The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Defiant

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Defiant »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:57 pm
OK, so if Rooney, Gowdy and the Democrats all believe the report is false, how in the heck did it get released? Doesn't there have to at least be a majority on the Committee to vote for release?

Something stinks here... and for once it isn't Nunes...
It hasn't gotten released, yet, IIUC (there's a vote next week). But, IIUC, Rooney called for it to end because of the investigations lack of credibility, and that things were being leaked and such. In other words, I think he's saying that both sides are using it in a partisan political way.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

NY Times reporting Mueller has subpoenaed Trump Organization records. :pop:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Gloves have come off. They know where this likely leads.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

What's RUMINT?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:06 pm NY Times reporting Mueller has subpoenaed Trump Organization records. :pop:
From what I read it was actually a few weeks ago that the subpoena went out which might go a long way to explaining Drumpf's increasingly erratic behavior recently.

Others here have said it previously: while I follow politics closely I'm not generally one to go out and march, but I'll be in the streets with everyone else if they fire Mueller.
Last edited by Sepiche on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:51 pmWhat's RUMINT?
Rumor Intelligence.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:52 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:51 pmWhat's RUMINT?
Rumor Intelligence.
HUMINT with an an extra line: ¯
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:52 pmOthers here have said it previously: while I follow politics closely I'm not generally one to go out and march, but I'll be in the streets with everyone else if they fire Mueller.
Indeed. If Mueller is canned, we've crossed the Rubicon.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

You keep seeing articles referring to firing Mueller as "political suicide" but I keep thinking - isn't almost everything Trump does political suicide? Yet he's still standing and his party is behind him 99%.

I mean, does anyone believe Trump firing Mueller would cause Republicans to finally go, "Well, that's the final straw! Commence with impeachment proceedings immediately!" Of course not. You may have a few stragglers speak out against it. Paul Ryan would probably stand up there and call it "unfortunate" before crawling back into his weasel hole.

What scares me is that we're looking at this as if we're still playing by old rules. And there are no more rules. Trump is a suicide bomber. He's not afraid of political death. He's a honey badger, and honey badger don't care.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:48 pm You keep seeing articles referring to firing Mueller as "political suicide" but I keep thinking - isn't almost everything Trump does political suicide? Yet he's still standing and his party is behind him 99%.
I agree - the Republicans have been an insurgent party for years. They do not care about anything other than aiding the rich looting the US Treasury and absolute power. They are completely corrupt.
I mean, does anyone believe Trump firing Mueller would cause Republicans to finally go, "Well, that's the final straw! Commence with impeachment proceedings immediately!" Of course not. You may have a few stragglers speak out against it. Paul Ryan would probably stand up there and call it "unfortunate" before crawling back into his weasel hole.

What scares me is that we're looking at this as if we're still playing by old rules. And there are no more rules. Trump is a suicide bomber. He's not afraid of political death. He's a honey badger, and honey badger don't care.
Correct and anyone who doesn't think our democracy isn't in severe danger is missing the forest from the trees. The man is boxed in and waiting until the Democrat wave lands and begins the investigations is foolish. Firing Mueller now makes a ton of sense for that reason alone. He is a fucking moron but he has been a successful con man for years and he has survival skills and instincts. And everyone of those impulses is likely screaming out because his family is in real danger now.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I don’t think a single Trump voter would bat an eye if Mueller is fired. After all, Trump is innocent and Mueller hasn’t found any evidence of collusion.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:11 pm
Sepiche wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:52 pmOthers here have said it previously: while I follow politics closely I'm not generally one to go out and march, but I'll be in the streets with everyone else if they fire Mueller.
That used to be my line. I fear I've goalpost was moved and I feel guilty for not marching in the streets now. I'm fairly certain that would move me from feeling guilty for taking no action to answering a call for action, even if I don't know what that is. As far as today goes, I'm willing to put up with this shit and pick up the pieces if Mueller finds no wrong doing. I'm not willing to put up with him being shut down by any federal force with which I may perceive an agenda. That's pretty much the line in the sand.
msteelers wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:56 pm I don’t think a single Trump voter would bat an eye if Mueller is fired. After all, Trump is innocent and Mueller hasn’t found any evidence of collusion.
I hope you're wrong because that conversation stops then all conversations stop... Well for me anyway. I've already given up on too many.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:48 pm Paul Ryan would probably stand up there and call it "unfortunate" before crawling back into his weasel hole.
So accurate and so sad. He’s so predictable.
Ok, that cracked me up!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:08 pm
That used to be my line.
My line is one step further. Mueller getting canned isn't the straw that will break the camel's back for me. The final straw will be the government response to Mueller getting fired. Firing him only takes two people, Trump and a Trump henchman. Letting the firing go will take a lot more people willing to play along.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It takes a lot to flip me from observer to actor. This would do that. And if it gets me off my fat old lazy ass, it's going to do the same for a lot of other ordinarily passive people.

We can't let the rule of law die without a fight. I have a pitchfork and I'm not afraid to wave it around menacingly.
Pyperkub

Re: Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Pyperkub »

Zaxxon wrote:
Yes and no. I think Mueller has planned for this eventuality too. Not sure if he goes nuclear with everything or the investigation proceeds without him at the state level. I also don't think the FBI would take kindly to it.

Regardless, the investigation is bigger than Mueller.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wonder if any international news organizations published anything interesting today?
Donald Trump’s private company was “actively negotiating” a business deal in Moscow with a sanctioned Russian bank during the 2016 election campaign, according to a memo by Democratic lawmakers investigating possible collusion between the campaign and the Kremlin.
I need to believe there are firewall contingencies in place regarding the possible firing of Mueller at this point. Because it's pretty goddamn clear the GOP controlled Congress isn't going to do a thing. If for some reason Mueller can be fired and there aren't any repercussions? Then collectively we are in big trouble.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

msteelers wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:56 pm I don’t think a single Trump voter would bat an eye if Mueller is fired. After all, Trump is innocent and Mueller hasn’t found any evidence of collusion.
Absolutely true.

1) I want to believe that the Drumpf org subpoenaed will produce criminal charge worthy evidence, I just can't get my hopes up. It will hurt too much if this charlatan goes free without a major fight.

2) Literally nothing will happen if Mueller gets fired. Not a damn thing. Even marching in the streets will be for naught. I can't believe he hasn't done it yet.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:03 pm I wonder if any international news organizations published anything interesting today?
Donald Trump’s private company was “actively negotiating” a business deal in Moscow with a sanctioned Russian bank during the 2016 election campaign, according to a memo by Democratic lawmakers investigating possible collusion between the campaign and the Kremlin.
I need to believe there are firewall contingencies in place regarding the possible firing of Mueller at this point. Because it's pretty goddamn clear the GOP controlled Congress isn't going to do a thing. If for some reason Mueller can be fired and there aren't any repercussions? Then collectively we are in big trouble.
Well, I have to imagine a couple things:

(1) Various activist groups (and Democratic leaders) have to have been planning for a Mueller firing, since it's been in the air for probably a year at this point. I think mass marches in the street are virtually certain. We're getting into the meat of midterm season, and "What is Trump hiding?" and "We need real oversight" are pretty simple and powerful campaign messages. Note that despite Fox News shenanigans, polling has indicated that 2/3rds of Americans, including a majority of Republicans, want Mueller to finish his proble.

(2) Mueller is obviously aware of the risk that he'll be suddenly fired. I have to imagine he has done *some* thinking and planning around that fact. He obviously knows a ton at this point. This is pure speculation, but if you were Mueller, wouldn't you have "killshot" indictments (e.g., Kushner, Trump Jr., *maybe* Trump himself if he is thinking along those lines) more or less ready to go for an "in case of emergency" scenario? One downside to the "fire Sessions and replace him with Pruitt" option is that it takes at least some time, in which Mueller could fire those indictments, greatly complicating the firing of Mueller.

If and when all this goes down, I have negative faith in Ryan. However, McConnell hasn't (to his mild credit) gone full Ryan, and by most accounts has let the Senate run a real investigation (still ongoing). All it takes is democrats + 2 republicans (say, Flake and McCain) to do stuff like hire Mueller to run the Senate investigation. I wouldn't count on it exactly, but it is a hope.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

GreenGoo wrote:
2) Literally nothing will happen if Mueller gets fired. Not a damn thing.
That’s not fair; I’m pretty sure Lindsey Graham will release a statement saying that Mueller’s firing is “troubling”.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

I refuse to joke about Vanessa Trump bc it's NEVER funny when a couple files for an uncontested quick divorce, one where assets can be swiftly transferred, on the same day an independent special counsel subpoenas their family business. People, this could happen to you someday.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

That's certainly an ominous take.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And yet...
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

msteelers wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:56 am That's certainly an ominous take.
That's actually the first thing I thought of. Moving/hiding assets.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Couldn't Mueller just subpoena Vanessa Trump? And if so, wouldn't the resulting documentation of financial transfers be incredibly incriminating?
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:57 am Couldn't Mueller just subpoena Vanessa Trump? And if so, wouldn't the resulting documentation of financial transfers be incredibly incriminating?
And yet...
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:57 am Couldn't Mueller just subpoena Vanessa Trump? And if so, wouldn't the resulting documentation of financial transfers be incredibly incriminating?
And yet...
Not to say that they wouldn't try this, it just seems super unlikely to work.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:35 am Not to say that they wouldn't try this, it just seems super unlikely to work.
Agreed. That also describes a majority of their actions in total. And yet...
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:35 am Not to say that they wouldn't try this, it just seems super unlikely to work.
Trump Boys Forge Father’s Signature On Letters They Wrote Excusing Them From Any More Testifying.
WASHINGTON—Hastily scrawling with crayons and markers, Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump were reportedly forging their father’s signature Wednesday on letters they had written excusing them from any further testifying as part of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into their family’s role in potential Russian election interference. “To ALL it may conzern, my two beutiful Sons are herebye Excused from anymore testifonials to mean mister Muler,” the two wrote on dozens of pieces of construction paper before Donald Jr. falsified his father’s signature, following a heated hour-long argument over who did a better imitation of the president’s handwriting. “My son’s Eric Jr and Dom haev a realy bad sick thing in their throats Forever now so they cant talk to mr. Muller ever again and he should leave Them alone okay? Sincerly the Presdient of United states.” At press time, the Trump boys were enclosing the letters in envelopes addressed to a variety of government agencies, police departments, and fire stations around the country as well as affixing stickers of gold stars or American flags to ensure each envelope looked official.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Plus this subpoena went out weeks ago, so a divorce *now* wouldn't help even in theory.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:50 am
Plus this subpoena went out weeks ago, so a divorce *now* wouldn't help even in theory.
This is the same guy who tweeted out the emails about the Trump Tower meeting, apparently thinking they exonerated him. Just because it wouldn't help doesn't mean he won't try anyway.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

So she's simply jumping off the S.S. Sinking Drumpf before she gets sucked down in the wake?

I mean, I'm sure the Trump Organization's records are going to be like pulling on a magic rope that never stops unraveling. I don't think anyone will escape that.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:35 am So she's simply jumping off the S.S. Sinking Drumpf before she gets sucked down in the wake?

I mean, I'm sure the Trump Organization's records are going to be like pulling on a magic rope that never stops unraveling. I don't think anyone will escape that.
Who knows? I mean, arguably the most plausible explanation is that Trump Jr. is an asshole whom she no longer wants to spend time with.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I suppose I figured personality didn't matter and they were all held together by money.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It seems likely that money played a significant role in their relationship. But, there are individuals that no amount of money would convince you to stay married to them.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:37 pm
Paingod wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:35 am So she's simply jumping off the S.S. Sinking Drumpf before she gets sucked down in the wake?

Who knows? I mean, arguably the most plausible explanation is that Trump Jr. is an asshole whom she no longer wants to spend time with.
I'm guessing be an asshole and corrupt has only been exacerbated by his public position in the last two years. However, I wouldn't bat an eyelash if you told me she wanted out because she saw this an opportunity not to go down with the ship.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

FWIW, she didn't hire a *Divorce* Attorney, she hired a *Criminal Defense* Attorney to represent her:
Vanessa Trump hired a criminal defense attorney to represent her in her divorce from Donald Trump Jr. just as special counsel Robert Mueller subpoenaed the president’s family business, The Post has learned...

...Vanessa and Don Jr. claimed in a joint statement that their split after 12 years of marriage was not acrimonious.

“It’s a curious choice if it’s an amicable separation,” Manhattan family law expert Bonnie Rabin said of Vanessa’s attorney.

“If it’s an amicable situation, you wouldn’t be highlighting the criminal aspect,” noted Rabin, who is not involved in the case.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

EDIT: I didn't realize I had a simultaneous post with Pyperkub. As the rules require, I will delete my entry in shame.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Because amicable divorces are the norm.

Who hires a criminal defense attorney for an unamicable divorce?