For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:30 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:29 pm
LordMortis wrote:
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:00 am Nonsense. I have it on high authority that any investigations into Trump-related businesses or persons is nothing but a WITCH HUNT.
I have in on high authority that he has checked in to it and multiple sources say he can pardon himself, so don't waste the money. He won't have to pardon himself because he's not guilty and he hasn't even thought about it but he can, in fact, pardon himself.
I know this is a joke, but can he actually pardon himself from state charges? I thought his authority was just for federal charges.
Yes, just federal.
You can't even investigate Trump for unlawful political coordination when #TheMemo has already shown there was NO COLLUSION and ended the investigation. This is just more deep state conspiracy from Crooked Hillary and Slippery James Comey. Worse than Watergate. End this WITCH HUNT hoax. No obstruction. No crime.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Is that real?

That's horrible form if it is. Both revealing data ahead of time and following/cavorting with a 3rd party group against the president.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:46 pm
Is that real?

That's horrible form if it is. Both revealing data ahead of time and following/cavorting with a 3rd party group against the president.
You realize this website is like a step down from The Onion?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

gilraen wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:50 pm
Is that real?

No, I didn't, and it wasn't funny at all so I'm not sure why it was posted.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Is that real?

Beyond bad form. It sounds like a lie to me. I sure hope it's a lie.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Is that real?

From the url, I'm guessing no. Particularly since it lines up nicely with Star Wars being shown to a dying fan.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Whew

https://www.clickhole.com/what-is-clickhole-1824216059
What if I want to sue ClickHole?

Please do not do that. The First Amendment protects satire as a form of free speech and expression. ClickHole uses invented names in all of its stories, except in cases where public figures are being satirized. Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental. ClickHole is not intended for readers under 18 years of age.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Clickhole is the Onion's version of Buzzfeed.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Clearly bad "satire".

But if you're still not convinced:
ClickHole (temporarily known as Cruft and PatriotHole) is a satirical website from The Onion that parodies clickbait websites such as BuzzFeed and Upworthy.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Wow. Did not know that folks didn't realize Clickhole was The Onion.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Nice way to provide cover for fakenews.........
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Comey Cited as Insubordinate, but Report Finds No Bias in F.B.I. Decision to Clear Clinton.
WASHINGTON — The former F.B.I. director James B. Comey was insubordinate in his handling of the investigation of Hillary Clinton during the 2016 presidential election, a critical Justice Department report has concluded, according to officials and others who saw or were briefed on it.

But the report, by the department’s inspector general, Michael E. Horowitz, does not challenge the decision not to prosecute Mrs. Clinton. Nor does it conclude that political bias at the F.B.I. influenced that decision, the officials said.

“We found no evidence that the conclusions by department prosecutors were affected by bias or other improper considerations,” the report said, according to one official who read the sentence to The New York Times. “Rather, we concluded that they were based on the prosecutor’s assessment of facts, the law, and past department practice.”
Of course, a lot of the coverage is focused on new texts between Page and Strzok:

Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also in the news:

New York Attorney General Accuses Trump Charity of Sweeping Violations.
The New York State attorney general’s office filed a scathingly worded lawsuit on Thursday taking aim at the Donald J. Trump Foundation, accusing the charity and the Trump family of sweeping violations of campaign finance laws, self-dealing and illegal coordination with the presidential campaign.

The lawsuit, which seeks to dissolve the foundation and bar President Trump and three of his children from serving on nonprofit organizations, was an extraordinary rebuke of a sitting president. The attorney general also sent referral letters to the Internal Revenue Service and the Federal Election Commission for possible further action, adding to Mr. Trump’s extensive legal challenges.

The lawsuit, filed in State Supreme Court in Manhattan, culminated a nearly two-year investigation of Mr. Trump’s charity, which became a subject of scrutiny during and after the 2016 presidential campaign. While such foundations are supposed to be devoted to charitable activities, the petition asserts that Mr. Trump’s was often used to settle legal claims against his various businesses, even spending $10,000 on a portrait of Mr. Trump that was hung at one of his golf clubs.

The foundation was also used to curry political favor, the lawsuit asserts. During the 2016 race, the foundation became a virtual arm of Mr. Trump’s campaign, email traffic showed, with his campaign manager Corey Lewandowski directing its expenditures, even though such foundations are explicitly prohibited from political activities.
Black Lives Matter.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

As if underscoring the problem (h/t Popehat):
Ken Vogel wrote: NOTABLE: The TRUMP FOUNDATION statement pushing back on the @NewYorkStateAG lawsuit alleging the Trump Organization improperly controlled the Trump Foundation came from a Trump Org email address.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

So an FBI official involved in the Russia/Trump campaign investigation texted another official that they're going to stop Trump. Someone who presumably knew what the investigation had turned up at that point. The only thing shocking is that his statement was wrong and Trump was elected.

I'm sure this will be spun into more Deep State conspiracy.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daveman wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:01 pm So an FBI official involved in the Russia/Trump campaign investigation texted another official that they're going to stop Trump. Someone who presumably knew what the investigation had turned up at that point. The only thing shocking is that his statement was wrong and Trump was elected.

I'm sure this will be spun into more Deep State conspiracy.
It's more than enough fuel for Trump's state media to run with. It's overshadowing most of the rest of the report even in some mainstream sources.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Seems like this is (or should be) a big deal.
Black Lives Matter.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Should be, but I'm afraid the "we'll stop" text will dominate everything, regardless that the conclusions of the IG report go in the opposite direction. Only one party has a propaganda machine and the mainstream media is cowed by fear of seeming partisan, so they latch on to shit like this to showcase their non-partiality. Seems like an important test right now whether the media gives "we'll stop" more coverage than things like this:

https://twitter.com/OrinKerr/status/1007300059291979777
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Presumably he did so for the irony.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:30 pmOnly federal.
He can't pardon himself from federal charges either. The idea is asinine. That would essentially put the POTUS above the law.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:28 pm
He can't pardon himself from federal charges either. The idea is asinine. That would essentially put the POTUS above the law.
Which is why his lawyers are pushing the concept that he can and everyone else is shaking their heads "No"
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I mean, that's the point.

But seriously, there is a credible argument that he can. The Constitution gives the President the power to pardon for federal offenses. It does not say anything limiting who he can pardon. You essentially have to read into "pardon" that it necessarily has to be for someone else, but that's not clear cut.

Great job, Founding Fathers.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I guess you'd have to tell me whether the constitution conveys any expectations on the pardon power and how it's used. Would a valid and legal use of it be to have a 3rd party set up a criminal organization to the president's benefit and then simply pardon everyone in it? Would the constitution be ok with that usage? If so, then sure, why not let him pardon himself, SCOTUS? I mean, what difference would it make at that point anyway?

And for the record I was refuting what appeared to be 2 serious back to back claims that the president can in fact pardon himself for federal crimes. We're not there yet and I don't ever expect to be there.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:

But seriously, there is a credible argument that he can. The Constitution gives the President the power to pardon for federal offenses. It does not say anything limiting who he can pardon. You essentially have to read into "pardon" that it necessarily has to be for someone else, but that's not clear cut.

I guess the Founding Fathers thought that the Congress would put a check on the President and impeach him for said crimes for the good of the country instead of blindly supporting the person in office because he belongs to the same political party.

(ha ha ha ha ha... goes off to drink in the corner)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Kind of seems like pardoning oneself is against the entire spirit of the constitution that was written as a series of checks and balances to explicitly prevent a monarchy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Do you think he even cares...or understands?
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:40 pm I guess you'd have to tell me whether the constitution conveys any expectations on the pardon power and how it's used. Would a valid and legal use of it be to have a 3rd party set up a criminal organization to the president's benefit and then simply pardon everyone in it? Would the constitution be ok with that usage? If so, then sure, why not let him pardon himself, SCOTUS? I mean, what difference would it make at that point anyway?

And for the record I was refuting what appeared to be 2 serious back to back claims that the president can in fact pardon himself for federal crimes. We're not there yet and I don't ever expect to be there.
[The President] "shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment".
That's pretty much the entire pardon clause / power. So yeah, he probably could pardon a third party who engaged in crimes for the President's benefit. There isn't any obvious limit on who can be pardoned and for what. The strongest argument against the presidential self-pardon is that the act of pardoning inherently assumes that it's something you do for something else. I guess you could try to extend that principle to someone acting as the President's agent.

For what it's worth the Justice Department concluded in a memo (around the time of Watergate) that the President can't pardon himself. That's not binding precedent for the current President nor for the courts, but it is something.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Presumably he did so for the irony.

link
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Pardoning himself, even if not illegal, is an impeachable offense. Of course, it implies that you have a Congress that's not firmly embedded in the President's ass.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:57 pm

link
I don't disagree with a single thing Comey said there other than his conclusion not to act.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:51 pm
Is that real?

It was a silly thing to post in this thread. It was a stupid joke-website, and this isn't the joke-thread.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:59 pm Wow. Did not know that folks didn't realize Clickhole was The Onion.
I'd be pretty selective about the Onion article's I'd share in this thread as well.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rip wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 pm Nice way to provide cover for fakenews.........
lol, WHAT?!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OH, believe me - my family is close friends with the guy who wrote the book on that (ok, well my wife went to HS with a guy who wrote a book on stuff like this).

It's absurd.

The term "Pardon" is from the same root as the term "Donation"

you cannot 'Donate' to your self, any more than you can Pardon yourself.

That being said --- He can't even pardon a tool of his at the state level -- that's what we are pointing out. (what was asked)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Enjoy another light helping of authoritarianism.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:35 pm

That's not entirely fair/accurate.

While it's true that they made the pardon power pretty powerful, one can gather from their discussions that they never intended the President to be above consideration of the law. They always concluded that a traitor President would be subjec to BOTH impeachment and persecution.

An example would be in how they DID explicitly state how the Vice President would not play a role in an impeachment against the President, where normally the VP would indeed play a leading roll in the Senate's 'judiciary role' --- And Yet --- they never also bothered to point out explicatley that the VP would also NOT play a role in any impeachment proceedings against HIMSELF... it's implied that one cannot be a judge in one's one justice.

So, yeah - they blew it in not being delibrate in their wording there --- but ther is a lot pointing to them not being delibrate because they thought that point was obvious.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi wrote:
noxiousdog wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:51 pm
Is that real?

It was a silly thing to post in this thread. It was a stupid joke-website, and this isn't the joke-thread.
Agreed. Wrong thread for that. Sorry, folks.