/
:coffee:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The whole "WE DUN SHOWED THEM. 'MURCA, FUCK YEAH!" nonsense is so ridiculous.

Yes, Obama bowed, as is a cultural custom. So. Fucking. What?
Enough

Post by Enough »

Rip wrote:http://www.theamericanmirror.com/great- ... audi-king/
:coffee:
Dude, I literally was just laughing with my wife looking at pictures of Trump bowing to get a medal from the same dude and then read an old Trump tweet about how inappropriate it was for Michelle to not wear hijab when there. If this the best you've got, it really must suck for you right now, lol.

Oh and most of us who miss no drama Obama were able to admit we were not psyched about the arms deals he made with SA. Yet you are just all rah, rah about your man getting all medalled by them and forcing Lockheed to give them a cheaper price on weapons we probably shouldn't be selling them. I would be disgusted if I saw any of my political heroes getting all cozy with these folks (and unfortunately regularly do), but enjoy as this will likely be the warmest reception Trump will get outside of Russia, UAE, Turkey, or the Philippines right now heh. :D
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hey, credit where credit is due: Trump's half a day into his trip already and no major gaffes yet. Better than expected!
Enough

Post by Enough »

Psst, hey Rip, here's the real difference between when Obama and Trump went to SA:
Saudi leaders, like others in the Persian Gulf, know Trump is unlikely to press them about the way they run their countries. Off the table will be topics like democracy, political reform, or gender equality.

“They had enough of that from Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton,” said Bruce Riedel, a former senior adviser to four presidents who is now senior fellow in the Center for Middle East Policy at the Brookings Institution in Washington.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enough wrote:Dude, I literally was just laughing with my wife looking at pictures of Trump bowing to get a medal from the same dude and then read an old Trump tweet about how inappropriate it was for Michelle to not wear hijab when there. If this the best you've got, it really must suck for you right now, lol.
Even better:

Enlarge Image
Holman

Post by Holman »

I remember when the Obamas visited Saudi Arabia and Michelle bowed and Barack wore a headscarf and also offended Israel by threatening to expose their best ISIS sources, but in the end he chickened out and didn't do it. MAGA!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.