The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by malchior »

It is hard to tell if that is deflection of the sort where they are grabbing onto 'similar' behavior in desperation or if it is Putin pulling strings. That isn't horrifying.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The mysterious 8th person at the DonJr/Kushner/Manafort meeting with the Russians has been identified.

He was Irakly "Ike" Kaveladze, a known money-launderer with previous ties to the Trumps' dealings in Moscow.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's really strange. What would a known money launderer be doing at this meeting? I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for it all.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Smoove_B wrote:That's really strange. What would a known money launderer be doing at this meeting? I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for it all.
He was interested in adoption? That's what the meeting was about, right? Seems legit.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Adoptions aren't cheap!
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

hepcat wrote:
What law covers CNN question security priority to CNN debates?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Adoptions aren't cheap!
Especially when you're buying a Czech girl to groom for your next wife after your current one ages out.
He won. Period.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Wait, Donald Trump Jr was adopted from Russia in a money laundering scheme?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh, hey... turns out Trump and Putin held a second long meeting at the G20, but this one was strictly private: just Trump, Putin, and Putin's personal translator.
President Trump held a second, informal meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit in Hamburg earlier this month, according to Ian Bremmer, the president of the international consulting firm Eurasia Group.

The meeting took place during the G-20 heads of state dinner, according to Bremmer, hours after Trump's formal bilateral sit-down with Putin.

In that conversation, Trump spoke with the Russian leader for roughly an hour, joined only by Putin's translator. The meeting had previously gone without mention by the White House.
This is not only dumb diplomacy (something even rudimentary State Department support at the conference should have prevented), but it's against national security protocol.

I'm sure Trump stood up strongly and intelligently for American interests and resisted Putin's influence and absolutely didn't make any secret deals or promises or commit treason or anything.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Absolutely fascinating. Not even a hint of shame - I don't care how it looks, I'm doing it anyway.

Speaking of shameless, I am guessing there are going to be more campaign fund raising rallies in the near future.
malchior

Post by malchior »

You have to figure that the rest of the G20 leadership had their suspicions confirmed that he is way, way, way over his head. A private conversation in public with the drama he faces over his head. What a fucking moron.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

In Trump's defense, I also would only want to talk about my pee tapes in private.
Black Lives Matter
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Smoove_B wrote:Absolutely fascinating. Not even a hint of shame - I don't care how it looks, I'm doing it anyway
https://twitter.com/jasminmuj/status/887447878058352642

As an aside, auhoritarian scholar Twitter is the scariest Twitter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The WH is pushing back, saying that Trump only "spoke briefly" with Putin.

Witnesses say it was an hour and that other world leaders noticed and were dismayed by it.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

There you go.
Enlarge Image
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote:The WH is pushing back, saying that Trump only "spoke briefly" with Putin.

Witnesses say it was an hour and that other world leaders noticed and were dismayed by it.
This is a really big lie and they should be ashamed. Everyone knows that "brief" in relation to Trump's kitten-like attention span is what..5 or 6 seconds max? An hour is like an eternity to the man.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

When will Trump realize that he needs to bring the press along for his own protection? If there's nothing to see and nothing to hide, let them see and meet in plain view. Or take questions afterwards at a press conference.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zarathud wrote:When will Trump realize that he needs to bring the press along for his own protection? If there's nothing to see and nothing to hide, let them see and meet in plain view. Or take questions afterwards at a press conference.
He's either the biggest idiot on earth and in way over his head or things are much, much worse than we can possibly imagine.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

when there is nothing to hide, of course.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote:The mysterious 8th person at the DonJr/Kushner/Manafort meeting with the Russians has been identified.

He was Irakly "Ike" Kaveladze, a known money-launderer with previous ties to the Trumps' dealings in Moscow.
8th is interesting, but I can hardly wait for the unveiling of the 14th! That one is supposed to be quite the shocker!

Hint: it's this guy:
PLW

Post by PLW »

Holman wrote:The WH is pushing back, saying that Trump only "spoke briefly" with Putin.

Get ready for stage 2: "Ok, it was an hour, but we only talked about adoptions."
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Louise Mensch has flown off the handle this morning, saying Bannon and Flynn and Gorka have been Russian agents since 2010, Bannon is looking at the death penalty for espionage and treason, and Trump may be looking at the death penalty too.

And her followers are lapping it up.

What utter insanity in her feed this morning.
Hodor.
PLW

Post by PLW »

pr0ner wrote:Louise Mensch has flown off the handle this morning, saying Bannon and Flynn and Gorka have been Russian agents since 2010, Bannon is looking at the death penalty for espionage and treason, and Trump may be looking at the death penalty too.

I follow her and InfoWars, just to get the crazy from both sides.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

PLW wrote:
pr0ner wrote:Louise Mensch has flown off the handle this morning, saying Bannon and Flynn and Gorka have been Russian agents since 2010, Bannon is looking at the death penalty for espionage and treason, and Trump may be looking at the death penalty too.

I should probably start doing that to give me some perspective so I don't feel anxiety of the modern 24 hours news cycle.
PLW

Post by PLW »

LordMortis wrote: I should probably start doing that to give me some perspective so I don't feel anxiety of the modern 24 hours news cycle.

It's interesting, they have about the same number of twitter follows (about 300k), but Info Wars seems to have more impact on the mainstream. Maybe b/c of who's in office?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Mensch enjoyed a wave of credibility when she made some eerily accurate calls back around February/March (which is when I first heard of her), but she has lost all but the hard core since then.

There are also signs (including TV interviews, as she is a former British MP) that she was an ardent Trump proponent as late as December. It's weird.

She clearly unmoored from reality now. I unfollowed her, but several times lately I've seen her quoted throwing insane accusations around.
Holman

Post by Holman »

PLW wrote:
LordMortis wrote: I should probably start doing that to give me some perspective so I don't feel anxiety of the modern 24 hours news cycle.

It's interesting, they have about the same number of twitter follows (about 300k), but Info Wars seems to have more impact on the mainstream. Maybe b/c of who's in office?
Twitter numbers are unreliable. Anyone who wants followers can buy fakes by the thousands.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Never heard of Louise Mensch until just now, and I have no idea who she is. Should I keep it that way?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

tgb wrote:Never heard of Louise Mensch until just now, and I have no idea who she is. Should I keep it that way?
Yes. Unfortunately a couple people I follow on Twitter retweet things she says then I remember how much of a moonbat she is and get sucked down the rabbit hole for a bit. It's pretty nuts.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Claude Taylor must be banging his head on his desk this morning.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Smoove_B wrote:
Zarathud wrote:When will Trump realize that he needs to bring the press along for his own protection? If there's nothing to see and nothing to hide, let them see and meet in plain view. Or take questions afterwards at a press conference.
He's either the biggest idiot on earth and in way over his head or things are much, much worse than we can possibly imagine.
Either?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

A fair point - though I guess I was trying to acknowledge the two general schools of thought on this - willful cooperation vs manipulation. I guess I don't know if it really matters at this point.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Well, this seems ominous
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:
PLW wrote:

I should probably start doing that to give me some perspective so I don't feel anxiety of the modern 24 hours news cycle.
How does that make any sense? "Well, this person is clearly insane, so I should also listen to another person who is also unconnected to any rational reality."

It's like, man, this apple is rotten, so I should balance my diet by eating this spoiled meat.
Black Lives Matter.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

El Guapo wrote:It's like, man, this apple is rotten, so I should balance my diet by eating this spoiled meat.
Or, a man with his feet in a freezer and his head in an oven is, on average, quite comfortable.

I use this in teaching undergrad stats to emphasize how means can be deceiving without consideration of variability in the data.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
malchior

Post by malchior »

PLW wrote:Well, this seems ominous
I don't see it as ominous. Moreso that he is respecting ethical norms. If you are investigating someone then you shouldn't be socializing with them. That was why Comey was worried about in his case for instance.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Moliere wrote:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

That one made me laugh.
Hodor.