The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Smoove_B wrote:
Holman wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:00 amOr is the best part throwing Don Jr. under the bus?
Did he really just confirm that the pretense of this meeting wasn't about adoption issues? Am I reading that right?
I think Giuliani’s comment last week that there was a pre-meeting for the meeting already removed any pretense that the meeting was about adoption. So now they’ve got to switch to the defense that the meeting wasn’t illegal (it was) and everyone would do it (they wouldn’t).
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm waiting for the explanation of why they took this and so many other meetings with Russians after the FBI had specifically warned them that the Russians were trying to influence them and that they should report all attempts.

And the explanation for all the lying about every single contact, of course.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:12 pm I'm waiting for the explanation of why they took this and so many other meetings with Russians after the FBI had specifically warned them that the Russians were trying to influence them and that they should report all attempts.

And the explanation for all the lying about every single contact, of course.
Just play this on repeat for the next couple years.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

It would be the most glorious instance of karma if his Twitter account is what ultimately brings his cheeto ass down. Like 10x better even than seeing that guy who swerves across 3 lanes to make his exit, only to get pulled over by the cop coming out of the 7-11 parking lot.
Amazing how many self-inflicted wounds this clown has. But I suppose we should be grateful...what would his approval rating be if he didn't publicly display his idiocy? At least display it so forcefully and unequivocally. I think there's a decent subsection of the population that's always known trump for what he is, but without his Twitter antics he'd at least have plausible denability with that 25% or so who are undecided and/or reconsidering their support. I think it's well established that his 40% base is going absolutely nowhere no matter what happens..forget murder on 5th Avenue he could commit genocide against some 'scary them/other/foreigner' and they'd back him all the way to hell
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:00 am
Fake News reporting, a complete fabrication, that I am concerned about the meeting my wonderful son, Donald, had in Trump Tower. This was a meeting to get information on an opponent, totally legal and done all the time in politics - and it went nowhere. I did not know about it!
"NO YES COLLUSION!"

Is the best part calling it Fake News while confirming the truth of what he has been calling Fake News?

Or is the best part throwing Don Jr. under the bus?
There is no best part. The bar has slid Rip style and now his people can say they don't care and even embrace this new truth after 18 months of denial and flat out lies. If the elections are lost, I don't know what's next. Embracing the next step is happening at a crazy rate we have to be living through to believe.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

BREAKING: Rick Gates in Manafort trial testimony:

Prosecutor: "Were you involved in any criminal activity with Mr. Manafort?"

Gates: "Yes".

Prosecutor: "Did you commit any crimes with Mr. Manafort?"

Gates: "Yes."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did Hannity air yet? Did he say committing financial crimes isn't a crime?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Everyone does it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:58 pm Everyone does it.
It makes them smart.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That was my go-to when I was what, 7-years-old? I had move to a new line of argument by 8, because no, if everyone was jumping off of a bridge I wouldn't do it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:00 am
That was my go-to when I was what, 7-years-old? I had move to a new line of argument by 8, because no, if everyone was jumping off of a bridge I wouldn't do it.
"Look, I know I shouldn't have hit a baseball through the neighbors window, but what about Hillary's emails?"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:55 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:00 am
"Look, I know I shouldn't have hit a baseball through the neighbors window, but what about Hillary's emails?"
Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A Fox News host asks:
“How in the world could he ever cooperate and sit down with Mueller for an interview knowing that if you tell one lie to Bob Mueller, he will move to file charges?” she said during Monday’s show.
One of her guests responded
“He could not tell a lie, that’s always an option here,” she said.
link
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Defiant wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:36 pm One of her guests responded
Sadly, it's really not.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:10 pm
Defiant wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:36 pm One of her guests responded
Sadly, it's really not.
Well, as far back as the Presidency goes, it has been (allegedly) a precedent as well as a defining virtue of the President of the United States.

I cannot tell a lie, I did it. (2 term President, enshrined on Rushmore)

I am not a crook (lie). Impeached and resigned in disgrace.

It depends upon what the definition of the word is is. Impeached.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"Lying is not a crime."
1st God-Emperor for life
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:09 pm "Lying is not a crime."
1st God-Emperor for life
Paul Muad-Dib?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:33 pm I am not a crook (lie). Impeached and resigned in disgrace.
IIRC, Nixon resigned before he could be impeached.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:55 pm
1st God-Emperor for life
Paul Muad-Dib?
I thought Leto was the first God-Emperor and Paul was just Emperor?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Steve Bannon was Thufir Hawat.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Fitzy wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 am
1st God-Emperor for life
Paul Muad-Dib?
Leto II
hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:29 am Steve Bannon was Thufir Hawat.
Piter De Vries
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Holman wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:12 am Piter De Vries
Piter was marginally sane, but extraordinarily competent. Bannon is much more of a 'Beast' Rabban... in form and function.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Holman wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:12 am
Fitzy wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 am
1st God-Emperor for life
Paul Muad-Dib?
Leto II
Oh yeah, I forgot he was named after his grandfather
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Let's hear a recording of what Devin Nunes is saying about the investigation "in private" (at a private fundraiser dinner), shall we?
Whoops...he said the quiet part out loud again.

TL:DR - Nunes openly admits that they know Trump is (at best) a sack of shit or (at worst) engaged in illegal activity, but they have to defend him or else "this all goes away". A better summary taken from this amusing Twitter:
So, Maddow rolled a tape of Devin Nunes blabbing at a fundraiser about House Republicans' overt schemes to obstruct justice and protect Trump as a means of staying in power. The comments were as stupid as Nunes himself. This is Stupid Watergate. 1/

Among them, Nunes alleges there really is an interest in impeaching Rod Rosenstein but only after SCOTUS nominee Kavanaugh is confirmed since that would be doomed after the midterms. 2/

So, on the one hand, even Nunes knows Repubs have "only a few months left". On the other hand, he doesn't seem to get that impeachment would require a 2/3 Senate vote - which has a 0% chance of happening. 3/

Later in the audio, Nunes openly talks about how House R's have to stay in the majority because if they can't protect Trump from Mueller "all of this goes away." 4/

Now, bear in mind, this colossal dipsh** made these comments from the podium at a fundraising dinner for the #4 ranking House Republican. He didn't get caught on a mic in a private moment. He said this to a roomful of people. Dumb as a f***ing hammer, that guy. 5/

...and this is the kicker: All the covert operatives had to do to get the audio was buy a ticket to the fundraiser. They bought a ticket and then sat there eating the obligatory Caesar salad and cordon bleu while Nunes gave away the whole plot. Dumb. As. A. Hammer. 6/

Can't wait to see the right try to do damage control on this one... The entire treason jenga tower is falling down. They're rickety facade if just plain coming apart. And it's only Wednesday. This is Stupid Watergate, y'all. <end>
Good to see Stupid Watergate rolls on unabated. Sadly, Stupid Electorate still won't care, because STIGGINIT.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Yeah that Nunes guy...not sure who invited him to either the Party or the party but I don't think he's particularly welcome. Much less so after this mess. But I've first hand knowledge of his particular base as it involves my MIL and several BILs plus their kids and then the whole family tree just sort of explodes from there. Long story longer, they're all in on Nunes. It's not the rabid in your face stuff we see from trump supporters but they are definitely there for him and given the demographics of that part of CA and that the largest minority group in play, Hispanics, have a ridiculously tough road to hoe simply to stay in the country given the current political situation we find ourselves in. Going to be very difficult get a grass roots operation going with a bunch of folks who are quite correctly worried about being here next month.
Unfortunately I think it means Nunes for another 2 years.

But yes I concur he's an idiotic
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
malchior

Post by malchior »

I bet we'll see the House leadership totally step up and do something about this now. It was pretty obvious what he was doing but unfortunately there was no proof. Now that he has said it out loud and the public has heard it...they have to do something. Right? :grund:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Can we stop calling it Stupid Watergate and just simplify it to Stupidgate?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm kinda partial to Vatergate.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Witchergate.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:17 am Let's hear a recording of what Devin Nunes is saying about the investigation "in private" (at a private fundraiser dinner), shall we?
Whoops...he said the quiet part out loud again.

TL:DR - Nunes openly admits that they know Trump is (at best) a sack of shit or (at worst) engaged in illegal activity, but they have to defend him or else "this all goes away". A better summary taken from this amusing Twitter:
Can't wait to see the right try to do damage control on this one... The entire treason jenga tower is falling down. They're rickety facade if just plain coming apart. And it's only Wednesday. This is Stupid Watergate, y'all. <end>

Good to see Stupid Watergate rolls on unabated. Sadly, Stupid Electorate still won't care, because STIGGINIT.
Exactly.

Why would the right try to do damage control? Completely unnecessary these days.

The author keeps mentioning how stupid this was, but I disagree. It's not stupid, it's a just comment/line of thinking that has unfortunately become acceptable in the current political climate, so there will likely be no blow-back or repercussions, or firing that would have likely happened even 5 years ago if anyone on either side of the aisle had done this. Maybe 10 years? I dunno.

I get the mental image of the author (Maddow?) hearing this, pointing a finger, and yelling "HA! I KNEW IT! BUSTED!!!" And then crickets.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's just one pretense on the all pretense being dropped line. How many pretenses do they have left?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only thing that could potentially turn a Trumper away from his orange god is a sustained economic downturn. There is quite literally nothing he can do otherwise that would cause them to break ranks.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:44 pm The only thing that could potentially turn a Trumper away from his orange god is a sustained economic downturn. There is quite literally nothing he can do otherwise that would cause them to break ranks.
Why would that matter? They've already proven that they'll vote against their own economic interests time and time again as long as there's an R next to the name.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:44 pm The only thing that could potentially turn a Trumper away from his orange god is a sustained economic downturn. There is quite literally nothing he can do otherwise that would cause them to break ranks.
Pretty sure an economic downturn would serve to further entrench them. Immigrants taking jobs/diluting American dominance, Democrats hate capitalism, etc. Also, I'd expect to hear a lot of "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I doubt Trump would escape unscathed from such an event. Factories shipping jobs overseas, or simply laying off workers in droves, would turn quite a few of his supporters. It's all about the economy for a president.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:59 pm I doubt Trump would escape unscathed from such an event. Factories shipping jobs overseas, or simply laying off workers in droves, would turn quite a few of his supporters. It's all about the economy for a president.
The lay-offs, due to tariffs, are already happening. Not in droves yet, but when these things really kick in next year....oof.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:06 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:59 pm I doubt Trump would escape unscathed from such an event. Factories shipping jobs overseas, or simply laying off workers in droves, would turn quite a few of his supporters. It's all about the economy for a president.
The lay-offs, due to tariffs, are already happening. Not in droves yet, but when these things really kick in next year....oof.
Just in time to blame the new Democrat controlled Congress.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:11 pm
People reflexively blame the President more than Congress when things go badly.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Logical assesements? Measured reactions? Isn't it a bit late to assume those?

El Guapo wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:16 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:11 pm
People reflexively blame the President more than Congress when things go badly.
Not when the President "tells it like it is" and makes them feel good about being jackholes. And these are not normal times anyway. We're wondering if neo-nazis are going to show up to march in Washington and where deep state conspiracy nutobs are going to strike next.

MYT