The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by Jaymann »

Trump will just continue screaming FULLY EXONERATED! right up until the marshals lead him away.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Show of hands: How many people here think Trump has read the full Mueller report? Anybody?

I would guess that he needed the four-page summary boiled down to one sheet of bullet points, with illustrations.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:02 pm Show of hands: How many people here think Trump has read the full Mueller report? Anybody?

I would guess that he needed the four-page summary boiled down to one sheet of bullet points, with illustrations.
I would guess he just watched the summary on Fox News.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Barr told a guy who told Trump. The most important goddamn 4 pages of his life. But someone had to tell him third hand.

It's a madhouse! A madhouse!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have attorneys, the best attorneys, to read that legal stuff. They are really fantastic, except for that Co-han guy, really low energy, sad!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Exodor wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:30 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:02 pm Show of hands: How many people here think Trump has read the full Mueller report? Anybody?

I would guess he just watched the summary on Fox News.
...which suggests the question, "Has Fox News read the full Mueller report?" (Probably not, but it won't surprise me if they get it before anyone else.)
Holman

Post by Holman »

He sounds fully exonerated.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Coming from a president who allows admin officials to do conference calls with reporters but allows those officials to remain nameless so the reporters don't know who they're actually talking to...
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:44 pm

People are saying the sources are good.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Big yawn to all of this at this point. I have little confidence the Mueller report will ever be released, except possibly in a form so redacted as to make it meaningless.

But even if it were produced (or leaked) what impact are we really expecting? Nothing will happen. The needle won’t move. Not one bit. Trump haters will keep on hating. Trumpaloos will keep on Trumping. The media will keep on chyroning.

In the end, who really cares?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are two scenarios, I think.

The least likely is that it will be leaked in its entirety (or at least a few 'juicy' pages.)

The more likely is that it will be released publicly, just in time for our kids to tell their grandkids about how they remember hearing about him on the news.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:50 am There are two scenarios, I think.

The least likely is that it will be leaked in its entirety (or at least a few 'juicy' pages.)

The more likely is that it will be released publicly, just in time for our kids to tell their grandkids about how they remember hearing about him on the news.
Or on January 21st, 2021/5
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

AG Barr is testifying to the House Appropriations subcommittee and getting grilled on the Mueller report.

Takeaways so far:

1) Mueller did not review or endorse Barr's summary letter,
1) Barr refuses to say whether he has briefed the WH on the report,
2) Says a redacted version will be available within a week,
3) When asked whether an unredacted report will be available to Congress, says No.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isn't it strange that he could read and summarize the 300+ page report in like two days, but it's taking 3+ weeks to create a redacted version for all the plebes to review?

Seriously, F this timeline.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:06 am Big yawn to all of this at this point. I have little confidence the Mueller report will ever be released, except possibly in a form so redacted as to make it meaningless.

But even if it were produced (or leaked) what impact are we really expecting? Nothing will happen. The needle won’t move. Not one bit. Trump haters will keep on hating. Trumpaloos will keep on Trumping. The media will keep on chyroning.

The victims.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:37 am Isn't it strange that he could read and summarize the 300+ page report in like two days, but it's taking 3+ weeks to create a redacted version for all the plebes congress to review?
FTFY.

How he's able to get away with that is entirely beyond me.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't think the time line is that crazy. Perhaps his summary, but I think 3+ weeks to make sure everyone agrees on the redactions is reasonable. Mr Fed discussed what is likely to be redacted and how Congress could still get a general idea on the topics, if not specifics, through questioning Barr.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Holman

Post by Holman »

stessier wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:02 am [...] and how Congress could still get a general idea on the topics, if not specifics, through questioning Barr.
If today is any indication, I'd say that's not likely.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I don't think the GOP has any standing on redaction / privilege issues after the Nunes FISA debacle.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:42 am
Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:06 am Big yawn to all of this at this point. I have little confidence the Mueller report will ever be released, except possibly in a form so redacted as to make it meaningless.

The victims.
Not this victim. That may be a little hyperbole, but I really don't care much at this point.

We all know what Trump has done. We know who he has surrounded himself with and what they've been up to. At least, we know this stuff at a high level. Do we think the details are really going to change anyone's view or change the impact? Everything's about 2020. Unless you think that damaging stuff from the Mueller report will somehow stick to Trump and have an impact on the next election, who cares?

I'll tell you what I do care about: The Democrats eating their own. I'm watching what's been happening with Biden. And I'm seeing the savaging Buttigieg is taking from the progressive corners of social and mainstream media. I'm reading the stupid CNN takedown piece on Kamala Harris today regarding her position on the death penalty and her refusal to seek it when she was a recently elected DA and a copy got shot in the line of duty. I have a terrible feeling that we're going to end up with 4 more years of Trump, and it will be the Democrats who put him in office.

Sorry. This is a misplaced post. I'll save it for the 2020 thread from now on.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Another great thing drumpf has accomplished is creating an environment where corruption and incompetence elicits apathy, paving the way for mediocrity and questionable legality both at home and on the world stage.

American exceptionalism indeed.

I mean, you know, whatever.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kurth wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm
I'll tell you what I do care about: The Democrats eating their own. I'm watching what's been happening with Biden. And I'm seeing the savaging Buttigieg is taking from the progressive corners of social and mainstream media. I'm reading the stupid CNN takedown piece on Kamala Harris today regarding her position on the death penalty and her refusal to seek it when she was a recently elected DA and a copy got shot in the line of duty. I have a terrible feeling that we're going to end up with 4 more years of Trump, and it will be the Democrats who put him in office.

Have you never been through a presidential primary before? :?
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:00 pm

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat." --Will Rogers

Cacophony has always been their stock in trade, and that's healthy if they finally rally behind the nominee.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:20 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:00 pm

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat." --Will Rogers

Cacophony has always been their stock in trade, and that's healthy if they finally rally behind the nominee.
I don't worry about primary in-fighting so much (the Republicans had a messy primary in 2016, and that didn't prove to be a problem). I do worry about a brokered convention, and that it might lead to the #2 candidate's supporters staying home on election day (especially if that runner-up is Sanders).
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman

Post by Holman »

If I'm a Mueller investigator, I'm going full Daniel Ellsberg at this point.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ellsberg was a big wikileaks fan. Maybe Mueller's team is too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:33 am I don't worry about primary in-fighting so much (the Republicans had a messy primary in 2016, and that didn't prove to be a problem). I do worry about a brokered convention, and that it might lead to the #2 candidate's supporters staying home on election day (especially if that runner-up is Sanders).
I wish I lived in a country in which I could vote for the person I thought could do the job the best, instead of a country where I vote for someone because I don't want another 4 years of Trump.

In the past, throwing away your vote could be a noble gesture. Now it's just downright dangerous.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:33 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:33 am I don't worry about primary in-fighting so much (the Republicans had a messy primary in 2016, and that didn't prove to be a problem). I do worry about a brokered convention, and that it might lead to the #2 candidate's supporters staying home on election day (especially if that runner-up is Sanders).
I wish I lived in a country in which I could vote for the person I thought could do the job the best, instead of a country where I vote for someone because I don't want another 4 years of Trump.

In the past, throwing away your vote could be a noble gesture. Now it's just downright dangerous.
Then, sir, ranked choice voting is for you.

There's been more of a push for it in recent years, and they now have it in Maine, where it resulted in a Democratic victory in the ME-2 House district (the GOP candidate was first in the initial vote with a plurality, but the second+ choice votes put the Democrat ahead.

It's something that should be pretty universal in our elections.

Of course, for now yes voting third party is dangerous.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Though I should add that the risk of a brokered convention is not driven by spoiler candidates or plurality election winners, but rather by the Democrats proportional allocation of delegates, reduction in superdelegates, and a surfeit of candidates.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:55 am

That's a rather serious allegation for the POTUS to be making. It's telling that no one will do a damn thing about it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you shock people 942 times a day with lies or outrageous claims, you're eventually going to make them immune to whatever you do or say. This is Trump's entire point of existence...and has been since birth.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

since birth?! that's almost an outrageous claim.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well since he became a birther at least.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:09 pm since birth?! that's almost an outrageous claim.
One month in he was complaining about his mother's breastmilk, saying "Trump breastmilk is the best, top class, everyone says so, much better than this cheap low cost breastmilk that I'm getting."
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:05 pm If you shock people 942 times a day with lies or outrageous claims, you're eventually going to make them immune to whatever you do or say. This is Trump's entire point of existence...and has been since birth.
Robert Reich's mantra is Pay no attention to what Trump says, but watch carefully what he does.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:11 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:09 pm since birth?! that's almost an outrageous claim.
One month in he was complaining about his mother's breastmilk, saying "Trump breastmilk is the best, top class, everyone says so, much better than this cheap low cost breastmilk that I'm getting."
Donny make biggest boom boom in potty, mommy!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:16 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:05 pm If you shock people 942 times a day with lies or outrageous claims, you're eventually going to make them immune to whatever you do or say. This is Trump's entire point of existence...and has been since birth.
Robert Reich's mantra is Pay no attention to what Trump says, but watch carefully what he does.
Like, say, having his AG launch an investigation into Obama/Comey's DOJ "spying" on the Trump campaign?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:45 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:55 am

That's a rather serious allegation for the POTUS to be making. It's telling that no one will do a damn thing about it.
Wasn't it only a week or two ago when Huckabee said the same thing and the defense was that oh, no, she just meant that people running the investigation were accusing Trump of treason, which is punishable by death, the treason, not the accusing, what are you crazy although accusing a president is probably treason, right? Like do we forget this shit?

He will be calling for arrests and executions. Well, someone will put it out there again and see what kind of reaction it gets. Until it's safe for him to say it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:16 pm Robert Reich's mantra is Pay no attention to what Trump says, but watch carefully what he does.
That's moronic. He does the same stupid shit that he says. He's got all the subtlety and effectiveness of a rusty chainsaw. The only reason that his words and actions don't align at times is that his handlers (and, rarely, the law) reel him in).

He is his words. That's almost entirely all he is.