The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Alefroth »

Grassley has some nerve complaining the release of the transcript will hinder the investigation, as if any of them has any fucking intention of investigating. It wouldn't surprise me if they use this as an excuse to end their "investigation".
malchior

Post by malchior »

At this point I'm pretty concerned here. There are a *lot* of red flags in this transcript. While Mueller is tasked with an important investigation, it isn't broad enough. I think we need an independent commission to understand the breadth of Russian interference. We might have had a 9/11 or Pearl Harbor level attack on our Democracy and are largely unaware of its dimensions. The Russians may have found real vulnerabilities in our electoral processes. We need to identify that set of problems.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Since I've only skimmed through a few articles summarizing the stuff Feinstein released, is this tl/dr right?

Unlike what Republicans have been trying to push, the FBI had already been investigating Trump's Russia ties before the whole GPS fusion/Steele dossier and thus had independent sources of information pointing to it, including a leak from inside the Trump campaign that (likely? definitely?) wasn't George Papadopoulos (because, from what we know, George only started cooperating as part of a plea deal)

And the publishing of the Steele dossier resulted in someone being killed.

Is that right? Are there any more major points?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Some other important points:

Trump may have a lot of money tied up in Russian dominated countries like Georgia and Azerbaijan
Steele was brought on because they wanted a Russian expert after roads in their private investigation led them there
Fusion GPS went to the FBI because they believed a crime was in progress.
Once they got in contact they found out an investigation was already underway.
Fusion GPS provided their material to the FBI by brokering a meeting in Rome with Steele
Comey may have been unaware of the depth of the FBI investigation
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Drumpf had ties to russian organized crime prior to the campaign and that aside from what that means by itself, it made him a likely target of blackmail.

The timing of the weirdly pro-russian comments during the campaign line up with events in the dossier.

Not mentioned here but I'd like to remind people that Steele went underground when the dossier was published, for his own safety.

Also, his reputation prior to the dossier was extremely good.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Trump's businesses are in bad shape. This gives a whole new dimension to Trump's campaign finances -- and a motive for his perpetual campaigning and refusal to disclose tax returns. I think at the end of the day we find out his campaign is another means of money laundering.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

OK, thanks. I think some of that we kinda already suspected beforehand, so less of a shock, but still, good info there.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:50 am I despise every single person that had even an inkling of any of this and still voted for or provided cover for Drumpf. That Republicans have access to this interview and are attempting to discredit it not through more investigation and fact finding, but through disinformation and withholding it from the public...good god.

As bad as Drumpf is, and he's clearly very freakin' bad, those attempting to cover for it are worse.
Yes, they are called traitors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

So, basically, it's actually about as bad as the worst fears we've had about it.

Except it's worse because the GOP is abetting the cover-up.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:49 am So, basically, it's actually about as bad as the worst fears we've had about it.

Seems that way - the GOP truly appears to be party before country. They are willing to do and say almost anything to keep power and push forward an agenda that lines their own pockets.

Also....amazing. Not his best bullying effort but it is pretty obvious he freaks out anytime it becomes clear how deep his involvement is.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It sounds like the Russians are already deeply embedded into our electoral process. That means that any upcoming election has the potential to be compromised.

How is that not a 'drop everything' national emergency?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:18 pmHow is that not a 'drop everything' national emergency?
Because we needed to take away healthcare from the poors and fix the income tax problems impacting the rich. With that addressed, now they can focus on all the Mexicans.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:19 am
Holman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:49 am So, basically, it's actually about as bad as the worst fears we've had about it.

Seems that way - the GOP truly appears to be party before country. They are willing to do and say almost anything to keep power and push forward an agenda that lines their own pockets.

Also....amazing. Not his best bullying effort but it is pretty obvious he freaks out anytime it becomes clear how deep his involvement is.

Interesting that he's not attacking the testimony's content, but rather just attacking the messenger for releasing it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:29 pm Interesting that he's not attacking the testimony's content, but rather just attacking the messenger for releasing it.
The justice department has already apparently started conducting investigations into people he yells loud enough about... why not try again.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:18 pm It sounds like the Russians are already deeply embedded into our electoral process. That means that any upcoming election has the potential to be compromised.

This is the scary part to me - why isn't it? We can point at party over country only so much before you have to wonder how bad the problem actually is.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I would literally change all my correspondence to say " sneaky Dianne" if I were her. I'd certainly change my name plate in Congress, and If I ever spoke directly​to Drumpf, I would insist he address me as " sneaky Dianne" face to face.

The moment he hesitated I'd call him a coward to his face.

The idea that tweets don't matter and that anything he's called on gets excused away as hyperbole has got to end.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:18 pm It sounds like the Russians are already deeply embedded into our electoral process. That means that any upcoming election has the potential to be compromised.

The problem is that Republican leadership is wedded to an extremely unpopular agenda - slashing the social safety net combined with wildly regressive tax cuts, deregulation, etc. You can't really run on that in an election. Hence they are in something of an uneasy relationship with democracy - if they don't want to give up their agenda, the temptation to resort to things like voter suppression or accepting foreign meddling is hard to resist.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:31 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:29 pm Interesting that he's not attacking the testimony's content, but rather just attacking the messenger for releasing it.
The justice department has already apparently started conducting investigations into people he yells loud enough about... why not try again.
This is standard stuff from him. The problem is never what's going on, it's that dirty leakers are telling you about it. It's disloyalty, and Trump can't handle disloyalty. Trump will be the one who tells you what you need to know, because he is the one in charge of right and wrong, important and not.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:11 pm Been typing OO for so long... Who kept the GG archives?
Don't know if any of these links still work.

Edit to add: looks like ND finally let them out to pasture. I still have all the files that he was hosting though. Somewhere.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:46 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:11 pm Been typing OO for so long... Who kept the GG archives?
Don't know if any of these links still work.

Edit to add: looks like ND finally let them out to pasture. I still have all the files that he was hosting though. Somewhere.
Your link was enough to know it was Gebeker I had all of the discussions with, though it would be interesting to see how wrong I was in my assumptions of reasonable Americans are when it comes to evolution and indoctrination. I had no idea how big the world he fled from was. None. Even though it's been apparent for over 12 years how wrong I was, I'm still incredulous. I really can't believe sophistry that is being passed debate. The idea of discussion is off the table. So Gebeker, if you are still out there I apologize for my dubious stance on your warnings.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Don't know how to post tweets

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... instein%2F
The fact that Sneaky Dianne Feinstein, who has on numerous occasions stated that collusion between Trump/Russia has not been found, would release testimony in such an underhanded and possibly illegal way, totally without authorization, is a disgrace. Must have tough Primary!
There is no talking to these people. Please let this next election work out. I really don't know what happens if the ship sails in this same direction. It's no wonder so many aren't running for re-election. This is so far beyond shameful and self delusions.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:17 pmIt's no wonder so many aren't running for re-election.
Deploy golden parachute! Land safely in wads of cash, laugh and cruise the world on your new yacht with your best millionaire & billionaire friends. F##k everyone else. F##k them all.

Every single one of them is Gollum in my mind, coveting The Precious, and the 99% are all filthy, nasty hobbitses.
Last edited by Paingod on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That's exactly what it looks like from where I sit.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:59 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:17 pmIt's no wonder so many aren't running for re-election.
Deploy golden parachute! Land safely in wads of cash, laugh and cruise the world on your new yacht with your best millionaire & billionaire friends. F##k everyone else. F##k them all.

Every single one of them is Gollum in my mind, coveting The Precious, and the 99% are all filthy, nasty hobbitses.
Aaaannnnd...Issa just announced his retirement.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rats from a sinking ship, trying to take as much cheese as they can and bail.

I don't know if I should be happy or upset. I guess it's the best of a putrid situation.
Rip

Post by Rip »

We'll see what happens.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I wonder what guys who retire will do now that they've air dropped billions of dollars into rich folks' pockets. Well not Issa specifically. His reward was keeping his hundreds of millions safe from estate taxes. I'm sure he'll miss the legal insider trading though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rip wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:51 pm We'll see what happens.
I want this on a t-shirt.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:15 pm I wonder what guys who retire will do now that they've air dropped billions of dollars into rich folks' pockets. Well not Issa specifically. His reward was keeping his hundreds of millions safe from estate taxes. I'm sure he'll miss the legal insider trading though.
I wonder whether the GOP will manage to elect even worse corrupt idiots. See Arizona Senate race to replace Flake as example #1.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Interesting development - Mueller just hired an experienced cyber prosecutor:

https://www.axios.com/mueller-cyber-pro ... m=politics

Does this mean he has evidence of coordination between Trump’s data operations and the Russians?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If you recall, there was evidence of communication between Drumpf org and a russian bank during the campaign.

When this was reported on, the communication stopped, only to start up again shortly thereafter, between different computers.

Not that this hire has anything to do with that necessarily, but it was highly suspect, and the evidence quite technical in nature.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

No idea how reliable TPM is as a news source but...
President Donald Trump on Wednesday danced around a question about what parameters he would set for a potential interview with special counsel Robert Mueller. He eventually said “it seems unlikely that you would even have an interview,” given the his assertion there hadn’t been any collusion between him or his associates and Russia.

During a joint press conference with Trump and Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg, Fox News’ John Roberts asked the President about a potential interview between himself and Mueller, the approach to which, the Washington Post and NBC News reported Monday, is the subject of debate within the President’s legal team.

“Are you open to meeting with him? Would you be willing to meet with him without condition? Or would you demand that a strict set of parameters be placed around any encounter between you and the special counsel?” Roberts asked.

Trump repeated eight times in his response that no collusion had yet been found between him or his associates and Russia. (Congressional and federal investigators’ probes are ongoing.)

He also highlighted the conditions under which Hillary Clinton was interviewed in July 2016 by the FBI during the bureau’s investigation of her use of a private email server. Trump incorrectly asserted that the FBI agents interviewing Clinton didn’t take notes — they did — and asserted “a lot of people looked upon that as being a very serious breach and it really was.”

After he bobbed and weaved, the President gave his real answer: “We’ll see what happens. Certainly I’ll see what happens. But when they have no collusion and nobody has found any collusion, at any level, it seems unlikely that you would even have an interview.”
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

When Mueller finally drops the bomb, it's going to leave no survivors.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Man, you guys are really going to be disappointed when he doesn't lay a glove on Trump. The entire thing is on the verge of falling apart.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/10/the-trump ... ollapsing/
Simpson told Congress “an internal campaign source,” a “whistle-blower” within the Trump organization, had corroborated some of the information in the dossier for the FBI. This was a bombshell (if true) because it meant that there was a legitimate source substantiating those assertions. So even the dossier’s most shocking tales could be treated seriously by the FBI and used as a pretext to investigate Trump’s organization in the middle of a political campaign.

Soon after the transcript was released, however, NBC News’ Ken Dilanian‏, who has a close relationship with Fusion, reported that sources in the firm were correcting Steele, who’d mischaracterized a meeting with a Trump source. No, there was no “walk-in” from the Trump campaign, as Steele had maintained in his testimony.

This is hardly surprising. Those who bought, compiled and spread the Trump dossier’s rumors have been walking back its claims for a while. And that’s likely one of the reasons Democrats have been scrambling to retroactively diminish its importance in any investigation.
In fact, Simpson’s description of Steele’s reasons for approaching the FBI aren’t even true. In the dossier, Steele alleges to be offering extensive evidence of a “conspiracy between Trump’s campaign team and the Kremlin.” In his deposition in a libel case late last year, however, the former spy says it was merely “possible” that collusion had taken place and the dossier reflects “limited intelligence.”
We see a similar downgrading of the dossier’s significance and veracity in Simpson’s own testimony. “The question that is asked generally is whether it’s credible,” he explained. “You don’t really decide who’s telling the truth.”

Well, now that Michael Cohen, Trump’s personal attorney, is filing a pair of lawsuits — one in federal court against Fusion GPS and the other in New York against BuzzFeed — the truth may take on some renewed importance. Add to that the fact that Chuck Grassley and Lindsey Graham asked the Department of Justice to open a criminal investigation into Steele’s inconsistencies, and surely we can look forward to more clarifications and walkbacks in the future.

This is likely what prompted Feinstein to release the transcripts — which, incidentally, excluded not only a number of important contextual exhibits from Simpson’s testimony but also redacted all sorts of relevant information about the players in the case.

It doesn’t matter. At some point, we’re going to learn the whole story. And if it turns out that the political party in power used a dossier filled with raw, unsubstantiated information to spy on its opponents, it’ll be a massive scandal.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Don't stop believin'
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I can't wait for the scene where Trump has to pretend to be a flight attendant and accidentally inflates a child size life preserver around his neck.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rip wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:48 am Man, you guys are really going to be disappointed when he doesn't lay a glove on Trump. The entire thing is on the verge of falling apart.

[...]
You know that's an opinion piece, right? And that it's not reporting anything?

My favorite by the same guy is an earlier editorial where he calls the dossier "treason" and suggests HRC should be arrested for it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's just funny - we've got multiple indictments, guilty pleas, more ties to Russia than can be counted from various Trump administration figures, repeated historic cases of corruption and mismanagement by Trump, a refusal to release his tax returns which - if he's doing nothing wrong, would clear up a lot of questions about his financial dealings - and the "REAL" scandal is going to be Hillary?

The only good thing about fake realities is that eventually they come crashing down.
Rip

Post by Rip »

We'll see what happens.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rip wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:48 am Man, you guys are really going to be disappointed when he doesn't lay a glove on Trump. The entire thing is on the verge of falling apart.

Got a source to back up your claim that isn't the NY Post?
Hodor.