The end of American democracy?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Papa Smurph

The end of American democracy?

Post by Papa Smurph »

Five Reasons Why the Comey Affair Is Worse Than Watergate - The Atlantic -
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ate/526443

I think all of this ends in only two possible ways: a few (up to now unseen) principled Republicans put country before party and Trump is impeached, or the great experiment that was American democracy ends in failure.

Thoughts?
Kraken

Re: The end of American democracy?

Post by Kraken »

We're definitely in a historical crisis. What worries me most is that our fate is in the hands of those that I least trust.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Stop funding for NPR
Holman

Post by Holman »

Website seems legit. Come for the political commentary, stay for the anti-vaxx pseudoscience.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Papa Smurph

Post by Papa Smurph »

Yeah, that link is pretty funny. I love that they claim the House Un-American Activities Committee was formed to root out Nazi's, because Trump is buddies with Putin so we don't want to admit it was actually to root out communists. It then calls for Trump to "reactivate" the committee, but that's impossible because it was abolished in 1975. It would need to be recreated, not simply reactivated.

And, yes, a new era of McCarthyism is exactly what we need! Good call, em2nought!
tgb

Post by tgb »

I thought Holmes was referring to the Atlantic link and couldn't understand what he was talking about Now I get it. I have em2nought on ignore, so didn't see what he posted (nor do I want to).
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:We're definitely in a historical crisis. What worries me most is that our fate is in the hands of those that I least trust.
I still don't see us in crisis but I do see us at a crossroad with crisis looming on one side.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

tgb wrote: I have em2nought on ignore, so didn't see what he posted (nor do I want to).
It's the usual stuff. He's disappointed in Republican voters who elected a reality TV star, he doesn't understand why people aren't seeing through Trump's attempts to demonize immigrants for the sake of populism, and he's worried that our country is heading down a very dark path with the previously unheard of levels of nepotism and cronyism that Trump is bringing to Washington.

Also, he's confused by magnets.
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

we had a whole thread on "naturalnews.com" here (when google delisted this site from their search index. the truth is being suppressed!!)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

tgb wrote: I have em2nought on ignore, so didn't see what he posted (nor do I want to).
https://www.truthmonitor.com/2017/05/ms ... ls-ignore/
Stop funding for NPR
raydude

Post by raydude »

em2nought wrote:
What I can't ignore is that doing a search for "Trump" reveals that it is only in the headline.

Sad!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

raydude wrote:
em2nought wrote:
What I can't ignore is that doing a search for "Trump" reveals that it is only in the headline.

Sad!
:lol:

We could just as easily change Trump to Lyndon B Johnson in that headline and it would still work. Is that a site for people who don't like to read or something?
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

em2nought wrote:
This is typical Facebook fake news fare. Make up a headline to draw clicks, while the body of the "article" has absolutely nothing to do with the title.

Do you even read articles that you link to? If you did, you wouldn't embarrass yourself like this.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grifman wrote:
em2nought wrote:
This is typical Facebook fake news fare. Make up a headline to draw clicks, while the body of the "article" has absolutely nothing to do with the title.

Do you even read articles that you link to? If you did, you wouldn't embarrass yourself like this.
To be embarrassed requires a sense of shame. Just sayin'.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken