The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jag

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Jag »

Live look at the Fox Newsroom.

Sooo, this means that Cohen probably did NDAs for Hannity's sexual assaults that were covered up.

And it means Cohen used the same template as Stormy (because we never use new forms). So those NDAs are about to be shredded in the CA case. I'd say he's sweating right now.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Jag wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:53 pm And Sean Hannity is mystery client the third. You can't make this shit up.

I hope they drag that self righteous scumbag down.
For reals?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

tgb wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:03 pm
Jag wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:53 pm And Sean Hannity is mystery client the third. You can't make this shit up.

For reals?

Politics reporter for The Wall Street Journal. I'm good at weaseling my way to the front of a gaggle. erica.orden@wsj.com
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:44 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:42 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:38 pm Wasn't Mr. Fed's point that that whole reason for the warrant was that they didn't believe that the subpoena process was viable to preserve the documents?
Yeah, and that is addressed in the letter to the judge. Trump's team says that was the only reason for the warrant and since the risk of losing the documents has passed, it is appropriate to allow him to review them as if they were subpoenaed. I'm not a lawyer, but it actually makes some sense to me. Unfortunately.
If you don't trust the DOJ's taint team (and honestly, you should), the likely remedy is a special master. Especially given that these aren't Trump's documents. They're Cohen's documents, some of which concern Trump. It would be bizarre to give control over the process to a third party to the matter.
And wouldn't letting Trump's team review the documents in this case spoil the attorney-client privilege between Cohen and the other clients? I can't believe that someone who respects attorney-client privilege as much as Trump does would want such a thing to happen.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jag

Post by Jag »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Shouldn't Broidy be off frightening some schoolchildren in Maine?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Fox News at 9 PM EDT is going to be LIT.

Hodor.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Uh, oh. Hannity was supposed to be the squeaky clean Fox News host, not like O'Reilly at all.

Wonder who Hannity was needing to pay off enough to get Cohen involved. :think:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:20 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:44 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:42 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:38 pm Wasn't Mr. Fed's point that that whole reason for the warrant was that they didn't believe that the subpoena process was viable to preserve the documents?
Yeah, and that is addressed in the letter to the judge. Trump's team says that was the only reason for the warrant and since the risk of losing the documents has passed, it is appropriate to allow him to review them as if they were subpoenaed. I'm not a lawyer, but it actually makes some sense to me. Unfortunately.
If you don't trust the DOJ's taint team (and honestly, you should), the likely remedy is a special master. Especially given that these aren't Trump's documents. They're Cohen's documents, some of which concern Trump. It would be bizarre to give control over the process to a third party to the matter.
And wouldn't letting Trump's team review the documents in this case spoil the attorney-client privilege between Cohen and the other clients? I can't believe that someone who respects attorney-client privilege as much as Trump does would want such a thing to happen.
I believe that the proposed process would first involve Cohen giving Trump any documents that relate to Trump in any way. In so doing they preserve the solemn attorney-client process as to Broidy and Hannity.
Black Lives Matter.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:35 pm Wonder who Hannity was needing to pay off enough to get Cohen involved. :think:
Trump: Hey Sean, use my guy Cohen for all your sex assault issues, he's the best there is.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Please let there be tapes....
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Current front page of Fox News:

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, seems like nothing of substance here. We can all move on.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote:Shouldn't Broidy be off frightening some schoolchildren in Maine?
We all float down here Hannity.

You’ll float too!
Holman

Post by Holman »

This is so ludicrous. These people.

I wonder. Rather than Hannity needing Cohen's legal advice, maybe the Cohen-Hannity "client" relationship was a fiction to allow Trump to communicate with Hannity (and vice-versa) under a shield of attorney-client privilege? About what?

Way too much coincidence here. Cohen is far too shitty a lawyer to be anyone's straight-up lawyer. There's more to this.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:03 pm This is so ludicrous. These people.

I wonder. Rather than Hannity needing Cohen's legal advice, maybe the Cohen-Hannity "client" relationship was a fiction to allow Trump to communicate with Hannity (and vice-versa) under a shield of attorney-client privilege? About what?

Way too much coincidence here. Cohen is far too shitty a lawyer to be anyone's straight-up lawyer. There's more to this.
I didn't know that ACP was transitive.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The most likely explanations appear to be either this, or that Hannity has his own hush money issues and used Cohen for them like Trump and Broidy did.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jag wrote:And Sean Hannity is mystery client the third. You can't make this shit up.

Mind. Blown.

Mr. Fed is must read twitter lately.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It is certainly plausible (as Mr. Fed notes on twitter now) that Cohen is exaggerating his relationship with Hannity because he needs to show *some* client base in order to bolster his argument that he is too acting as a real lawyer.

That said, Cohen's lawyers said that they had discussions with the third client and that he requested that it be kept confidential. Seems that either those statements, or Hannity's statements that there's no attorney-client relationship, are lies.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior

Post by malchior »

This simulation is practically breaking the 4th wall now. It is stretching our capacity to suspend disbelief...
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It would be interesting to see what kind of reviews this storyline would get if it were a season of House of Cards.
Hodor.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Hasn't it been shown that Hannity was in communication with Julian Assange? Seems like Cohen might be a nexus point of sorts.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:55 pm That is hilarious.
You keep using that word......
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I don't know how that would work with individuals, but if it's with corporations I believe you would need some sort of joint defense agreement that would permit you to communicate under AC privilege. Even then, the privilege would apply only to those communications about the legal issue.

Unless Hannity were being investigated for the same crimes as Trump and they needed to coordinate their legal defense, I don't think this would work.

(I also should remind folks that I'm never 100% sure on these AC privilege issues, particularly with respect to individuals.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This is all getting so weird that I can't even process it anymore. :lol: Maybe that's Trumps plan all along. Make everything such a mess that nobody can sort it out. :think:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Holman

Post by Holman »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:40 pm

I don't know how that would work with individuals, but if it's with corporations I believe you would need some sort of joint defense agreement that would permit you to communicate under AC privilege. Even then, the privilege would apply only to those communications about the legal issue.

Unless Hannity were being investigated for the same crimes as Trump and they needed to coordinate their legal defense, I don't think this would work.

(I also should remind folks that I'm never 100% sure on these AC privilege issues, particularly with respect to individuals.)
I'm assuming it's as simple as them somehow believing that having Cohen in the room creates a cone of silence. Or maybe just passing notes through him.

Probably it was Don Jr.'s idea.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Remus West wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:39 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:55 pm That is hilarious.
You keep using that word......
I laugh to keep from crying.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Captain Caveman wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Hasn't it been shown that Hannity was in communication with Julian Assange? Seems like Cohen might be a nexus point of sorts.
Assange was duped by a fake Hannity.... Or was he....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 85496.html
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Haven't heard anything explicitly on this point, but it sounds like the judge isn't entertaining the ludicrous "let Trump look over all these documents first" proposal.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

So is a special master a win for the Cohen/Trump team? Is it the exact same as a taint team?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:47 pm So is a special master a win for the Cohen/Trump team? Is it the exact same as a taint team?
It wouldn't really be a win. My understanding of taint teams is that they do function as neutral professionals (though I'm sure that there must be *some* exceptions), so the output of the special master process (in terms of documents turned over to DOJ investigators) would probably not be substantially different from the output of the DOJ taint team.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

As expected.
Black Lives Matter.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Hey Rip, here's some reverse whataboutism for ya:

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/9 ... 6028388352
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip's fine with any outcome that doesn't involve Hillary Goddamn Clinton in some way. Hillary apparently slapped him when he was a child, or told his friends he had cooties...I don't know. I'll be in my $43,000 dollar cone of silence if anyone needs me.
He won. Period.
Jag

Post by Jag »

(warning. do not take legal advice from Saul)
Last edited by Jag on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Sean Hannity says he never paid Cohen for services. If true that makes Cohen the most generous attorney in New York, paying $130K in hush money to his client’s lover out of his own pocket & working for Hannity pro bono. The man is a giver.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rick Wilson wrote:Just FYI, Fox employs battalions of lawyers for its hosts.
The idea that Hannity (salary $29 million) would go Michael Effing Cohen for free real-estate legal advice is beyond laughable.

I'm really looking forward to learning what this is about.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:04 pm
The idea that Hannity (salary $29 million) would go Michael Effing Cohen for free real-estate legal advice is beyond laughable.
"So if we buy the bitch a condo do you think that would shut her up?"
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.