The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Captain Caveman

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Captain Caveman »

Enough wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:22 pm Some pushback on this claim:
"for the first time" refers to her personal emails. I think that's the important distinction here.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Enough wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:22 pm
Captain Caveman wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Russia literally targeted Clinton's personal emails for the first time right after Trump's infamous press conference asking them to do so.

No collusion?
Some pushback on this claim:

https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/1017814619669323776
ehhhh that pushback is a little nitpicky. The indictment is clear that it was the first time that they tried to reach this particular set of e-mails. The original tweet could be a little clearer on that, but I wouldn't label it "incorrect".
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Fireball wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:20 pm Roger Stone is in serious trouble.

Whichever GOP candidate asked for information from a hack to help his campaign committed a very serious crime.

WikiLeaks is just as scummy and awful an organization as people thought.

Some journalist (probably at Fox News?) peddled Russia-stolen information to besmirch the BLM movement.

This is a big deal.
Stone has been expecting to be indicted for some type. For, uh..."extraneous crimes".
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

This stuff ought to spice up the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings too, I bet.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:23 pm
Enough wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:16 pm While upstaging meeting the queen is fun, the real fun is announcing this before Trump meets Putin.
FWIW Schumer has already called on Trump to cancel his meeting with Putin. I very much doubt that Trump will, of course, but it's sensible and calling for it seems like smart politics at the least.
Yeah but doesn't Schumer has some sort of eyes I've never heard of but apparently are a pretty piercing dog whistle for people who aren't me.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Yeah, it's still awful. I am just into accuracy/nitpicking as there's no reason to create an opening for calls of fake news. The key is that it was the first time they attacked Clinton's personal email server.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Captain Caveman wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:51 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:44 pm
Captain Caveman wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:22 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:19 pm I'm listening to it. Bet your bottom dollar that the Fox headline is "no collusion" as there are no Americans named in the indictment.
He did say: "The conspirators communicated with several Americans." But does not say that the Americans knew with whom they were communicating.

I'm guessing those revelations will come.
Actually, he specifically said that the American contacts were unaware they were dealing with foreign agents.
At the very least, they had to know they were dealing with illegally obtained materials. The unnamed GOP congressional candidate was requesting stolen documents! Whether the person knew they were communicating with Russians or not, they're still in some deep shit.
Also, this article from August 2016 casually references that "Guccifer 2.0 is widely believed to be a cover for Russian intelligence." I'm reasonably confident that Gufficer 2.0 never said "I am Russian intelligence" to any of the relevant individuals, but it would be a tough argument for Stone or others to make that they shouldn't have known or strongly suspected.
Black Lives Matter.
Enough

Post by Enough »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:30 pm Definitely sounds like Roger Stone. Especially considering his comments contemporary to that. And I'm hoping that Candidate was none other than Devin Nunes. That'd be amaze-balls.
Trump randomly met with Devin Nunes in late August 2016 per the NYT.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Captain Caveman

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 pm Also, this article from August 2016 casually references that "Guccifer 2.0 is widely believed to be a cover for Russian intelligence." I'm reasonably confident that Gufficer 2.0 never said "I am Russian intelligence" to any of the relevant individuals, but it would be a tough argument for Stone or others to make that they shouldn't have known or strongly suspected.
Even if these contacts with Russians were "unknowing", there were others that were completely, 100% "knowing" (e.g., the Trump Tower meeting). And these "knowing" meetings never caused the Trump campaign to contact the FBI or anyone else.

Of course Stone knew who he was dealing with.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Enough wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:32 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:30 pm Definitely sounds like Roger Stone. Especially considering his comments contemporary to that. And I'm hoping that Candidate was none other than Devin Nunes. That'd be amaze-balls.
Nunes almost has to be involved in this to some degree, even if he's not Boned Candidate A from the indictment. It's hard to explain the full degree to which the House GOP has gone to bat against Trump's investigators without some incriminating activity by House Republicans.

By contrast, the Senate GOP, while being less than fully helpful, hasn't been willing to go on offense for Trump, which makes me think that the Russian hackers were not super active in Senate races.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Captain Caveman wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:34 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 pm Also, this article from August 2016 casually references that "Guccifer 2.0 is widely believed to be a cover for Russian intelligence." I'm reasonably confident that Gufficer 2.0 never said "I am Russian intelligence" to any of the relevant individuals, but it would be a tough argument for Stone or others to make that they shouldn't have known or strongly suspected.
Even if these contacts with Russians were "unknowing", there were others that were completely, 100% "knowing" (e.g., the Trump Tower meeting). And these "knowing" meetings never caused the Trump campaign to contact the FBI or anyone else.

Of course Stone knew who he was dealing with.
Also (without knowing the relevant statutes), Mueller almost certainly does not need to prove that Stone or others knew that the counterparties were Russian intelligence. Generally "should have known" is sufficient for that sort of thing.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Oh and now I am sure we will quickly see Newt Gingrich and the rest of the alt right come out and admit they had it all wrong on Seth Rich? :P

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:34 pm
Nunes almost has to be involved in this to some degree, even if he's not Boned Candidate A from the indictment. It's hard to explain the full degree to which the House GOP has gone to bat against Trump's investigators without some incriminating activity by House Republicans.

By contrast, the Senate GOP, while being less than fully helpful, hasn't been willing to go on offense for Trump, which makes me think that the Russian hackers were not super active in Senate races.
Also, from Jonathan Chait's column on the indictment:
The indictment charges that the conspirators “received a request for stolen materials from a candidate for the U.S. Congress,” and “sent the candidate stolen documents.” The Wall Street Journal reported a year ago that “Guccifer 2.0,” one of the Russian hackers, communicated with Florida-based Republican operative Aaron Nevins. Nevins is not named in this indictment, but the revelation that a candidate also communicated with Russian hackers indicates yet another point of contact in a conspiracy that went beyond Trump’s campaign.
I have to think that the number of House GOP reps implicated in this is going to grow.
Black Lives Matter.
Captain Caveman

Which is why I'm fearful that the Mueller probe is more vulnerable now than ever. They'll be pressure to shut it down before the American indictments start raining down.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Captain Caveman wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:43 pm Which is why I'm fearful that the Mueller probe is more vulnerable now than ever. They'll be pressure to shut it down before the American indictments start raining down.

NEWS: As Rosenstein announces indictments, House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows is filing a motion to impeach him for DOJ noncompliance, source tells me
A few more details here, for whatever they're worth.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

At the same time, quashing the Mueller probe (or removing Rosenstein) *now* seems politically perilous - sustained protests in the street kind of thing. Seems like they would need to wait a few weeks for things to get a little quieter, then try to knife them. BUT at the same time, the longer they wait, the closer it gets to the midterms, and you REALLY don't want to fire everyone up then.

Also FWIW I have read a couple things that were a little dismissive of the implications of Rosenstein getting impeached ...basically that the effective result would be a referral of the matter to...Rosenstein. EDIT: I was mixing up impeachment and contempt. Impeachment seems pretty dumb because it would never pass in the Senate, and the Democrats would LOVE to have a big public show about all this.

Still, would be pretty ballsy to still introduce this on Monday.
Last edited by El Guapo on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ugh, I have to get back to work. Send me a PM if the Marshal of the Supreme Court picks up Trump.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Is that a function of Senator's being less corruptible (ha!) or the election cycle just not having too many of them under the gun? To be honest I'd definitely go after Senators. Especially in this climate where a Senator is a potential blocking vote. The Russians also could have posited that Republicans vote en bloc so outliers would be pretty obvious after a while.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 pm
Captain Caveman wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:51 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:44 pm
Captain Caveman wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:22 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:19 pm I'm listening to it. Bet your bottom dollar that the Fox headline is "no collusion" as there are no Americans named in the indictment.
He did say: "The conspirators communicated with several Americans." But does not say that the Americans knew with whom they were communicating.

I'm guessing those revelations will come.
Actually, he specifically said that the American contacts were unaware they were dealing with foreign agents.
At the very least, they had to know they were dealing with illegally obtained materials. The unnamed GOP congressional candidate was requesting stolen documents! Whether the person knew they were communicating with Russians or not, they're still in some deep shit.
Also, this article from August 2016 casually references that "Guccifer 2.0 is widely believed to be a cover for Russian intelligence." I'm reasonably confident that Gufficer 2.0 never said "I am Russian intelligence" to any of the relevant individuals, but it would be a tough argument for Stone or others to make that they shouldn't have known or strongly suspected.
The damning thing to me is that someone like Stone wouldn't deal with a rando with this type of deal. Otherwise, it could easily blow up in his face. It could be a sting even. I have a hard time believing he didn't strongly know who he was dealing with and there is no doubt it would be obviously illegal.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I forget - do we hang traitors? Shoot them? I feel like we need to communicate that sooner than later.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Is that a function of Senator's being less corruptible (ha!) or the election cycle just not having too many of them under the gun? To be honest I'd definitely go after Senators. Especially in this climate where a Senator is a potential blocking vote. The Russians also could have posited that Republicans vote en bloc so outliers would be pretty obvious after a while.
Seems like there are a lot of potential reasons why the Russians would be more involved in the House than the Senate - hard to say more without knowing more about the decision-making process on the Russian end. But one thing that comes to mind is that the Russians already had a long-standing in to the House in the form of Rohrabacher, who was into Russian collusion before it was cool. Making an approach is not without risk - they approach the wrong candidate, and he blows the whistle to the FBI / CIA / the public, and things get more difficult. If they already have a contact that they can trust in Rohrabacher (and possibly others), then Rohrabacher can point them towards who else is reasonably safe to approach. Could just be that they didn't have the same comfort level on the Senate. Or could just be that they only have so much time and resources and just happened to pick the House.

Who knows - all pretty speculative at this point. It's just that there is a LOT more smoke on the House end.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:09 pm I forget - do we hang traitors? Shoot them? I feel like we need to communicate that sooner than later.
“People who go along a treasonous path do not know they are on a treasonous path until it is too late.”

-Former CIA Director John Brennan, on May 23, 2017.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:09 pm I forget - do we hang traitors? Shoot them? I feel like we need to communicate that sooner than later.
First and foremost seize every thing they own and everything they put in trust to other people and then you take their Visas and post them on no travel lists. Then you but them at the mercy of a major metropolitan an inner city federal court in front of a female minority court officer and let them determine how to proceed from there.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:46 pm
Captain Caveman wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:43 pm Which is why I'm fearful that the Mueller probe is more vulnerable now than ever. They'll be pressure to shut it down before the American indictments start raining down.

NEWS: As Rosenstein announces indictments, House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows is filing a motion to impeach him for DOJ noncompliance, source tells me

They might could pass this in the House but there's no way they'll get 2/3 in the Senate.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:26 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:46 pm

They might could pass this in the House but there's no way they'll get 2/3 in the Senate.
Also...there would need to be a Senate trial, right? Wouldn't that trial but a huge PR bonanza for the Democrats?
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

As the Strok hearing showed yesterday - it isn't about actually *doing* anything. It is appearance of doing so that matters.
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:31 pm Also...there would need to be a Senate trial, right? Wouldn't that trial but a huge PR bonanza for the Democrats?
Yeah but Freedom Caucus guys are extremists. They don't give a shit about the big picture.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm pretty sure we elect them.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:33 pm As the Strok hearing showed yesterday - it isn't about actually *doing* anything. It is appearance of doing so that matters.
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:31 pm Also...there would need to be a Senate trial, right? Wouldn't that trial but a huge PR bonanza for the Democrats?
Yeah but Freedom Caucus guys are extremists. They don't give a shit about the big picture.
I get that, but seems like the kind of thing that Ryan would squash. An impeachment trial of Rosenstein where he talks at length about the Russia investigation and what is known (even just what is publicly known) in the run-up to the mid-terms is like a wet dream for democratic leadership.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Mayor Rudy Giuliani
‏Verified account
@RudyGiuliani
The indictments Rod Rosenstein announced are good news for all Americans. The Russians are nailed. No Americans are involved. Time for Mueller to end this pursuit of the President and say President Trump is completely innocent.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Man, Guiliani is just so bad at this.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

You're right Guiliani - I'm convinced! WITCHHUNT!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Doesn't indictment just mean "charged with some serious shit?" Is Guilani seriously saying, even aside from Trump, "We charged 12 Russians whom will we'll never get to prosecute. It's all better now. Let sleeping dogs lay?"

Speaking of burning all the goodwill you've earned. And take the Mayor off your name, you tool.
Mr./Mrs./Dr./etc. (Surname):
Sometimes you will see or hear former mayors addressed as Mayor (name) but it is not correct, Address a former mayor as Mr./Ms./Dr./etc. (whatever honorific they had before becoming mayor) (Name).
The reason? In a city there is only one mayor at a time. It's not respectful to the current officer holder, and is potentially confusing to be addressing more than one person as Mayor (Name).
Being addressed as Mayor (Name) is a courtesy of the office and is reserved for the current office holder. I know, I know, I know, you hear former mayors addressed as Mayor (Name), but addressing a former mayor as Mayor (Name) is simply a reporter flattering the former official's ego, or the former official seeking to continue to enjoy the courtesies due his or her former lofty post.
[This contrasts with officials of which there is more than one office holder at a time -- e.g, there are many judges, ambassadors, generals, admirals, professors, senators etc. at a time -- and these former office holders DO use their (Special Honorific)+(Name) in every situation for the rest of their lives.]
-- Robert Hickey
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also, it's just flat out lying to say that "no Americans are involved". No Americans were indicted, but the indictment clearly lays out involvement by Americans (connected to the Trump campaign).
Black Lives Matter.
milo

Post by milo »

Nope, it's better (by which I mean much, much worse) than that:

--milo
msteelers

The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by msteelers »

I’m not caught up on the thread, but here is an article from last year in regards to a candidate and Guccifer 2.0.
A report claims information hacked from Democrats during the presidential race also played a role in U.S. Rep. Brian Mast's Treasure Coast race, an allegation his office denies.

Mast's former political consultant told the Wall Street Journal he adjusted the Republican candidate's campaign strategy based on Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee data leaked by hacker “Guccifer 2.0" in August, according to a Thursday story.

“I did adjust some voting targets based on some data I saw from the leaks,” consultant Anthony Bustamante is quoted saying in the article.

Bustamante declined to comment for this story.

Mast's office said Bustamante terminated his contract with the campaign June 30, before the documents were made public by the hacker. Bustamante told the Wall Street Journal he continued to advise the campaign informally after June.

On Aug. 12, political operative Aaron Nevins contacted Guccifer, whom U.S. officials believe is linked to Russia, via Twitter asking for data, the Journal reported. Nevins posted some of the 2.5 gigabytes of documents on his blog HelloFla.com.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Uh oh, Rip is in some deep trouble:

Spoiler:
This excerpt is a joke, and not actually part of the indictment.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:38 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:33 pm As the Strok hearing showed yesterday - it isn't about actually *doing* anything. It is appearance of doing so that matters.
I get that, but seems like the kind of thing that Ryan would squash. An impeachment trial of Rosenstein where he talks at length about the Russia investigation and what is known (even just what is publicly known) in the run-up to the mid-terms is like a wet dream for democratic leadership.
Exactly. Pretty much the only thing Ryan does well is prevent the Freedom Caucus from throwing napalm on the GOP garbage fire.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Can't we do both? Shooting at a target doing the hangman's dance could result in a lot of painful near-misses!
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Since Trump is the C-in-C, I would hope he's subject to a firing squad. At least I think that's the military remedy.