Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by GreenGoo »

T[o]uques.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:21 pm I value due process. I do not want anyone to go to jail if they can't be proven to have committed a crime. That doesn't mean that when someone gets off on a technicality I think they are innocent, I just don't want them going to jail. Law and due process are amongst the most important aspects of our society. Being unable to convict doesn't mean they didn't commit the crime, they just can't be convicted of it, as it should be.

With that said, knowing what I know about drumpf's history, I have zero reservations about believing he committed a whole host of crimes. I will talk as if he's guilty because I absolutely believe that he is. If someone were to suggest that we convict him based on my beliefs, I would balk immediately.

But he's guilty. At this point I'm simply waiting and hoping that Meuller can prove it.
Given that he has openly admitted multiple crimes on twitter I don't think you need await much to say he is guilty. He stated that he fired Comey due to the Russia investigation. That alone should have been the end of him. The rest is just more dirt I hope gets thrown on his grave. Along with my spit.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Rip

Post by Rip »

Remus West wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:22 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:21 pm I value due process. I do not want anyone to go to jail if they can't be proven to have committed a crime. That doesn't mean that when someone gets off on a technicality I think they are innocent, I just don't want them going to jail. Law and due process are amongst the most important aspects of our society. Being unable to convict doesn't mean they didn't commit the crime, they just can't be convicted of it, as it should be.

With that said, knowing what I know about drumpf's history, I have zero reservations about believing he committed a whole host of crimes. I will talk as if he's guilty because I absolutely believe that he is. If someone were to suggest that we convict him based on my beliefs, I would balk immediately.

But he's guilty. At this point I'm simply waiting and hoping that Meuller can prove it.
Given that he has openly admitted multiple crimes on twitter I don't think you need await much to say he is guilty. He stated that he fired Comey due to the Russia investigation. That alone should have been the end of him. The rest is just more dirt I hope gets thrown on his grave. Along with my spit.

Not even close to that simple, or open and closed. Even the lefty rag NYT acknowledges as much.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/us/p ... e-fbi.html

Some pretty good lawyers lay out the difficulty of actually proving the statutory requirements of such a charge.

He may well be guilty of the political definition while still not meeting the legal definition.

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/ ... he-concept
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:56 pm Enlarge Image
The chains used to bind that glorious bird of freedom? Canadian Steel (or should I say "Steal"!?!)
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rip wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:49 pm
Remus West wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Not even close to that simple, or open and closed. Even the lefty rag NYT acknowledges as much.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/us/p ... e-fbi.html

Some pretty good lawyers lay out the difficulty of actually proving the statutory requirements of such a charge.

He may well be guilty of the political definition while still not meeting the legal definition.

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/ ... he-concept
Whether he has given a prosecutor enough to jail him is separate from whether or not he has given Congress enough to act to impeach. He has done that many times over.

Also, from your article in the NYT
But courts have ruled that otherwise lawful acts can constitute obstruction of justice if done with corrupt intentions.
He openly stated he was motivated by the Russia probe. After all, twitter is the official word of the POTUS. There goes his pure intentions defense.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Maybe, but I seriously doubt Mueller is putting pressure on him to change his politics.

Honestly, I have no idea what his game plan is here. Is he trying to garner favour in the public arena? To what purpose?
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:31 pm Maybe, but I seriously doubt Mueller is putting pressure on him to change his politics.

Honestly, I have no idea what his game plan is here. Is he trying to garner favour in the public arena? To what purpose?
He's signalling to POTUS: "I'm desperate! Pardon me or fire Mueller before my lawyer bills destroy me!"

Trump can do neither, so he'll flip within days if he hasn't already.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If we assume the signalling is not a likely explanation, I'm still waiting for a reason for him to distance himself so publically from the RNC et al.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:57 pm If we assume the signalling is not a likely explanation, I'm still waiting for a reason for him to distance himself so publically from the RNC et al.
Can you think of one? Mere verbal gestures won't placate the investigators, and this was a public announcement meant for public consumption.

He's not an elected official. He has just one constituent.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

No. I'm just assuming that Drumpf's personal lawyer has a better pipeline to the boss than fake news media headlines.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:55 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:31 pm Maybe, but I seriously doubt Mueller is putting pressure on him to change his politics.

He's signalling to POTUS: "I'm desperate! Pardon me or fire Mueller before my lawyer bills destroy me!"

Trump can do neither, so he'll flip within days if he hasn't already.
Oh, yeah, he's desperately signaling. No doubt about that. I read today that he's upset that Trump hasn't offered to pay his legal bills. If he has something on Trump, this is seriously short sighted. His legal bills would be a drop in the bucket to what the eventual cost to Trump is. But maybe he has nothing on Trump. But then again, Trump really isn't a a rational actor by normal standards much of the time.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

This was obviously a case of tomfoolery during production that was accidentally or stupidly sent out live.

ABC made a sincere and full apology almost immediately, but Trump still tweeted about it hours later as if it had been sincere Fake News reporting.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

When you know you're about to go to hell, it might never seem too late to score some points with the other side and hope that the pineapples they shove in your ass are a little smaller.

Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There’s zero chance that Cohen doesn’t have dirt on Trump.

There’s also zero chance any of it would bother Trumpies.
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:38 am There’s zero chance that Cohen doesn’t have dirt on Trump.

There’s also zero chance any of it would bother Trumpies.
Zero chances, zero tolerance, zero f##ks. The Republican Way.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will say that my fingers are crossed that Cohen has a copy of the pee tape. While it would just cause Trumpies to suddenly become devotees of the golden shower, it would make Washington just that much more uncomfortable. :twisted:
He won. Period.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:42 pm I will say that my fingers are crossed that Cohen has a copy of the pee tape. While it would just cause Trumpies to suddenly become devotees of the golden shower, it would make Washington just that much more uncomfortable. :twisted:
Washington more uncomfortable. America more kinky. Win win.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

More kinky?
I'm pretty sure this guy has been out in public with a butt plug for at least 2 years.
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Fitzy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:06 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:42 pm I will say that my fingers are crossed that Cohen has a copy of the pee tape. While it would just cause Trumpies to suddenly become devotees of the golden shower, it would make Washington just that much more uncomfortable. :twisted:
Washington more uncomfortable. America more kinky. Win win.
Be careful. Sources indicate that the pee tape is "hot as hell".
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: :lol:
He won. Period.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:20 pm More kinky?
I'm pretty sure this guy has been out in public with a butt plug for at least 2 years.
Maybe sure, but it’s clearly not working. He should upgrade to a vibrating one. With Bluetooth and give the controls to his wife instead of Trump.

If there’s one thing America should be able to rally around it’s more kink!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

What fresh hell is this? Tom Arnold teaming up with Michael Cohen to take down Trump.
Comedian Tom Arnold said Friday that he and President Trump’s former longtime personal lawyer are teaming up to “take down” the president.

Arnold tweeted a photo with Michael Cohen on Thursday with the caption "I Love New York," which Cohen retweeted without comment.

Arnold then told NBC News that he met with Cohen as part of a show he is working on for Vice, in which he searches for incriminating videos of the president.

"This dude has all the tapes — this dude has everything,” Arnold told NBC News. "I say to Michael, 'Guess what? We’re taking Trump down together,’ and he’s so tired he’s like, 'OK,' and his wife is like, 'OK, f--- Trump.’”
Man, I'm just out...the plotline for this season is entirely too bizarre for me.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:03 am What fresh hell is this? Tom Arnold teaming up with Michael Cohen to take down Trump.
Comedian Tom Arnold said Friday that he and President Trump’s former longtime personal lawyer are teaming up to “take down” the president.

Arnold tweeted a photo with Michael Cohen on Thursday with the caption "I Love New York," which Cohen retweeted without comment.

Arnold then told NBC News that he met with Cohen as part of a show he is working on for Vice, in which he searches for incriminating videos of the president.

"This dude has all the tapes — this dude has everything,” Arnold told NBC News. "I say to Michael, 'Guess what? We’re taking Trump down together,’ and he’s so tired he’s like, 'OK,' and his wife is like, 'OK, f--- Trump.’”
Man, I'm just out...the plotline for this season is entirely too bizarre for me.
One potential significance of Tom Arnold is that he has claimed to have copies of Apprentice tapes with Trump saying racist shit. There's been no proof that Arnold actually has these, but he at least claims he does. If he wasn't bullshitting...those could surface in the near future.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Right, but what's up with Cohen.... seems like he'd like to keep the pardon thing alive?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:49 am Right, but what's up with Cohen.... seems like he'd like to keep the pardon thing alive?
I mean, who knows what anyone involved here is actually thinking. But if one's taking a cynical view, you could view this as Cohen trying to force Trump's hand. Basically, "you'd better step up and bail me out here or I'll have to start cooperating."

Also could just be Tom Arnold bullshitting.
Black Lives Matter.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:49 am Right, but what's up with Cohen.... seems like he'd like to keep the pardon thing alive?
An eventual pardon doesn’t pay the bills. A media deal or the threat of a media deal might.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:51 am Also could just be Tom Arnold bullshitting.
The most likely scenario, IMO.

We're actually talking about Tom Arnold, which is what he wants. I mean, when was the last time that happened?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:04 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:51 am Also could just be Tom Arnold bullshitting.
The most likely scenario, IMO.

We're actually talking about Tom Arnold, which is what he wants. I mean, when was the last time that happened?
He's no Randy Quaid, that's for sure.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

:coffee:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Yep, we called it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/special ... d=56143477
ABC News has since learned that Mueller is also reviewing Prince’s communications, a sign that Mueller could try to squeeze Prince, as he has others, probing potential inconsistencies in his sworn testimony in an attempt to pressure him to turn into a witness against other targets of the investigation. In response to questions from ABC News, a spokesperson for Prince released a statement noting that Prince has provided Mueller with “total access to his phone and computer.”

“As Mr. Prince told the Daily Beast he has spoken voluntarily with Congress and also cooperated completely with the Special Counsel’s investigation, including by providing them total access to his phones and computer,” the spokesperson said. “Mr. Prince has a lot of opinions about the various investigations, but there is no question that they are important and serious, and so Mr. Prince will keep his opinions to himself for now and to let the investigators do their work. All we will add is that much of the reporting and speculation about Mr. Prince in the media is inaccurate, and we are confident that when the investigators have finished their work, we will be able to put these distractions to the side.”

A spokesperson for the special counsel did not respond to a request for comment.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Hill (sorry no link--writing on phone) has reported that Mueller is now "accelerating" the collusion phase of the probe. They suggest a target of this Fall rather than next year for significant charges in that phase of the investigation. This could explain Trump's full-on conpiracy tweets this morning.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:17 am The Hill (sorry no link--writing on phone) has reported that Mueller is now "accelerating" the collusion phase of the probe. They suggest a target of this Fall rather than next year for significant charges in that phase of the investigation. This could explain Trump's full-on conpiracy tweets this morning.
Here you go. :)
Special counsel Robert Mueller will focus on allegations of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia in the coming months, Bloomberg reported Tuesday.

A person familiar with the investigation told Bloomberg that Mueller’s team is looking to wrap up the portion of the probe focused on collusion by the fall, and hand down any possible collusion-related charges in that time frame.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If true will they both be attacked for not wrapping up sooner (as they are now) and for wrapping up too close to the election, which you would think the witchunter claimers would want as it would vindicate their thrallness.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:23 am
A person familiar with the investigation told Bloomberg that Mueller’s team is looking to wrap up the portion of the probe focused on collusion by the fall, and hand down any possible collusion-related charges in that time frame.
Did that person's name rhyme with Diuliani?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Some "wild stuff" is coming.
As vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Virginia Democrat Mark Warner is in a position to know what, if anything, special counsel Robert Mueller has found during the course of his investigation into President Trump’s possible ties to Russia.

So Warner may not have been joking when, according to Politico, he made a joke about the Mueller probe at a Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee event on Martha’s Vineyard over the weekend.

“If you get me one more glass of wine, I’ll tell you stuff only Bob Mueller and I know,” Warner reportedly told the 100 or so guests. “If you think you’ve seen wild stuff so far, buckle up. It’s going to be a wild couple of months.”
:horse:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
A federal judge in Virginia rejected a bid by President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, to throw out charges in the special counsel’s Russia investigation, clearing the way for a much-anticipated trial to start as scheduled next month.

The decision Tuesday by U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III was a setback for Manafort in his defense against tax and bank fraud charges brought by special counsel Robert Mueller.

It also deals a blow to a favored talking point of Trump and his legal team as they continue to attack Mueller’s investigation. The president had applauded Ellis for his skeptical comments and pointed questioning during a hearing in which he asked Mueller’s team whether they brought the case to get Manafort to testify against Trump.

Trump had even read some of Ellis’ quotes aloud during a National Rifle Association rally, and as late as early June, Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani had built up suspense around the ruling, saying the judge was taking weeks to craft an opinion because “there’s a real problem” with Mueller’s appointment.

But in a 31-page ruling, Ellis rejected the argument of Manafort’s attorneys that Mueller had exceeded his authority by bringing charges unrelated to Russian election interference. He said that Mueller’s appointment as special counsel was lawful and that he was within his authority to investigate Manafort and file charges against him.

Yet he also expressed wariness about an excessively powerful special counsel, saying, “The appointment of special prosecutors has the potential to disrupt these checks and balances, and to inject a level of toxic partisanship into investigation of matters of public importance.

“This case is a reminder that ultimately, our system of checks and balances and limitations on each branch’s powers, although exquisitely designed, ultimately works only if people of virtue, sensitivity, and courage, not affected by the winds of public opinion, choose to work within the confines of the law,” he added.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

“This case is a reminder that ultimately, our system of checks and balances and limitations on each branch’s powers, although exquisitely designed, ultimately works only if people of virtue, sensitivity, and courage, not affected by the winds of public opinion, choose to work within the confines of the law,” he added.
Yeah, that's becoming painfully obvious.