For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Rip

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Rip »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:58 pm
Rip wrote:
Holman wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:54 pm
Rip wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:40 pm Until you get to the point that he never received the goods, also note that the receiving of them isn't so much a crime as paying to receive them. I don't know of anyone ever prosecuted for being on the receiving end of stolen goods, only when they actually pay for them.

Going to be a really tough sell.
I'm sure it's pure coincidence that Trump's first and main foreign policy goal at the RNC convention and in January 2017 was eliminating sanctions.
Wanting something and delivering something are miles apart. Transaction isn't complete until payment is made. There is a reason the cops always wait for the actual exchange of the money. Hell Menendez actually delivered on what he was paid for and still didn't get shit for it.
Conspiracy to commit treason is still a conspiracy.
Wake me when the Manafort(or any other) indictments include anything of the sort. I would think if there is some conspiracy convictions coming some people would be charged with such, but alas they are not.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, don't worry. We will. :mrgreen:
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

So much for the payoff.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/30/trump-say ... ain-as-is/
With his record on Russia under scrutiny after the summit with Vladimir Putin, President Trump on Monday insisted that the United States will not drop sanctions against Moscow.

“Sanctions on Russia will remain as is,” Trump said, even as Putin demands that they be dropped.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Inside the disinformation campaign which rip loves to post :)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:48 am So much for the payoff.

With his record on Russia under scrutiny after the summit with Vladimir Putin, President Trump on Monday insisted that the United States will not drop sanctions against Moscow.

“Sanctions on Russia will remain as is,” Trump said, even as Putin demands that they be dropped.
You do realize that the opening part of your quote explains exactly why he's doing that? If you're under suspicion of stealing from the cookie jar, you don't stand near the cookie jar again until things die down.

It's also the reason he called off that impromptu meeting in Washington with Putin. He's waiting for the heat to die down, my man.

:ninja:
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
An appeals court on Monday rejected Paul Manafort’s request to end his pre-trial detention ahead of the former Trump campaign chairman's second trial in Washington, D.C.
An appellate court Washington, D.C. upheld the judge's order, which said that Manafort "was unlikely to abide by any conditions the District Court might impose, including the 'most fundamental condition of release . . . that he not commit [additional] crime during the period of release.’”
The ruling on Manafort's pre-trial detention arrived the same day as he goes to trial in Virginia on bank and tax fraud charges.

Manafort is set to appear in court in D.C. in September on another series of charges, including obstructing justice, conspiracy to obstruct justice and illegal foreign lobbying.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:13 am

You do realize that the opening part of your quote explains exactly why he's doing that? If you're under suspicion of stealing from the cookie jar, you don't stand near the cookie jar again until things die down.

It's also the reason he called off that impromptu meeting in Washington with Putin. He's waiting for the heat to die down, my man.

Don't forget that the core of the point attempting to be made is based on a " Trump said." What Trump says doesn't reflect anything but how he wiggles his lips while exhaling. It isn't policy, it isn't reality, and it is only true until the next time "Trump said" something about it.
That's about as meaningful as a source claiming something his tarot cards said.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:13 am

Also much of the sanctions on Russia are codified in statute, which means that Trump can't remove all Russian sanctions unilaterally. Of course, there's plenty of evidence of Trump de facto gutting or refusing to effectively implement the sanctions, but he can't literally remove them without Congress going along (which, even as spineless as they are, they can't do in public view).
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:16 am The Hill
An appeals court on Monday rejected Paul Manafort’s request to end his pre-trial detention ahead of the former Trump campaign chairman's second trial in Washington, D.C.
An appellate court Washington, D.C. upheld the judge's order, which said that Manafort "was unlikely to abide by any conditions the District Court might impose, including the 'most fundamental condition of release . . . that he not commit [additional] crime during the period of release.’”
The ruling on Manafort's pre-trial detention arrived the same day as he goes to trial in Virginia on bank and tax fraud charges.

Manafort is set to appear in court in D.C. in September on another series of charges, including obstructing justice, conspiracy to obstruct justice and illegal foreign lobbying.

God, judges are such whiny nitpickers some time. "Don't commit more crimes while waiting for the trial for your current crimes" - what a hard-ass.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I guess someone's not realy happy about the Manafort trial:
Trump's tweet came before the trial of ex-campaign chief Paul Manafort entered its second day in federal court in Virginia. Manafort is being tried by Mueller's team.

Spoiler:
..This is a terrible situation and Attorney General Jeff Sessions should stop this Rigged Witch Hunt right now, before it continues to stain our country any further. Bob Mueller is totally conflicted, and his 17 Angry Democrats that are doing his dirty work are a disgrace to USA!
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Uh, Sessions recused himself. Mueller is Rosenstein's call. He knows this right? Sessions is just an easier punching bag I guess.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When the walls are closing in, it gets harder and harder to think straight.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:48 am When the walls are closing in, it gets harder and harder to think straight.
Also when one is an idiot.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I thought there were only 13 angry democrats. When did they pick up four more?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:50 am
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:48 am When the walls are closing in, it gets harder and harder to think straight.
I mean, really. Last week it was determined that Mueller was using Trump's Tweets to determine whether or not he was putting pressure on Sessions to obstruct justice.

Not even a week later, he's doing exactly what the news media reported he's being investigated for. It's unreal.

Let's see what his star attorney thinks:
Mr. Trump’s lead lawyer in the case, Rudolph W. Giuliani, dismissed Mr. Mueller’s interest in the tweets as part of a desperate quest to sink the president.

“If you’re going to obstruct justice, you do it quietly and secretly, not in public,” Mr. Giuliani said.
Or, you might think - if this is what he's willing to do publicly, imagine what's happening behind closed doors.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:02 pm I thought there were only 13 angry democrats. When did they pick up four more?
He's mixing them up with the Lying intelligence agencies.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:02 pm I thought there were only 13 angry democrats. When did they pick up four more?
First of all, it's Angry Democrats. Show some respect.

Second, I think Trump addressed this in a recent tweet. It was something like "...17 Angry Democrats (there were 13, then they got more)" or something along those lines. Not sure if Mueller actually added staff or not.
Black Lives Matter.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:12 pm
He's mixing them up with the Lying intelligence agencies.
Or it's just more evidence of his pathological need to inflate/exaggerate numbers.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:50 am
I can personally vouch for that.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I have to conclude that Manafort has been promised a pardon by Trump. From what I have read, it’s pretty obvious that he’s going to be convicted. When you have large deposits in your accounts but no taxes paid, well that’s not hard for a jury to understand. There’s just no way he get’s off. So why hasn’t he made a deal? It can only be due to a promise of a pardon. If so, then all hell will break loose. We live in interesting times.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:33 pm I have to conclude that Manafort has been promised a pardon by Trump. From what I have read, it’s pretty obvious that he’s going to be convicted. When you have large deposits in your accounts but no taxes paid, well that’s not hard for a jury to understand. There’s just no way he get’s off. So why hasn’t he made a deal? It can only be due to a promise of a pardon. If so, then all hell will break loose. We live in interesting times.
Well, I wouldn't put it past Trump to renege on the promise of a pardon either. I mean what happens once there's a conviction and no pardon? "Um, hey, wait, I actually wanted a deal..."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pack it in, boys. It's all over.

ABC
The judge in the trial of onetime Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort is telling prosecutors not to use the word "oligarch" to describe wealthy Ukrainians who paid millions to Manafort for his work as an international political consultant.

U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III says oligarch has a "pejorative" meaning and using it isn't relevant to the bank fraud and tax evasion charges against Manafort.

The judge also is cautioning lawyers for special counsel Robert Mueller that the term could imply that Manafort was associating with "despicable" people and therefore guilty himself.

In Ellis' words: "That's not the American way."

Ellis notes that wealthy Democratic donor George Soros or one of the conservative Koch (kohk) brothers could qualify as oligarchs.

Ellis' comments on the second day of Manafort's trial weren't made in front of the jury.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

He is the victim of a WITCH HUNT. NO COLLUSION. So of course there will be a pardon. But in this information age, he can't write the history books. This will be remembered and documented. What that means, remains to be seen, I guess.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:52 pm Pack it in, boys. It's all over.

ABC
The judge in the trial of onetime Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort is telling prosecutors not to use the word "oligarch" to describe wealthy Ukrainians who paid millions to Manafort for his work as an international political consultant.

U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III says oligarch has a "pejorative" meaning and using it isn't relevant to the bank fraud and tax evasion charges against Manafort.

The judge also is cautioning lawyers for special counsel Robert Mueller that the term could imply that Manafort was associating with "despicable" people and therefore guilty himself.

In Ellis' words: "That's not the American way."

Ellis notes that wealthy Democratic donor George Soros or one of the conservative Koch (kohk) brothers could qualify as oligarchs.

Ellis' comments on the second day of Manafort's trial weren't made in front of the jury.
Absurd. The prosecution should just say the 'very rich business leader with a great deal of political influence' in place of it.

More detail - it makes it even fucking stupider. Seriously sometimes you have to wonder where these people come from. Maybe they just need to call someone from the CIA or FBI to the stand to define how they use the word to describe political power in Russia and Russian adjacent regions. WTF.
But the judge took particular offense to the term “oligarch,” which prosecutor Greg Andres used yesterday in reference to those financing Viktor Yanukovych’s campaign. Ever the traditionalist, Ellis referred to the definition of “oligarchy,” where power resides in a select few.

“I suppose high schools are oligarchies in that sense,” Ellis said.

He said that use of the term “oligarch” implies Manafort is consorting with criminals, and there will be no evidence presented to the court about them. “The only thing we know is that they have a lot of money.”

So do George Soros and the Koch brothers, he added, but they wouldn’t be referred to as “oligarchs.”

He added that the term has taken on a “pejorative” connotation.

Andres tried to counter, but Ellis told him to “find another term to use” and suggested “he financed it.” He told Andres he could submit a brief explaining why he needs to use the word, which Andres indicated he would do.

“Nobody would refer to the principal of a high school as an oligarch,” but it could fit the definition, Ellis said.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

eh, I kind of get where the judge is coming from. Oligarch is a somewhat vague and pretty pejorative, meaning something along the lines of "rich and shady persons connected to a government", or something like that. It's not clear cut, but I think the judge's position here is defensible.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fair - though there is this additional bit I just saw.

"...Oligarch is defined as despotic power exercised by a privileged few...

I suppose you could define the word that way but I severely doubt the layperson does. It certainly seems like he is bending over backwards to define this word in a perjorative way. Maybe he is protecting against an appeal but it also smacks of someone who is a bit out of touch with the important grounding the case requires. Such as how that region operates. Still we'll see I suppose. Everything he does will be highly scrutinized so it is reasonable to believe he is just being (over)careful.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:27 pm eh, I kind of get where the judge is coming from. Oligarch is a somewhat vague and pretty pejorative, meaning something along the lines of "rich and shady persons connected to a government", or something like that. It's not clear cut, but I think the judge's position here is defensible.
Ditto. Word connotations shouldn't influence the weight of the criminal proceedings. I get why a prosecutor would want to charge the language but I also would get why the defense would want to put a stop to that shit and why judge would be on the defense side.

All that being the case, my vision in to courtroom is very small, so there may be other things going on. *shrug*
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The only word that matters is conspiracy.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:36 pm Ditto. Word connotations shouldn't influence the weight of the criminal proceedings. I get why a prosecutor would want to charge the language but I also would get why the defense would want to put a stop to that shit and why judge would be on the defense side.
That's the rub. Everyone was using oligarch including the defense and witnesses. Because it is a commonly used term. But whatever. By the accounts I've read, the judge took it on himself to make a point of it irrespective of everyone seemingly being ok with using it.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'd be shocked if more than 1 person the jury could correctly define oligarch.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, this is sort of weird. I 100% agree that the word "oligarch" is pejorative - one does not think of oligarchs doing generous, selfless things. Oligarch definitely isn't the same thing as criminal, though (especially since oligarchs are kind of by definition in bed with the government).
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I don't think it's a bad thing for a judge to try to set a neutral tone for a criminal trial, though, even when the defense counsel isn't being smart enough to request it. (If you wanted to be a conspiracy theorist, you could argue that the defense counsel was using the term as well in order to establish an ineffective counsel appeal, but that goes a little far for my taste.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Bookkeeper testimony in Manafort trial:
Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort's longtime bookkeeper testified Thursday that Manafort was in serious financial trouble in 2016 after his lobbying business dried up, and he and his deputy Rick Gates sent several fake, inflated income business statements to banks.

She walked the court through what the yearly profit and loss statements her company prepared for Manafort's DMP should have looked like. But the income statements that DMP provided to the banks that gave it loans were rife with misspellings, used different fonts and headers, omitted corporate disclaimers and left out some numbers the bookkeeper would have included.

One side-by-side of documents showed [bookkeeper] Washkuhn's company telling Federal Savings Bank that Manafort's company DMP International had lost $1.11 million in the first 11 months of 2016.

But Manafort then sent the same person at the bank, Dennis Raico, a financial statement for the first nine months of the year that said his company made $3 million.

Federal Savings Bank ultimately loaned to DMP when its executive Stephen Calk sought a Trump campaign position.

Ridiculous. :grund:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Fake News reporting, a complete fabrication, that I am concerned about the meeting my wonderful son, Donald, had in Trump Tower. This was a meeting to get information on an opponent, totally legal and done all the time in politics - and it went nowhere. I did not know about it!
"NO YES COLLUSION!"

Is the best part calling it Fake News while confirming the truth of what he has been calling Fake News?

Or is the best part throwing Don Jr. under the bus?
Last edited by Holman on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

His tweets verge on hate speech. Lots of outright lies. Wish they'd ban his orange ass.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The sound you hear is Trump’s lawyers banging their heads on their desks.

But I suppose we shouldn’t be surprised - Giuliani tested the everyone-would-do-it defense last week.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Whenever Trump tweets out a casual confession, it's usually an attempt to get out ahead of something that's coming.

Maybe we're going to hear more confirmation this week about the Trump Tower meetings. Then Giuliani can go on Fox and say "This isn't bad at all. The president was already owning it before the news came out. Big nothingburger."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:00 amOr is the best part throwing Don Jr. under the bus?
Did he really just confirm that the pretense of this meeting wasn't about adoption issues? Am I reading that right?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I was thinking the same thing.

He also just (re)declared he knew nothing about the meeting, when I believe just the other day Giuliani admitted/revealed/suggested that "Cohen was talking about a 'Prep for that meeting - meeting' that Trump had attended..."
edit:
Right? wrong.
I guess he spilled the beans about Cohen saying this meeting happened. but he says it never happened...

/shrug
Last edited by Unagi on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.