Racism in America (with data)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Racism in America (with data)

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess this belongs here?
A social media comment with racial undertones made by a Mississippi election commissioner sparked outrage across the state on the same weekend state legislators voted to retire the flag and its Confederate emblem.

"I'm concerned about voter registration in Mississippi," the commissioner wrote. "The blacks are having lots (of) events for voter registration. People in Mississippi have to get involved, too."
So what happened?
She said in an interview Monday that she thought she was sending a private message, but the comment was shared publicly on Facebook.

"This was an error on my part," she said.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

So she literally said the quiet part out loud?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I like that she thought it would be ok to send that as a private message. That she differentiates between “the Blacks” and “People”.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

In this instance, I would support her being cancelled.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:57 pm I like that she thought it would be ok to send that as a private message. That she differentiates between “the Blacks” and “People”.
The error was not in what she said but how she sent the message :doh:
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:34 pm
She said in an interview Monday that she thought she was sending a private message, but the comment was shared publicly on Facebook.

"This was an error on my part," she said.
In what reality does someone see that as acceptable? Oh, if only she had kept it private that she (a person charged with overseeing the election) sees a need for "People in Mississippi" (set in juxtaposition) to get involved to counteract voter registration for "The blacks."

But mail in voting? That's going to be downfall of elections in the US?
malchior

Post by malchior »

I totally wonder if you can't get that job in that locality without harboring these views. Hmm...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Trump presidency.

And this is where we are, not sure if a Nazi shout-out goes in the racism thread or the thread about the president of the United States.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:coffee:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:16 pm In what reality does someone see that as acceptable?
Have you been to white Mississippi?

I have cousins there named (in birth order) Robert, Edward, and Lee.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The article was blocked - how is the baseball racist?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's $88. 88 is code for HH (Heil Hitler) and, despite the availability of several color options, the primary displayed option is a very black-looking "navy" with red stitching.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:17 pm It's $88. 88 is code for HH (Heil Hitler) and, despite the availability of several color options, the primary displayed option is a very black-looking "navy" with red stitching.
Those asshats must stay up late to come up with this garbage. It would be bad enough as a stand-alone, but this fuckery is endorsed by the President of the United States. Worst timeline ever.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Protesters are blocking the road to Mt. Rushmore with vans going so far as to remove wheels to make them hard to move. It is fairly peaceful. Apparently the goal was to delay Trump's arrival. It isn't really being covered live except by a stream I found from a canary. Some of the more tolerant comments are due to that.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

He should fly in by helicopter and speak to a handful of native Americans.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

I won't post the video but someone tried to murder protesters in Seattle by driving into a crowd who had occupied a closed I-5 in a planned approved protest. The driver struck 2 and its a miracle they are alive. The police say they drove up an onramp in the wrong direction by driving around barricades. That is why this sounds pretty intentional and the police have said the driver was not impaired when they were taken into custody.

Edit: The original video is rife with a lot of MAGAts cheering on this attempted murder.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

A large number of armed largely African American protesters marched to Stone Mountain State Park in Georgia, home to a large relief carving of Jefferson Davis, RE Lee, and Stonewall Jackson, with their leader daring the KKK to show up:

While I can appreciate the irony, I still am not in favor of any armed protesters, whether it is right wing "Re-Open" militias or left wing BLM groups. Either one is a stack of kindling just needing a spark for something terrible to happen.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I totally agree. We are seeing a marked increase in tensions here and paramilitary groups are continuing to grow in influence. We still are marching on a dangerous path.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:21 am I won't post the video but someone tried to murder protesters in Seattle by driving into a crowd who had occupied a closed I-5 in a planned approved protest. The driver struck 2 and its a miracle they are alive. The police say they drove up an onramp in the wrong direction by driving around barricades. That is why this sounds pretty intentional and the police have said the driver was not impaired when they were taken into custody.

Edit: The original video is rife with a lot of MAGAts cheering on this attempted murder.
Now it's an accomplished murder. One of the victims died overnight. The other is in critical condition.

But it's BLM who are the violent extremists, amiright?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't even know where to put this stuff anymore. I posted a video in the R&P thread, but here is the news article:
A video has gone viral of an Oregon State Police [OSP] trooper throwing a white power hand symbol at Saturday’s Black Lives Matter rally in Salem. The counter-protestors at the rally included members of Proud Boys, Three Percenters, Boogaloo Boys, Patriot Prayer and other extreme right-wing groups. They had semi-automatic rifles, handguns, knives, magazines, bear spray and mace.

This past Wednesday, a quartet of OSP troopers refused to follow Kate Brown’s mask mandate when entering a Corvallis coffee shop. The officers were condemned by the public and chastised on social media by OSP. One of them is on paid administrative leave and an investigation is being conducted into the incident.

OSP has told people lodging complaints against the trooper throwing the white power symbol at the Black Lives Matter event that the situation is being actively investigated. They have not announced whether the trooper will be placed on administrative leave while the investigation is pending. They have also not stated what disciplinary action, if any, will be taken.
It crosses so many topics, but sure, let's post this here.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

All I can say is thank Apple, Samsung and whoever else who turned our phones into cameras. And thank God that racists still haven's figured out that they are always being watched and filmed.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:58 am
malchior wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:21 am I won't post the video but someone tried to murder protesters in Seattle by driving into a crowd who had occupied a closed I-5 in a planned approved protest. The driver struck 2 and its a miracle they are alive. The police say they drove up an onramp in the wrong direction by driving around barricades. That is why this sounds pretty intentional and the police have said the driver was not impaired when they were taken into custody.

Now it's an accomplished murder. One of the victims died overnight. The other is in critical condition.

But it's BLM who are the violent extremists, amiright?
There is no known motive and the driver is black, so I'm not sure if this is a case of the protesters being targeted intentionally.

Also no evidence of intoxication.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Grifman wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:27 pm All I can say is thank Apple, Samsung and whoever else who turned our phones into cameras. And thank God that racists still haven's figured out that they are always being watched and filmed.
You want to be thanking Philippe Kahn, inventor of the camera phone and my wife’s old boss.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Kahn
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

This may have been posted but this is getting out of hand on both sides

https://youtu.be/skGh_5tVJZg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have no sympathy for either party in that video. Both seem to be pretty annoying jerks.
He won. Period.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:53 pm I have no sympathy for either party in that video. Both seem to be pretty annoying jerks.
Agree
malchior

Post by malchior »

Look at these fools losing their minds. Scene: Martinez, CA. Background: BLM got permission to paint Black Lives Matters on the street in the front of the courthouse there.

Also, they've had an incident where someone pulled a gun on the activists.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, I can’t imagine anyone is just allowed to stand outside the courthouse and dump paint on the street.

If the BLM movement was given permission to paint the mural, where are the police stopping these people from painting over it.

(Also, it’s humorous to me to see her painting over just the letters here, where she is basically just changing the mural’s color. I imagine she eventually went to more of a -redacted- look. )
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

The amount of hate, anger and lack of self esteem in that woman has to be enormous. I'm sure she goes to church every Sunday though and thoroughly believes that she is not racist.
FTE
malchior

Post by malchior »

Scraper wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:19 am The amount of hate, anger and lack of self esteem in that woman has to be enormous. I'm sure she goes to church every Sunday though and thoroughly believes that she is not racist.
Her husband is a treat too - when he engaged he says some really choice things.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It must be exhausting to constantly have to explain how everything you dislike in life is a conspiracy from the liberal media, fake news, left-wing agitators, etc. How do people live like that? Just walking around constantly fearful and hating this invisible enemy.
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:49 am It must be exhausting to constantly have to explain how everything you dislike in life is a conspiracy from the liberal media, fake news, left-wing agitators, etc. How do people live like that? Just walking around constantly fearful and hating this invisible enemy.
That's where something like QAnon comes from. It flips the narrative from "The world is full of evil Fake News Antifa Pedophile Lizard People" to "I am part of a secret army fighting for Good."

It's radicalizing logic, and the next step is "The end justifies the means."
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:49 am It must be exhausting to constantly have to explain how everything you dislike in life is a conspiracy from the liberal media, fake news, left-wing agitators, etc. How do people live like that? Just walking around constantly fearful and hating this invisible enemy.
Because it's easy. They can blame everything they dislike on a nefarious "other", without having to explain the root causes of why they don't like it. Since those root causes are often based on some ugly prejudices, using "FAKE NEWS" and "those damn liberals" as a blanket prevents them from ever having to actually examine why they don't like something.

The more baffling part is they seem to think others can't see right through it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:58 am (Also, it’s humorous to me to see her painting over just the letters here, where she is basically just changing the mural’s color. I imagine she eventually went to more of a -redacted- look. )
I snickered when she called for "the other can" of paint after not quite covering up one letter. You're going to need another trip to Home Depot.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

malchior wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:06 am Look at these fools losing their minds. Scene: Martinez, CA. Background: BLM got permission to paint Black Lives Matters on the street in the front of the courthouse there.

Also, they've had an incident where someone pulled a gun on the activists.

"Racism is a lie," he says as he helps convey a message of effectively "black lives don't matter."
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This calls for a citizen's arrest!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When you show up to do manual labor wearing goddamn flip-flops you're either not serious or a complete idiot. Maybe both.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Not to mention the long black dress...
malchior

Post by malchior »

Counter statue incidents? I wonder if Trump will demand they receive 10-year prison sentences? Also, Rochester, NY was easily by leaps and bounds the most racist place I ever lived. It was open and everywhere. Black, hispanic, or Jew they hated them all. I literally heard 'white power' chants multiple times while I lived there. I had to throw a former roommate out of my house when he got in my face about the fact was grandfather was jewish. A lovely place.