The Trump foreign policy thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

As we learn more about how he was "elected" it gets more bleak, since this administration and our lawmakers aren't interested in stopping it happening again.

How many incidents and revelations that would have sunk any previous President have come and gone under this one? It's not business as usual and there's no reason to think 2020 will be either. Or even November 2018.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Cameras picked this up in Trump's script for today's statement:

link

"There was no Colusion [sic]" is added in Trump's handwriting.

There's also a line crossed out that seems to be about "bringing anyone involved in this meddling to justice."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I mean, obviously he doesn't want to bring people involved in the meddling to justice.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Captain Caveman wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:50 pm 90%+ Republicans support Trump. Trump is the GOP.

Go against that grain of conservatism and you're boned. See Mark Sanford for one recent example.
Again, hoping the bottom is in sight and bucking that grain of conservatism and more is up. A complete and demonstrable rejection of the co-opting the party is something that would earn my ear at this point and if it weren't so important to change the party of power, they could even earn my vote.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm very interested in fighting, but the despair I have is the realization at just how many of my fellow Americans are selfish pieces of shit, when it comes to politics. They are legion, apparently.

Additionally, a stereotypical American trait is that we want to win no matter what. WINNING. First. The Gold (nothing else matters). "If you ain't first, yer last", et al.

I see a lot of people including our so called leaders, SO FUCKING DESPERATE to "win" at any cost, that they are burning the fucking country down around them and either they don't care, or they don't realize it, they are so blind in their ambition that their side/team/guy wins. It's not one of our better attributes, and it may well have shit the bed for us as a country.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Lawbeefaroni wrote:As we learn more about how he was "elected" it gets more bleak, since this administration and our lawmakers aren't interested in stopping it happening again.
There are plenty of folks who want to stop it happening again. We just haven't had an election yet so that we can put them in power.

I may wind up being completely wrong, but I'm not sure why everyone is waving the white flag of surrender before we've even had a chance to fight the battle. Let's see what November brings, *then* we can panic.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:56 pm I'm very interested in fighting, but the despair I have is the realization at just how many of my fellow Americans are selfish pieces of shit, when it comes to politics. They are legion, apparently.

Additionally, a stereotypical American trait is that we want to win no matter what. WINNING. First. The Gold (nothing else matters). "If you ain't first, yer last", et al.

I see a lot of people including our so called leaders, SO FUCKING DESPERATE to "win" at any cost, that they are burning the fucking country down around them and either they don't care, or they don't realize it, they are so blind in their ambition that their side/team/guy wins. It's not one of our better attributes, and it may well have shit the bed for us as a country.
Agree with all of that 100%; I also think the abject voter apathy in this country is killing us as well.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:44 pm
Lawbeefaroni wrote:As we learn more about how he was "elected" it gets more bleak, since this administration and our lawmakers aren't interested in stopping it happening again.
There are plenty of folks who want to stop it happening again. We just haven't had an election yet so that we can put them in power.
[Narrator]: They would not.

I fully believe we are completely fucked at this point.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Captain Caveman wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:50 pm Go against that grain of conservatism and you're boned. See Mark Sanford for one recent example.
Can you really call plunging us into another $2+ Trillion in debt conservatism? I don't see the GOP as conservatives anymore, except in the religious sense. They've become the sort of people that drove our founders to America in the first place.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump just got SCHIFFED!
Covfefe!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I keep returning to this thought; "Those must be some really embarrassing pee tapes."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Are ANY pee tapes NOT embarrassing by nature?

I mean, outside Germany, of course?
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

You'll have to let us know when you see it.
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Archinerd wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 am I keep returning to this thought; "Those must be some really embarrassing pee tapes."
Pee tape would be amusing as hell. I'm betting it winds up being lots of money laundering and other financial stuff though.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

An exhibitionist/urolagnia(ist) might not be embarrassed. I learned a new word! But I am unsure how to turn the fetish into the word for a person who practices said fetish.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The pee tapes came to prominence when Trump was a candidate at a time where such a thing would sink a candidate. Trump has embraced his little debaucheries piece by piece ever since, and has done so in such a way as to normalize it. As I recall, the premise was that he was paying hookers to pee on the bed the Obamas had slept in. If they were released today, Trump's detractors would still detract, and Trump's supporters would likely just cheer them. They would have zero impact.

The only dirt that matters now is criminal dirt.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:10 am You'll have to let us know when you see it.
I will release a youtube review on that day.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:52 am The only dirt that matters now is criminal dirt.
...and we sincerely hope that still matters.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

New filings in the Butina case.

They arrested her based on a complaint (not an indictment) yesterday because they were afraid that she was about to flee to Russia.

More details in the indictment.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

http://time.com/5340545/bill-browder-vl ... on-sharing

I have no idea where to post what any more. These threads all bleed in one like the U2 song.
Putin offered to allow American investigators to interview the 12 Russian intelligence agents just indicted by Special Counsel Robert Mueller in exchange for allowing Russians to have access to me and those close to me. This is no idle threat. For the last ten years, I’ve been trying to avoid getting killed by Putin’s regime, and there already exists a trail of dead bodies connected to its desire to see me dead. Amazingly, Trump stood next to him, appearing to nod approvingly. He even later said that he considered it “an incredible offer.”
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That article lead to this fascinating precursor. It's chock full of stuff I never realized. For example:
Putin has a weak hand and is always bluffing. Just by meeting him, you’re giving him a huge gift. The President of the United States is the most important and powerful person in the free world; in contrast, the President of Russia is practically nobody. The Russian economy is roughly equivalent to the state of New York’s. The Russian military budget is 90% less than that of the United States, on par with the U.K. or France. All of Putin’s geopolitical theatrics are him showing his weakness. At best, he’s got a pair of twos. The United States has a full house.
:shock:
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump just declared Russia isn't targeting the US anymore. How does he know? Fuck it - who knows. And he says no one has ever been tougher on Russia. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a broken clown. He literally can't control himself.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I really do hope there's allies that have audio from the meeting he just had with Putin, because I'm pretty confident they were talking about Montenegro and how as long as Trump continues to do what he's asked, the U.S. won't be a public target by Putin.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:36 pm Trump just declared Russia isn't targeting the US anymore. How does he know? Fuck it - who knows. And he says no one has ever been tougher on Russia. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doesn’t “anymore” imply that they were doing it before. I thought that was all FAKE NEWS!!(tm)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:44 pm
It's better than that. The official line is that he was responding to a different question.
Hours later, the White House press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, said that Mr. Trump was answering a different question, and that “we believe the threat still exists.”

Jeeeeeeeeasssus.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:54 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:36 pm Trump just declared Russia isn't targeting the US anymore. How does he know? Fuck it - who knows. And he says no one has ever been tougher on Russia. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doesn’t “anymore” imply that they were doing it before. I thought that was all FAKE NEWS!!(tm)
They were targeting the U.S. before, under Obama, but Obama was weak, and Trump is strong, therefore they are not targeting the U.S. anymore #QEDMAGA
Black Lives Matter.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

No biggie, just the U.S. government saying they're considering turning over a former U.S. ambassador to Russia.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Strictly speaking it wouldn't be "turning him over". From the remarks it sounds like Russian investigators would come to the U.S. to question them, and Russia would generously allow Mueller's team to go to Russia to question the 12 intelligence officers. Basically that would give Russia (and therefore Trump) more info on what Mueller has, and would at the same time equate Mueller's investigation with made up charges against Russian dissidents.
Black Lives Matter.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Okay, slightly better but still horrifying. We're considering letting Russia question American citizens?

Selling out U.S. citizens to Russia to own the libs.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Captain Caveman wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:26 pm Okay, slightly better but still horrifying. We're considering letting Russia question American citizens?
It's fair, right? We question Russian citizens, and Russia questions American citizens. All the same!

Though Browder is apparently now a UK citizen. I guess I assume he retains his American citizenship, but we couldn't grant Russia access to him.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:28 pm Though Browder is apparently now a UK citizen.
He should probably stay clear of sushi and perfume, though.
Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:18 pm Strictly speaking it wouldn't be "turning him over". From the remarks it sounds like Russian investigators would come to the U.S. to question them, and Russia would generously allow Mueller's team to go to Russia to question the 12 intelligence officers. Basically that would give Russia (and therefore Trump) more info on what Mueller has, and would at the same time equate Mueller's investigation with made up charges against Russian dissidents.
Did they say how many of Mueller's team gets to come back to the US?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Fitzy wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:36 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:18 pm Strictly speaking it wouldn't be "turning him over". From the remarks it sounds like Russian investigators would come to the U.S. to question them, and Russia would generously allow Mueller's team to go to Russia to question the 12 intelligence officers. Basically that would give Russia (and therefore Trump) more info on what Mueller has, and would at the same time equate Mueller's investigation with made up charges against Russian dissidents.
Did they say how many of Mueller's team gets to come back to the US?
:lol:

Good point.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Enlarge Image

"Hallo. I eem here to meet with Mueller team."
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Dammit, Yuri!
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Staid conservative types who were telling people not to panic are now telling people to start panicking. That is a good thing IMO.