The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 pmIt did draw him a warning from multiple House Oversight Committes though, for whatever that's worth.
It is worth a lot. They are demonstrating that taking a stand for values isn't hard. Unfortunately I'm guessing it'll just be swept away as partisan bickering but in essence this is basic accountability at play.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hell of a thread this morning that points out a timeline that connects the story about Trump's meeting with Putin at Hamburg G20 with the adoption meeting story coming out.
All of this begs the question: What did Trump and Putin actually discuss at that impromptu one-on-one dinner meeting at the Hamburg G20 on July 7, 2017? 16/
Moreover, why did they huddle together by themselves within hours of the White House learning that the at-that-point-still-secret Trump Tower meeting between Trump, Jr. and the Russians was about to become public? 17/
Put another way, shortly after the New York Times reached out to the White House to ask about a secret meeting with the Russians, Trump himself sought a secret meeting with the Russians. 18/
Edit: Some are pointing out that this timeline was discussed by some last year but the new element to overlay is the 'confiscation' of the notes.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:04 pm If Cohen's father-in-law is involved in dirty money, and Drumpf knows about it, Drumpf is almost certainly also involved in it.

i.e. careful what you wish for, Mr. President.
Except at this point we already know Trump is/has been involved with all sorts of dirty money and it hasn't made any difference. He's probably feeling pretty secure in his belief that he can't be indicted when president, so there's not all that much more harm that can be done.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Perhaps, but only a fool points out things that so far have been missed.

Saying in public "You forgot this crime over here" is not the work of a mastermind, even if they believe they are immune.

Outside of a Bond movie I guess, but even then they wait until Bond is in their clutches before telling him their plans.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nothing to see here, just a reminder that Trump and Putin have met at least 5 times and what they've discussed is still a mystery:
“What’s disconcerting is the desire to hide information from your own team,” said Andrew S. Weiss, who was a Russia adviser to President Bill Clinton. “The fact that Trump didn’t want the State Department or members of the White House team to know what he was talking with Putin about suggests it was not about advancing our country’s national interest but something more problematic.”

The mystery surrounding the meetings seems to have drawn attention from the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, who is examining ties between the president and Russia. And it has generated a furor in Congress, where Democrats are pushing to subpoena the notes of the president’s interpreters or perhaps the interpreters themselves.
Given everything else we already know, you'd think he would want someone else there to help his argument that there's "no collusion", but I guess when you also know the GOP isn't going to make a big deal out of you destroying notes or ordering interpreters to not speak about what they heard, you do what you want.
“All five of the presidents whom I worked for, Republicans and Democrats, wanted a word-for-word set of notes, if only to protect the integrity of the American side of the conversation against later manipulation by the Soviets or the Russians,” said Victoria J. Nuland, a career diplomat who worked for Dick Cheney and Hillary Clinton, among others.

That would seem an even greater imperative for Mr. Trump, who knew there were questions about his relationship with Mr. Putin given that American intelligence agencies concluded that Moscow tried to help elect him.
I maintain that part of the reason it's taking Mueller to long is that the problem is much, much larger than Trump. He might be the focus but there's no way he was able to get this far and do this much damage on his own.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Has this thread been posted?

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Rudy doing Rudy things.
"I never said there was no collusion between the campaign, or people in the campaign," Giuliani said.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This has to end. This is fn insane.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Dogstar wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:46 pm Rudy doing Rudy things.
"I never said there was no collusion between the campaign, or people in the campaign," Giuliani said.
Giuliani is not great at the lawyer-ing profession.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Giuliani is moving the goalposts before Mueller can score.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:22 amGiuliani is moving the goalposts before Mueller can score.
Which is funny because Mueller is playing chess, not football.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:21 pm Has this thread been posted?

Honestly I think exhaustion is setting in. We're getting hit with 10 95mph fastballs to the head every day and people either can't or won't process things any more. Wouldn't this story, by itself, have sunk almost any presidency all on its own?? This is..I don't even know anymore. It's crazy. But it's just Tuesday in trump world. So so sad
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:11 am
Zarathud wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:22 amGiuliani is moving the goalposts before Mueller can score.
I think Trump is playing Candy Land by trying to eat the pieces.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Defiant wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:59 pm
Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:11 am
I think Trump is playing Candy Land by trying to eat the pieces.
Dude definitely pulled the Ice Cream card and immediately stuffed it in his mouth, and when the other players told him to spit it out, he started chewing spitefully.
Black Lives Matter

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

The more of this that comes out the more and more I get pissed at James Comey. He has become a bigger and bigger idiot in my eyes every day. How he could possibly think announcing anything about Hillary's emails was important for the public to know while simultaneously believing that we did not need to know the truth regarding tRump baffles me more and more.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know, but my feeling is that unless something he did, found, documented, etc... is used to help buttress the case against Trump, history will not be kind to Comey for the reason you mention.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:38 pm The more of this that comes out the more and more I get pissed at James Comey. He has become a bigger and bigger idiot in my eyes every day. How he could possibly think announcing anything about Hillary's emails was important for the public to know while simultaneously believing that we did not need to know the truth regarding tRump baffles me more and more.
Yeah, I agree. Pretty clearly the man meant well, but goddamn what an idiot. Comey, the New York Times, and CNN are my top 3 most responsible for Trump being president, outside of those actively working on Trump's behalf.
Black Lives Matter.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Holy hell.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I was just coming here to post that article.

He's gotta be fucked now, right?
Hodor.
Captain Caveman

And... seems like there’s a ton of corroborating evidence.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Fox News must have been talking about the Steele Dossier AGAIN tonight, because:

Oh, tomorrow morning's tweetstorm should be great.
Hodor.
Captain Caveman

Trump’s pick for AG sure thinks this is a crime:

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Surprising no one, nothing on Fox News.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

tjg_marantz wrote:Surprising no one, nothing on Fox News.
I can’t find a mention of it on the Fox website, but it’s the lead story on their radio broadcasts.

I guess since nobody listens to radio, it’s ok to tell the truth there.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Captain Caveman wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:50 pm Trump’s pick for AG sure thinks this is a crime:

That's a totally different situation. They are not comparable.

Said every GOP member ever.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

msteelers wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:01 am I can’t find a mention of it on the Fox website, but it’s the lead story on their radio broadcasts.

I assume it's related to Fox affiliates vs Fox itself, but I really don't have a clue how any of that works.
Toe

Post by Toe »

That is some pretty damning stuff from Cohen. I guess my question is, is there hard evidence of this? Because trump will have no issue swearing under oath that he never told Cohen that.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Toe wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:39 am That is some pretty damning stuff from Cohen. I guess my question is, is there hard evidence of this? Because trump will have no issue swearing under oath that he never told Cohen that.
According to the Buzzfeed stories there is electronic evidence: email and texts that back up the story.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's all pretty flimsy. Trump hardly knew Cohen. I think they sat next to each other once on a chartered flight or something. It's not like they had a close working relationship for years and Cohen is known to record conversations and comments extensively.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

If this is the worst, I don't think it's enough to get the Senate to convict on impeachment.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:13 am If this is the worst, I don't think it's enough to get the Senate to convict on impeachment.
Sadly, I agree.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Senators (even the most loathsome of them) still have a duty to uphold the law. If there is clear and irrefutable evidence a crime has been committed, they'll have no choice but to turn on Trump. There's no way they go down with the ship if there's a chance to save their own skins.

That said, I think it unlikely we ever get to that point. I see Trump resigning rather than going through that whole ordeal.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:51 am
That said, I think it unlikely we ever get to that point. I see Trump resigning dying in a rage-induced grabber rather than going survivingthrough that whole ordeal.
Fixed. He won't quit. He'll refuse to believe he can't just lie his way out. Then he'll refuse to believe he can't just order his detractor's executed. And then he will try to Executive Order his way out of it. It'll be long, sad, and last to the bitter end.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

you guys are making me all excited.
knock it off.
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:51 am Senators (even the most loathsome of them) still have a duty to uphold the law. If there is clear and irrefutable evidence a crime has been committed, they'll have no choice but to turn on Trump. There's no way they go down with the ship if there's a chance to save their own skins.

That said, I think it unlikely we ever get to that point. I see Trump resigning rather than going through that whole ordeal.
Trump will cling to office with every orange fiber of his gelatinous being.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trump is going after Cohen and Cohen's father-in-law AGAIN.

Hodor.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

GreenGoo wrote:
msteelers wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:01 am I can’t find a mention of it on the Fox website, but it’s the lead story on their radio broadcasts.

I assume it's related to Fox affiliates vs Fox itself, but I really don't have a clue how any of that works.
It came from Fox itself. My radio station is the affiliate, playing the content created by Fox the network.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:14 am Trump is going after Cohen and Cohen's father-in-law AGAIN.
I can't recall what it was that I had heard, but somewhere I heard that going after the father-in-law was in some ways perhaps illegal?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

msteelers wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:15 am
GreenGoo wrote:

It came from Fox itself. My radio station is the affiliate, playing the content created by Fox the network.
The top of the hour Fox News radio blurbs actually report the news.

It's entirely possible to separate the hard news side of Fox from the Trump slobbering opinion side. I watched the Fox version of Trump's Oval Office speech and heard Shep Smith roast some of Trump's lies on air.

To say all of Fox News is bad would be incorrect.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.