LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Racism in America (with data)

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well, Chicago now.

Lots of reports of clashes with police.

Crowds are marching on Trump tower.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daveman wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:09 pm Same thing is happening in Philadelphia, right outside city hall.

Reliable source (and long thread) on the developing situation in Philadelphia.

There's a certain amount of focus on the Frank Rizzo statue. Rizzo was the city's police commissioner (1960s) and then mayor (1970s), and he was an all-but-open racist in both roles. The statue is always a flashpoint for protest.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

malchior wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:28 pm This is reckless as all hell. Barr also knows the Minneapolis has been arresting *white supremacists*.
Barr’s integrity has been repeatedly proven to not exist.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Seeing pics of white boys in Boogaloo Hawaiian shirts among the window-breakers in Philadelphia.

Hawaiian shirts are a widespread Boogaloo signifier ("Big Luau") just as igloo images ("Big Igloo") are.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had to look up Boogaloo. I had no idea that was a thing.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My BiL will be working riot duty n Columbus tomorrow.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Last edited by malchior on Sat May 30, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I keep seeing statements that the MLK-era Civil Rights movement was nonviolent.

It was *extremely* violent: cops with guns, cops with dogs, cops with water cannons, white reactionaries with guns and bricks, KKK with all of it, etc etc.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:38 pm I keep seeing statements that the MLK-era Civil Rights movement was nonviolent.

It was *extremely* violent: cops with guns, cops with dogs, cops with water cannons, white reactionaries with guns and bricks, KKK with all of it, etc etc.
Yeah. Seriously. This time it is random violence all around. Some protestors and some police just going off the hook for no reason. That video above from SLC where the pair of police just charge around knocking down old men who happened to be nearby? WTF. This is just out of control. The police are proving the protesters right. Then the protesters prove the police right. Rinse. Repeat.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:34 pm

Water bottles are often used as projectiles. I'm not saying it was right but that's probably why they did it. Or why they'll say they did it.

Also, someone's going to go on sick leave for speed lifting with his back instead of his knees.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Seattle now on curfew from 5pm - 5am PST
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Best way to defuse claims of racism? Probably not by making it clear that African Americans aren’t a part of your idea of what makes a patriot.
“MAGA is make America great again,” Trump said. “By the way, they love African American people, they love black people. MAGA loves the black people.”
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:06 pm I had to look up Boogaloo. I had no idea that was a thing.
Previously known as Helter Skelter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:58 pm

Water bottles are often used as projectiles. I'm not saying it was right but that's probably why they did it. Or why they'll say they did it.

Also, someone's going to go on sick leave for speed lifting with his back instead of his knees.
I think it was milk staged in case tear gas was deployed and water. In any case, the police are treating this like a war so this was an interdiction mission. Which is in line with the observation that the police are paramilitary. This crisis has fully exposed yet another broken element in our society.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:53 pm
Holman wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:38 pm I keep seeing statements that the MLK-era Civil Rights movement was nonviolent.

Yeah. Seriously. This time it is random violence all around. Some protestors and some police just going off the hook for no reason. That video above from SLC where the pair of police just charge around knocking down old men who happened to be nearby? WTF. This is just out of control. The police are proving the protesters right. Then the protesters prove the police right. Rinse. Repeat.
I especially love how they went “oh shit, people are watching” and rushed over to help him up. :roll:

Here’s a live feed from the White House.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:10 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:58 pm

I think it was milk staged in case tear gas was deployed and water. In any case, the police are treating this like a war so this was an interdiction mission. Which is in line with the observation that the police are paramilitary. This crisis has fully exposed yet another broken element in our society.
Makes more sense about the milk. Stupid small screen.

And yeah, civilians are the enemy now, not the client.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Some moron in SLC tried to go Green Arrow on the crowd with what looks like a compound bow. They mobbed him, flipped his car, and set it on fire. The police retreated and let it happen. In any case, it reminds me of something an ex used to say to me, 'Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.'

In other news, word of rioting/looting in Nashville now after a mostly peaceful protest went all day.

More police idiocy. You can't even keep up with all this. The police are *completely out of control*. They are supposed to be a professional force and jurisdiction after jurisdiction we are seeing them lashing out violently.

Last edited by malchior on Sat May 30, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

This is all so bad.

Mayors and decent police leaders *everywhere* need to be stepping up and making statements about police violence. That's the cause of all this. And the other officers involved in the George Floyd murder need to be arrested right now. Right now.

Just letting it play out as rage in the streets is a huge gift to Trump and the fascists.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:18 pm Some moron in SLC tried to go Green Arrow on the crowd with what looks like a compound bow. They mobbed him, flipped his car, and set it on fire. The police retreated and let it happen. In any case, it reminds me of something an ex used to say to me, 'Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.'
Jesus Christ, I thought you might have been exaggerating. Nope.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:22 pm This is all so bad.

Mayors and decent police leaders *everywhere* need to be stepping up and making statements about police violence. That's the cause of all this. And the other officers involved in the George Floyd murder need to be arrested right now. Right now.

Just letting it play out as rage in the streets is a huge gift to Trump and the fascists.
When the police are going full Charlottesville on crowds....jeez. I fear that Trump and the fascists have the police already. This situation is terrible but it highlights that our republic could be teetering on collapse. Does Trump roll Federal troops into multiple cities? He very well might. What happens then?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isn't this how (IIRC) the state police calmed things in Ferguson after they came in to take over for the idiotic city PD?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Tear gas just deployed outside the White House
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder how many of these folk will die from COVID? No telling with all the crowds and screaming and yelling their spit.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:38 pm Tear gas just deployed outside the White House
The national guard is apparently deploying into DC as well. Time to activate the Division?
malchior

Post by malchior »

No video yet but reports that police in Minneapolis are escalating on protesters unprovoked.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not crazy. If I stay home I dont get hurt. Theres protesting then theres outright chaos led by outside influences. I wouldn't put it past Trump and the GOP to be doing stuff to use this situation for themselves. Then he can stand up and point .."See? See there? We need me to stop hooligans and make our country great again. And the old folks and MAGAs will nod""
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Military just showed up.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:54 pm
Yep, overnight curfew. LSD closed, CTA shut down.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pretty sure I just saw a fairly large structure fire due to multiple police vehicles set ablaze in Seattle on CNN. They were pushing the crowd back with tear gas.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Yes,, there was a lot of violence but MLK's organization, the SCLC, was strictly non-violent. That is what made his protests so powerful, and indeed swayed much of the nation. When see you people protesting peacefully, and being set upon by baton wielding cops and attack dogs, the protestors gain the moral authority.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Grifman wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:41 pm

Yes,, there was a lot of violence but MLK's organization, the SCLC, was strictly non-violent. That is what made his protests so powerful, and indeed swayed much of the nation. When see you people protesting peacefully, and being set upon by baton wielding cops and attack dogs, the protestors gain the moral authority.
You realize that is indeed (also) what is happening here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Another reporter arrested by Minnesota State Police. Video at the link of the encounter. This was clearly another clear attack on a member of the media only a few hours after they fired tear gas and hit a member of the MSNBC news crew with rubber bullets (not sure how close to each other the incidents were). Minnesota has major, major problems with their State Police.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Greatest hits, Chicago edition. Thus far.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

This seems like a good move.

Edit: LA has now requested the National Guard. I have a feeling the National Guard will tamp this out, eventually leave, and the fire will just restart.

malchior

Post by malchior »

DeBlasio is terrible. It would have been better for him to not comment.