Senator Rock

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Moliere

Senator Rock

Post by Moliere »

Not the Rock you were hoping for.

Michigan Senate Race Between Kid Rock And Debbie Stabenow Will Be a Toss-Up
In contrast, little rock star excitement surrounds a fourth term for Stabenow, an unimaginative machine pol who resembles an overweight, scolding aunt who might inspire fights over who has to sit next to her at Thanksgiving dinner. Charisma matters. He’s got it; she doesn’t.

With inchoate conservativism on economic issues and libertarian views on social issues, a party-line liberal like Stabenow will find few policy angles to attack Ritchie. She will play the standard character assassination game, but “racist plutocrat” or “McConnell stooge” are unlikely to work on an already defined public figure. She will have to dwell on Ritchie’s misdeeds, but what can Stabenow say that voters haven’t already heard and discounted?

While Ritchie will have to hit the books—he’s no one’s idea of a policy wonk—and develop a cogent list of reasons why he wants the job, there is every reason to believe that he could be a very strong candidate. For Stabenow, first elected in 2000 and currently below 50 percent in approval rating, Ritchie’s entry into a race for what was rated a safe seat must be a thoroughly unpleasant shock.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Re: Senator Rock

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if they'll make him wear a shirt when they're in session?
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

"who resembles an overweight, scolding aunt who might inspire fights over who has to sit next to her at Thanksgiving dinner."

Classy.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think if such an intellectually vapid and morally suspect celebrity douchebag had the arrogance to announce a run for office, no matter how liberal their warbling, the Dem standard-bearers would have the integrity to reject them.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Holman wrote:I think if such an intellectually vapid and morally suspect celebrity douchebag had the arrogance to announce a run for office, no matter how liberal their warbling, the Dem standard-bearers would have the integrity to reject them.
Really? Saving this quote for later if I ever find the energy to Google examples of morally suspect celebrity Democrat politicians.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Moliere wrote:
Holman wrote:I think if such an intellectually vapid and morally suspect celebrity douchebag had the arrogance to announce a run for office, no matter how liberal their warbling, the Dem standard-bearers would have the integrity to reject them.
Really? Saving this quote for later if I ever find the energy to Google examples of morally suspect celebrity Democrat politicians.
Let me know when Charlie Sheen runs for office and I'll be the first in line to vote against.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Does Jerry Springer as the Mayor of Cincinnati count?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Why would the "Dem standard-bearers" have anything to do with it? Kid Rock has an established record as a GOP and Trump supporter.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Moliere wrote:Does Jerry Springer as the Mayor of Cincinnati count?
He was mayor before he was celebrity.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

I wonder if he should seek the endorsement of the Scott Stapp?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's always possible that it's really all about the merch. https://twitter.com/KidRock/status/887434789523001344

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From his Twitter feed:
I’m a cyclone of shit wherever I roam.
I think someone already has that covered.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Moliere wrote:
I'd suggest Al Franken, but he has a following here. :shifty:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote:morally suspect .... politicians.
No need to be redundant.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Fitzy wrote:
Moliere wrote:
In what way is he "morally suspect"? Please, share with the class. :pop:

Holman

Post by Holman »

When you're down to Kid Rock, you're down to "anyone with name recognition will do." I'm just surprised no one has floated Senator Nugent yet.

Moliere, I assume you like Rock because he's an avowed Libertarian. I know Gary Johnson was a bust, but surely there are party champions available who have at least some understanding of issues and some demonstrated capacity to advocate for solutions rather than slogans.

Kid Rock ain't that guy.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Holman wrote:When you're down to Kid Rock, you're down to "anyone with name recognition will do." I'm just surprised no one has floated Senator Nugent yet.

Moliere, I assume you like Rock because he's an avowed Libertarian. I know Gary Johnson was a bust, but surely there are party champions available who have at least some understanding of issues and some demonstrated capacity to advocate for solutions rather than slogans.

Kid Rock ain't that guy.
I know almost nothing about the guy or his politics. I like his song Picture with Sheryl Crow.

If anything, I am only responding to your idea that the Democrats are so much more intellectually and morally superior to Republicans as to never allow a candidate like this represent their party. I detest both parties equally.

As for Ted Nugent, ask you shall receive. Though maybe he agreed to let Kid Rock win the seat.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Moliere wrote:
Spoiler:
Al Franken (Democrat) (U.S. Senator, Minnesota; incumbent)
Alan Autry (Republican) (Mayor of Fresno, California)
Arnold Schwarzenegger (Republican) (Governor of California)
Ben Jones (Democrat) (U.S. Congressman, 4th District of Georgia)
Clint Eastwood (Republican, but describes himself as libertarian) (Mayor of Carmel, California)
Donald Trump (Republican) (President of the United States)
Fred Grandy (Republican) (U.S. Representative, Iowa)
Fred Thompson (Republican) (U.S. Senator, Tennessee and unsuccessful presidential candidate)
George Murphy (Republican) (U.S. Senator, California)
Helen Gahagan (Democrat) (U.S. Representative, 14th District of California)
Jack Kelly, mayor of Huntington Beach, Calif.
Jerry Springer (Democrat) (Mayor of Cincinnati, Ohio)
Jesse Ventura (formerly Reform; currently Independence Party of Minnesota) (Governor of Minnesota)
John Davis Lodge (Republican) (Governor of Connecticut)
John Gavin (Republican) (U.S. diplomat; Ambassador to Mexico)
Jon Runyan (Republican) (U.S. Representative of 3rd District of New Jersey)
Kal Penn (Democrat) (Associate Director in the White House Office of Public Engagement for the Barack Obama administration)
Melissa Gilbert (Democrat)
Nancy Kulp (Democrat) (unsuccessful nominee for U.S. House of Representatives, Pennsylvania)
Raj Bhakta (Republican) (unsuccessful candidate for U.S. House of Representatives, Pennsylvania)
Ralph Waite (Democrat) (unsuccessful nominee for U.S. House of Representatives)
Robert Montgomery (Republican)
Ronald Reagan (Republican) (Governor of California, President of the United States)
Sean Duffy (Republican) U.S. Representative, 7th District of Wisconsin
Sheila Kuehl (Democrat) (California State Senator)
Shirley Temple Black (Republican) (U.S. diplomat; Ambassador to Ghana and Czechoslovakia, Chief of Protocol of the United States)
Sonny Bono (Republican) (U.S. Representative, 44th District of California)
Stephen Peace (Democrat) (California State Senator)
Wendell Corey (City councilman of Santa Monica, California), (Republican) (unsuccessful candidate for U.S. House of Representatives, California), 1966
Franken went to Harvard. I think Rock drove by Harvard once.

Most of the really goofy ones are GOP, oddly enough. Springer being a huge exception...although he started as a politician and then became an annoying celebrity.

Kid Rock is a jackass who would only win because he was supported by folks who are...well...confused.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

But Kid Rock's working class background is the authenticity voters are looking for. Nothing reflects this more than his childhood home:

Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Max Peck wrote:
Fitzy wrote:
Moliere wrote:
In what way is he "morally suspect"? Please, share with the class. :pop:
''

He's a Senator! :confusion-shrug:

I did a quick search. I got nothing. Apparently my entire dislike of the guy comes from vague, mostly forgotten stuff that happened in the 2008 election.

I also don't appreciate being called out, this is R&P, since when does anyone have to back up the crazy shit they say? :liar: :oops:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Who do you think you are? Trump?
He won. Period.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

You are a liar and that statement is clearly a desperate move to keep me from speaking the truth. I've spoken to my lawyer and we will be bringing a big lawsuit. The biggest! And the best. I only have the best lawyers.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wait a minute...are you giving me the middle finger? I can't tell from here. Your hands are so small.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote:"who resembles an overweight, scolding aunt who might inspire fights over who has to sit next to her at Thanksgiving dinner."

Classy.
I vaguely remember her as an up-and-coming firebreathing liberal when I was at MSU 1977-79. Wiki says that's when she went from county commissioner to state rep. She had a lot of support among students.

So yeah, she got old. Bad decision, Debbie.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

hepcat wrote:Wait a minute...are you giving me the middle finger? I can't tell from here. Your hands are so small.
There are two possibilities.

1. My hands are Yuge, given we are 700 miles apart and yet you can still see them. Therefore proving you are a liar.
2. You are a peeping Tom, looking through my window which is distorting the size of my hands. Which I believe I already mentioned are Yuge.

So, are you a liar or pervert?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

"or"?
He won. Period.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

hepcat wrote:"or"?
Rip

Post by Rip »

I for one am appalled at the witch hunt launched against my great friend Fitzy.

Caused by nothing more than his adoring admiration of me.

Sad!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Captain Caveman wrote:But Kid Rock's working class background is the authenticity voters are looking for. Nothing reflects this more than his childhood home:
He was never Detroit and he was never working class. He does care about his fans and the city or Detroit, though. Much like our president, he is not above lying to cast an image. I think Ritchie would represent Michigan better than Stabenow does but would not be good for the US because he'd be an even more of a tow the line Republican than she is a tow the line Democrat. The fact that he would represent the state better is going to be a very real problem Stabenow and that makes me :( He'll hide behind libertarian/(moderate social) conservatism but he won't pursue it, much as he proudly waves the Confederate battle flag.

I'm no fan of Stabenow but she'll get my vote.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Toe. The fucking. Line.

Unless you're talking about tugboats, in which case, tow the line all day long. :coffee:

Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Rip wrote:I for one am appalled at the witch hunt launched against my great friend Fitzy.

Caused by nothing more than his adoring admiration of me.

Sad!
:wub:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

How Kid Rock Can Win Michigan’s 2018 Senate Seat
Here’s Kid Rock’s Gameplan
If Kid Rock runs, his plan should be simple.

Do a free concert in all 83 counties of Michigan, and have an aggressive new voter registration operation there at the shows.

Ostentatiously refuse to ever speak to any press who covers politics, and only speak to entertainment, music, or local small-town newspaper reporters. (We have already learned from Trump what a great foil the press can be for a candidate.) This would drive the press insane, even while they cover his every move.

Embrace digital communication and speak directly to voters in edgy, even outrageous ways that would force the press to re-run Kid Rock ads for free.

Run as an aggressive populist campaign, attacking special interests, and pledge not to take a single donation over $100. Despite that, the campaign would likely raise $5-7 million online.

Absolutely pound Debbie Stabenow from Day One, both defining his real opponent and making all other GOP opponents look small.

Is Kid Rock going to run? I have absolutely no idea. Could he win? To borrow a phrase from the man himself: Hell, yeah.
Holman

Post by Holman »

That's the Trump campaign model: hold feel-good rallies to thrill low-information voters while generating publicity through controversy, all for an unqualified celebrity candidate who is never expected to address the issues in any serious way.

(If those local/entertainment press types start asking serious questions, they get cast aside with the "political reporters," right?)

It definitely might work, but that's only a sign that our Republic is sick.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

First poll, and Kid Rock is ahead. https://twitter.com/RobertCahaly/status ... 8995558400
What a world, what a world.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:cry:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Next thing you know, some Hollywood actor will be in The White House and a comedian will be in the Senate.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's too early for polls!

But seriously, that's one poll by a pollster that I've never heard of before, and (per their Twitter account) recently appeared on Fox News to describe how biased pollsters are artificially lowering Trump's approval ratings.

Not saying that Kid Rock doesn't have a chance, but this doesn't mean all that much.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

“Well, I haven’t seen a legitimate poll that showed him ahead..."
Rock, in a statement last week, said he created a 501(c)4 organization in an effort to explore his candidacy for U.S. Senate. “One thing is for sure though, The Democrats are ‘shattin’ in their pantaloons’ right now… and rightfully so!” Rock said. He added: “And if I decide to throw my hat in the ring for US Senate, believe me,” he assures, “it’s game on mthrf——.”
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Moliere wrote:“Well, I haven’t seen a legitimate poll that showed him ahead..."
Rock, in a statement last week, said he created a 501(c)4 organization in an effort to explore his candidacy for U.S. Senate. “One thing is for sure though, The Democrats are ‘shattin’ in their pantaloons’ right now… and rightfully so!” Rock said. He added: “And if I decide to throw my hat in the ring for US Senate, believe me,” he assures, “it’s game on mthrf——.”
Stabenow is a big fat liar. The day Kid Rock threw is smelly hat into the ring she was all over social media asking in a panicky tone for everyone to line her warchest. Either she was trying to fleece the voters then or is she overstating her case now. I find it hard to believe she's gained some sort of enlightenment in the last two weeks that sets her apart from having seen Michigan vote in favor of Trump.

man, I would to see her challenged in the primary by someone worth being happy to vote for....
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:
Moliere wrote:“Well, I haven’t seen a legitimate poll that showed him ahead..."
Stabenow is a big fat liar. The day Kid Rock threw is smelly hat into the ring she was all over social media asking in a panicky tone for everyone to line her warchest. Either she was trying to fleece the voters then or is she overstating her case now. I find it hard to believe she's gained some sort of enlightenment in the last two weeks that sets her apart from having seen Michigan vote in favor of Trump.

man, I would to see her challenged in the primary by someone worth being happy to vote for....
Political fundraising seems to have a manic depressive aspect to it. The trick being that in order to convince people to give money to your campaign, you need to convince them that there is a real danger of you losing, or else there's no reason to donate. On the other hand you also need to convince them that you are not doomed, because then there would also be no reason to donate. So a lot of the solicitations I get tend to vary between "we are in huge danger!" and "we got this (with your help)!"
Black Lives Matter.