Chechen Authorities Arresting and Killing Gay Men

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Defiant

Chechen Authorities Arresting and Killing Gay Men

Post by Defiant »

While abuses by security services in the region, where Russia fought a two-decade war against Islamic insurgents, have long been a stain on President Vladimir V. Putin’s human rights record, gay people had not previously been targeted on a wide scale.

The men were detained “in connection with their nontraditional sexual orientation, or suspicion of such,” the newspaper, Novaya Gazeta, reported, citing Russian federal law enforcement officials, who blamed the local authorities.

By Saturday, the paper reported, and an analyst of the region with her own sources confirmed, that more than 100 gay men had been detained. The newspaper had the names of three murder victims, and suspected many others had died in extrajudicial killings.
link
Fireball

Re: Chechen Authorities Arresting and Killing Gay Men

Post by Fireball »

Man, does Mike Pence wish he could be a Chechen leader today.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Fireball wrote:Man, does Mike Pence wish he could be a Chechen leader today.
Is he on record for wanting gay people to be arrested and murdered?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Enough

Post by Enough »

Moliere wrote:
Fireball wrote:Man, does Mike Pence wish he could be a Chechen leader today.
Is he on record for wanting gay people to be arrested and murdered?
Is he on record saying horrid things about gay rights like that gay marriage signals societal collapse? For an obvious throwaway comment said in spite, I think that linkage would be plenty, no? Or are you working the Godwin angle here? If so, would him wanting to divert federal AIDs money to ex-gay conversion camps at least sort of past muster?
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enough wrote:Is he on record saying horrid things about gay rights like that gay marriage signals societal collapse? For an obvious throwaway comment said in spite, I think that linkage would be plenty, no? Or are you working the Godwin angle here? If so, would him wanting to divert federal AIDs money to ex-gay conversion camps at least sort of past muster?
He doesn't like gay people and withholding federal money for AIDS programs is the same as murdering gay people. Got it.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Enough

Post by Enough »

Moliere wrote:
Enough wrote:Is he on record saying horrid things about gay rights like that gay marriage signals societal collapse? For an obvious throwaway comment said in spite, I think that linkage would be plenty, no? Or are you working the Godwin angle here? If so, would him wanting to divert federal AIDs money to ex-gay conversion camps at least sort of past muster?
He doesn't like gay people and withholding federal money for AIDS programs is the same as murdering gay people. Got it.
Not so sure you do. Taking money meant for AIDs research/treatment and redirecting it to suicide-inducing ex-gay conversion camps is pretty fucking evil. At least good enough for an out gay person who has been friends with us on OO for years to make a throwaway jokey comment without the concern trolling you applied. Pence richly deserves being made fun of by Fireball betting Pence wishes he could be a Chechnya politico. The whole Godwin argument comparing is really only yours at this point and is overwrought.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enough wrote:
Moliere wrote:
Not so sure you do. Taking money meant for AIDs research/treatment and redirecting it to suicide-inducing ex-gay conversion camps is pretty fucking evil. At least good enough for an out gay person who has been friends with us on OO for years to make a throwaway jokey comment without the concern trolling you applied. Pence richly deserves being made fun of by Fireball betting Pence wishes he could be a Chechnya politico. The whole Godwin argument comparing is really only yours at this point and is overwrought.
I know. I get it. You don't have to keep repeating yourself. I will tow the company OO line and only critique anything Rip and em2nought post. Otherwise I will be designated with a nickname by hepcat like Rip Jr. or Mini Rip.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Moliere wrote:
Enough wrote:
Moliere wrote:
I know. I get it. You don't have to keep repeating yourself. I will tow the company OO line and only critique anything Rip and em2nought post. Otherwise I will be designated with a nickname by hepcat like Rip Jr. or Mini Rip.
Mcseriously? Come on man, we're all buddies here. Your critiques are most welcome and so are my rejoinders. Plus, I am pretty sure Hep will or has given us all nicks at some point.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Moliere wrote:
Enough wrote:
Moliere wrote:
Toe the line.

Well, unless you're going with some sort of tugboat metaphor, in which case carry on as you were.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rip

Post by Rip »

Enlarge Image
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Enough wrote:Plus, I am pretty sure Hep will or has given us all nicks at some point.
Don't encourage hepcat. At least he doesn't have film footage of you.....
....and it puts the lotion on its skin.

Ran into a friend who started the transgender op at the friendly local game store today. He is definitely a much happier person after the change. Pence would call them an abomination, but I see a person who was unhappy and has found their way. Whatever dissonance I feel is nothing compared to living it everyday, let alone being punished by the Republicans over using the bathroom.

I don't see Pence crying any tears over the Chechens. And I certainly don't see a Trump-Pence administration doing anything about it, even an ambassador's protest. Particularly after Trump endorsed similar extrajudicial attacks in the Philippines.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Moliere wrote:
Enough wrote:
Moliere wrote:
You're safe. I seldom pay any attention to you.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote:You're safe. I seldom pay any attention to you.
You're a fan of The Magicians, right?
Spoiler:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...and now everyone else understands why.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So, back to that whole Chechen thing. It never happened because it can't happen. You can't detain or murder individuals whose very existence is an impossibility.
Spokesman for Chechnya’s leader Ramzan Kadyrov, Alvi Karimov, said the report was “absolute lies and disinformation” and claimed gay people did not exist in the state.

“You cannot detain and persecute people who simply do not exist in the republic,” he told Interfax news agency.

“If there were such people in Chechnya, the law-enforcement organs wouldn’t need to have anything to do with them because their relatives would send them somewhere from which there is no returning.”

Now that reminds me of Pence.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

The irony of the above picture is that by quick glance it looks like the "C" of "dick" nailed it's namesake to the board.

Irony board? I need :coffee:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Christ, this world makes me sick to my stomach some days.
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Moliere wrote:
Enough wrote:
Moliere wrote:
Hepcat's just sweet on me. :wub: If only I rolled that way as I'm a pretty lonely guy, but alas it is not to be. :wink:
Stop funding for NPR
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

You've clearly never seen the Hair. Yes, it deserves a capital H.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sadly, it's thinning on top these days. But I plan on freezing it and putting it in storage for future generations to enjoy before it gets worse.
He won. Period.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A few politicians have condemned what has been happening including Biden, Clinton, Pelosi and Haley, one of the few people in the administration I actually admire.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Further reporting on the pogrom. I have great admiration for the Russian volunteers who are helping gay men flee Chechnya.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

But shockingly, one survivor reveals: ‘They tell the parents to kill their children.
‘They say “Either you do it, or we will.”
‘They tortured a man for two weeks [then] they summoned his parents and brothers who all came.
‘[The authorities] said to them: “Your son is a homosexual – sort it out or we’ll do it ourselves.”‘
According to the eye witness, the family took him to a forest and killed him.
They buried him there ‘but didn’t even give him a funeral,’ he said.
Just today, Russian police rounded up LGBTI activists protesting the persecution of gay men in Chechnya.
A group of ten protestors were arrested near the Anichkov Palace in St Petersburg.
link
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

At least one world leader is giving it notice.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Merkel is rapidly becoming one of my favorite world leaders. I think I'll write "Mr. Hepcat Merkel" in all my notebooks now. :wub:
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'd support her as president of the New World Order.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Maybe it's time to invite the leader of Chechnya to the White House, too.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Our Russian accountant actually became somewhat upset when someone brought up Putin's name in conjunction with this. She is adamant that Putin has no pull whatsoever in Chechnya and that people trying to drag him into this are just trying to smear his name. It was an odd and uncomfortable few minutes.
He won. Period.
Rip

Post by Rip »

If people want to blame someone I would suggest they start with this guy.

Enlarge Image
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Defiant wrote:
But shockingly, one survivor reveals: ‘They tell the parents to kill their children.
‘They say “Either you do it, or we will.”
‘They tortured a man for two weeks [then] they summoned his parents and brothers who all came.
‘[The authorities] said to them: “Your son is a homosexual – sort it out or we’ll do it ourselves.”‘
According to the eye witness, the family took him to a forest and killed him.
They buried him there ‘but didn’t even give him a funeral,’ he said.
Just today, Russian police rounded up LGBTI activists protesting the persecution of gay men in Chechnya.
A group of ten protestors were arrested near the Anichkov Palace in St Petersburg.
link
Crickets from the White House. No reason to think Donald Trump cares, or that Mike Pence disapproves.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:If people want to blame someone I would suggest they start with this guy.

Enlarge Image
History lesson time.
Ramzan Kadyrov, whom Vladimir Putin chose to govern Chechnya...
In 2011, Chechnya’s leader, Ramzan Kadyrov, who rules the republic as his own private fiefdom but remains unquestionably loyal to Russia’s President Vladimir Putin, showed off the Grozny-City complex at his extravagant thirty-fifth-birthday party. Hilary Swank and Jean-Claude Van Damme appeared onstage—for unspecified fees—to watch an acrobatics show and a concert. Asked where the money for the celebration came from, Kadyrov told reporters, “Allah gives it to us.”
“Putin thought of Kadyrov the father as a person with whom he reached a particular political agreement—their relations were honest and businesslike but ultimately political,” Chesnakov said. “But he relates to the son with a certain warmth.” With Putin’s blessing, Kadyrov claimed the throne that had been granted to his father.
No one is saying Putin directly ordered this. They're saying Putin should be telling them to cut it out since he has a considerable amount of blame in the lunatic's ascension to power.
He won. Period.