Bill Maher In Hot Water

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

tgb

Bill Maher In Hot Water

Post by tgb »

for saying ni**er on the air.

Context is everything. It's not like he used it against somebody. He made a stupid joke and a once-common phrase slipped out.

Interesting that the Times article not only included the word completly spelled out, but imbedded the clip as well, yet it doesn't appear to be getting the paper in trouble.

Which just proves my point that context is important.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Max Peck

Re: Bill Maher In Hot Water

Post by Max Peck »

I've never really understood the taboo against using a verboten word while discussing the word itself. It seems profoundly Kafkaesque.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rip

Post by Rip »

Agree, off color and unwise but that is who he is.

As long as he isn't using it to name call someone it seems like a big nothingburger.
geezer

Post by geezer »

tgb wrote:for saying ni**er on the air.

Context is everything. It's not like he used it against somebody. He made a stupid joke and a once-common phrase slipped out.

Interesting that the Times article not only included the word completly spelled out, but imbedded the clip as well, yet it doesn't appear to be getting the paper in trouble.

Which just proves my point that context is important.
Context is everything, yes, and so printing the word while discussing the incident is one thing... Actually using the phrase as a joke is uncool. Not as uncool maybe as using the term to insult someone, but uncool nonetheless..
tgb

Post by tgb »

It was definitely uncool and a stupid slip, but I don't think it merits all the backlash he's getting for it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What is so ridiculous is it is acceptable to say "the n word" where everyone knows exactly what you mean.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Maher's brand of persistently smug dickery is as much to blame as the bare use of the word itself.

Nebraska's Sasses invited him to come to Nebraska and "work in the fields," a clearly non-racial bit of canned folksiness about being from an agricultural state.

Maher's brain leaped from fields to slaves for some reason, and then decided it would be funny to call himself a "house n-gger" as a joke on avoiding physical labor. He surely knows the cultural history by which that full term is loaded and derogatory in all kinds of special ways, and the whole chain of association and mis-application here is just full of ick.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Holman wrote:Maher's brand of persistently smug dickery is as much to blame as the bare use of the word itself.

Nebraska's Sasses invited him to come to Nebraska and "work in the fields," a clearly non-racial bit of canned folksiness about being from an agricultural state.

Maher's brain leaped from fields to slaves for some reason, and then decided it would be funny to call himself a "house n-gger" as a joke on avoiding physical labor. He surely knows the cultural history by which that full term is loaded and derogatory in all kinds of special ways, and the whole chain of association and mis-application here is just full of ick.
This.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Meh. I'm pretty sure he was aware of the context and thought the ick was funny. It's not particularly funny, but I see how it was intended to be.

While words are important, I think intent and context matter. Here that helps Maher even though he's being a dick.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Enough

Post by Enough »

geezer wrote:
Holman wrote:Maher's brand of persistently smug dickery is as much to blame as the bare use of the word itself.

This.
Yeah. When I first watched him all those years ago I tricked myself into thinking he was funny. It turns out I was wrong. It's been years since I've enjoyed his bit. :o
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Maher can be funny, but he gets unfunny when he's smug and gets to be a dick about it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon