The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Daveman

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Daveman »

That tweet has supposedly been confirmed, he was at the Russian meeting but left early and was back in DC.

Hate that this might be used as an example of "fake news".
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Business Insider
Paul Manafort is being held in solitary confinement in a Virginia jail while he awaits trial, according to a document his lawyer filed Thursday.

Manafort's lawyer Kevin Downing said Manafort is being held for 23 hours a day because "the facility cannot otherwise guarantee his safety" and complained he cannot adequately prepare for his upcoming trial, which is slated for July 25.

Assistant special counsel Scott Meisler hit back with a reply also filed Thursday. In it, Meisler wrote the appeal notion should be denied, as Manafort's actions were "committed through covert corrupt persuasion" and that the terms of his sentence "are common to defendants incarcerated pending trial."

The filing also said Manafort has not taken any action to improve his confinement conditions.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daveman wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:53 am That tweet has supposedly been confirmed, he was at the Russian meeting but left early and was back in DC.

Hate that this might be used as an example of "fake news".
Well, that's good to know.

He went to Moscow to massage Putin's KGB balls, but at least he got home in time for fireworks.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The optics of going to Russia to meet with your financial benefactors despite Russia having played a not insignificant part in manipulating the election, on or near July 4th has got to be awful for anyone who still cares about that sort of thing.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:26 pm for anyone who still cares about that sort of thing.
And there you have it. I suppose those of us that care might care too much while those that have the power over caring... don't.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

What really stands out is just how easy it would be to avoid these optics just a little, by simply doing it on some other day.

It's a lot like the "I really don't care, Do U?" jacket. So easy to not do, so obvious... it seems it must be on purpose.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'd be willing to bet that the Russians made sure these meetings would happen July 4. They know optics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That's chilling. All I can say is that, if it's true, I hope Mueller's methodically documenting every bit of it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:09 am
That's chilling. All I can say is that, if it's true, I hope Mueller's methodically documenting every bit of it.
I don't worry about Mueller's ability to document all this given enough time, especially given how poor Trump's people seem to be about hiding their handiwork. I do worry quite a bit about, if it's as bad as it might be, how that would impact Trump's response to all of this as it starts to come out. Also the arguments about how Putin seems likely to try to manipulate the 2018 and 2020 elections are unsettling.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It's certainly interesting, but I think Trump is too much of a narcissistic fool to be controlled by anybody. Influenced and manipulated like a puppet, sure, but pwned, not owned.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

How is being ‘manipulated like a puppet’ not the very same thing as ‘controlled by someone’?
tgb

Post by tgb »

A must read:

My greatest fear at this point is that Mueller and/or Rosenstein has an "accident".
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:05 am How is being ‘manipulated like a puppet’ not the very same thing as ‘controlled by someone’?
I think Pyperkub's point is that Trump is not a willing secret agent of Putin; he's just a soft-minded dupe who responds to Putin's flattery, funding, and example of authoritarian power.

The wrinkle is that even Trump understands that crossing Putin is no longer an option. He's in too deep, and exposure (which Putin could accomplish with a single document-dump) would destroy him.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sadly, I’m not sure even a pee tape would hurt Trump as much as the article suggests. His supporters are dug in deep, out of necessity.

He’s so bad, they have to go full hard-on for Trump, dismissing all the criticism, or admit to having made a HUGE mistake.

I’ve not seen anybody in the media or anecdotally in my circles, state their regret over a Trump vote. Doubling down is apparently the preferred route.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Yeah, I don't think the Pee tape is the worst thing Putin is holding.

Clear proof of money-laundering and other financial crimes would do real damage not just to Trump but to his whole family, and it wouldn't depend on the Deplorables' opinions.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

If Trump thinks he could shoot someone on broad daylight on 5th Avenue,I don't think he cares about a pee tape.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

tgb wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 am A must read:
My greatest fear at this point is that Mueller and/or Rosenstein has an "accident".
Indeed. The author was on NPR a few weeks ago, and the interview was quite disturbing. I posted it, but it was lost in whatever other nonsense happened that particular day.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:47 pm Business Insider
Paul Manafort is being held in solitary confinement in a Virginia jail while he awaits trial, according to a document his lawyer filed Thursday.

Manafort's lawyer Kevin Downing said Manafort is being held for 23 hours a day because "the facility cannot otherwise guarantee his safety" and complained he cannot adequately prepare for his upcoming trial, which is slated for July 25.

Assistant special counsel Scott Meisler hit back with a reply also filed Thursday. In it, Meisler wrote the appeal notion should be denied, as Manafort's actions were "committed through covert corrupt persuasion" and that the terms of his sentence "are common to defendants incarcerated pending trial."

The filing also said Manafort has not taken any action to improve his confinement conditions.
WaPo
A federal judge in Alexandria has ordered Paul Manafort to be moved to the city jail, although Manafort has asked to stay in a Northern Neck facility where prosecutors say he is receiving special treatment.

Judge T.S. Ellis wrote in a filing published Wednesday that Manafort’s “access to counsel and his ability to prepare for trial trumps his personal comfort.”

Manafort, the former Trump campaign manager, had asked for his July 25 federal trial in Alexandria on bank and tax fraud charges to be delayed in large part because it was difficult to prepare while incarcerated 100 miles away. But on Tuesday, Manafort resisted being moved to Alexandria, arguing that while the city jail would be more convenient, he did not want to adjust to new circumstances so close to trial.

“It is surprising and confusing when counsel identifies a problem and then opposes the most logical solution to that problem,” Ellis wrote. “The dissonance between defendant’s motion to continue and motion opposing transfer to the Alexandria Detention Center cannot easily be explained or resolved.”

Prosecutors said in a court filing Wednesday that Manafort has told people he is being treated like a “VIP” in the Northern Neck jail, where he has his own phone and computer, writes emails and does not have to wear a uniform.
In a recent phone call they say he explained in vague terms why he wanted to go to trial first in D.C. federal court, where he faces related charges in a trial set for September.

“Think about how it’ll play elsewhere,” Manafort said, according to the court filing. “There is a strategy to it, even in failure, but there’s a hope in it.”

In recent phone calls, they say Manafort also has said he has “all my files like I would at home,” has “gone through all the discovery now,” and is being treated like a “VIP.”

Manafort speaks to his attorneys every day and often multiple times a day, they said. While the calls are limited to 15 minutes in length, there is no limit on how many calls he can make.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:19 pm
WaPo
A federal judge in Alexandria has ordered Paul Manafort to be moved to the city jail, although Manafort has asked to stay in a Northern Neck facility where prosecutors say he is receiving special treatment.

Judge T.S. Ellis wrote in a filing published Wednesday that Manafort’s “access to counsel and his ability to prepare for trial trumps his personal comfort.”

Manafort, the former Trump campaign manager, had asked for his July 25 federal trial in Alexandria on bank and tax fraud charges to be delayed in large part because it was difficult to prepare while incarcerated 100 miles away. But on Tuesday, Manafort resisted being moved to Alexandria, arguing that while the city jail would be more convenient, he did not want to adjust to new circumstances so close to trial.

“It is surprising and confusing when counsel identifies a problem and then opposes the most logical solution to that problem,” Ellis wrote. “The dissonance between defendant’s motion to continue and motion opposing transfer to the Alexandria Detention Center cannot easily be explained or resolved.”
That's funny. Who knew judges had a sense of humor?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm watching the Strok hearing now. Hot take - the Republicans are as hyperbolic and unhinged as the boss. Goodlatte was insane. You wouldn't think Gowdy was actually retiring based on his behavior. Or that he wasn't drunk or on a depressant. It was unreal. I can't wait for the considered takes later in the day.

Edit: Honestly this hearing is off the wall grandstanding. The short of it is it is essentially Strok saying the FBI counsel has instructed him not to answer questions and then Republicans beating on him because they have him testifying under sub poena. A DOJ lawyer was sitting feet away and you could clearly see him saying you can't answer over and over. Unreal.

Here is the opening if you want to punch your monitor. Highlight hot mike moment - "Are you just going to make up rules as you go along [sic]". Why yes Goodlatte will indeed. Because he literally set out to cause this confrontation and was reading the whole thing from a prepared set of notes. He starts falling apart as the D's kept throwing Parliamentary rules at him and Goodlatte just started wildly flailing. The crescendo being when he forbade the witness from talking to the FBI attorney and Dems started openly mocking Goodlatte. Clown shoes.

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Some righteous indignation here. :shock:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did I just really listen to a committee chair tell an FBI employee that the Supreme Court has indicated he has an obligation as a private citizen to answer the question posed to him in his official duties as an FBI agent? What in the actual fuck is happening in that hearing? Is there some type of strategy where they think they can just force answers to their questions about an ongoing investigation? This is their plan?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 pm Did I just really listen to a committee chair tell an FBI employee that the Supreme Court has indicated he has an obligation as a private citizen to answer the question posed to him in his official duties as an FBI agent? What in the actual fuck is happening in that hearing? Is there some type of strategy where they think they can just force answers to their questions about an ongoing investigation? This is their plan?
The point is just to generate some clips that can be used on Fox News and talk radio.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The old quote that says, "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" is meant to be a joke, not a legal strategy.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Gah, it stopped right when ShittyLatte was about to pop a blood vessel. I wanted to see that! Where’s the rest? Did it result in a British Parliament style brawl?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:37 pm Gah, it stopped right when ShittyLatte was about to pop a blood vessel. I wanted to see that! Where’s the rest? Did it result in a British Parliament style brawl?
I only wish - the open mocking was pretty good. I usually eye roll at the response to these antics but sheer mockery was appropriate since this was hip deep horse shit. They obviously had a game plan ready and Goodlatte not being ready for that was wonderful! He definitely isn't the sharpest on his feet.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's looking like they've made the same mistake they made with Hillary Clinton: putting the testimony on live TV so that everyone can see how ridiculously baseless their "investigation" is.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Rip wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:24 pm Is it time for leftist McCarthyism already.

Commies becomes racists and homophobes. Seems like desperation is in the wind.

This should be the best midterm election we have seen in a while. If the Republicans maintain control of the Senate I suspect the left will go into full meltdown mode.

I was actually a little disappointed with the pick. I would really like to see a well qualified conservative woman on the court.
LOL, silly goose. We got some new McCarthyism happening right now in the Strzok hearings. Course it's still from the right, but you got half of what you wanted. Yay?
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:10 pm It's looking like they've made the same mistake they made with Hillary Clinton: putting the testimony on live TV so that everyone can see how ridiculously baseless their "investigation" is.
eh. The number of people watching live has to be close to zero, right? And they can just slice out a few clips in isolation to use in conservative media. I don't know that this is going to move the needle much, but it's not obviously a failure from the GOP's perspective.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Still, making it visible is very different from closed hearings where the GOP committee leaders can selectively release whatever they think looks most Deep State.

Strzok's monologue shown above is going to be the defining clip. In closed hearings, we would never have seen it at all.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:20 pm Still, making it visible is very different from closed hearings where the GOP committee leaders can selectively release whatever they think looks most Deep State.

Strzok's monologue shown above is going to be the defining clip. In closed hearings, we would never have seen it at all.
Yeah, but with closed hearings you don't get any video to show on Hannity. You need to see the villain to do the two-minute hate.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Classy. Hilarious to hear the Congresswoman asking him if he took his medication!

Holman

Post by Holman »

Good to know that marital fidelity is a GOP litmus test. Let's run with that.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The Republican assertion that Strok's "bias" taints the investigation and renders him incapable of disregarding personal bias is self refuting. Is Strok's bias disqualifies him, then their pro-Trump bias disqualifies them from investigating him and render an impartial judgement. I wish someone had brought this up at the hearing today.

Furthermore, criminal investigators investigate people all of the time for which they have personal bias. I doubt that the FBI likes organized crime bosses, or the local police like a lot of the multiple convicted offenders they pick up oftentimes. But we generally don't accuse them of bias in those investigations. because we believe they are professionals and try go where the evidence takes them.

The hearings were a joke and a circus.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:16 am The Republican assertion that Strok's "bias" taints the investigation and renders him incapable of disregarding personal bias is self refuting. Is Strok's bias disqualifies him, then their pro-Trump bias disqualifies them from investigating him and render an impartial judgement. I wish someone had brought this up at the hearing today.

Furthermore, criminal investigators investigate people all of the time for which they have personal bias. I doubt that the FBI likes organized crime bosses, or the local police like a lot of the multiple convicted offenders they pick up oftentimes. But we generally don't accuse them of bias in those investigations. because we believe they are professionals and try go where the evidence takes them.

The hearings were a joke and a circus.
It's even dumber than that. Republicans are charging that Strzok was investigating Trump before the election in order to throw the election to Clinton. But if that's the case...WHY THE HELL DIDN'T HE THROW THE ELECTION TO CLINTON? They're saying that he spent months digging up whatever dirt in order to use it against Trump...but never actually did. I guess he just forgot!
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That's what annoys me the most about the Republican Party. The bullshit is transparently stupid.

But it's all intended to be filtered through the FOX/InfoWars propaganda machine.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:05 am That's what annoys me the most about the Republican Party. The bullshit is transparently stupid.

But it's all intended to be filtered through the FOX/InfoWars propaganda machine.
They've discovered just how low the bar is, and how much their base enjoys sensational "Jerry Springer" style TV.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:55 am
Zarathud wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:05 am That's what annoys me the most about the Republican Party. The bullshit is transparently stupid.

They've discovered just how low the bar is, and how much their base enjoys sensational "Jerry Springer" style TV.
Oh, we're beyond Jerry Springer.

Enlarge Image