The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: The Trump Investigation Thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

RunningMn9 wrote:In any case, at the end of the day, these people get to anonymously press a button indicating bill or no bill. It would be easy for bias to dictate which button to press. These are *not* our finest citizens.
They're rapists, but some of them are good people, I assume.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote:
malchior wrote:Firing him while a grand jury is in play would look pretty bad.
That's good to know, because the one thing I've really come to appreciate in the last 8 months is just how concerned President Trump is with how things appear for him, his administration, family members and company.
Isn't this where talk of just pardoning everyone starts again?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:They're rapists, but some of them are good people, I assume.
I wouldn't make that assumption.

There are several absolute dunces in our group that are completely incapable of understanding what is happening around them at any given moment. And they get votes too.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote:There are several absolute dunces in our group that are completely incapable of understanding what is happening around them at any given moment. And they get votes too.
Hey. You take that back! Oh, you mean in your jury... You may proceed.

How does being selected for a grand jury "every Monday morning" work?

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-pr ... -work.html

Grand jury members may be called for jury duty for months at a time, but need only appear in court for a few days out of every month./quote]

Ack! My job would... suffer.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The hope is that the jury of less intelligent peers will be swayed by the others. When I was on a jury, there were a few people whose thinking was flawed in every way but their gut reactions were usually sound. It was annoying but it justified using a pool of your "peers" as jurors.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

tgb wrote:If Mueller is diving deep enough to justify a grand jury, this investigation is probably going to last into next year, maybe even next Summer. Trump can't fire him without facing a palace revolt, so what does he do in the meantime?

Perhaps he reaches out to Vlad and suggests it would be best for everyone concerned if Mueller had an "accident". If I were Mueller I'd be hiring a couple of bodyguards and a food taster.
Fox and the right-wing fringe has ramped up the "Deep State" narrative of sinister Obama stay-behinds undermining Trump. Hannity has been calling for Mueller's firing and then for the firing of *everyone* in a sensitive position who was appointed before 2017. This morning or yesterday there was approving talk on Fox of how Real Americans will riot if indictments are handed down against Trump family members.

Assange and Russian propaganda have been pushing the Deep State angle as well. Russian news and Russian bots talk about how Trump and American Democracy are being betrayed by traitors and leakers. Assange has hinted that he has new secrets.
Last edited by Holman on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Holman wrote:Hannity has been calling for Mueller's firing and then for the firing of *everyone* in a sensitive position who was appointed before 2017. This morning or yesterday there was approving talk on Fox of how Real Americans will riot if indictments are handed down against Trump family members.
No other President had this much trouble with career appointees. That's a pretty clear indictment of Trump's inability to lead.

But you can always count on Hannity to hurt America for his side.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This morning or yesterday there was approving talk on Fox of how Real Americans will riot
Fuck them. Whoever these approvers are, they need to just go lock themselves in a corner and go on fucking themselves until the end of days.

The exact thing we don't want is rioting in the streets and appeasing these pieces of shit and their egos is already doing too much damage to the country.

... And now back to being a little less outraged...
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm sure the police will be oh-so-gentle when making arrests of those white rioters, as Trump desires.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Now that I think about it, I'll hold the outburst in check but keep the outrage.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2101
(a) Whoever travels in interstate or foreign commerce or uses any facility of interstate or foreign commerce, including, but not limited to, the mail, telegraph, telephone, radio, or television, with intent—
(1) to incite a riot; or
(2) to organize, promote, encourage, participate in, or carry on a riot; or
(3) to commit any act of violence in furtherance of a riot; or
(4) to aid or abet any person in inciting or participating in or carrying on a riot or committing any act of violence in furtherance of a riot;
and who either during the course of any such travel or use or thereafter performs or attempts to perform any other overt act for any purpose specified in subparagraph (A), (B), (C), or (D) of this paragraph— [1]
Shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
Or was a it a joke. Where we all can have a good laugh.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

LordMortis wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:There are several absolute dunces in our group that are completely incapable of understanding what is happening around them at any given moment. And they get votes too.
Hey. You take that back! Oh, you mean in your jury... You may proceed.

How does being selected for a grand jury "every Monday morning" work?

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-pr ... -work.html

Grand jury members may be called for jury duty for months at a time, but need only appear in court for a few days out of every month./quote]

Ack! My job would... suffer.
What about your OO output? If they don't allow outside connections...
malchior

Post by malchior »

TheMix wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
malchior wrote:Firing him while a grand jury is in play would look pretty bad.
That's good to know, because the one thing I've really come to appreciate in the last 8 months is just how concerned President Trump is with how things appear for him, his administration, family members and company.
That was my immediate thought as well.
Well you have to figure there are two bipartisan bills out there to protect Mueller as well. I think the idea is that Trump might not give a fuck but they are hinting there is a red line that he can't cross. Firing Mueller is one of them. Especially while he is in the middle of a grand jury investigation. As cowardly as the GOP has been, there is some room to hope that influential members will act decently (sometimes even without being forced to!) at some point. All the back channel stuff that has been happening indicates that to some degree.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

There's no way in hell the GOP actually want Trump in office over Pence. They just have to figure out the most delicate way of removing him without risking their own necks.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Fitzy wrote:What about your OO output? If they don't allow outside connections...
No Internet is like a vacation for me and it's weird how quickly the addiction subsides when the source isn't available. It's quite unlike smoking. I haven't had cigarette since 2016 and every day still feels like the first day I quit. Whereas when I have a vacation day, I never turn a computer most of the time. But when I'm working, first thing I do after working on a computer for 9 to 11 hours or more straight? Get home and turn on the PC. Born stupid.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

LordMortis wrote:How does being selected for a grand jury "every Monday morning" work?
It's a little bit harder to get out of grand jury than petit jury duty (at least here). I got "lucky" and got picked for grand jury duty at the county level (and the county courthouse is in the next town so is very close). Our term of service is 16 weeks, and we have to show up every Monday at 8:30 AM, prepared to be there until as late as 4 PM.

At 9 AM, the first scheduled prosecutor shows up and presents their case. We can ask the witness(es) questions, we can ask to hear from other witnesses, that sort of thing. Once we have no more questions, we deliberate. When we are done with that, we vote using little key fobs. 12 votes to bill means we indicted the individual. With 23 of us, it is a near certainty that we will bill every single case before us. Should people be out, you still need 12 votes to bill, so it can get dicey if there are only 15 or so people present.

They expect that you will miss around three days. I missed one already, and have an excused absence in two weeks. They called me about an hour ago to let me know that this Monday is cancelled because there wasn't anything to bring to us. That's a first.

It has wreaked havoc on my work schedule. My normal schedule is to work 9 hours a day Mon through Thu, and then alternate 8 hours or a day off on Fridays. After getting seated, I discovered that my employers provides 8 hours of paid Jury Duty service. Per year.

To accomodate everything, I switched my Fri schedule to Mon, and spend my scheduled day off in the court house administering justice. My boss amended the corporate policy to take care of the rest of the time so I still get paid. On those non-day off days, as soon as we are done at the courthouse, I come in to work.

It's a pain in the butt and super-inconvenient. We started on Jul 10, and it goes through Halloween. At least it's not a federal grand jury, as those sad bastards get seated for 18 months, and I'd have to drive in to Newark, Camden or Trenton (forget which). That would suck mightily.
Make up bags of change
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, on the plus side, there's about to be more support for abolishing grand juries soon.
Black Lives Matter.
geezer

Post by geezer »

RunningMn9 wrote: It has wreaked havoc on my work schedule. My normal schedule is to work 9 hours a day Mon through Thu, and then alternate 8 hours or a day off on Fridays. After getting seated, I discovered that my employers provides 8 hours of paid Jury Duty service. Per year.
Can they do that? I figured they would be required to consider that paid leave. That sucks.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I thought I had learned that 'by law' they had to honor your jury service (as long as you turned the jury pay back over to them)... something like that.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I can't be fired for serving on a jury. There is no law stating that I have to be paid by my employer while I am on jury duty. It's academic at this point, as my boss fixed the policy so that my kids can still eat, but he didn't have to.

I was prepared to work four 10-hour days so that the lights could stay on, but he decided to pay me instead. You can try to get out of serving by proving financial hardship, but it's not always that easy.

In my case, if the judge had asked me if I could have worked around not getting paid I would have said yes. No way I'm lying to a judge.
Make up bags of change
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Holman wrote:This morning or yesterday there was approving talk on Fox of how Real Americans will riot if indictments are handed down against Trump family members.
We're too fat, old, and unhealthy for that. Trump was a last desperate bid anyway, back to prepping for an exit strategy. Please pick a new national name & flag, and we'll go quietly into that good night. The end. :ninja:
Stop funding for NPR
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The latest Russian stuff involves them planting and spreading a "Fire McMaster" hashtag on social media. Naturally, people in Trump circles are now saying it's time for Trump to fire McMaster immediately. Which is what the Russians want!
Hodor.
tgb

Post by tgb »

pr0ner wrote:The latest Russian stuff involves them planting and spreading a "Fire McMaster" hashtag on social media. Naturally, people in Trump circles are now saying it's time for Trump to fire McMaster immediately. Which is what the Russians want!
What's the justification?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

tgb wrote:
pr0ner wrote:The latest Russian stuff involves them planting and spreading a "Fire McMaster" hashtag on social media. Naturally, people in Trump circles are now saying it's time for Trump to fire McMaster immediately. Which is what the Russians want!
What's the justification?
He once laughed at a funny picture of Putin.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

McMaster is suspected of being aligned with Deep State traitors and wreckers.

Also, he has fired more Flynn-affiliated extremists, and this week he said that Susan Rice did nothing wrong with her unmasking requests (thus refuting the "Obama spied on Trump" narrative).
malchior

Post by malchior »

The extreme right-wing is also crowing about how McMaster is friendly to Muslim extremists because he is keeping some Obama-era strategists on the NSC. There are also some charming accounts that Bannon boosters are claiming that McMaster's is 'Controlled by Jews' and somehow also against Isreal.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Because having experienced people with good institutional knowledge is a bad thing. Argh.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote:The extreme right-wing is also crowing about how McMaster is friendly to Muslim extremists because he is keeping some Obama-era strategists on the NSC. There are also some charming accounts that Bannon boosters are claiming that McMaster's is 'Controlled by Jews' and somehow also against Isreal.
Sort of amusingly, Cernovich (a pro-trump flak) was depicting McMaster as controlled by "the Rothschilds", but then after taking head heat for it, switched it to him being controlled by "the Saudis". Any middle-eastern group with a different religion will do, I guess.
Last edited by El Guapo on Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That is an unfortunate typo.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

He's gotta pay the bills somehow, I guess.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Cernovich is most famous for pushing the Pizzagate scandal, Gamergate, and "Men's Rights" arguments about the impossibility of rape. He declared himself a member of the alt-right during the Trump campaign, and he's a regular host on InfoWars.

Oh, and Trump's people gave him WH press credentials.
Rip

Post by Rip »

He is a McMaster of disguise......
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rip

Post by Rip »

But can we trust someone who has been linked to North Korea?

:ninja:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trump must be bored because it's raining in Jersey and he can't play golf, going on another Twitter tantrum (his second today!) about Senator Dick Blumenthal after ranting about how the "Fake News Media" isn't reporting on the importance of the new North Korean sanctions. Egads.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I won't defend Blumenthal because I don't know shit about him but you'd think Trump would be careful when discussing Viet Nam con artistry, when he deferred draft five times, once for a "temporary condition with bone spurs" that "healed up on its own."

I'm also trying to figure out what it has to do Trump's relationship to Russia.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

LordMortis wrote:I won't defend Blumenthal because I don't know shit about him but you'd think Trump would be careful when discussing Viet Nam con artistry, when he deferred draft five times, once for a "temporary condition with bone spurs" that "healed up on its own."

The bone spurs came from Russia. :ninja:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LordMortis wrote:I won't defend Blumenthal because I don't know shit about him but you'd think Trump would be careful when discussing Viet Nam con artistry, when he deferred draft five times, once for a "temporary condition with bone spurs" that "healed up on its own."

Blumenthal had some pointed comments about the Russia investigation that grinded Trump's gears.
Hodor.
raydude

Post by raydude »

em2nought wrote:
Holman wrote:This morning or yesterday there was approving talk on Fox of how Real Americans will riot if indictments are handed down against Trump family members.
We're too fat, old, and unhealthy for that. Trump was a last desperate bid anyway, back to prepping for an exit strategy. Please pick a new national name & flag, and we'll go quietly into that good night. The end. :ninja:
Request granted. Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
President Trump has publicly called the widening federal investigation into Russia's election meddling a "witch hunt." But through his lawyer, Trump has sent private messages of "appreciation" to special counsel Robert Mueller.

"He appreciates what Bob Mueller is doing,'' Trump's chief counsel John Dowd told USA TODAY in an interview Tuesday. "He asked me to share that with him and that's what I've done.''

Trump's legal team has been in contact with Mueller's office, and Dowd says he has passed along the president's messages expressing “appreciation and greetings’’ to the special counsel.

“The president has sent messages back and forth,’’ Dowd said, declining to elaborate further.
Dowd has said all communications with Mueller have been proper.

“We get along well with Bob Mueller; our communications have been constructive,’’ the attorney said. “But it is important that our communications remain confidential. It’s important that there not be any breakdown in that trust.’’

For weeks, Washington political circles have been on high alert for the possibility the president could try to get rid of Mueller or otherwise wrest control of the Russia probe he denounces as a "hoax."

Yet in a sign that forcing out the former FBI director overseeing the federal Russia investigation is politically untenable, a growing number of government officials have moved to tamp down any talk of ousting Mueller – including, apparently Trump himself.

“That’s never been on the table, never,’’ Dowd said of the possibility Trump might try to remove the special counsel. “It’s a manifestation of the media. My dealings with Bob Mueller have always been cordial, respectful — the way it should be."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Manafort's house was raided in late July by the FBI. But still a nothingburger I suppose.