Senator Rock

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Senator Rock

Post by Max Peck »

Fake Polls Are A Real Problem
Is Kid Rock leading the U.S. Senate race in Michigan? A story like that is essentially designed to go viral, and that’s exactly what happened when Delphi Analytica released a poll fielded from July 14 to July 18. Republican Kid Rock earned 30 percent to Sen. Debbie Stabenow’s 26 percent. A sitting U.S. senator was losing to a man who sang the lyric, “If I was president of the good ol’ USA, you know I’d turn our churches into strip clubs and watch the whole world pray.”

The result was so amazing that the poll was quickly spread around the political sections of the internet. Websites like Daily Caller, Political Wire and Twitchy all wrote about it. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott tweeted it out. And finally, Kid Rock himself shared an article from Gateway Pundit about the poll.

There was just one problem: Nobody knew if the poll was real. Delphi Analytica’s website came online July 6, mere weeks before the Kid Rock poll was supposedly conducted. The pollster had basically no fingerprint on the web.

Indeed, Delphi Analytica isn’t a polling firm in any traditional sense, and it’s not entirely clear they even conducted the poll as advertised.
But some of the raw data in Delphi Analytica’s Kid Rock poll is, at the very least, strange. Kid Rock leads Stabenow 26 percent to 18 percent among the 72 respondents in Detroit, for instance. While the margin of error on this subsample is large and it’s certainly possible that Kid Rock’s unique candidacy would upset the normal electoral map, there just aren’t very many Republicans in Detroit — Hillary Clinton beat President Trump there 95 percent to 3 percent.

A look at the raw data released by Delphi Analytica also reveals a formatting inconsistency among those answering “I prefer not to answer.” With the way the data is sorted when it’s downloaded from the Delphi Analytica site, the responses appearing in the first half of the spreadsheet capitalize the “I”; for responses in the second half, the “I” is lowercase (“i prefer not to answer”). That shouldn’t happen if the results of one poll are automatically imported into a spreadsheet, as they typically are when a poll is conducted using Google Surveys. This suggests that either the results were changed or multiple surveys were combined. Either way, it’s the type of artifact you tend to see in polls that aren’t on the level.
tl;dr: #FakePoll
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's too early for fake polls.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kid Rock accused of violating federal election law by teasing his Senate run
Kid Rock is being accused of violating federal law by touting his campaign for a seat in the U.S. Senate this summer and selling campaign merchandise, but without formally registering as a candidate and making certain public disclosures, according to a complaint filed on Friday by the group Common Cause.

"Regardless of whether Kid Rock says he's only exploring candidacy, he's selling ‘Kid Rock for Senate' merchandise and is a candidate under the law. This is campaign finance law 101," Paul S. Ryan, Common Cause's vice president for policy and litigation said in a statement. "Given the activities we've documented in the complaint, he can't reasonably claim to be merely testing the waters of candidacy and thus exempt from candidate filing requirements. He is a candidate and is obligated to abide by all the rules and make the same disclosures required of everyone else running for federal office."

Common Cause is urging the Justice Department and the Federal Election Commission to start an investigation into Kid Rock's campaign and "impose appropriate sanctions for any and all violations" that apply to the Federal Election Campaign Act.
Odds of a Trump Justice Department starting this investigation is probably close to zero. Now if Chelsea Clinton was running they would be all over this.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Barf
In a four-minute speech he made time for a diatribe on LGBT rights.

He said: “And why these days is everything so gay? Gay rights. Transgender this and that. I say let gay folks get married if they want and I’m not even close to a death trap.

“But things shouldn’t be this complicated. And, no, you don’t get to choose, because whatever you have between your legs should determine the bathroom that you use.”

He added: “It’s no secret we’re divided and we all should take some blame. We should be ashamed because we all seem scared to call [Jesus] by his name.

“So, please almighty Jesus, if you’re looking down tonight, please guide us with your wisdom and give us the strength to fight.

“To fight the tyrant evils that lurk here and abroad and remind us all we are still just one nation under God.”
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Notice the verbiage of "rant" in the title and "diatribe" in the first sentence of the quote. I wonder what they are trying to say about the Kid? :think:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Not sure I'm getting your point.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Skinypupy wrote:Not sure I'm getting your point.
Looking at that group of quotes I don't see a coherent thought worth getting outraged over.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Moliere wrote:
Looking at that group of quotes I don't see a coherent thought worth getting outraged over.
Well, this would do it for a lot of people.
And, no, you don’t get to choose, because whatever you have between your legs should determine the bathroom that you use.
While I agree that much of what was quoted wasn't all that coherent, his position regarding transgender issues seems quite straight forward. Whether it's worth getting outraged over probably depends on whether one has a strongly divergent opinion on the issue.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote:Barf
In a four-minute speech he made time for a diatribe on LGBT rights.

He said: “And why these days is everything so gay? Gay rights. Transgender this and that. I say let gay folks get married if they want and I’m not even close to a death trap.

“But things shouldn’t be this complicated. And, no, you don’t get to choose, because whatever you have between your legs should determine the bathroom that you use.”

He added: “It’s no secret we’re divided and we all should take some blame. We should be ashamed because we all seem scared to call [Jesus] by his name.

“So, please almighty Jesus, if you’re looking down tonight, please guide us with your wisdom and give us the strength to fight.

“To fight the tyrant evils that lurk here and abroad and remind us all we are still just one nation under God.”
Is this satire or was he singing? It is bothering me that all of those lines rhyme. I mean it works for the most part, except that for that "death trap" that just doesn't fit. He's no Eminem.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Max Peck wrote:
Moliere wrote:
And, no, you don’t get to choose, because whatever you have between your legs should determine the bathroom that you use.
While I agree that much of what was quoted wasn't all that coherent, his position regarding transgender issues seems quite straight forward. Whether it's worth getting outraged over probably depends on whether one has a strongly divergent opinion on the issue.
Well, not sure that that is so clear either. It kind of sounds from the context around it like he means for people to use the bathroom of their birth gender. But the "what you have between your legs" standard would seem to allow post-op trans people to use the bathroom of their new gender.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The next senator from the great state of Michigan wrote:I say let gay folks get married if they want and I’m not even close to a death trap.
What's with the death trap reference? If you endorse gay marriage does that risk you getting caught in a death trap? Or is it that many people have only endorsed gay marriage under threat of getting locked in a death trap?
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

El Guapo wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
Moliere wrote:
Well, not sure that that is so clear either. It kind of sounds from the context around it like he means for people to use the bathroom of their birth gender. But the "what you have between your legs" standard would seem to allow post-op trans people to use the bathroom of their new gender.
Fair enough, although I suspect you're putting more thought into it than he did.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Max Peck wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
Moliere wrote:
Fair enough, although I suspect you're putting more thought into it than he did.
I agree, I was just disagreeing with your "his position is clear" statement.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:What's with the death trap reference? If you endorse gay marriage does that risk you getting caught in a death trap? Or is it that many people have only endorsed gay marriage under threat of getting locked in a death trap?
According to Bruce Springsteen it is a reference to this town. I can only assume Kid Rock was confused and thinks all marriage is Death Trap.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote:Is this satire or was he singing? It is bothering me that all of those lines rhyme. I mean it works for the most part, except that for that "death trap" that just doesn't fit. He's no Eminem.
He was just being lyrical.
(Note that this appears to be from an earlier appearance, and doesn't include the LGBT comments.)
Last edited by Max Peck on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That R is becoming a C so fast if he wins a seat...
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The dream is over.
Mocking people who took the idea seriously, Kid Rock said Tuesday morning he's not running for U.S. Senate.

"F--- no, I’m not running for Senate. Are you kidding me?" Rock said on Howard Stern's SiriusXM show. "Who couldn’t figure that out? I’m releasing a new album. I’m going on tour too. Are you f---ing sh--ing me?"

Rock's new album, "Sweet Southern Sugar," will be released Nov. 3, Stern said at the start of a wide-ranging interview that tackled Rock's wealth, his distaste for the music business and his 2018 tour plans.

Rock said the Senate idea — which he publicly toyed with for months — was a mixed blessing.

"It’s the worst advice I ever gave myself, but it's been the most creative thing I’ve ever done," he said. "And I’ve gotten to see everyone’s true colors."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think that's for the best for everyone.
Black Lives Matter.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 pm It's always possible that it's really all about the merch. https://twitter.com/KidRock/status/887434789523001344
:clap:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kid Rock wrote:"It’s the worst advice I ever gave myself, but it's been the most creative thing I’ve ever done,"
Kid Rock: "All my music sucks!"
"And I’ve gotten to see everyone’s true colors."
"Also, apparently some people think I should help make the laws!"
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.