The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Rip

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Rip »

malchior wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:24 am Half of the "treaties" this century were not ratified. The point is we can't negotiate non-binding agreements with our partners and then elect unqualified maniacs. It won't work.
I assume by this century you mean since 2000 and not the last 100 years because that would be patently false. Even then since 2000 of 8 treaties only three were not ratified. Kind of a small sample size to get all that worked up about.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rip wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:18 am I would suggest being careful what you wish for because treaties that can be done by a simple majority could work out about as well as others actions that have been changed to simple majority. I can just imagine Treaties that come and go routinely as administrations change. A treaty should be something that has longevity across administrations of different parties.
Like withdrawing from TPP (an admittedly "bad deal") or the Paris accords (which were admittedly weak) or NAFTA which is a fucking great deal that were actively trying to destroy because ????

So yeah, that is one of the worst things going on here. I am soooo glad you see it. Can you communicate this to various family members for whom I can't even sit a table with any more.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:pop:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:13 am
Rip wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:18 am I would suggest being careful what you wish for because treaties that can be done by a simple majority could work out about as well as others actions that have been changed to simple majority. I can just imagine Treaties that come and go routinely as administrations change. A treaty should be something that has longevity across administrations of different parties.
Like withdrawing from TPP (an admittedly "bad deal") or the Paris accords (which were admittedly weak) or NAFTA which is a fucking great deal that were actively trying to destroy because ????

So yeah, that is one of the worst things going on here. I am soooo glad you see it. Can you communicate this to various family members for whom I can't even sit a table with any more.
Like most families these days, you should setup a Trump table and a non-Trump table for get togethers.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Only one table has metal silverware.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Zarathud wrote:Only one table has metal silverware.
And a no kneeling sign displayed patriotically.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:13 am

TPP wasn't a bad deal for the US (no deal is perfect), I just hated that the IP provisions were jackhammered into it by US Industry. On the whole, I think it was the right move to provide an economic counterbalance to China, and protected a lot of US interests while tying our allies in the region much more closely to us, just more US Corporate than Consumer interests.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:35 pm Only one table has metal silverware.
The other gets the sippy cups and crayons ;)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...and has a table that's only a foot off the ground.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:54 pm TPP wasn't a bad deal for the US (no deal is perfect), I just hated that the IP provisions were jackhammered into it by US Industry. On the whole, I think it was the right move to provide an economic counterbalance to China, and protected a lot of US interests while tying our allies in the region much more closely to us, just more US Corporate than Consumer interests.
We'll just have to disagree over spillt milk. It was right to move to provide and economic counterbalance to China but this was the right move IMO and while I likely didn't concur on the specifics it opened a lot of loopholes for multinational handling of Chinese manufactured goods. I don't have the energy to go back and find the percentages of the game.

This makes no excuses for backing out.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:13 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:54 pm TPP wasn't a bad deal for the US (no deal is perfect), I just hated that the IP provisions were jackhammered into it by US Industry. On the whole, I think it was the right move to provide an economic counterbalance to China, and protected a lot of US interests while tying our allies in the region much more closely to us, just more US Corporate than Consumer interests.
We'll just have to disagree over spillt milk. It was right to move to provide and economic counterbalance to China but this was the right move IMO and while I likely didn't concur on the specifics it opened a lot of loopholes for multinational handling of Chinese manufactured goods. I don't have the energy to go back and find the percentages of the game.

This makes no excuses for backing out.
Fair enough - the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Cohen is now likely to cooperate with the investigation...and his lawyers have ditched
As attorneys for Michael Cohen rush to meet Judge Kimba Wood’s Friday deadline to complete a privilege review of over 3.7 million documents seized in the April 9 raids of Cohen’s New York properties and law office, a source representing this matter has disclosed to ABC News that the law firm handling the case for Cohen is not expected to represent him going forward.

Cohen, now with no legal representation, is likely to cooperate with federal prosecutors in New York, sources said. This development, which is believed to be imminent, will likely hit the White House, family members, staffers and counsels hard.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 am Cohen is now likely to cooperate with the investigation...and his lawyers have ditched
As attorneys for Michael Cohen rush to meet Judge Kimba Wood’s Friday deadline to complete a privilege review of over 3.7 million documents seized in the April 9 raids of Cohen’s New York properties and law office, a source representing this matter has disclosed to ABC News that the law firm handling the case for Cohen is not expected to represent him going forward.

Cohen, now with no legal representation, is likely to cooperate with federal prosecutors in New York, sources said. This development, which is believed to be imminent, will likely hit the White House, family members, staffers and counsels hard.
Please have the pee tape. Please have the pee tape.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

You'll have to file a Freedom of Tinklination Act form to find out.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm no expert, but when a lawyer bails on defending another lawyer, it has to be really, really bad, right?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jag

Post by Jag »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 am Cohen is now likely to cooperate with the investigation...and his lawyers have ditched

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:27 pm I'm no expert, but when a lawyer bails on defending another lawyer, it has to be really, really bad, right?
Nope. There can be a million reasons. Some bad, some not so bad. There's also the question of whether Judge Wood will let Cohen's counsel bail, if that's what's in the works. As counsel, once you've made an appearance on behalf of a client, you can't drop them unilaterally. The Court gets a chance to weigh in, and, in almost all cases, the Judge won't let counsel out unless there's substitute counsel ready to take over.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:27 pm I'm no expert, but when a lawyer bails on defending another lawyer, it has to be really, really bad, right?
I'm not sure about that, but if Cohen has flipped, and please let it be so, Drumpf is dead. He might not know where EVERY body is buried, but he certainly knows the people who know.

I actually never expected to see Cohen cooperate. It's too big a deal to let myself be hopeful, yet.

What's the over/under on when Drumpf issues his pardon? edit: Oh shit, this is in NY? No pardon for you, douchenozzle.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Doesn't it usually just signal that the lawyers don't agree with the client's strategy?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Holman

Post by Holman »

Katy Tur is reporting that Cohen's lawyers have been informed that SDNY is preparing papers for his arrest.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:38 pmDoesn't it usually just signal that the lawyers don't agree with the client's strategy?
I took it to mean it was a losing proposition, i.e. not worth their time, energy and/or name association with being his representative in court. I guess it's not as bad as it looks, but I'm still pretty sure he's fuct.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/politics ... index.html
President Donald Trump on Friday declined to rule out the possibility that he could pardon his former campaign chairman Paul Manafort or personal lawyer Michael Cohen.
The President also reiterated his belief that he has the power to pardon himself, though he again said he would not do so.
‪"I haven't even thought about it," Trump told reporters on the White House South Lawn, referring to Manafort and Cohen. "I haven't thought about any of it. It's certainly far too early to be thinking about that."
He added, "They haven't been convicted of anything. There's nothing to pardon."
Its like Bill Gates pardoning Microsoft for something or your mom pardoning you for murder. WTF. Our system is seriously this shitty?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:48 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:38 pmDoesn't it usually just signal that the lawyers don't agree with the client's strategy?
I took it to mean it was a losing proposition, i.e. not worth their time, energy and/or name association with being his representative in court. I guess it's not as bad as it looks, but I'm still pretty sure he's fuct.
I took it to mean that they did the math and realized that they aren't going to get paid for the thousands of man-hours that they would have to put into Cohen's defense (not that he would deliberately stiff them per se, but he'd go bankrupt long before his trial is over, at the rate they are going).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:38 pm
Doesn't it usually just signal that the lawyers don't agree with the client's strategy?
I heard that it's because he was running out of money to pay them. Their type of counsel don't come cheap. No charity among thieves and all that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Probably shoulda hung on to that $130k he paided Stormy out of the goodness of his heart, although I'm not sure how far $130k goes regarding the types of lawyers he needs.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:09 pm
I heard that it's because he was running out of money to pay them. Their type of counsel don't come cheap. No charity among thieves and all that.
If true, there's a certain poetry, even if he's innocent. It's pretty clear he has been using the threat of legal costs as intimidation since long before there was any hubbub about the Party of Trump rising to power. It's not necessarily right but it's poetic. Can he get a public defender?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:14 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:09 pm
If true, there's a certain poetry, even if he's innocent. It's pretty clear he has been using the threat of legal costs as intimidation since long before there was any hubbub about the Party of Trump rising to power. It's not necessarily right but it's poetic. Can he get a public defender?
IANAFL but I think you need to be arrested or charged with a crime (not sure of the threshold) before you can get a public defender. You don't get one to lawyer-up during investigation.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

So soon? :P
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:14 pm Probably shoulda hung on to that $130k he paided Stormy out of the goodness of his heart, although I'm not sure how far $130k goes regarding the types of lawyers he needs.
The number / expense of lawyers he was using, that's literally maybe a day or two.
Black Lives Matter.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I've seen speculation that the lawyers are leaving because they were paid by the Trump campaign and to stay on would be a conflict of interest if Cohen is flipping on Trump.

I have no idea if (a) They were paid by the campaign and (b) even if they were, that would be a conflict of interest if Cohen flips.

Kind of seems like wishful thinking to me, but I'm hoping to see Trump go down in flames if he is guilty of something.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Please let Cohen act as his own attorney Please let Cohen act as his own attorney Please let Cohen act as his own attorney Please let Cohen act as his own attorney Please let Cohen act as his own attorney Please let Cohen act as his own attorney ...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

NY AG files suit against Trump Foundation
NEW YORK - Attorney General Barbara D. Underwood today announced a lawsuit against the Donald J. Trump Foundation, and its directors, Donald J. Trump (“Mr. Trump”), Donald J. Trump, Jr., Ivanka Trump, and Eric Trump. The petition filed today alleges a pattern of persistent illegal conduct, occurring over more than a decade, that includes extensive unlawful political coordination with the Trump presidential campaign, repeated and willful self-dealing transactions to benefit Mr. Trump’s personal and business interests, and violations of basic legal obligations for non-profit foundations. The Attorney General initiated a special proceeding to dissolve the Trump Foundation under court supervision and obtain restitution of $2.8 million and additional penalties. The AG’s lawsuit also seeks a ban from future service as a director of a New York not-for-profit of 10 years for Mr. Trump and one year for each of the Foundation’s other board members, Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump, and Eric Trump. The Attorney General also sent referral letters today to the Internal Revenue Service and the Federal Election Commission, identifying possible violations of federal law for further investigation and legal action by those federal agencies.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nonsense. I have it on high authority that any investigations into Trump-related businesses or persons is nothing but a WITCH HUNT.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:00 am Nonsense. I have it on high authority that any investigations into Trump-related businesses or persons is nothing but a WITCH HUNT.
I have in on high authority that he has checked in to it and multiple sources say he can pardon himself, so don't waste the money. He won't have to pardon himself because he's not guilty and he hasn't even thought about it but he can, in fact, pardon himself.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

A semi-regular reminder from John Oliver how the Trumpistas not only want you to believe that this is just a "witch hunt" but are also going "full O.J." in order to undermine the investigation in the eyes of the public.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Happy Birthday, Mr. President!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

LordMortis wrote:
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:00 am Nonsense. I have it on high authority that any investigations into Trump-related businesses or persons is nothing but a WITCH HUNT.
I have in on high authority that he has checked in to it and multiple sources say he can pardon himself, so don't waste the money. He won't have to pardon himself because he's not guilty and he hasn't even thought about it but he can, in fact, pardon himself.
I know this is a joke, but can he actually pardon himself from state charges? I thought his authority was just for federal charges.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Only federal.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:29 pm
LordMortis wrote:
I know this is a joke, but can he actually pardon himself from state charges? I thought his authority was just for federal charges.
Yes, just federal.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

msteelers wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:14 am Happy Birthday, Mr. President!
And now he's rage Tweeting about it. Happy birthday indeed, you moron.