The state of the (dis-)union...

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: The state of the (dis-)union...

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:05 am I didn't watch the speech but saw the quote on investigations, and that is scary. How far can it be from him saying the investigations need to stop to taking action to make them stop?

They're telling me I can stop the investigations. I'm letting them happen but I could stop them. You can't let Comey and the democrats he's covering for go unchecked with this Steele dossier which has been false.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

"We must choose between results or resistance"

Ummm.... I made that choice in 2016. I don't regret even though results have had too many victories, and despite your ego they predate your tenure. McConnell has been getting results for far too long.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I told my mother I thought I could probably give a better speech than POTUS before tuning in, but I thought he did a decent job of it. Better than I could have. Maybe a little too much patting himself on the back, but it's not like somebody else is going to do it for him. I don't think you can "honestly" dismiss some of the improvements we've had during his tenure. Not sure I like the ideas of more big spending, but if more tax money is rolling in from a booming economy maybe more spending is not so bad.

The rebuttal was delivered very well, but I thought the whole shutdown blame game was pretty weak. It's not like the people who didn't get one paycheck had to go on the Maduro diet for an entire year. Hopefully it was a good economics lesson about keeping some funds in reserve for emergencies. Living in hurricane territory I keep cash on hand during the season. If I was a federal worker I imagine I'd keep a reserve to make myself shutdown proof. :think:
Stop funding for NPR
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:33 pm Maybe a little too much patting himself on the back,
The man's entire life has been a constant attempt to twist his arms around so he can pat himself on the back.
em2nought wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:33 pm It's not like the people who didn't get one paycheck had to go on the Maduro diet for an entire year. Hopefully it was a good economics lesson about keeping some funds in reserve for emergencies. Living in hurricane territory I keep cash on hand during the season. If I was a federal worker I imagine I'd keep a reserve to make myself shutdown proof. :think:
Fuck families who live paycheck to paycheck because of medical expenses or whatever, huh?
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:29 pm Fuck families who live paycheck to paycheck because of medical expenses or whatever, huh?
My wouldn't I be a horrible person if I had indeed spoken the words others have placed in my mouth. :roll:
Stop funding for NPR
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sadly, no one is putting any words into your mouth. Your posting history speaks for itself.
He won. Period.
geezer

Post by geezer »

em2nought wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:33 pm I told my mother I thought I could probably give a better speech than POTUS before tuning in, but I thought he did a decent job of it. Better than I could have. Maybe a little too much patting himself on the back, but it's not like somebody else is going to do it for him. I don't think you can "honestly" dismiss some of the improvements we've had during his tenure. Not sure I like the ideas of more big spending, but if more tax money is rolling in from a booming economy maybe more spending is not so bad.

Tax receipts are down substantially according to everything I can find.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:22 pm Sadly, no one is putting any words into your mouth. Your posting history speaks for itself.
I'll do you a favor and look at all 31 pages of my R&P postings for these offensive posts then I'll list them in one place so you have an easy link to point to in the future. Give me a few days. :wink:
Stop funding for NPR
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

As always, I want to know what policies Drumpf has put in place that are directly traceable to the positive state of the economy. Otherwise correlation is not causation, particularly when many of his policies *are* directly traceable to negative economic consequences.

I live the farthest in the future of any previous generation. Obviously it's because I'm the most forward thinking.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

em2nought wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:15 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:29 pm Fuck families who live paycheck to paycheck because of medical expenses or whatever, huh?
My wouldn't I be a horrible person if I had indeed spoken the words others have placed in my mouth. :roll:
Hep was just asking a question. You didn't really say no.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Enlarge Image

Boss Lady quieting her clique. I might get her portrait tattooed on my back.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

geezer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:52 pm
em2nought wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:33 pm I told my mother I thought I could probably give a better speech than POTUS before tuning in, but I thought he did a decent job of it. Better than I could have. Maybe a little too much patting himself on the back, but it's not like somebody else is going to do it for him. I don't think you can "honestly" dismiss some of the improvements we've had during his tenure. Not sure I like the ideas of more big spending, but if more tax money is rolling in from a booming economy maybe more spending is not so bad.

Tariffs, however, have brought in an extra $17B. (Never mind that those are paid by American companies, and ultimately consumers and/or shareholders. I read that the tariffs cost Ford employees an average $750 on their annual profit-sharing bonus.) Sorry I couldn't find cites for those numbers, they're just from stories that have crossed my awareness in the past several days.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Kraken wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:08 pm
geezer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:52 pm

Tariffs, however, have brought in an extra $17B. (Never mind that those are paid by American companies, and ultimately consumers and/or shareholders. I read that the tariffs cost Ford employees an average $750 on their annual profit-sharing bonus.) Sorry I couldn't find cites for those numbers, they're just from stories that have crossed my awareness in the past several days.
Does that 17B number include the -12B that we’re paying to the soybean farmers? Or did we just borrow that -12B from China to pay the farmers that are losing business from ... China. :doh:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

geezer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:13 pm Or did we just borrow that -12B from China to pay the farmers that are losing business from ... China. :doh:
Like, sold federal bonds to the Chinese so you could borrow money while paying China interest on that money? You're so meta. I like.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:23 pm
geezer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:13 pm Or did we just borrow that -12B from China to pay the farmers that are losing business from ... China. :doh:
Like, sold federal bonds to the Chinese so you could borrow money while paying China interest on that money? You're so meta. I like.
In the end, it all goes to George Soros anyway.

IIRC, the $17B number was in a story fact-checking Trump's claim that his tariffs are bringing in "billions and billions." That's true, as far as it goes. Trump might not be so proud if he knew that foreigners aren't paying those billions, but he still doesn't know how tariffs work.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Wait. So China could pay for wall?
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jolor wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:38 pm Wait. So China could pay for wall?
Been there, done that.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

At least we're not talking about Nancy Pelosi's "crystal water display" like some far right loons were on Twitter on Tuesday.
Hodor.