The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:26 pm
JUST NOW: Trump, asked if he still wants to testify before Mueller: “Yes. I would like to.”
C'mon cmon...

Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Facebook-Cambridge Analytica 'Scandal' Is a Nothingburger
The theory goes something like this: Facebook obtained information on users who took a personality quiz with their online friends. Another outlet, the advertising firm Cambridge Analytica, harvested that information, brainwashed a bunch of rubes and then yada, yada, yada...Russia! Former Cambridge Analytica contractor Christopher Wylie told CNN that while at the company, he helped build a "psychological warfare weapon" to "exploit mental vulnerabilities that our algorithms showed that (Facebook users) had." So, in other words, he worked in the advertising business.
Here's a thought: If you're uncomfortable with data mining and your information being shared, don't take surveys. Because, guess what, you don't have to be on Facebook. You don't have to use Twitter. You don't have a constitutional right to play FarmVille without answering a survey. You don't get free stuff. The very existence of social media and tech companies is predicated on mining data so that they, or third parties, can sell you things. That has always been the deal.
By constantly using the word "breach," reporters are trying to insinuate that someone stole voter data that typically was off-limits. Cambridge Analytica was allowed to pull that profile data. Facebook only changed its policy in early 2015. But before the general election, the Trump campaign dropped Cambridge Analytica for the Republican National Committee data, reportedly never using the any of the "psychographic" information. According to CBS News, in September 2016, it had "tested the RNC data, and it proved to be vastly more accurate."

Even if the campaign hadn't, however, its efforts would have been akin to those being heralded as revolutionary when serving the interests of Democrats. In fact, Facebook allowed the Obama campaign to harvest data in the same way that is now generating headlines and handwringing. Do you remember any outrage and trepidation over the privacy and manipulation of your thoughts in 2012? The only consistent position the left seems to take these days is that the mechanisms it uses to keep power automatically transform into something nefarious and undemocratic when the opposition uses them. If anything, there should be concerned about the ideological double standards of yet another tech giant.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Whataboutism: The reason the frog never realizes the pot is boiling.

I mean if each incremental increase in malfeasance is excused because something kinda similar was done before by the other side, well, welcome to frog stew, starting you, dumbass American party loyalist.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That article shows a profound misunderstanding of the Cambridge Analytica brouhaha. It isn't that folks who took the survey had their info used. It's that *all of their friends did, too*, without doing anything other than being friends with the rubes. Now sure, you can say Facebook bogeyman yadda yadda, but it's an entirely different premise than just some folks taking a quiz from a company that misused their data.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Wow, that article misses some important details in the spectacular fashion I've come to expect from "Reason".

In addition to what Zaxxon mentioned, while academics were allowed to access that extra user data for research purposes, they aren't allowed to resell it, which is what happened when the researcher allowed the data collected through his quiz to be used by CA. The rules were changed after the Obama campaign used Facebook for data in a similar way, but before CA did it.

Not noting those distinctions in the article makes me question either the author's competence or biases... take your pick.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:26 pm
JUST NOW: Trump, asked if he still wants to testify before Mueller: “Yes. I would like to.”
Up next:
Trump says "I thought he said 'Do you want to test out a mullet'..."
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I like the text on the image. Implying either that you should eliminate witnesses or that it shouldn't matter that someone saw you commit a crime.
Black Lives Matter

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:10 am I like the text on the image. Implying either that you should eliminate witnesses or that it shouldn't matter that someone saw you commit a crime.
Do you know who Bob Loblaw is?
Hodor.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:08 am
Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:10 am I like the text on the image. Implying either that you should eliminate witnesses or that it shouldn't matter that someone saw you commit a crime.
He probably needs to read Bob Loblaw's Law Blog.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:14 am
pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:08 am
He probably needs to read Bob Loblaw's Law Blog.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hodor.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Never seen Arrested Development. I suppose I should go sit in the corner for a while... :ninja:
Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:09 pm Never seen Arrested Development. I suppose I should go sit in the corner for a while... :ninja:
Whaaa?! Yes, sit in the corner while streaming it.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:09 pm Never seen Arrested Development. I suppose I should go sit in the corner for a while... :ninja:
Neither have I. I had to google it. :oops:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Remus West wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:06 pm Neither have I. I had to google it. :oops:
I had to wait patiently while one of you did it.

I've seen episodes here and there, but I still had no idea who Bob Loblaw was. I assume someone calls him Boblob Law, because funny.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I watched the original run. It was okay. I didn't feel strongly enough about it to watch the resurrected season.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:41 pm I watched the original run. It was okay. I didn't feel strongly enough about it to watch the resurrected season.
I watched the first few episodes of the resurrected season. It wasn't very good.

But the original run was solid.
Black Lives Matter.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Whoa, whoa there! This thread is moving uncomfortably close to EBG!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Here, I'll tie it back in.

Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:43 pm
Chaz wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:41 pm I watched the original run. It was okay. I didn't feel strongly enough about it to watch the resurrected season.
I watched the first few episodes of the resurrected season. It wasn't very good.

It was a mistake since they couldn't resolve cast scheduling differences. It is an ensemble show...so...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:02 pm Here, I'll tie it back in.

Enlarge Image
This could also apply:

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:14 pm
Remus West wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:06 pm Neither have I. I had to google it. :oops:
I had to wait patiently while one of you did it.

I've seen episodes here and there, but I still had no idea who Bob Loblaw was. I assume someone calls him Boblob Law, because funny.
They don't need to. Bob Loblaw works for teh funny.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

There were some rough spots in the original season too. I really don't think the Charlize Theron plot line was all that great.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:27 pm

There were some rough spots in the original season too. I really don't think the Charlize Theron plot line was all that great.
\

The second season is perhaps the best season of any sitcom ever. But yeah the 4th season was pretty terrible. There is a rumor going around that someone involved remixed the 4th season and made it more cohesive, but who knows if we'll ever see that version.

Anyway can we get back to Trump being investigated now?
FTE
malchior

Post by malchior »

Where Politico does something useful and sounds the alarm that attacks on Mueller seem coordinated.
When President Donald Trump lashed out against Robert Mueller by name earlier this month, the president’s supporters sprang into action—treating the chief Russia investigator to political campaign-style opposition research.

Within hours, the Drudge Report featured a story blaming Mueller, the special counsel leading the Justice Department’s Russia probe, for the FBI’s clumsy investigation into the 2001 anthrax attacks when Mueller ran the bureau. The independent pro-Trump journalist Sara Carter posted a story charging that Mueller, as a federal prosecutor in Boston in the mid-1980s, had covered up the FBI’s dealings with the Mafia informant Whitey Bulger. Carter was soon discussing her findings in prime time with Fox News host Sean Hannity.

Meanwhile, Trump supporters on Twitter circulated video of testimony Mueller gave to Congress ahead of the 2003 Iraq War in which he endorsed the view, later proven false, that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction.

To some, the barrage looked coordinated among pro-Trump allies and media outlets, a concerted effort to tarnish Mueller’s reputation as part of a political strategy to undermine, or even eventually fire, the Russia investigator.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Scraper wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:17 am
Archinerd wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:27 pm

\

The second season is perhaps the best season of any sitcom ever. But yeah the 4th season was pretty terrible. There is a rumor going around that someone involved remixed the 4th season and made it more cohesive, but who knows if we'll ever see that version.

Anyway can we get back to Trump being investigated now?
Fine, but the Arrested Development education had to happen. I can't help those who watched and didn't like (you're dead to me, BTW), but for those who never saw it? Gotta reach out and try to save them whenever the opportunity arises. It might not be their fault they never got exposure to Teh Funny.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:52 am Where Politico does something useful and sounds the alarm that attacks on Mueller seem coordinated.
When President Donald Trump lashed out against Robert Mueller by name earlier this month, the president’s supporters sprang into action—treating the chief Russia investigator to political campaign-style opposition research.

Within hours, the Drudge Report featured a story blaming Mueller, the special counsel leading the Justice Department’s Russia probe, for the FBI’s clumsy investigation into the 2001 anthrax attacks when Mueller ran the bureau. The independent pro-Trump journalist Sara Carter posted a story charging that Mueller, as a federal prosecutor in Boston in the mid-1980s, had covered up the FBI’s dealings with the Mafia informant Whitey Bulger. Carter was soon discussing her findings in prime time with Fox News host Sean Hannity.

Meanwhile, Trump supporters on Twitter circulated video of testimony Mueller gave to Congress ahead of the 2003 Iraq War in which he endorsed the view, later proven false, that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction.

To some, the barrage looked coordinated among pro-Trump allies and media outlets, a concerted effort to tarnish Mueller’s reputation as part of a political strategy to undermine, or even eventually fire, the Russia investigator.
I doubt it. It's more like they're all getting in line to tell the people what they want to hear to sell their stories and be a part of this. I don't know which is more frightening. This is how fascism is born. People getting in line to get ahead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third ... xperiment)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:22 am
malchior wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:52 am Where Politico does something useful and sounds the alarm that attacks on Mueller seem coordinated.

I doubt it. It's more like they're all getting in line to tell the people what they want to hear to sell their stories and be a part of this. I don't know which is more frightening. This is how fascism is born. People getting in line to get ahead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third ... xperiment)
Yeah, I dunno whether I'm convinced that attacks like that are "coordinated", as in someone literally organizing all of them. All that really needs to happen is the President launches an attack, and then shameless allies know that the President approves of that, and then they can all do their own attacks (and pick up on themes that other people have already run with).
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The timing is too suspicious IMO. All these folks were just sitting on stories and happened to have them ready for when Trump made an off-hand remark? Maybe but why sit on these stories? To be clear, I agree that the twitter supporters was more about getting in line. However, Conservative media was probably too prepared for it to truly be a follow on effect. And suddenly the lady is booked on Hannity? That is way too much smoke.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:19 am The timing is too suspicious IMO. All these folks were just sitting on stories and happened to have them ready for when Trump made an off-hand remark? Maybe but why sit on these stories? To be clear, I agree that the twitter supporters was more about getting in line. However, Conservative media was probably too prepared for it to truly be a follow on effect. And suddenly the lady is booked on Hannity? That is way too much smoke.
What makes you think they were sitting on the stories? I'm not about to go clicking federalist links. They will get no satisfaction from me, but from the look of it this is not investigative journalism but rather OP/Ed from stories going back decades.

Within hours I can use google to find old stories on anything and give you a politically charged story. Conservative media has been positive feedback looping on the day's new events since the rise of Rush Limbaugh and that was before rise of Wiki and Google and before broadband put the history of the human race a few keyword searches away with countless people doing the same work in parallel for you.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

What's very concerning is how conservative messages get tested against the most extreme audience then refined based on "what sticks" to move upstream from white nationalist and fringe sites to Breitbart, Drudge, Hannity, and Fox. Someone linked to an hour by hour breakdown of how the Comey or Pizzagate attacks evolved. Apparently this is common.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:45 am What's very concerning is how conservative messages get tested against the most extreme audience then refined based on "what sticks" to move upstream from white nationalist and fringe sites to Breitbart, Drudge, Hannity, and Fox. Someone linked to an hour by hour breakdown of how the Comey or Pizzagate attacks evolved. Apparently this is common.
Again, that's my concern. Not the coordination, but the echo chamber. The feedback loop. The perpetual motion. Again, this is how fascism is born. The need to be led by someone who will tell you you are right and absolve you your own inadequacies for a higher purpose. Work sets you free.

I repeat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third ... eriment%29
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:45 am
malchior wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:19 am The timing is too suspicious IMO. All these folks were just sitting on stories and happened to have them ready for when Trump made an off-hand remark? Maybe but why sit on these stories? To be clear, I agree that the twitter supporters was more about getting in line. However, Conservative media was probably too prepared for it to truly be a follow on effect. And suddenly the lady is booked on Hannity? That is way too much smoke.
What makes you think they were sitting on the stories? I'm not about to go clicking federalist links. They will get no satisfaction from me, but from the look of it this is not investigative journalism but rather OP/Ed from stories going back decades.

Within hours I can use google to find old stories on anything and give you a politically charged story. Conservative media has been positive feedback looping on the day's new events since the rise of Rush Limbaugh and that was before rise of Wiki and Google and before broadband put the history of the human race a few keyword searches away.
Yup. It's well known that Mueller is an Enemy of Trump at this point, so all the media in TrumpWorld are going to be working on stories to discredit Mueller / his team / the FBI / Democrats / etc. So the odds that TrumpWorld media outlets will have bad stories on Mueller at any point is pretty much 100%. And Hannity is the head Minister of Propaganda at this point, so he'll immediately book people who write anti-Mueller stories that get traction. Plus anti-Mueller stories are going to get more mainstream attention at times when Trump is harping on Mueller.

I'm not saying that there's no coordination at all (NO COLLUSION!), I just think that this can easily work without someone in the center directing everyone.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

You can be sure that conservative media has been preparing anti-Mueller material (bidden or unbidden) because they know they need to be ready to go when the axe falls.

When Trump fires Mueller, Fox and Breitbart aren't going to waste time analyzing why the investigation was a failure and explaining away this or that piece of evidence. They're going to go 100% with the narrative that Mueller is worse that Clinton and Obama put together and that he needed to be stopped from carrying out his Deep State coup.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:07 am You can be sure that conservative media has been preparing anti-Mueller material (bidden or unbidden) because they know they need to be ready to go when the axe falls.

When Trump fires Mueller, Fox and Breitbart aren't going to waste time analyzing why the investigation was a failure and explaining away this or that piece of evidence. They're going to go 100% with the narrative that Mueller is worse that Clinton and Obama put together and that he needed to be stopped from carrying out his Deep State coup.
Jesus. We're not in the darkest timeline yet, but it's already pretty damn murky.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As follow up, I've noticed a rise in 2nd Amendment pro Branch Davidian spam recently. It took me five seconds to google Mueller Waco to find this article which I could spin OP/Ed conspiracy tripe for days.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 101811990/
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Pro Branch Davidian? There are people outside NAMBLA that publicly support pedophilia? :?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not all of them enjoy the camaraderie of their fellow pedophiles in a national organization. One has to expect some offshoot organizations and dedicated loners with any interest group.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At least I didn't mix it up with NAFTA again...
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The fringe right conspiracy theorists have always been pro Branch Davidian and considered Clinton/Reno as an attack on citizenry to expand federal power and weaken the 2nd amendment under the ATF. Of course they will bend their theories to make them pro MAGA somehow but this fits the anti FBI conspiracy perfectly. Clinton's FBI is deep state destroying the legitimacy of the presidency using Russian hackers to take away our guns and Christ and jobs for muslims and the United Nations single state under the Illuminati.

Look at this way, Ruby Ridge>Waco Texas>Oklahoma City Bombings>Mueller comes to prominence>9/11

https://twitter.com/CharlieDaniels/stat ... 6192447488

Skull and Bones man, Skull and bones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_and_Bones

Facebook tracks everything you do, and what do you do? You blame Trump?

And look , just now
An international team of astrophysicists has discovered a galaxy 65 million light years away with so little dark matter that it may contain none at all. To arrive at this conclusion, they measured the speeds of 10 twinkly blobs in the galaxy, called globular clusters, that each contain millions of stars. Their measurements showed that this galaxy’s stars can handle its rotational speed. Compared to other galaxies of the same brightness, “it has at least 400 times less dark matter than what we expected,” says astrophysicist Pieter van Dokkum of Yale University.
How can you possibly doubt the FBI wasn't trying to the disarm the law abiding citizens of the US for the benefit of globalist law superseding the Constitution?
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.