The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Zaxxon »

But suh, hahw DAY-uh you impinge mah honah?
Holman

Post by Holman »

When Sessions is fired or resigns, Trump will appoint someone who isn't recused and can fire Mueller.

Then we'll see whether the Republic has any resilience left.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Any replacement AG would have to be confirmed, right? Democrats should raise hell and make sure the person pledges not to fire Mueller, and make GOP senators get on the record that they would not abide him being canned.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote:When Sessions is fired or resigns, Trump will appoint someone who isn't recused and can fire Mueller.

I'm wondering if he would have to fire Rosenstein too.

Regardless, we'd be in deeper than Nixon territory then.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote:
Holman wrote:When Sessions is fired or resigns, Trump will appoint someone who isn't recused and can fire Mueller.

I'm wondering if he would have to fire Rosenstein too.

Regardless, we'd be in deeper than Nixon territory then.
A Sessions replacement would take Rosenstein out of the loop. Rosenstein is only in charge because of Sessions' recusal.

Attorney General Kobach could fire Mueller outright.
PLW

Post by PLW »

wow. This seems like a huge deal, but also a huge intelligence leak. We just disclosed that we can intercept messages from the Russian ambassador to his bosses back home.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that we intercept most every call made from within the US to an overseas country?
Black Lives Matter
PLW

Post by PLW »

Sure..if it was a simple call. I guess I assumed they used more complicated means to report.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Burr largely repudiates the Nunes 'unmasking' fake scandal:
Burr did not raise concerns about allegations that Rice improperly unmasked any US individuals, an issue first raised by House intelligence committee Chairman Devin Nunes.

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes, and I'll wait to go through our full evaluation to see if there was anything improper that happened," Burr said. "But clearly there were individuals unmasked. Some of that became public which it's not supposed to, and our business is to understand that, and explain it."
I will say that so far Burr seems like a semi-unexpected bright spot in this Trump-Russia mess. General indications are that the Senate investigation, led by Burr and Warner, is being conducted seriously.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump on Twitter wrote:While all agree the U. S. President has the complete power to pardon, why think of that when only crime so far is LEAKS against us.FAKE NEWS
This is the most ham-handed dissociative break ever seen.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I like the use of the phrase "so far". I guess even he can acknowledge the inevitable.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is pretty easy to tell when he is lying. He said us in that tweet. "Us" is never a consideration. His ego is all consuming.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

malchior wrote:It is pretty easy to tell when he is lying. He said us in that tweet. "Us" is never a consideration. His ego is all consuming.
Or his ego has taken over completely and he's going for that royal 1st person plural thing.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Daveman wrote:
malchior wrote:It is pretty easy to tell when he is lying. He said us in that tweet. "Us" is never a consideration. His ego is all consuming.
Or his ego has taken over completely and he's going for that royal 1st person plural thing.
He's probably referring to the voices in his head.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

My Precioussssss....
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Watched a forum of "experts" from around the world on "Russian Kleptocracy" randomly on CSPAN last night. They never mentioned Trump at all but to listen to these people on how they explain Russian government/KGB/mafia work essentially as the three branches of government was pretty scary. They say weaponizing the Internet and elections is really a small piece of the picture that has been going on since 1991 and suggest the Panama Papers are much better glimpse at what is going on and how far it reaches and how mafia take over businesses using Russian "Black financing" via anonymous purchase then use business dealings to to leverage their power. They suggest, even though no one can show it, Putin is the most wealthy man in the world and may take in nearly 20 billion a year.

To me, with no knowledge and no details, it's all allegation, but nonetheless, it was effectively scary allegation.

You do have to wonder how Trump can stay so up on Putin while down on every one and everything else and if his "adoption" talks will be the straw that weakens his support. Again they never mention Trump but they talked about adoption talks quite a bit.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote:Watched a forum of "experts" from around the world on "Russian Kleptocracy" randomly on CSPAN last night. They never mentioned Trump at all but to listen to these people on how they explain Russian government/KGB/mafia work essentially as the three branches of government was pretty scary. They say weaponizing the Internet and elections is really a small piece of the picture that has been going on since 1991 and suggest the Panama Papers are much better glimpse at what is going on and how far it reaches and how mafia take over businesses using Russian "Black financing" via anonymous purchase then use business dealings to to leverage their power. They suggest, even though no one can show it, Putin is the most wealthy man in the world and may take in nearly 20 billion a year.

To me, with no knowledge and no details, it's all allegation, but nonetheless, it was effectively scary allegation.

You do have to wonder how Trump can stay so up on Putin while down on every one and everything else and if his "adoption" talks will be the straw that weakens his support. Again they never mention Trump but they talked about adoption talks quite a bit.
It also shows why the Magnitsky Act is so bloody important to them as a vehicle for laundering/stashing money away from Russia.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

LordMortis wrote:They suggest, even though no one can show it, Putin is the most wealthy man in the world and may take in nearly 20 billion a year.
This suggests a simple fix to the Russia/Trump problem. The media, Dems and Pubs need to start playing up how much more money Putin has than Trump. Boom! Trump stops kissing Putin's ass.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Fitzy wrote:
LordMortis wrote:They suggest, even though no one can show it, Putin is the most wealthy man in the world and may take in nearly 20 billion a year.
This suggests a simple fix to the Russia/Trump problem. The media, Dems and Pubs need to start playing up how much more money Putin has than Trump. Boom! Trump stops kissing Putin's ass.
Trump may concede 3 scoops to Putin, but no more.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Sleazy Adam Schiff, the totally biased Congressman looking into "Russia," spends all of his time on television pushing the Dem loss excuse!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 24, 2017
With respect Mr. President, the problem is how often you watch TV, and that your comments and actions are beneath the dignity of the office.

— Adam Schiff (@RepAdamSchiff) July 24, 2017
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Here we go....

President Trump has floated the possibility of replacing Attorney General Jeff Sessions with former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R), Axios reported Monday
Axios reports that Trump regularly considers personnel switch-ups, but doesn't always act. Pondering about bringing in Giuliani may fall under this umbrella.
Oh let's hope - but actually, it seems such an amazingly clear move.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Defiant wrote:
Sleazy Adam Schiff, the totally biased Congressman looking into "Russia," spends all of his time on television pushing the Dem loss excuse!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 24, 2017
With respect Mr. President, the problem is how often you watch TV, and that your comments and actions are beneath the dignity of the office.

— Adam Schiff (@RepAdamSchiff) July 24, 2017
Should have been "With all due respect..."

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Pyperkub wrote:
Should have been "With all due respect..."
Probably a twitter length thing.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

undue, though, right?
So the admission is telling.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote:undue, though, right?
So the admission is telling.
my version was dripping snark at the time. Implying respect for the office, not the man in it, etc.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yesterday was the first time I'd ever heard Kushner's voice. He even sounds like a weasel.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:Yesterday was the first time I'd ever heard Kushner's voice. He even sounds like a weasel.
A shanda fur di goyim.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Clinton lost, but Republicans still want to investigate her
Democrat Hillary Clinton lost the 2016 election to President Donald Trump, but some Republicans in Congress are intensifying their calls to investigate her and other Obama administration officials. As investigations into Russian meddling and possible links to Trump's campaign have escalated on both sides of the Capitol, some Republicans argue that the investigations should have a greater focus on Democrats. Democrats who have pushed the election probes "have started a war of investigative attrition," said GOP Rep. Steve King of Iowa, a member of the House Judiciary Committee. Several officials from former President Barack Obama's administration and Clinton's campaign have appeared before or been interviewed by the House and Senate Intelligence Committees as part of the Russia investigation, along with Trump campaign officials.
I'm perplexed as to whether Congresscritter King's battle cry should be "Remember Benghazi!" or "Forget Benghazi!" I suppose it depends on whether one is speaking of the event or the investigation. With proper application of doublethink, perhaps both slogans could be used simultaneously... :think:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

WaPo is reporting tonight that Trump himself dictated DonJr's first misleading account of the Trump Tower meeting with the Russians, the one that said it was about adoption and not campaign-related issues.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote:WaPo is reporting tonight that Trump himself dictated DonJr's first misleading account of the Trump Tower meeting with the Russians, the one that said it was about adoption and not campaign-related issues.
Geez. It has to be a matter of time before it all goes up in smoke, right? RIGHT?
Hodor.
tgb

Post by tgb »

You mean he lied in the statement and then lied about lieing in the statement?

Shocking.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

pr0ner wrote:
Holman wrote:WaPo is reporting tonight that Trump himself dictated DonJr's first misleading account of the Trump Tower meeting with the Russians, the one that said it was about adoption and not campaign-related issues.
Geez. It has to be a matter of time before it all goes up in smoke, right? RIGHT?
No.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

House Judiciary Committee member calls for Mueller to resign.Cites Mueller's friendship with Comey as the reason:
Franks claims Mueller is violating a law governing the special counsel that prohibits him from serving if he has a “conflict of interest,” which includes “a personal relationship with any person substantially involved in the conduct that is the subject of the investigation or prosecution.”

Franks cited a Fox News report from May that cast Mueller and former FBI Director James Comey as “longtime allies.” Mueller served as the FBI Director when Comey was the Deputy Attorney General in 2003. The Russia investigation has expanded to include possible ties between the Trump campaign and Russia and the president’s decision to fire the FBI director.

“Bob Mueller is in clear violation of federal code and must resign to maintain the integrity of the investigation into alleged Russian ties,” Franks said in a statement.

“Those who worked under them have attested he and Jim Comey possess a close friendship, and they have delivered on-the-record statements effusing praise of one another.”
Funny how now conflicts of interest suddenly seem to matter.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
On the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit in Germany last month, President Trump’s advisers discussed how to respond to a new revelation that Trump’s oldest son had met with a Russian lawyer during the 2016 campaign — a disclosure the advisers knew carried political and potentially legal peril.

The strategy, the advisers agreed, should be for Donald Trump Jr. to release a statement to get ahead of the story. They wanted to be truthful, so their account couldn’t be repudiated later if the full details emerged.

But within hours, at the president’s direction, the plan changed.

Flying home from Germany on July 8 aboard Air Force One, Trump personally dictated a statement in which Trump Jr. said that he and the Russian lawyer had “primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children” when they met in June 2016, according to multiple people with knowledge of the deliberations. The statement, issued to the New York Times as it prepared an article, emphasized that the subject of the meeting was “not a campaign issue at the time.”
The extent of the president’s personal intervention in his son’s response, the details of which have not previously been reported, adds to a series of actions that Trump has taken that some advisers fear could place him and some members of his inner circle in legal jeopardy.
“This was . . . unnecessary,” said one of the president’s advisers, who like most other people interviewed for this article spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive internal deliberations. “Now someone can claim he’s the one who attempted to mislead. Somebody can argue the president is saying he doesn’t want you to say the whole truth.”
Although misleading the public or the news media is not a crime, advisers to Trump and his family told The Washington Post that they fear any indication that Trump was seeking to hide information about contacts between his campaign and Russians almost inevitably would draw additional scrutiny from Mueller.

Trump, they say, is increasingly acting as his own lawyer, strategist and publicist, often disregarding the recommendations of the professionals he has hired.
Because Trump believes he is innocent, some advisers explained, he therefore does not think he is at any legal risk for a coverup. In his mind, they said, there is nothing to conceal.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Senate confirms Wray as next FBI director
The Senate on Tuesday voted overwhelmingly to confirm Christopher A. Wray as the next FBI director, filling the critical post that has remained vacant since President Trump fired James B. Comey in May.

Trump’s firing of Comey immediately led to accusations that he was trying to impede the bureau’s Russia investigation and ultimately led to the appointment of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III. Comey later testified that Trump asked him for a “loyalty” oath and to drop a probe of former national security adviser Michael T. Flynn’s contacts with Russian officials.

Wray, a former senior Justice Department official known for his low-key demeanor, told lawmakers during his confirmation hearing that he would never pledge loyalty to the president and that if Trump ever pressured him to drop an investigation, he would push back or resign. This pledge appeared to gain him the confidence of Senate Judiciary Committee lawmakers, who unanimously approved his nomination and urged their colleagues to vote in favor of his confirmation.

The vote was 92 to 5 with five Democrats voting against his nomination.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

News is breaking this afternoon that Mueller has impaneled a grand jury in the Russia probe.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Is this trustable FakeNews? Or Louise Mensch-like breaking news?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

ImLawBoy wrote:Is this trustable FakeNews? Or Louise Mensch-like breaking news?
WSJ is first, but I'm sure it will be everywhere soon.

(And hey I wouldn't be coming in here treating Mensch like real news after learning her schtick.)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Might just impanel to get a no bill so it can be put to bed.

Not suggesting that is likely, just that it is a possibility to be prepared for.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh wow. On Trump's first official day of vacation. That's a real bummer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go