The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:Might just impanel to get a no bill so it can be put to bed.

Not suggesting that is likely, just that it is a possibility to be prepared for.
To get a "no bill"?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:

Not suggesting that is likely, just that it is a possibility to be prepared for.
To get a "no bill"?
No true bill? I think that's it? My brain thought it, but my fingers never typed it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:
El Guapo wrote:

To get a "no bill"?
No true bill? I think that's it? My brain thought it, but my fingers never typed it.
Pretty sure that's not a thing either.

Anyway, indications are that this the investigation is ramping up, especially since Mueller just brought on another big firm partner (and former head of the DOJ criminal division), who presumably would not be signing on just to get a "no true bill".
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The grand jury, which began its work in recent weeks, signals that Mr. Mueller’s inquiry will likely continue for months. Mr. Mueller is investigating Russia’s efforts to influence the 2016 election and whether President Donald Trump’s campaign or associates colluded with the Kremlin as part of that effort.
The news that it's happening broke today. The actual event was possibly back in June.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote:
The grand jury, which began its work in recent weeks, signals that Mr. Mueller’s inquiry will likely continue for months. Mr. Mueller is investigating Russia’s efforts to influence the 2016 election and whether President Donald Trump’s campaign or associates colluded with the Kremlin as part of that effort.
The news that it's happening broke today. The actual event was possibly back in June.
So he has been hiring people on since it began.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I can't wait to see how he handles this in his rally today. I'm grabbing some booze and making a drinking game out of how many times he says fake. It was nice knowing you guys. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:
stessier wrote:
El Guapo wrote:

To get a "no bill"?

Anyway, indications are that this the investigation is ramping up, especially since Mueller just brought on another big firm partner (and former head of the DOJ criminal division), who presumably would not be signing on just to get a "no true bill".
I know it's wikipedia, but at least I didn't just make it up.
Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 6[edit]
Rule 6 of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure governs grand juries. It requires grand juries to be composed of 16 to 23 members and that 12 members must concur in an indictment.[14] A grand jury is instructed to return an indictment if the probable cause standard has been met. The grand jury's decision is either a "true bill" (formerly billa vera, resulting in an "indictment"), or "no true bill".
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Holman

Post by Holman »

I assume this news puts the WH "They've gone a year with no evidence" talking point to bed?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

El Guapo wrote:
stessier wrote:
El Guapo wrote:

To get a "no bill"?

The intertubes claim it actually is a thing.
No true bill (definition)

A legal procedure to dismiss charges against a defendant when the grand jury does not find enough evidence to charge the defendant with violating a law. Also called a “no bill.”

Source: U.S. DOJ
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote:I assume this news puts the WH "They've gone a year with no evidence" talking point to bed?
It's almost as if you think that the White House cares about whether its talking points are based in facts.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is looking a whole lot like it'll at least be obstruction of justice for Trump himself. The threat that nearly the entirety of the top of the FBI could be testifying against Trump would be devastating. I'm hoping it does. The man needs to go ASAP.
Last edited by malchior on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Max Peck wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
stessier wrote:
El Guapo wrote:

To get a "no bill"?

A legal procedure to dismiss charges against a defendant when the grand jury does not find enough evidence to charge the defendant with violating a law. Also called a “no bill.”

Ah, thanks.

But there's no indication that Mueller is working towards a false bill here.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Billa Vera. Fun guy, know from way back. A true Bill.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Holman wrote:I assume this news puts the WH "They've gone a year with no evidence" talking point to bed?
Since when has reality stopped a political talking point?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Weird. When was it that well-known crazy person Louise Mensch was going on about a grand jury having been convened?

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

msteelers wrote:
Since when has reality stopped a political talking point?
They've gone a year and it's all still nothingburgers. Trump is still president which proves he's is innocent and we should be spending these resources prosecuting HRC.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Investigate Hillary! Why aren't you investigating her? Obama should have stopped Russia! I don't even know how to spell Putin! Mueller is a dishonest person and needs to be removed! You better not look into my money!

That should cover about 90% of it. Now I just have to avoid the Bedminster area for 3 f'n weeks. Thankfully I really have no reason to want to be around there. Last time for the tourney I drove through and there were supporters cheering on the side of the road. I had a hard time not flipping them off. :oops:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
stessier wrote:
El Guapo wrote:

To get a "no bill"?

Ah, thanks.

But there's no indication that Mueller is working towards a false bill here.
Federal Grand Juries almost always end in indictment. (You can safely ignore all the cop shooting stuff - this was just the first relevant google entry :geek: )
Holman

Post by Holman »

Max Peck wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
Weird. When was it that well-known crazy person Louise Mensch was going on about a grand jury having been convened?
Claude Taylor was talking about it several months ago, but his sources seemed to be referring to the Flynn grand jury, which is older than this new one. People knew about it at the time.

Mensch is off her rocker. Some months back claimed that the Marshal of the Supreme Court had been sent to arrest key Trump people, and that's just one example. Her crazy pattern is accusing *everyone* she disagrees with of being in the pay of the Kremlin.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, Taylor and Mensch have also been saying that they have already issued sealed indictments against key people, including Trump himself. Going to unseal those indictments any day now, I'm sure.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
Claude Taylor was talking about it several months ago, but his sources seemed to be referring to the Flynn grand jury, which is older than this new one. People knew about it at the time.

Mensch is off her rocker. Some months back claimed that the Marshal of the Supreme Court had been sent to arrest key Trump people, and that's just one example. Her crazy pattern is accusing *everyone* she disagrees with of being in the pay of the Kremlin.
Claude has been slipping into some wacky stuff himself. Claude has been peddling the #pizzagate of the left. Essentially a conspiracy theory about the Trump modeling agency trafficking young teens. Complete with a story about Trump threatening to disappear a young teenager after molesting her. I'm a bit skeptical of him now too </understatement>.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I gave up on the whole #ScoobyGang not too long after discovering them.

It's probably true that Taylor (not Mensch) knows some of the same people who provide insider perspective to actual reporters, but the willingness to extrapolate wishful thinking is a textbook example of bad journalism. This is true even if some of the suppositions are confirmed in time.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In other fake breaking news:https://twitter.com/Marshall_Cohen/stat ... 8847726592
@Marshall_Cohen wrote:BREAKING: Trump's onetime foreign policy adviser CARTER PAGE was under a FISA warrant since 2014, CNN has learned.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Enough

Post by Enough »

Holman wrote:I gave up on the whole #ScoobyGang not too long after discovering them.

It's probably true that Taylor (not Mensch) knows some of the same people who provide insider perspective to actual reporters, but the willingness to extrapolate wishful thinking is a textbook example of bad journalism. This is true even if some of the suppositions are confirmed in time.
Truth indeed. I liked the Alex Jones comparison a few days ago.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I'm a few weeks in to grand jury duty, and the notion that they would bring something to the grand jury for the purpose of getting a no bill vote makes no sense to me.

They come to the grand jury with a prepared indictment, with the case presented by the prosecutor. They don't get there unless the prosecutor is confident that they will get a vote to bill.

I would think that it would be *very* difficult to get an unbiased grand jury on this though. Also, I would keep in mind that the grand jury has the power to originate charges as well. I don't know how you find enough impartial people for this.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
malchior

Post by malchior »

RunningMn9 wrote:They come to the grand jury with a prepared indictment, with the case presented by the prosecutor. They don't get there unless the prosecutor is confident that they will get a vote to bill.
I'll strongly and cynically (but accurately) caveat that this is true for anyone besides police officers in state courts.
I would think that it would be *very* difficult to get an unbiased grand jury on this though. Also, I would keep in mind that the grand jury has the power to originate charges as well. I don't know how you find enough impartial people for this.
I don't think this is actually much of a problem. If I recall from my exposure to law classes in yesterdays...they don't screen them for bias in many jurisdictions. They usually are judging the prosecutor's evidence to go forward with a trial. It isn't much of a bump for anyone besides the aforementioned police officers.
RunningMn9

The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by RunningMn9 »

malchior wrote:I don't think this is actually much of a problem. If I recall from my exposure to law classes in yesterdays...they don't screen them for bias in many jurisdictions. They usually are judging the prosecutor's evidence to go forward with a trial. It isn't much of a bump for anyone besides the aforementioned police officers.
If I recall from my being seated on a grand jury every Monday morning, I can tell you that it seems like a problem to me. They screened us for bias initially, and then again before every single case as the prosecutor lays out the indictments.

And they are *supposed* to just judge the prosecutor's evidence to go forward with a trial. Very few of the 23 people in that room are following those instructions. I have yet to hear a single question that was relevant to the task at hand - was a crime committed, is it probable that this person committed it?

They treat every case like they are trying to solve it. I hate them.

In any case, at the end of the day, these people get to anonymously press a button indicating bill or no bill. It would be easy for bias to dictate which button to press. These are *not* our finest citizens.

Also, what does it mean that he has impaneled a grand jury? It was my understanding that there is always a grand jury sitting. You don't create them for one case. You just show up when you are ready to present the indictment.
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote:Also, what does it mean that he has impaneled a grand jury? It was my understanding that there is always a grand jury sitting. You don't create them for one case. You just show up when you are ready to present the indictment.
Read the details (in lovely 40-posts Twitter format) from Seth Abramson. You are at step #6. The fun begins at step #10. :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:Also, what does it mean that he has impaneled a grand jury? It was my understanding that there is always a grand jury sitting. You don't create them for one case. You just show up when you are ready to present the indictment.
Read the details (in lovely 40-posts Twitter format) from Seth Abramson. You are at step #6. The fun begins at step #10. :D
But I think (I may be wrong here) that his point was that grand juries (like other jury systems) are formed without connection to a case, and are on-hold and available for 'the next case that needs a grand jury'.
So, I guess I would say that 'impanelling' a grand jury just means to say that he has engaged one that was on stand-by ?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote:
(13) The impaneling of a grand jury in the Russia probe was inevitable given that (as I/others have said) it's clear crimes were committed.

Can someone help me with this one?
what crimes were 'clearly' committed?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

is that a combination of these two steps?:

(14) Mueller only would've forsworn a grand jury if he'd taken over the case and immediately found no even *potential* evidence of a crime.

(15) If anything, Mueller taking this long to impanel a grand jury means that he's being *incredibly deliberative* about this investigation.
tgb

Post by tgb »

If Mueller is diving deep enough to justify a grand jury, this investigation is probably going to last into next year, maybe even next Summer. Trump can't fire him without facing a palace revolt, so what does he do in the meantime?

Perhaps he reaches out to Vlad and suggests it would be best for everyone concerned if Mueller had an "accident". If I were Mueller I'd be hiring a couple of bodyguards and a food taster.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I guess this is the difference between an *investigative* grand jury, and the nonsense I have to deal with.
Make up bags of change
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
(13) The impaneling of a grand jury in the Russia probe was inevitable given that (as I/others have said) it's clear crimes were committed.

Can someone help me with this one?
what crimes were 'clearly' committed?
Kushner (and I think Flynn) pretty clearly violated FARA (the Foreign Agents Registration Act). Kushner also pretty clearly lied on his security clearance forms (regarding meeting with foreign agents). Manafort I am less clear on his crimes, but my impression is that he's pretty clearly dead to rights on some of the foreign agent stuff as well.

And Trump pretty clearly obstructed justice when he fired Comey specifically to stop an investigation against him and his people and then publicly stated that he did so for that reason. Though that's a tougher road.

There others too. It seems pretty clear to me that Eric Trump committed fraud when he told donors that he was getting the Trump golf course and other stuff for free when he knew that he wasn't. Though I don't know that Mueller is looking into that (assume not).

Honestly at this point it's not whether there are indictments, but how many.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

tgb wrote:If Mueller is diving deep enough to justify a grand jury, this investigation is probably going to last into next year, maybe even next Summer. Trump can't fire him without facing a palace revolt, so what does he do in the meantime?

Perhaps he reaches out to Vlad and suggests it would be best for everyone concerned if Mueller had an "accident". If I were Mueller I'd be hiring a couple of bodyguards and a food taster.
Sort of. Mueller has the whole "Trump might try to fire me at any moment" hanging over his head, so I assume that he's going to try to go at a faster pace than he would otherwise.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I read some thoughts (can't find them now) that Mueller would have some protection now. Firing him while a grand jury is in play would look pretty bad.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote:Firing him while a grand jury is in play would look pretty bad.
That's good to know, because the one thing I've really come to appreciate in the last 8 months is just how concerned President Trump is with how things appear for him, his administration, family members and company.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote:
malchior wrote:Firing him while a grand jury is in play would look pretty bad.
That's good to know, because the one thing I've really come to appreciate in the last 8 months is just how concerned President Trump is with how things appear for him, his administration, family members and company.
That was my immediate thought as well.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Politico reporting that two Republican House Intelligence Committee staffers traveled to London a few months ago to look for Christopher Steele. The amazing part? They did it without telling the Democrats on the committee, the Senate Intelligence Committee or Robert Mueller. That sounds totally normal.
The previously unreported trip underscores the importance of the 35-page dossier Christopher Steele wrote last year to congressional probes into possible collusion between Moscow and the 2016 Trump campaign.

It also has inflamed simmering tensions between House and Senate investigators as they pursue simultaneous probes into the Trump-Russia connection.
So in summary, yeah, there's a pee-pee tape.

EDIT: Fret forgive me
Last edited by Smoove_B on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.