The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Holman »

Tallying known contacts between the Trump campaign and Russian agents: More than you think.
Overall statistics

At least 12 Trump associates had contacts with Russians during the campaign or transition.
There were at least 19 face-to-face interactions with Russians or Kremlin-linked figures.
There were at least 51 communications -- meetings, phone calls, email exchanges and more.
This flies in the face of at least nine blanket denials from Trump world of any contacts with Russia.
Of course this is just what's known. All this week there has been buzz about Mueller looking into contacts that haven't been made public at all.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Hidden History of Trump’s First Trip to Moscow
In 1987, a young real estate developer traveled to the Soviet Union. The KGB almost certainly made the trip happen.

It was 1984 and General Vladimir Alexandrovich Kryuchkov had a problem. The general occupied one of the KGB’s most exalted posts. He was head of the First Chief Directorate, the prestigious KGB arm responsible for gathering foreign intelligence.

Kryuchkov had begun his career with five years at the Soviet mission in Budapest under Ambassador Yuri Andropov. In 1967 Andropov became KGB chairman. Kryuchkov went to Moscow, took up a number of sensitive posts, and established a reputation as a devoted and hardworking officer. By 1984, Kryuchkov’s directorate in Moscow was bigger than ever before—12,000 officers, up from about 3,000 in the 1960s. His headquarters at Yasenevo, on the wooded southern outskirts of the city, was expanding: Workmen were busy constructing a 22-story annex and a new 11-story building.

In politics, change was in the air. Soon a new man would arrive in the Kremlin, Mikhail Gorbachev. Gorbachev’s policy of detente with the West—a refreshing contrast to the global confrontation of previous general secretaries—meant the directorate’s work abroad was more important than ever.

Kryuchkov faced several challenges. First, a hawkish president, Ronald Reagan, was in power in Washington. The KGB regarded his two predecessors, Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter, as weak. By contrast Reagan was seen as a potent adversary. The directorate was increasingly preoccupied with what it believed—wrongly—was an American plot to conduct a preemptive nuclear strike against the USSR.

It was around this time that Donald Trump appears to have attracted the attention of Soviet intelligence. How that happened, and where that relationship began, is an answer hidden somewhere in the KGB's secret archives. Assuming, that is, that the documents still exist.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

I dumped this story in the Russia thread but it indeed opens a lot of questions. On top of that we have an hour long conservation with putin yesterday. They spoke for an hour about Syria? Really? And they still haven't implemented the new Russian sanctions. This couldn't stink more.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:09 pm I dumped this story in the Russia thread but it indeed opens a lot of questions. On top of that we have an hour long conservation with putin yesterday. They spoke for an hour about Syria? Really? And they still haven't implemented the new Russian sanctions. This couldn't stink more.
Oops, I missed that post. I plead Desert Bus Distraction Syndrome as my defense. :)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

What's insanely scary is that when you look at Trump's actions through the prism of Russian influence, he's systematically dismantling everything that would put America at the forefront of global leadership. Environment/climate issues - kill it. FCC and net neutrality - kill it. Put a complete moron as our head of education. Put inexperienced, unqualified people in every Cabinet position. Actively encourage and exploit partisanship, racism, sexism, etc.

We are watching Russia win a war against us without firing a shot. The damage Trump's doing will take decades to fix, even if he doesn't finish his term.

Gotta hand it to Putin though. It was an ingenious plan. He truly is a Bond super-villain.
malchior

Post by malchior »

And all he has to keep doing is tell Trump how great he is.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We are living through a dire historical moment with little evidence that normalcy can be restored. I can only see two potential lifelines: The Mueller investigation, and the midterms a year from now.

What's even more worrisome is that all of the liberal democracies are in crises of their own. The last firewall was (ironically) Merkel's Germany, and now even that is reeling.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know it's wrong to wish ill will, but I really do hope this news consumes Trump's golfing holiday extended weekend:
Lawyers for Michael T. Flynn, President Trump’s former national security adviser, notified the president’s legal team in recent days that they could no longer discuss the special counsel’s investigation, according to four people involved in the case, an indication that Mr. Flynn is cooperating with prosecutors or negotiating such a deal.

That agreement has been terminated, the four people said. Defense lawyers frequently share information during investigations, but they must stop when doing so would pose a conflict of interest. It is unethical for lawyers to work together when one client is cooperating with prosecutors and another is still under investigation.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

It isn't wrong in this case. Any investigation that might end this nightmare administration is something to be thankful for.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

And I read that the Flynn news was dropped on Donny’s 100th day spent at Trump owner property (at tax payers expense) on the day his lawyer told him the Mueller investigation would wrap up. I expect some angry trump tweets while his strains to pass the turkey in the morning.

BIGGEST WITCH HUNT OF ALL TIME!! SAD!!
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

While I'm as impatient as the next guy for the endgame, I also enjoy the water-torture aspect.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:07 pm While I'm as impatient as the next guy for the endgame, I also enjoy the water-torture aspect.
If I could see the veins bulging on his forehead, it would brighten my day.

It's probably too much to hope for, but I'd love to see him come out of the WH poorer than he went in. Or in Jail. That would be ok too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So much of this administration bothers me ...some scares me. But his Tweeting is the thing that hits me most. He simply says whatever is on his addled mind. He doesn't seem to think them through. He doesn't seem to care what he says. And worst of all he doesn't seem to consider what he says is VERY un presidential and very unprofessional. He's like some child with a electronic crayon and a low IQ.

Then there are Americans that see him do no wrong. We are an embarrassment to the world and Im really hating it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

His tweets are the best thing about him. Not only is he advertising his insanity to the voters, his impulsiveness in his tweets is building a huge stack of evidence that may be able to be used against him. Please, Donnie-baby, tweet your little heart out!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Case in point - does anyone have other examples of when alleged criminals have taunted federal prosecutors as a viable strategy? This is no longer ignorance, it's absolutely arrogance.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

All I want for Hanukah is a Flynn cooperation agreement with Mueller.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Something on his mind?
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

He's so woefully out of his depth.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:36 pm

Something on his mind?
Every American should prepare for some free Canadian bacon coming our way as the spoils of victory.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Holman

Post by Holman »

Word just now is that Flynn has been indicted and will plead guilty to charges of lying to the FBI.

Given everything else it's known that Mueller has on him, this means Flynn has rolled over and rolled over Bigly. That the deal is being settled now means that Mueller thinks he has enough from Flynn to move on up the chain.

Epic WH tweet storm in 3,2,1...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Up the chain means Trump, right? Or are people like Sessions and Kushner next?

In either case, shit just got real. Flynn should know just about everything and he's cooperating with Mueller for this plea deal (he certainly could've been charged with a lot more).

So Mueller gets fired now, right?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Captain Caveman wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:29 am (he certainly could've been charged with a lot more).
That's the surest sign to me that this is some significant shit. One count of lying to the FBI? That's some weak sauce. And not likely just because it's the strongest sauce they've got in the fridge. #weirdanalogies
Holman

Post by Holman »

This comes at the end of a week in which further info about the Gulen kidnapping plan and other Turkish schemes involving Flynn were coming to light. Whatever he has given Mueller, it was enough to write off some blockbuster-level crimes.

Kushner Week might come sooner than we think. That's when Trump tries to fire Mueller.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I totally agree - this means he likely has the goods. Also Mueller probably is still dangling the FARA violations out there too.
Captain Caveman

This strikes me as a much bigger deal than the Manafort indictment. An indictment is the end of the line, but this is a plea deal which signifies ongoing cooperation. And from a central figure no less, who must be providing a lot of evidence on bigger fish... and there aren't too many bigger fish than a national security advisor.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

It’s a Flynn Friday!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
malchior

Post by malchior »

:coffee:

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:28 am Source.
This came as news to me:
Though [Flynn] wasn't initially considered for the top job, Trump's daughter, Ivanka Trump, and son-in-law Jared Kushner made it clear to the Trump transition team that they wanted him there, CNN has reported.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Should we be getting our hopes up already? What are the chances that he is only charged with lying to the FBI because that's all that Mueller can prove at this point?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's always a delicious, delicious treat when someone who so vocally opposes something is discovered to be so vocal in order to distract from their own attunement with that thing. Flynn and criminal politics. Priests and homosexuality. Trump and his opposition to presidents playing golf.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Captain Caveman

msteelers wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:53 am Should we be getting our hopes up already? What are the chances that he is only charged with lying to the FBI because that's all that Mueller can prove at this point?
Doubtful. The dude was just caught planning a freaking kidnapping while national security advisor. He's been on the payroll of some shady motherfuckers. He was in contact with Russians making deals to lessen sanctions. The guy was central to a lot, and the fact that he's only getting charged with lying means that he's singing... and has been for some time.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Captain Caveman wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:55 am
msteelers wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:53 am Should we be getting our hopes up already? What are the chances that he is only charged with lying to the FBI because that's all that Mueller can prove at this point?
Doubtful. The dude was just caught planning a freaking kidnapping while national security advisor. He's been on the payroll of some shady motherfuckers. He was in contact with Russians making deals to lessen sanctions. The guy was central to a lot, and the fact that he's only getting charged with lying means that he's singing.
But that's the thing that gets me. The National Security Advisor planning a kidnapping while in office is a huge friggin deal. Would Mueller let that go entirely just to flip on somebody higher up the chain?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

msteelers wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:03 am
Doubtful. The dude was just caught planning a freaking kidnapping while national security advisor. He's been on the payroll of some shady motherfuckers. He was in contact with Russians making deals to lessen sanctions. The guy was central to a lot, and the fact that he's only getting charged with lying means that he's singing.
But that's the thing that gets me. The National Security Advisor planning a kidnapping while in office is a huge friggin deal. Would Mueller let that go entirely just to flip on somebody higher up the chain?
If it's the best way to nail multiple people up the chain, sure.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Captain Caveman wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:46 am This strikes me as a much bigger deal than the Manafort indictment. An indictment is the end of the line, but this is a plea deal which signifies ongoing cooperation. And from a central figure no less, who must be providing a lot of evidence on bigger fish... and there aren't too many bigger fish than a national security advisor.
And it's not just that he's a National Security Adviser, it's also that Trump has treated him way differently than others in his inner circle. Pressuring Comey to back off of him, firing Comey when he didn't, continuing to speak well of Flynn after firing him (whereas everyone else who gets pushed out has gotten the "who is that guy again?" treatment.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

One might think you're suggesting the Orange Mancheeto has a guilty conscience.

That would require a minimal level of humanity, though.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:08 am
If it's the best way to nail multiple people up the chain, sure.
There are a couple other possibilities too:

(1) The kidnapping story in the press isn't correct and/or has a few key parts wrong - like, what if Flynn wasn't planning some private kidnapping, but instead was planning on extraditing Gulen as part of a legal (if shady) process?
(2) Mueller can't find enough proof linking Flynn to the kidnapping scheme;
(3) Flynn has enough on Trump (or maybe on several other figures like Kushner, Trump Jr., etc.) to have them dead to rights.

It's *possible* that this indictment is all that Mueller could prove on Flynn, but that seems super unlikely, given the earlier indications of Flynn-Mueller cooperation, and that there was so much other indicators of Flynn guilt around (if *nothing* else, Flynn was also dead-to-rights on FARA violations).
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:18 am One might think you're suggesting the Orange Mancheeto has a guilty conscience.

That would require a minimal level of humanity, though.
Well, it's more that he's conscious of how guilty he is, and of how much Flynn knows.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I share your doubts here. I'd feel a lot better if Flynn were cutting a plea deal AND being charged with something a little more substantive.

Of course, it's possible that he's getting such an easy go of it because the info he has is blockbuster good, but I'm not sure how we have any way of knowing that at this point.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳