The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Little Raven

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by Little Raven »

gilraen wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:14 amJanuary 20, you mean?
21st, actually. I don't know why I thought it was January 23rd.

But yeah, you get the idea.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Little Raven wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:36 am
gilraen wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:14 amJanuary 20, you mean?
21st, actually. I don't know why I thought it was January 23rd.

But yeah, you get the idea.
You probably assumed it would take a few days for them to surgically remove him from the host he's been feeding off of.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

If Biden wins and Dems take the senate (which is seated on January 3), congress should impeach and remove Trump before the presidential inauguration. He's definitely earned it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:51 am If Biden wins and Dems take the senate (which is seated on January 3), congress should impeach and remove Trump before the presidential inauguration. He's definitely earned it.
Impeachment requires a 2/3rds vote in the Senate. It's not happening.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:51 am If Biden wins and Dems take the senate (which is seated on January 3), congress should impeach and remove Trump before the presidential inauguration. He's definitely earned it.
That would be great.
Not sure we would have the votes to actually remove.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote:If Biden wins and Dems take the senate (which is seated on January 3), congress should impeach and remove Trump before the presidential inauguration. He's definitely earned it.
Oops. Deleted.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:54 am
That would be great.
Not sure we would have the votes to actually remove.
Besides, it would give President Pence a few weeks to pardon him.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
milo

Post by milo »

Impeachment conviction is not subject to pardon.
--milo
malchior

Post by malchior »

WaPo
Judge asks district attorney why he didn’t take Trump’s tax returns weeks ago

NEW YORK — A federal appeals judge on Friday questioned why Manhattan's district attorney declined to execute a grand jury subpoena for President Trump's long-sought tax returns when it appeared after a recent court order that prosecutors had an opportunity to do so.

Judge Pierre N. Leval said he believed that the order issued Sept. 1 by a separate three-member panel of judges from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit was meant to pause a lower court’s dismissal of Trump’s renewed bid to kill the subpoena — but that it did not prevent the district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr. (D), from collecting the president’s financial records from his accounting firm in the meantime.

“The stay was a stay on dismissal of complaint,” Leval said during questioning of a lawyer for the district attorney. “It was not a stay on execution of subpoena.”

A stay is a judicial order that temporarily prevents an event that is the subject of litigation from taking place.

The judge added that the “existence of the complaint doesn’t stop the district attorney from enforcing the subpoena.”

Carey Dunne, general counsel in the district attorney’s office, said the appeals court’s Sept. 1 order was not interpreted that way.

Court temporarily blocks enforcement of subpoena for Trump’s tax records

Both sides were ordered to submit by Tuesday written arguments explaining how each interpreted the order, which did not offer specific guidance on whether the subpoena was subject to the stay. Rather, it only generally granted the intervention Trump and his attorneys sought.

Trump’s attorneys have argued that the president would lose his right to litigate his challenge if the district attorney already has the president’s financial records. The comparison often offered in such situations is that one cannot “unring” a bell.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

milo wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:27 pm Impeachment conviction is not subject to pardon.
No, but all the other crimes that he wouldn't even be impeached for would be - and it would be nice to maybe, juuuuuust maybe hold him accountable for something at some point.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

milo wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:27 pm Impeachment conviction is not subject to pardon.
Of course not. It's a gift because Pence would become president pardon him for the crimes that actually have financial penalties and jail time.

The "Impeached" tag isn't shit to a man like Trump.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:15 pm
The "Impeached" tag isn't shit to a man like Trump.
Sure it is. It's justification for a third term.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh nothing. Just a little news on a random Tuesday.

WOW! Judge Sullivan asked Flynn's attorney, Sidney Powell, if she talked about Flynn's case with Trump. She tried to invoke executive privilege!!! Then she said she updated Trump personally on the Flynn case!!!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

The hearing has been going since 11 AM. Apparently still going but it sounds like the whole thing is bananas. Trump is personally involved. The DOJ keeps digging up some new scheme to defend their decision post hoc. The new one is that Durham interviewed a FBI agent who claimed the whole investigation was out to get Trump. They also claim that all the FBI agents are discredited so this can't go to trial.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Newsweek
Portions of the Mueller report that had been redacted by the U.S. Department of Justice must be published, according to a Wednesday ruling by a federal judge.
"Based on the Court's review of the unredacted version of the Mueller Report, the Court concludes that the Department has failed to satisfy its burden to demonstrate that the withheld material is protected by the deliberative process privilege," Judge Walton wrote in his Wednesday ruling.

Walton ordered the DOJ to publish previously redacted information involving Mueller's "deliberations about decisions not to prosecute" certain individuals. According to the ruling, that sort of information is not classified as privileged.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
CNN has received the Justice Department's 11th disclosure of major witness interview memos from the Mueller investigation, giving new insight into some of the most consequential investigative steps taken by the FBI and special counsel prosecutors.

The documents are being released as part of a 2019 lawsuit in conjunction with Buzzfeed News.
643-page PDF at the link.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Newsweek
President Donald Trump on Tuesday announced that he had "fully authorized" declassification of all documents pertaining to the investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's use of a private service for official emails.

"I have fully authorized the total Declassification of any & all documents pertaining to the single greatest political CRIME in American History, the Russia Hoax," the president tweeted this afternoon. "Likewise, the Hillary Clinton Email Scandal. No redactions!"

White House chief of staff Mark Meadows on Monday said Trump had "tasked me with getting some declassification rolling" as the president was recovering from COVID-19 at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. Officials began releasing documents on Tuesday.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:21 am Newsweek
President Donald Trump on Tuesday announced that he had "fully authorized" declassification of all documents pertaining to the investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's use of a private service for official emails.

"I have fully authorized the total Declassification of any & all documents pertaining to the single greatest political CRIME in American History, the Russia Hoax," the president tweeted this afternoon. "Likewise, the Hillary Clinton Email Scandal. No redactions!"

White House chief of staff Mark Meadows on Monday said Trump had "tasked me with getting some declassification rolling" as the president was recovering from COVID-19 at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. Officials began releasing documents on Tuesday.
I can't wait to hear the stories about how this wasn't run by the Intel Community or how this is going to compromise US assets in theater.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wait a minute! I thought Obamagate was the biggest CRIME in history. You know what he did!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trump loses again in his tax case. Likely gonna give SCOTUS one last shot.

Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:53 am Trump loses again in his tax case. Likely gonna give SCOTUS one last shot.
It's only the last shot if the SCOTUS doesn't open it up to another round on the merry-go-round. They invited this delaying game to begin with.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Mission's already accomplished - resolution postponed until after the election.

Also, what's covered by the subpoena that hasn't been published by the NYT?
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump is currently tweeting that the "Russia hoax" was a coup by Hillary Clinton, or something.

Earlier he tweeted (and deleted) that this outrage "entitles" him to four more years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:06 am Mission's already accomplished - resolution postponed until after the election.

Also, what's covered by the subpoena that hasn't been published by the NYT?
The details. Vance has the business level documents so ostensibly he can line up financial details from say the tax filings with other documents such as bank filings / loan applications / etc. I heard someone say that because Trump personally owns so many of these entities that he very well may be liable for some of the fraud individually.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He still has something up about being entitled to another 4 years. He will 100 percent try if he somehow get reelected.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have every confidence he will be dead from health issues before 2024, that the lasting effects of disregard for things he can't see will kill him. It's one of the few comforts I see when looking through my crystal ball. I am also ashamed that this brings me comfort and so that comfort goes away.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The Durham “investigation” results will not be coming out before Election Day. To me this means there is really nothing there. If there was they would be sure to have at least something out before then:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Its the same reason I knew they had nothing on Biden. Trump's been getting pummeled at the polls for weeks now. They'd have unleashed a salvo long before now in an effort to turn things around. They know early voting is seeing record numbers, so the longer they wait, the deeper the hole they're trying to dig out of.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

There was always nothing there of substance. The news in effect is that either Barr has concluded that the politics of announcing something are bad for Trump and/or Durham was refusing to go along with the scheme.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Probably in response to the collapse of a Barr/Durham October Surprise, Trump rage-tweeted that all documents related to the Russia investigation are now declassified.

Buzzfeed: "Cool. We'll take the fully unredacted Mueller Report now."

A judge has asked the WH to clarify whether a POTUS tweet actually counts as an order to declassify. (This could get sticky if DOJ has already started passing out classified material to Trump allies.)
malchior

Post by malchior »

He really is the chaos President. I'm glad that the judge is throwing some cool water on this. There are almost certainly assets in the field at risk if we declassify broadly. Is that Trump being reckless because he doesn't understand the issues or is it a gift to our adversaries? I don't know but it should pause until we figure some of that out...say a few months...January seems like a good time.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:56 am
A judge has asked the WH to clarify whether a POTUS tweet actually counts as an order to declassify.
I would hope it wouldn't, as a twitter account could always been hacked.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:21 am
Holman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:56 am
A judge has asked the WH to clarify whether a POTUS tweet actually counts as an order to declassify.
I would hope it wouldn't, as a twitter account could always been hacked.
A paper letter could be faked as well. I think any form of presidential communication could at least possibly constitute an order; whether any particular communication is or not seems like primarily an issue of divining intent.
Black Lives Matter.
geezer

Post by geezer »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:46 am There was always nothing there of substance. The news in effect is that either Barr has concluded that the politics of announcing something are bad for Trump and/or Durham was refusing to go along with the scheme.
Maybe Barr has had a crisis of conscience and realized that interfering this close to an election in a transparently partisan manner is just too much.
:lol:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Grifman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:21 am The Durham “investigation” results will not be coming out before Election Day. To me this means there is really nothing there. If there was they would be sure to have at least something out before then:

...sweeping review...
As effective as sweeping the forests.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

geezer wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:28 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:46 am There was always nothing there of substance. The news in effect is that either Barr has concluded that the politics of announcing something are bad for Trump and/or Durham was refusing to go along with the scheme.
Maybe Barr has had a crisis of conscience and realized that interfering this close to an election in a transparently partisan manner is just too much.
:lol:
That's probably it.

That said, that we are already at the point where the President is openly calling for his political opponents to be arrested on transparently thin grounds without it registering as a major scandal is a five alarm fire. If Trump manages to stay in office for another term, I think it is more likely than not that Trump will be able to get DOJ to arrest political opponents by the end of his second term.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:44 amThat said, that we are already at the point where the President is openly calling for his political opponents to be arrested on transparently thin grounds without it registering as a major scandal is a five alarm fire. If Trump manages to stay in office for another term, I think it is more likely than not that Trump will be able to get DOJ to arrest political opponents by the end of his second term.
We've even seen a hint of it. Michael Cohen was targeted for re-incarceration to stop him publishing his book.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:44 am That said, that we are already at the point where the President is openly calling for his political opponents to be arrested on transparently thin grounds without it registering as a major scandal is a five alarm fire. If Trump manages to stay in office for another term, I think it is more likely than not that Trump will be able to get DOJ to arrest political opponents by the end of his second term.
In his third term the sweep of journalists begins.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Octavious wrote:He still has something up about being entitled to another 4 years. He will 100 percent try if he somehow get reelected.
He’s referring to 2024-2028

Edit: after re-reading , I think that’s what you meant
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:02 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:44 am That said, that we are already at the point where the President is openly calling for his political opponents to be arrested on transparently thin grounds without it registering as a major scandal is a five alarm fire. If Trump manages to stay in office for another term, I think it is more likely than not that Trump will be able to get DOJ to arrest political opponents by the end of his second term.
In his third term the sweep of journalists begins.
Just in time to fill up the gulags.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter