Racism in America (with data)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: Racism in America (with data)

Post by Unagi »

Just get the best you can, and start what ever needs to be started.

It's not about a gun fight. It's about producing data.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:04 am Just get the best you can, and start what ever needs to be started.

It's not about a gun fight. It's about producing data.
Well what he is saying something interesting that I never thought of...that perhaps restrictions on buying arms in blue states...is related to the race of people living there. It is interesting to me. My BIL owns quite a few weapons and he has to jump through hoops every time. I haven't bothered for precisely that reason though I semi-often go shooting with him. If it wasn't such a hassle I would not mind owning and becoming proficient with my own weapons. That it could be rooted in racism seems plausible to me.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:33 pm

Why is this not being picked up by any news agency that I can find, at all ?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:42 am Today is going to be very ugly.

I am a million miles (figuratively) removed from this and I feel compelled to do something. Or at the very least, totally support anyone who does.
A number of people online have suggested donating to this group - Minnesota Freedom Fund. I haven't done any research, but you could look into it as an option.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:32 am

If the media can't independently verify its veracity, they're not going to run it.
Hodor.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:32 amWhy is this not being picked up by any news agency that I can find, at all ?
Maybe, if there was nothing else going on. I've heard people draft theories about cops trying to incite or inflame riots before, but this time it seems to have been caught on camera. I watched the video of him, and he's just totally casual about breaking windows as he walks down the line - but almost immediately flees when someone gets in his face with a camera. That would be the first "rioter" I've seen turn tail when a camera came at them. Comparing the side-by-side still shots, I have to admit the looter in the mask seems to share the visible characteristics of the cop.

It's possible he's also just an asshole who wanted to smash things while everyone was distracted and this isn't a police conspiracy.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:32 am Why is this not being picked up by any news agency that I can find, at all ?
Because it's fake and can't be sourced even a little? Please? Please?
Paingod wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:46 am It's possible he's also just an asshole who wanted to smash things while everyone was distracted and this isn't a police conspiracy.
How much does that matter at this point?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:32 am

Probably because they can't get enough sourcing on it. Like I said it was pretty thin but the part that gets me is why they don't show the odd behavior at the autozone. When it comes down to it the media is going to take the easy story over the convoluted one. Especially if it is risky and won't pan out.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paingod wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:46 am
Unagi wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:32 amWhy is this not being picked up by any news agency that I can find, at all ?
Maybe, if there was nothing else going on. I've heard people draft theories about cops trying to incite or inflame riots before, but this time it seems to have been caught on camera. I watched the video of him, and he's just totally casual about breaking windows as he walks down the line - but almost immediately flees when someone gets in his face with a camera. That would be the first "rioter" I've seen turn tail when a camera came at them. Comparing the side-by-side still shots, I have to admit the looter in the mask seems to share the visible characteristics of the cop.
Don't forget some people have identified the equipment as a $1000 professional grade gas mask. Something the random troublemaker isn't likely to have. Also, he was by himself. This was a social event except for Oswald Cobblepot with his fucking hammer.
It's possible he's also just an asshole who wanted to smash things while everyone was distracted and this isn't a police conspiracy.
Could be. The police went out of their way to say it wasn't him. But who trusts those assholes anymore?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently the police department released a statement asserting that it wasn't him. The fact that neither the accusation nor the denial is being widely reported suggests, to me, that any journalists following up on the story are trying to confirm which is true before reporting on it.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:19 am

Black reporter, though I suspect it's more a product of Trump's war on media than race making this OK, but who knows.
That is surreal.

Side note: I would advise against reading the comments in that thread. Good lord...we are so fucked.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Fri May 29, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's all too real everyday for black people. This was not unintentional.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:56 am
Paingod wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:46 am It's possible he's also just an asshole who wanted to smash things while everyone was distracted and this isn't a police conspiracy.
How much does that matter at this point?
I stand corrected. I still have high hope the whole thing isn't real and the police suggest it's not. People do shitty misinformation shit on the Internet like it's a casual joke. But if the local law enforcement make this objective statement but can't account for him, then is matters.
Our officer has been working hard, serving his community, keeping people and property safe, and protecting the right to peacefully assemble. It’s unfortunate that people would post and share this untrue information, adding more confusion to an already painful time in our community.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN's Omar Jimenez released from police custody

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:27 am

Black reporter, though I suspect it's more a product of Trump's war on media than race making this OK, but who knows.
That is surreal.

Side note: I would advise against reading the comments in that thread. Good lord...we are so fucked.
As Trump said, they are the enemy of the people. Here are the fruits of his rhetoric.

These are really fucking scary times.
18-1™ & 2-0
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trent Steel wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:35 am
Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:27 am

That is surreal.

As Trump said, they are the enemy of the people. Here are the fruits of his rhetoric.

These are really fucking scary times.
Keeping in mind there was a white reporter there as well and...they didn't get arrested. This wasn't just an enemy of the people thing.

I just saw this fly by but it is an interesting level set. She couldn't have predicted pandemic but she got the idea right.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The umbrella story may or may not be being picked up, but we need to slow down. The media keeps reporting on half-baked, questionable stories from unknown sources which then get proven false. The other side then uses that as a weapon and we dance around the fire chanting about how they should have made sure before they reported on it. Now they've got a questionable story with vague sources and aren't jumping on it and we're dancing around the fire chanting about how they should report anyway.

We either have reliable media or sensationalist media. We can't have both.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:51 am The umbrella story may or may not be being picked up, but we need to slow down. The media keeps reporting on half-baked, questionable stories from unknown sources which then get proven false. The other side then uses that as a weapon and we dance around the fire chanting about how they should have made sure before they reported on it. Now they've got a questionable story with vague sources and aren't jumping on it and we're dancing around the fire chanting about how they should report anyway.
Who is we? I'm not seeing much clamoring for them to report this to be honest here. We have one person asking why it didn't run and it isn't all that insistent. It's been discussed that it is thinly sourced.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:04 am
Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:51 am The umbrella story may or may not be being picked up, but we need to slow down. The media keeps reporting on half-baked, questionable stories from unknown sources which then get proven false. The other side then uses that as a weapon and we dance around the fire chanting about how they should have made sure before they reported on it. Now they've got a questionable story with vague sources and aren't jumping on it and we're dancing around the fire chanting about how they should report anyway.
Who is we? I'm not seeing much clamoring for them to report this to be honest here. We have one person asking why it didn't run and it isn't all that insistent. It's been discussed that it is thinly sourced.
Here at OO, yes.

Unfortunately, the guy's name and picture is being blared across nearly all other social media platforms right now. If I were him, I'd be seriously concerned for my life.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:13 am Unfortunately, the guy's name and picture is being blared across nearly all other social media platforms right now. If I were him, I'd be seriously concerned for my life.
Ditto, and honestly that ain't right. I mean this is when doxxing is legit. The one time. Police abuse to incite lawlessness. But if it's a fake...

I won't condemn until there is more than a twitter feed. However, looking at the walls of people I know, they are not in the same place.

I fucking hate this timeline.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Enough

Post by Enough »

Is it freaking June yet? Just wait for the militias to jump into action now...
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I prefer the term the French use, "manifestation".

Literally, this is a manifestation of frustration, anger, powerlessness, etc. Not individually; some are demonstrating, others looting, others getting likes on livestreams. But as a city or society it's a reckoning.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Reports are coming out they just picked up Chauvin. Hopefully that calms tensions.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ordered by Minnesota DPS so it's the state stepping in.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pathetic. The true believers heard the dog whistle. Mission accomplished.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watching his supporters scrambling for the "This is what he always meant, and you're the real racist if you took it any other way" off-ramp (like they always do) makes me all stabby.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah. Membership in the cult comes with responsibilities. It drives me crazy too. It was interesting to watch him just run away from his ridiculous announcement like a little baby so this is the official word for now. He is such a tiresome piece of shit.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It was spoken as a fact, not as a statement.
So eloquent. He's a veritable Yogi Berra, only Berra got this one right "The future ain’t what it used to be."
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:04 am
Yes. My original question was meant as wondering if the story was true, not ‘why the hell are they keeping this quiet’
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

i guess this makes more sense here.

The phrase President Trump tweeted goes back to the Civil Rights Era.

It was used by a white police chief with "a long history of bigotry against the black community," a scholar explains. And a segregationist politician.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Does this mean what it looks like it means? The official autopsy is blaming pre-existing conditions rather than the cop choking him?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:56 pm

Does this mean what it looks like it means? The official autopsy is blaming pre-existing conditions rather than the cop choking him?
Since the force was provided by the cop so he can’t completely weasel out of it.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

What does any potential intoxicants mean? Is that normal autopsy talk?

I don't think I can watch the video so I don't think I can weigh in on if the force was excessive. The picture was already too much for me.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:56 pm

That was my takeaway as well. Really hoping I’m misunderstanding that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN, includes the charging sheet.
The following are passages taken directly from the complaint:

-- It says the initial police call was over a counterfeit $20 bill: "On May 25, 2020, someone called 911 and reported that a man bought merchandise from Cup Foods at 3759 Chicago Avenue in Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota with a counterfeit $20 bill."

-- The document says Floyd was non-compliant: "Mr. Floyd did not voluntarily get in the car and struggled with the officers by intentionally falling down, saying he was not going in the car, and refusing to stand still."

-- It specifies how Chauvin knelt on Floyd: "The defendant placed his left knee in the area of Mr. Floyd's head and neck."

-- It notes that such restraint is dangerous: "Police are trained that this type of restraint with a subject in a prone position is inherently dangerous."

-- It documents what Floyd said: "Mr. Floyd said, "I can't breathe" multiple times and repeatedly said, "Mama" and "please," as well. The defendant and the other two officers stayed in their positions."

-- It says Floyd had underlying health issues: "The autopsy revealed no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation. Mr. Floyd had underlying health conditions including coronary artery disease and hypertensive heart disease."

-- It says three factors contributed to this death: "The combined effects of Mr. Floyd being restrained by the police, his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:19 pm -- It says three factors contributed to this death: "The combined effects of Mr. Floyd being restrained by the police, his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death."
Shouldn't the autopsy process (i.e. blood tests, etc) be able give a pretty definitive "yes" or "no" answer as to whether he had intoxicants in his system?

It feels awfully suspect for them to throw in a "well, he might have been high, so..." as a potential out.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:26 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:19 pm -- It says three factors contributed to this death: "The combined effects of Mr. Floyd being restrained by the police, his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death."
Shouldn't the autopsy process (i.e. blood tests, etc) be able give a pretty definitive "yes" or "no" answer as to whether he had intoxicants in his system?

It feels awfully suspect for them to throw in a "well, he might have been high, so..." as a potential out.
It is what I expected to be honest. That is why the family will have an independent autopsy most likely. This is pretty close to setting up the usual bullshit 'excited delirium' out for the cops. I'll wait to see a medical legal expert weigh in but this sounds like they set up a case to charge the guy but not convict. They'll also move the case out to a white suburb like the Philando Castile so that he'll get 10 or 11 middle aged white people. It's early but this system makes it very difficult to get justice for black people killed by police. Anyway we'll see but I would bet money this does not get a conviction.
Last edited by malchior on Fri May 29, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ex-mi ... spartanntp

He's being charged with murder and manslaughter.
Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman says former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin has been charged with murder and manslaughter.
Walz and other state and city leaders were silent for much of the previous evening, leading to widespread criticism that they weren’t doing enough to respond to the fires and destruction happening across the city.
President Donald Trump weighed in, criticizing the city for a “total lack of leadership and saying he would send in the federal troops to “get the job done right.”
Walz called Trump’s remarks — including a tweet that referred to shooting looters — “unhelpful.”